Return to “Dev Logs”

Re: Adam - Monday, October 2, 2017

Thank you Adam! That was actually a very enlightening post! It sounds like you have a pretty good thing going :)

Well I hope you stick around, From everything I've seen about your contributions, you'd be an invaluable asset to Josh's company. And heck, maybe you could have your cake and eat it too. Who says Procedural Reality has to stick to only making games? Maybe you could head up the "Unity, we're coming for your lunch money, Unreal, you're next, Microsoft and Google get in line" department, and base yourself out of somewhere nice, like...Anywhere that's not the South (Seriously, I agree with you there :lol: ) and do some telepresence... heck, just work on Augmented Reality stuff to add extra frosting to your cake :p

As always, if you ever want to bounce some ideas off of us, there are a LOT of VERY talented people in this community, feel free to throw up a poll or hop in IRC for a bit. We have plenty of time and skullfat to work things out.
Challenging your assumptions is good for your health, good for your business, and good for your future. Stay skeptical but never undervalue the importance of a new and unfamiliar perspective.
Imagination Fertilizer
Beauty may not save the world, but it's the only thing that can
Re: [Adam] Monday, October 2, 2017

Thanks Adam, the update, no, the updates are most appreciated.
It makes everything somehow more real and much more trustworthy to have another pair of eyes, and another brain, on board. Really the best that could happen!
Perhaps you can take a coffee break to teach Josh some baisc shareholder management rules ;)

Thank you again, Adam. It's great to hear about the LT-specific work, but it's also tremendously valuable to talk about how game development can work when it really works. You never know when your talking frankly about these things can inspire novice developers to take the plunge and try to create their own games.
Hyperion wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:51 pm
base yourself out of somewhere nice, like...Anywhere that's not the South (Seriously, I agree with you there :lol: )

Whether from my comment here, or through uncomfortable personal experience, I think people will discover that there is no perfect place.

Moving back to the South from northern Virginia was one of the best decisions I ever made. YMMV.

Flatfingers wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:29 pm
Hyperion wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:51 pm
base yourself out of somewhere nice, like...Anywhere that's not the South (Seriously, I agree with you there :lol: )
Whether from my comment here, or through uncomfortable personal experience, I think people will discover that there is no perfect place.

Moving back to the South from northern Virginia was one of the best decisions I ever made. YMMV.
I don't know, the North West is pretty nice.

charnode wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:03 am
... we could for example know Josh by now and just accept that he will fall flat eventually on periodic updates, no offense, just saying how it is. Once that has been accomplished we could be grateful that Adam stepped in an provided and update on progress, instead of spitting bile at him, again, just saying how it is. Not directed at you, Grumblesaur, but I'm sure that would help quite some. Falling back into pouting mode won't make Josh feel more comfortable providing an update any time soon.

When there are no updates incoming, members are like 'just a short one-liner would be enough, is that so hard to do?'. And then, when there is an update it's like 'OMG, no pretties, and not from the mastermind himself, this is not an update, ffs gtfo grmbl!'
This was a little more meta of an answer than I was anticipating, though I suppose "behavior" is something that we "do" more than "work". Nevertheless, I am inclined to agree.

AdamByrd wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:09 am
We've also talked about how nice it would be to take a few years and fix a lot of the not-so-great toolchains programmers are stuck with. I've never been able to imagine programming anything other than games, but I have to admit that idea is becoming more and more appealing.
Specific to Lua, or is the scope of this idea broader?
Shameless Self-Promotion 0/ magenta 0/ Forum Rules & Game FAQ

Flatfingers wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:29 pm

It's not so much that the south is 'bad', just that I've been here my whole life and I need a change of pace. I was excited to move out of Florida for grad school, but Louisiana is way more culturally southern so it felt more like doubling down than changing.

Grumblesaur wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:52 pm
Specific to Lua, or is the scope of this idea broader?
Much broader. Things like a better debugger, better build system, better low level language, better compiler, better operating system. Basically all of our core tools kinda suck. Jon Blow might make a dent in the better language area. Rad Game Tools is tackling the debugger problem. But who knows when those will ship or if they'll be a big enough change to be satisfying.

AdamByrd wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:10 pm
Naed wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:49 am
Question: Why is Josh not posting?

All due respect to you Adam, but you are not Josh.

The one that the community wants to hear from is Josh. Not you.
You may have confused 'respect' and 'hostility' in this and your previous posts. You are, of course, welcome to not read posts prefixed with Adam in the future. As mentioned above, my updates are independent of Josh's and not meant to serve as replacements. If others are similarly disinterested in the other 50% of the Limit Theory team and this is time poorly spent, I'll adjust accordingly.
Thanks for your update post, Adam. I'm interested.

AdamByrd wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:28 pm
Much broader. Things like a better debugger, better build system, better low level language, better compiler, better operating system. Basically all of our core tools kinda suck. Jon Blow might make a dent in the better language area. Rad Game Tools is tackling the debugger problem. But who knows when those will ship or if they'll be a big enough change to be satisfying.
Man, I'd love to work on a compiler or low level proglang. I'm starting another programming language project with a friend. We're going to write an interpreter, then write a compiler that targets LLVM, just to see if we can.

As far as systems languages go, I've heard good things about D and Rust, but nothing seems to be able to usurp C's four-decade reign.
Shameless Self-Promotion 0/ magenta 0/ Forum Rules & Game FAQ

IronDuke wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:34 pm
Silverware wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:33 pm
ThermalSpan wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:32 pm
So maybe I'm the odd one out here, but Adam is part of the Dev team now. Josh chose to work with him and he's been making groundbreaking contributions. He's not disrespecting anyone by posting updates on his work (which are awesome). In fact, just hearing from Josh now would be an incomplete picture of Limit theory development. Adam's work on the game is going to make it possible, not posts on the forum.

So why all this aggression towards him? I understand the frustration of not having a ton of Josh-updates, but as a member of the community, I would like to hear from all the developers and not just Josh.
:thumbup:
This guy gets it.
^
Thank you! I know I've been out of the loop for a while, but a lot of hostility has accumulated. Adam, appreciate offering some insight into the inner workings. I will enjoy reading your thoughts, and Silverwares commentary.

Online Now