Return to “Dev Logs”

Re: [Josh] Wednesday, October 4, 2017

Thank you, Josh.

From the things described here, it sounds we'll know we've passed the hump and are on the homestretch when your updates contain more "implemented gameplay feature X today" bullet points than "implemented/improved infrastructure system Y" items.

Between your comments and Adam's, it feels like that day is not far away. Bravo!

JoshParnell wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:13 pm

At least this way I'm able to write logs in a reasonable amount of time while still providing juicy details + a high-level picture of progress.
And what's even better? When you keep this up every week, we can have Talv summarise these to the kickstarter lads as progression in the project.
Keeps everyone happy :)

So happy for you Josh, it's just like how I suggested it recently :D

As for mod-loading, it would be cool if there were a feature to output the differences between two or more mods.. actually, you've probably already thought of it, but it would help modders to understand where conflicts arise.
:ghost:
YAY PYTHON \o/

In Josh We Trust
-=326.3827=-

FormalMoss wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:44 am
JoshParnell wrote:

At least this way I'm able to write logs in a reasonable amount of time while still providing juicy details + a high-level picture of progress.
And what's even better? When you keep this up every week, we can have Talv summarise these to the kickstarter lads as progression in the project.
Keeps everyone happy :)
It would keep me happy!

Here's my video review of this dev log: https://youtu.be/CCJ1em7R0MY
Shoot ALL the things!

Has anyone else noticed the ship? And how there's a plug for Josh's IRC nick? :monkey:
(Click through for a bigger image, and such a pity a 'roid is sitting just aft of the ship)

Now maybe it's the zoomed-out nature of the picture, but it definitely appears more beveled than the ships of the past? Have they been working on the ship-gen code? :ghost:
I know it's probably flat/ rectangular considering the primitives, but from first glance, it almost looks like a glass cockpit..

tab.node, btw
Just in case you were wondering :ghost:
:lol:
YAY PYTHON \o/

In Josh We Trust
-=326.3827=-

FormalMoss wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:56 pm
Has anyone else noticed the ship? And how there's a plug for Josh's IRC nick? :monkey:
(Click through for a bigger image, and such a pity a 'roid is sitting just aft of the ship)

Now maybe it's the zoomed-out nature of the picture, but it definitely appears more beveled than the ships of the past? Have they been working on the ship-gen code? :ghost:
I know it's probably flat/ rectangular considering the primitives, but from first glance, it almost looks like a glass cockpit..

tab.node, btw
Just in case you were wondering :ghost:
:lol:
Those engines certainly look a bit more circular than we've seen in quite some time. I can't make out if the cockpit area is transparent or not. I would love to see some Imperial Gun Ship looking fighters in LT to accompany that Y-wing looking ship.

I know Josh is interested in making the ships prettier for certain, but to be honest I don't think he'd make cockpit windows - especially not transparent ones. At the moment the ships are still all metallic. He hasn't put too much work into improving the algorithm. I've offered to pitch in, but I don't think he's interested in letting me handle that code. :P Especially not without me being in Baton Rouge.
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

davidparadis wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:20 am
Here's my video review of this dev log: https://youtu.be/CCJ1em7R0MY
Seriously, I love your recap videos. Yours is also a soothing voice. Not quite Josh, but that's a really high bar! :thumbup:
Challenging your assumptions is good for your health, good for your business, and good for your future. Stay skeptical but never undervalue the importance of a new and unfamiliar perspective.
Imagination Fertilizer
Beauty may not save the world, but it's the only thing that can

Victor Tombs wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:45 pm
Aren't asteroids great, Josh?
Not really a question more a statement of fact. :D :angel:

Obvious trick question is obvious ;D Asteroids are the best \o/

FormalMoss wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:56 pm

Honestly it's the same algorithm that it's been since I wrote that one a while back. The fact that they're beveled more aggressively is just coincidence I guess. Talv is right, I haven't put much effort into ship algorithms. There is already some exciting news brewing on that front, though :)

Also, that tab.node thing is actually some LuaJIT or Lua annotation, not my doing :P Nice catch, though :lol:

quickpocket wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:36 pm
Where did we first hear about Plume? I must have missed it, but it looks super cool (and of course, no longer actually being developed :P)

Literally in this devlog :lol: Yes, it's a shame, but...pragmatism :clap: :think: :cry:

Cornflakes_91 wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:30 am
JoshParnell wrote:
At some point, it may actually sink in to this thick head of mine :oops:
*takes drill, takes hammer, drills hole in head, hammers "regular updates" into head, glues head shut*

there, i hope that holds this time :squirrel:

Seems to have held for at least a week so far :ghost: Nice brain engineering skills!

Cornflakes_91 wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:30 am
JoshParnell wrote:
a piece of logic is a thread, sparse logic is a thread that waits on condition variables (a fundamental synchronization primitive used in low-level kernel / driver implementations), thread groups are woken by condition variable signals / broadcasts, a job is a process, each instance of a job is a thread, job state is thread-local storage (TLS), ...and so-on (of course it's much easier to do for a game than for an OS, don't be alarmed by my comparison!)
do i read "multithreaded scripts" in there? :D

You don't :ghost: Well, not in that fragment, at least. But yes, multithreading logic has been on the table ever since the game data moved over to native memory! Multithreading is only problematic (as far as I can tell) when you're touching Lua-managed data. With native data, as long as you stick to the usual rules, things should be fine. I will be exploring this further once I nail down the logic system.

Victor Tombs wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:46 am
I very much enjoyed the Freelancer reference. Love It! :thumbup:

:D FYI, Victor, I've been working on a fresh play-through in my downtime :D Gotta be sure to always have the Freelancer spirit in my LT work ;)
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” ~ Henry Ford

JoshParnell wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:11 pm
Victor Tombs wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:46 am
I very much enjoyed the Freelancer reference. Love It! :thumbup:

:D FYI, Victor, I've been working on a fresh play-through in my downtime :D Gotta be sure to always have the Freelancer spirit in my LT work ;)
You make me very happy, Josh. I was beginning to think you'd forgotten your original inspiration for Limit Theory. It's so good to read that you've returned to Freelancer. Good luck with all the work and I hope you enjoy your play-through of the game. :D :angel:

Online Now