Return to “Dev Logs”

[Josh] Friday, October 13, 2017

Friday, October 13, 2017

In the last log I promised that today, I would turn over the hourglass and write a devlog. So that's what I'm going to do :geek: Better get going, those grains are relentless.

This week, I...

• Implemented a spatial hash grid structure similar but far superior in performance to what LT C++ used to use for physics
  • Added xxHash to the engine; replaced several internal hash function usages with xxHash to reap the performance benefits; did some performance benchmarking to confirm how awesome it is (thanks to Adam for bringing its existence to my attention)
  • Used the aforementioned spatial hgrid to implement broadphase collision detection; despite being in Lua and still being quite non-clever (other than hgrid usage), it performs remarkably well
  • Implemented a generic C-style hash map with open addressing and lossy hashing for ultra-fast lookups (profiled @ roughly 5x the GCC 4.8 libstdc++ unordered_map impl; not that it matters); will be used in the near future for gameplay-related code
  • Unified parent/child relationships in CType components
  • Introduced and experimented with a new pattern of 'components as functions' -- since the CTypes system has 'type descriptors,' we can add fields and methods via normal functions that operate on type descriptors (a very dynamic-language-esque thing to do); doing so may simplify component logic -- we'll see!
  • Implemented powerful new mechanisms in the CTypes core to support automatic constructors, destructors, initializers (with arbitrary arguments), and automatic reference-counting
  • Used said mechanisms to simplify a lot of code
  • Used said mechanisms to help implement the Item and Blueprint classes in CTypes (I'm itching to get rolling on gameplay, so I've started working on adding some of the gameplay-related datatypes and such!)
  • Implemented two (very) different types of script manager to explore options for writing gameplay logic
  • Wrote a simple AI test script in each script format to explore usability, performance, concision
  • Took some time, while I was at it, to implement a new AI maneuvering algorithm that uses the PID (proportional-integral-derivative) controller algorithm to robustly achieve a desired position and orientation with minimal stupidity; results are really encouraging...the AI is better than ever before at piloting! (That is, in terms of the basic stuff like adjusting course and thrust. We still need to pull over Sean's work to get real formations and collision avoidance and so forth!)

Last week, I talked a lot about building a system to efficiently support gameplay logic. I could continue that subject and talk at length about how I went about doing so this week...but I want to talk about new things. Plus, I'm sure that the scripting engine is something you'll hear about frequently in the coming logs, so let's not beat a dead horse before it even dies ._.

Instead, I'll just talk about the AI logic that I wrote today using one of the two script architectures that I built this week.

AI Maneuvering Using Proportional-Integral-Derivative (PID) Control

A friend at work who is doing some real-life AI piloting coding (for a quadcopter drone, nonetheless) mentioned this 'PID' algorithm to me. I had never heard of it before, but it sounded interesting. Like the vast majority of my memory, it slipped away below the visible horizon of my consciousness until today, when, while trying to write some representative gameplay code to test out the script scheduler, I was messing with AI piloting (read: watching really dumb AI ships thrust themselves into oblivion, or, if lucky, get caught in a headache-inducing micro-orbit, doing donuts in space at 10Hz). That's when it surfaced, by chance, and I went to ask him more about AI piloting algorithms. A few hours and a bit of math later, AI ships were forming up on me in record time, with an all-time-low of overshoots and micro-oscillations. Even the small, drone-sized ships that currently have an absurd angular-thrust-to-inertia ratio (yes, these were the ones doing donuts...) and can't even be piloted by yours truly are stable and well-behaved. The AI now rocks at piloting mechanics. The magic was all in the PID controller algorithm.

PID is a really elegant way to approach 'black box' control. By that, I mean that one does not have to know all details of what is being controlled. In the case of AI, we do, of course, know what actually happens when a thruster is fired: an impulse is applied to the ship at a specific point, resulting in a net torque and net force on the ship, resulting in a change in linear and angular velocity, resulting in the ship changing position or orientation or both over time, etc. We know that there is some drag, both linear and angular (because Josh doesn't think space jousting is fun; if you do then comment out the two lines of code that add drag to the game instead of yelling at me on twitter :ghost:), we know that ships have some mass and maybe an anisotropic inertial tensor that will affect what happens when we thrust.

Yeah, we have a lot of knowledge. But to take all of this garbage and make it into an algorithm that gets a simple ole' mining ship from A to B? Surely it isn't so hard. Surely we don't need ten chalkboards-worth of archaic greek symbols just to make sure that Mr. Node the Nodely of Nodooine can point his ship at a rock and mine some Dense Nodespar without igniting three of his four engines before slamming into a rock and dying a violent space death due to some 'minor' thrust miscalculations.

