Return to “Dev Logs”

Re: Tuesday, May 16, 2017

JoshParnell wrote: PS ~ It's always fascinating for me to see in what direction any given devlog thread will be derailed, whether it be hardcore design of detection/targeting mechanisms or...goats :ghost: :lol:
hah! you do read it despite never bothering with writing a single line in answer :ghost:

now i know i can write down even more stuff and it'll get at least fed into the machine *manipulation intensifies* :twisted:

JoshParnell wrote:
Flatfingers wrote:
JanB1 wrote:with delegation comes another, really important part: inspection! Inspect what they did, maybe correct the processes, their way to do things, give some input, and check that it works out in the end. Because if you trust them blindly, it will come back on you in the future (maybe, maybe not).
This cannot be overstated.

Don't think of it as a trust issue; think of it as necessary continuous course correction to reach a destination.

Also, there are lots of techniques for maintaining effective progress in a multi-coder shop. If you've already got to-do tasks described, put them on the wall and ask your new teammates to work from that list. As long as the granularity is low enough, this is an excellent way to make continuous progress (and to visually track that progress) without much damage if one task slips or needs to be re-coded. It also has the important benefit of insuring that you keep in regular contact with the other programmers -- that way they don't spend a week going down a rabbit hole. (Please note I'm not implying they'd do this on purpose; it's more that gifted programmers tend to want to explore interesting details rather than cranking out practical necessities. ;) )

Best of luck to all!
Thank you JanB1 for the advice. I'm all ears when it comes to management tips. So far we seem to be striking a pretty good balance of autonomous work -> feedback -> GOTO 10

We're also getting pretty on top of task management, and have some industrial-strength stuff in place now for plotting out milestones etc. LT is definitely more organized than it's ever been. But I'm getting ahead of myself. I should leave things to talk about in the next dev log!
Sure thing. If you need some ideas/help/tips, hit me up and I'll try to help you.

Talvieno wrote:This just in: Josh officially supports derails! :o
Hell yeah! Now you can stop splitting off all our derails into separate topics. :ghost:

Flatfingers wrote: (And the derailing continues!)
It ALWAYS does. :mrgreen:
Automation engineer, lateral thinker, soldier, addicted to music, books and gaming.
Nothing to see here
Flatfingers wrote: 23.01.2017: "Show me the smoldering corpse of Perfectionist Josh"

Plofre wrote:
Flatfingers wrote:
JoshParnell wrote:So far we seem to be striking a pretty good balance of autonomous work -> feedback -> GOTO 10
When I lived in Virginia, my license plate was "10 GOTO 10".

I like to think that earned me a little geek cred. :lol:
lol, full credit given!
Nah, not full. Just a little. If you give him full, he will retire and rant about the young lads. Oh wait, I think that was Tal, wasn't it? :mrgreen:
Automation engineer, lateral thinker, soldier, addicted to music, books and gaming.
Nothing to see here
Flatfingers wrote: 23.01.2017: "Show me the smoldering corpse of Perfectionist Josh"

Online Now