Return to “Dev Logs”

Re: Friday, August 18, 2017

:lol: Corn, I don't think that was what he was originally trying to say. :P Or anywhere close to it, really. He's just saying it's too early for him to feel hyped - we're basically not over the hardest part yet. That's pretty far from "You are bad people because you're excited". On the other hand, I'm rather grateful for a little bit of hype, because people having something to talk about is a lot better than nobody talking about anything, which is how it was for the longest time. And it's not like people are going crazy, either, they're just having fun imagining things. That's completely fine with me. :) If people get too imaginative, I'll deal with it, but people typically don't get that far. :lol:
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

charles wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:34 pm
There are often tradeoffs involved that make this kind of facility inappropriate for incorporation into the mainstream.
Absolutely.
There's all kinds of ways it might not come to anything, I just wanted to point out the potential importance to the wider world of Josh's work in this case.
--
Mind The Gap

(Here's the even-more-mind-blowing magic) Functions that can operate on different types of objects (like Weapon:damage, which could be used to damage stations, hardpoints, etc) will be traced by LuaJIT and end up running as fast as equivalent statically-compiled constructs (in C this would require a switch statement or function pointer, in C++ this would require a template or virtual tables; here it requires nothing extra!!); this is a HUGE win for both performance and simplicity!
If you think this is cool, you should check out Julia! Objects/structs don't have methods associated with them, everything is done through type-based dispatch. It's easily optimized to static dispatch, but you can write it dynamically like Python and it still works much faster. It's probably no good for soft realtime like a video game but as someone who can now write this instead of FORTRAN/C, and get easily generic but also fast code (seriously, check out the diff eq toolkit) I'm a happy camper!

Julia: it's like C and APL had a baby.

Then that baby was adopted by core JavaScript.

Then the baby was stolen by a vagrant ex-CS postdoc who confused the child with random outbursts like * for concatenation, ^ for repeating (confusing after the good use for exponentiation), unnecessary complications like "in" and "foreach", and not-used- by-working-programmers trivia like maps and dicts.

The saving grace is that Julia wasn't "rescued" by a Child Protective Services worker who insisted that it learn to speak Perl.

(I'm just having a little fun here. Julia actually looks pretty interesting, even if it has some definitions I wouldn't go with.)

That gave me more than a chuckle, Flatfingers. :lol:

My all-time favorite language, though, is definitely this:
Spoiler:      SHOW

Code: Select all

Prime Number Computation in Copenhagen.

Romeo, a young man of Verona.
Juliet, a young woman.
Hamlet, a temporary variable from Denmark.
The Ghost, a limiting factor (and by a remarkable coincidence also
        Hamlet's father).

Act I: Interview with the other side.

Scene I: At the last hour before dawn.

[Enter the Ghost and Juliet]

The Ghost:
 You pretty little warm thing! Thou art as prompt as the difference
 between the square of thyself and your golden hair. Speak your mind.

Juliet:
 Listen to your heart!

[Exit the Ghost]

[Enter Romeo]

Juliet:
 Thou art as sweet as a sunny summer's day!

Act II: Determining divisibility.

Scene I: A private conversation.

Juliet:
 Art thou more cunning than the Ghost?

Romeo:
 If so, let us proceed to scene V.

[Exit Romeo]

[Enter Hamlet]

Juliet:
 You are as villainous as the square root of Romeo!

Hamlet:
 You are as lovely as a red rose.

Scene II: Questions and the consequences thereof.

Juliet:
 Am I better than you?

Hamlet:
 If so, let us proceed to scene III.

Juliet:
 Is the remainder of the quotient between Romeo and me as good as
 nothing?

Hamlet:
 If so, let us proceed to scene IV.
 Thou art as bold as the sum of thyself and a roman.

Juliet:
 Let us return to scene II.

Scene III: Romeo must die!

[Exit Hamlet]

[Enter Romeo]

Juliet:
 Open your heart.

[Exit Juliet]

[Enter Hamlet]

Romeo:
 Thou art as rotten as the difference between nothing and the sum of a
 snotty stinking half-witted hog and a small toad!
 Speak your mind!

[Exit Romeo]

[Enter Juliet]

Scene IV: One small dog at a time.

[Exit Hamlet]

[Enter Romeo]

Juliet:
 Thou art as handsome as the sum of thyself and my chihuahua!
 Let us return to scene I.

Scene V: Fin.

[Exeunt]
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

BFett wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:07 pm
Wow, that's worse than some sudo-code that I've written. At least short hand is easy for the human to understand.
Psuedo-code

Sudo code would be:

sudo make /home/silver/projects/aSandwich/
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
WebGL Spaceships and Trails
<Cuisinart8> apparently without the demon driving him around Silver has the intelligence of a botched lobotomy patient ~ Mar 04 2020
console.log(`What's all ${this} ${Date.now()}`);

Silverware wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:42 pm
BFett wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:07 pm
Wow, that's worse than some sudo-code that I've written. At least short hand is easy for the human to understand.
Psuedo-code

Sudo code would be:

sudo make /home/silver/projects/aSandwich/
You know I really should learn the difference between both words in order to not mix them up.

Sudo: a program for Unix-like computer operating systems that allows users to run programs with the security privileges of another user.

Pseudo: 1. not actually but having the appearance of; pretended; false or spurious; sham.
or 2. almost, approaching, or trying to be.

Yep, I should cut sudo from my vocabulary since I've never used that program. I should start using pseudo more regularly.

jarl wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:58 am
if you use Linux you should be using sudo ;)
Yes, using direct root login (or "sudo su -") for anything short of sudoers failure is punishable by spankings.
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
<Cuisinart8> apparently without the demon driving him around Silver has the intelligence of a botched lobotomy patient ~ Mar 04 2020

Mike wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:23 am
You're both doing it wrong!
https://www.garyshood.com/root/

Real linux users run as root!
Luckily for you, you are not within physical reach, or I would slap you so hard upside the head that your great great great grandfather feels it and is knocked into the path of an oncoming train before he can create your great great grandfather!

Seriously the number of times I have had to recover critical production servers thanks to an idiot putting a single character in wrong...
Blah.
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°

Silverware wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:27 am
Mike wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:23 am
You're both doing it wrong!
https://www.garyshood.com/root/

Real linux users run as root!
Luckily for you, you are not within physical reach, or I would slap you so hard upside the head that your great great great grandfather feels it and is knocked into the path of an oncoming train before he can create your great great grandfather!

Seriously the number of times I have had to recover critical production servers thanks to an idiot putting a single character in wrong...
Blah.
Spelling mistakes can generally be corrected with some training on suicide linux
https://qntm.org/suicide

On a sidenote I've had to recover systems badly hit by wrong characters quite a bit myself :) . Tis the life of being a sys admin I spose.

Online Now