I mean, what do you -- presumably a human (if not, hi Taiya, glad you finally achieved sentience \o/) -- do when you go to control something in a new game? Figure out what physics equations the game uses, then use them to solve for the button/duration-of-press required to attain a certain position/orientation/steam achievement? Of course not! You're both much less clever and yet much more clever than that at the same time! You bang your hands and face against the keyboard until that little box pops up with "Achievement Unlocked: You have walked 5cm!" (Obviously a joke, no game would congratulate you for walking a certain distance... :ghost: :ghost:) How did you pull this off?? Well, maybe you figured out that if you press this button, you go forward. Maybe you pressed it too hard or for too long and now you're going too fast or have overshot your target, so you back off a bit, and repeat this process with the rest of the controls until you're 720-noscoping noobs through walls with an AWP while moonwalking and bunny-hopping at the same time. Ah, learning. :ugeek:

PID attempts to replicate the coremost features of that control process: identify a desired change (a proportional error), vary a control output with that desire, keep track of how said variation affects the rate of change (derivative) in error, and keep track of total error accumulated (integral). Using these factors alone in a simple equation is sufficient to achieve high-quality control over many processes. If you add a second derivative term, i.e. keep track of the rate of change of the error derivative, you can achieve even finer control over (non-linear) processes. This is exactly what I used to implement the new AI maneuvering algorithm, and it works beautifully -- all without having to touch specific knowledge like thruster output or drag constants.

I'm interested to see if this algorithm can be applied to higher-level bits of the AI, like project management. I'm also interested to get Sean's AI code pulled over so that we can have obstacle avoidance and formations. The good news is that, from these tests, it looks like this gameplay logic solution is viable. That'd be fantastic, because it's turning out to be super-easy to write logic with the candidate systems I built this week. More performance testing is necessary, though, since I only just got some real logic going on today.

Yayyy for sustainable devlog writing! Let's keep at it!

See you next week :)

PS ~ I know I hardly mentioned Adam at all in this log, but he's hard at work as well. I figure, since he's now officially posting devlogs of his own volition, and I'm trying to keep my logs more frequent and less overwhelming, I'll leave his work for his own logs. I will say, however, that he has done some really good stuff this week both with working toward various pieces of gameplay (ship hardpoints, turret control, WIP mining) as well as hammering at low-level things (we have a memory usage graph now! And it's already proven its worth by showing us where to optimize things that needed it badly :ghost:)

Yet another screenshot gallery is in order for this devlog! Just some shots of physics and AI from this week.

Shooting new asteroid fields into existence with the asteroid gun and broadphase collision detection (5K+ asteroids all colliding with one another at >60FPS!)

A thousand AI friendsss using PID to follow me in formation with really nice piloting. I should really cap an animated gif of the AI in action so you guys can see the piloting in motion. Will try to get one soon.

Ready to dominate the universe :X

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” ~ Henry Ford
Re: [Josh] Friday, October 13, 2017

Great log Josh. I'm a bit surprised you are trying for weekly logs now. Don't burn yourself out. Thanks for the information and the pretty pictures. I'm glad to see that the foundation for gameplay is beginning to be worked on now.

One question though: What was wrong with the old AI logic (mining and following) which made it necessary to replace it with this new code?

Have a great weekend!

PS: I like those cute X-TIEs

... how does one not know about PID when it comes to controlling things.... HOW

if you had mentioned that that stuff is a problem that answer would have come from at least 3 directions in the first second :ghost:

PID is magic (if you tune its constants correctly)

BFett wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:10 pm
Great log Josh. I'm a bit surprised you are trying for weekly logs now. Don't burn yourself out. Thanks for the information and the pretty pictures. I'm glad to see that the foundation for gameplay is beginning to be worked on now.

One question though: What was wrong with the old AI logic (mining and following) which made it necessary to replace it with this new code?

Have a great weekend!

PS: I like those cute X-TIEs

if you read closely its just josh complaining about his AI being unable to steer precisely :P
nothing about mining but the example ship doing it while doing the steering stupidity

You've got me interested in PID and I'm working on making a little playpen to try it out.
I am a little confused though.

From what I can tell, PID is a way to modulate the power output based on a "goal point".
I'm under the assumption that Josh is using it to steer/move ships towards a "goal point".
But is he using a single PID controller per ship? Or is it one per thruster on a ship?
An idea that is not dangerous is unworthy of being called an idea at all. - Oscar Wilde

We often refuse to accept an idea merely because the tone of voice in which it has been expressed is unsympathetic to us. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Since the output is a single value (1 dimension), I guess the error is the lateral devition from the target point, and the controlled value is the steering angle to apply.
(trust left/right)
Then there is probably another PID for the forward/backward trust. (error is distance to target-point)
And one for up/down. (another angle error)

Those 3 PIDs control then forward, yaw and tilt trusters.

Wich makes it 9 Parameters to tune.

