Return to “Dev Logs”

Re: Tuesday, June 27, 2017

It's been a while since the Kickstarter was funded and I only remember that Mac and Linux support were part of the achieved stretch goals. I'm not remotely interested in either but as they formed part of the funded project it's only right and proper that they should form part of the released LT project. If not the initial release then at a later stage. :angel:

I only know I wanted cockpits to win on the stretch goals polls but unfortunately for me Linux had the votes.

jarl wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:47 am
Does anyone else feel that being able to make the decision to drop OSX is a major win for the project? Cutting an OS from the support list is a big decision and clearly required but being able to do it shows that progress is being made.
It's not so much dropped as delayed,
I expect it will come out around the same time as the first patches.
"A sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
- Arthur C. Clarke

Possibly worth noting that this is emphatically NOT the same thing as Frontier completely dropping support for offline/solo play from Elite: Dangerous versus what they promised in their Kickstarter pitch.

That decision was also justified as being a hard choice regarding a difficult technical challenge. But where Braben & Co. just gave up, Josh hasn't. I won't be surprised to see LT running on Macs very shortly after v1.0 is released.

I know that's still frustrating to Mac users. But I hope they'll understand that this is delayed, not dropped, and that the rest of us should equally be prepared to give up something we think is important about LT in order to finally release v1.0 as a substantially complete implementation of the Kickstarter pitch for Limit Theory.

Flatfingers wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:46 am
Possibly worth noting that this is emphatically NOT the same thing as Frontier completely dropping support for offline/solo play from Elite: Dangerous versus what they promised in their Kickstarter pitch.

That decision was also justified as being a hard choice regarding a difficult technical challenge. But where Braben & Co. just gave up, Josh hasn't. I won't be surprised to see LT running on Macs very shortly after v1.0 is released.
I couldn't agree more, Flat. :thumbup:
Flatfingers wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:46 am
I know that's still frustrating to Mac users. But I hope they'll understand that this is delayed, not dropped, and that the rest of us should equally be prepared to give up something we think is important about LT in order to finally release v1.0 as a substantially complete implementation of the Kickstarter pitch for Limit Theory.
I can be flexible, Flat, but warp rails /trade lanes I refuse to give up. :mrgreen: :angel:

I still mourn the absence of cockpits and the diamond ponies of Rembrandt. :(

Victor Tombs wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:26 pm
Victor, you'll get your cockpits, i'm 100% sure of it.
Challenging your assumptions is good for your health, good for your business, and good for your future. Stay skeptical but never undervalue the importance of a new and unfamiliar perspective.
Imagination Fertilizer
Beauty may not save the world, but it's the only thing that can

Hyperion wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:36 pm
Victor Tombs wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:26 pm
Victor, you'll get your cockpits, i'm 100% sure of it.
I've tasked Slymodi with making them. If he doesn't I'm sure others will be able to.

/me remembers his LT cockpit mock-up.

jarl wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:47 am
Does anyone else feel that being able to make the decision to drop OSX is a major win for the project? Cutting an OS from the support list is a big decision and clearly required but being able to do it shows that progress is being made.
Cutting an OS is OK. cutting per se show at least a first move to focus on a release, which is excellent.

But obviously, Josh cut the wrong OS. who needs windows support in the XXIst century?
[cue in OS war]
[/end OS war]
:angel:

Online Now