Return to “Dev Logs”

Re: Tuesday, June 27, 2017

AdamByrd wrote:
Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:43 am
Don't worry, we're still here chugging along. I'm making sure your super cool spaceships don't prevent the game from running on your kitchen toaster. But yea, Josh is going to be slammed until the end of next week.
Ooo... ADAM! Do an ADAMPost!
You can tell us whats happening while the glorious leader is away doing things. :D
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
WebGL Spaceships and Trails
<Cuisinart8> apparently without the demon driving him around Silver has the intelligence of a botched lobotomy patient ~ Mar 04 2020
console.log(`What's all ${this} ${Date.now()}`);

AdamByrd wrote:
Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:43 am
Don't worry, we're still here chugging along. I'm making sure your super cool spaceships don't prevent the game from running on your kitchen toaster. But yea, Josh is going to be slammed until the end of next week.
Hey Adam,

Thanks for the update! If Josh is slammed to the end of next week, that's going to be a large gap in Dev Logs. And that's ok :). They don't have to be every 1½ - 2 weeks.

I really REALLY would like to see a video of some of this low level AI work that's going on, or something. Heck, a 3 minute video of all 3 of you arguing over if an array starts at 0 or 1 would be funny (anyone saying 1, get out).
Shoot ALL the things!

At some point I'll start contributing to the dev logs. I probably should have written about the BSP/collision detection, that was a lot of fun and I'm pretty happy with where it went. Plus it makes for some cool GIFs. My main test case for that is now known as the 'radioactive luffa'. I'm currently digging through isosurface extraction techniques so we can get better meshes out of the procedurally generated objects. That will likely be interesting enough to share.

We've also tossed around other ideas for letting you guys see what's going on under the hood. Maybe recording one of our whiteboard design/planning sessions or live streaming actual development. Idk, just some random thoughts.

I like the null object pattern too much to accept 1-indexed arrays. Doubly so in languages that treat 0 as false. Having both in the same codebase? It's time to fire your lead.

Cornflakes_91 wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:18 am
Mixed? Seriously? do you want pointer errors? Because thats how you get pointer errors
AdamByrd wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:11 am
Having both in the same codebase? It's time to fire your lead.
Yes, well see, this is what you get when the code project is over 30 years old, and you have someone who codes a custom array-like datatype, but thinks the get(i) should start at 1 because it's a customer-usable thing and customers are dumb, but you also have to use it internally, and you also have normal internal arrays that start at 0 because of course we do it's C++ and Java and then people leave without ever writing documentation and nobody remembers why we did what but it's easier not to rewrite 30 years of work because it works and we aint got money for that.
:ghost:
Warning: do not ask about physics unless you really want to know about physics.
The LT IRC / Alternate link || The REKT Wiki || PUDDING

AdamByrd wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:11 am
I'm currently digging through isosurface extraction techniques so we can get better meshes out of the procedurally generated objects.
What should I be reading to even find things like this? Genuine question.
A good plan, violently executed now, is better than a perfect plan next week.

In magenta we trust

This link has a list of some of the most common techniques with links to the original papers. Once you know the names you can search for other related resources fairly easily.

There's probably far more information available on Marching Cubes than anything else, most of it being fairly accessible. I'm a fan of Dual Marching Cubes personally, but good luck finding a solid implementation you can steal.

Online Now