So what performance benefits from the xxHash are we talking about here? it's faster, but what does that ultimately mean for the game experience? Does it mean higher AI counts? Quicker load times when travelling through a wormhole while the game generates the assets in the next system? Higher framerates with lots of objects on screen? Does it mean we can now have "real" debris fields as ship modules can blow up dynamically and now you have to worry about flying chunks of dead ships slamming into your own? (Especially with the new physics and ECS able to handle oodles of objects)

Also, for formations, might I suggest taking a look at this scene of an Anime Space battle
Spoiler:      SHOW
Specifically of interest is the geometric formations, shown here

It stirs my imagination as to different formations fleets could take in 3D space. Rather than getting the spherical blob of ships around a center point as in EVE,
With some probably quite simple tweaks to the math, you could have more elegant and interesting formations:
Challenging your assumptions is good for your health, good for your business, and good for your future. Stay skeptical but never undervalue the importance of a new and unfamiliar perspective.
Imagination Fertilizer
Beauty may not save the world, but it's the only thing that can

Damocles wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:14 am
Since the output is a single value (1 dimension), I guess the error is the lateral devition from the target point, and the controlled value is the steering angle to apply.
(trust left/right)
Then there is probably another PID for the forward/backward trust. (error is distance to target-point)
And one for up/down. (another angle error)

Those 3 PIDs control then forward, yaw and tilt trusters.

Wich makes it 9 Parameters to tune.
I was thinking about that too, but considering Josh wants procedural ships with procedural thrusters, it might be better to work on autotuning over time. Would make new ships a little fluttery, but I'd say that adds to immersion.

I'm not sure PID would work for yaw and tilt.
Mainly because PID only outputs a single value, and you would have to interpret that value for all thrusters that can affect yaw/tilt. That would add in a lot of complexity and I'm not sure you could automate that "interpretation".

From what I understand PID to be, PID controllers are a way to adjust the power being applied to a device.
In Josh's case, he's slapping a PID onto all thrusters and the PID controller adjusts the power so that it reaches its "goal point". For maneuvering thrusters, the PID controller's "goal point" is to be pointing towards the target point so the main thrusters can move you to there. For the Engine thrusters, the PID controller pushes power to the engines to move you to the "goal point", but they also control the power so you don't overshoot.

At least that's what I'm getting from my research.
Really gotta see this in action before I know for sure.

EDIT:
Hyperion wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:19 am
With some probably quite simple tweaks to the math, you could have more elegant and interesting formations:
.. that would be awesome.

Not sure it would be very effective in a battle, but forming up before a battle would be cool to watch.
An idea that is not dangerous is unworthy of being called an idea at all. - Oscar Wilde

We often refuse to accept an idea merely because the tone of voice in which it has been expressed is unsympathetic to us. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Kekasi wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:36 am
I was thinking about that too, but considering Josh wants procedural ships with procedural thrusters, it might be better to work on autotuning over time. Would make new ships a little fluttery, but I'd say that adds to immersion.

I'm not sure PID would work for yaw and tilt.
Mainly because PID only outputs a single value, and you would have to interpret that value for all thrusters that can affect yaw/tilt. That would add in a lot of complexity and I'm not sure you could automate that "interpretation".

From what I understand PID to be, PID controllers are a way to adjust the power being applied to a device.
In Josh's case, he's slapping a PID onto all thrusters and the PID controller adjusts the power so that it reaches its "goal point". For maneuvering thrusters, the PID controller's "goal point" is to be pointing towards the target point so the main thrusters can move you to there. For the Engine thrusters, the PID controller pushes power to the engines to move you to the "goal point", but they also control the power so you don't overshoot.

... or you dont feed the PID directly into the thrusters but into a directional/rotational control which then calculates the right thruster ratios
which then does give 6 independent values that you feed into your thruster ratio matrix to actually control the thrust

Cornflakes_91 wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:11 am
Kekasi wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:36 am

... or you dont feed the PID directly into the thrusters but into a directional/rotational control which then calculates the right thruster ratios
which then does give 6 independent values that you feed into your thruster ratio matrix to actually control the thrust
My main concern is the amount of complexity that would be needed to make this work for all ships and situations. Especially battle situations where some thruster would be destroyed.

My vote is to push all that complexity into the PID controller, and then make it as efficient as possible.
Although, currently I don't know the differences in performance and if there's a large enough drop just from PID controllers, then I agree that there needs to be a middle ground between using them and having faster custom controllers.

Kekasi wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:11 am
My main concern is the amount of complexity that would be needed to make this work for all ships and situations. Especially battle situations where some thruster would be destroyed.

My vote is to push all that complexity into the PID controller, and then make it as efficient as possible.
Although, currently I don't know the differences in performance and if there's a large enough drop just from PID controllers, then I agree that there needs to be a middle ground between using them and having faster custom controllers.
PID's are very few lines of code per axis, a lot less calc than the rest of the physics for any ship.

And what complexity?
if theres realistic thruster influences on motion you need the axis <-> thruster matrix solver anyway.
What you put on top of it doesnt exactly matter for its complexity.

Online Now