Return to “Dev Logs”

Re: Tuesday, June 27, 2017

AdamByrd wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:11 am
I'm currently digging through isosurface extraction techniques so we can get better meshes out of the procedurally generated objects
So are we talking better meshes as in

A
Spoiler:      SHOW
B
C
D
E
F
G
H
I
J
or a combination of, or ideally all of the above?
Challenging your assumptions is good for your health, good for your business, and good for your future. Stay skeptical but never undervalue the importance of a new and unfamiliar perspective.
Imagination Fertilizer
Beauty may not save the world, but it's the only thing that can

Not models Hype.
Meshes.

He is trying to get the generation algo to spit out cleaner models so that it'll be easier to manipulate or store/render them without artifacts.
I assume Adam will eventually work on the models too. :V
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
WebGL Spaceships and Trails
<Cuisinart8> apparently without the demon driving him around Silver has the intelligence of a botched lobotomy patient ~ Mar 04 2020
console.log(`What's all ${this} ${Date.now()}`);

Aye, but I was more wondering about the flexibility of the meshes for creating interesting and complex geometries and how they might integrate with one another to create smooth models
Challenging your assumptions is good for your health, good for your business, and good for your future. Stay skeptical but never undervalue the importance of a new and unfamiliar perspective.
Imagination Fertilizer

Basmannen wrote: Oh, I meant more like, as a novice, where do I start reading to learn about things like that in general? What are the subjects to learn?
By "things like that" do you mean things like surface extraction or just things that are difficult/cool?

Hyperion wrote: So are we talking better meshes as in
< ... >
Silverware is right: meshes not models. Models, when they are generated, are stored in whichever way was most amenable to creation. That may be a binary tree built up through CSG operations or an adaptively sampled distance field in an octree. At the end of the day, however, we need to render that object on a modern GPU which means we need triangles (I mean, there are esoteric methods, but let's stick with the tried-and-true). There are various methods for extracting a surface from these other representations. So we're talking better meshes as in going from the bottom right to top right:

Ah, okay. I misunderstood given that I tend to know the term mesh to apply to what you call model. :shifty:
So basically you're having fewer triangles represent the same area, aka less math, aka faster & less likely to bork?
Imagination Fertilizer

AdamByrd wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:15 am
By "things like that" do you mean things like surface extraction or just things that are difficult/cool?
I guess what I want to know is where to find resources on things like building a (good) physics engine. Like, I can read about octrees or BSPs but only if I know they exist. I just don't know how to start.
A good plan, violently executed now, is better than a perfect plan next week.

In magenta we trust

I prefer textbooks myself. I tend to grab one on a subject and just go cover to cover, supplementing it with blogs and whitepapers I find from general internet searches as necessary. I'm not super up-to-date on the best resources, but we have Realtime Collision Detection and Game Physics Engine Development here in the office. I used RCD for the BSP trees and it was reasonably good. It has some quirks I don't like, but it got the job done.

Online Now