Return to “Dev Logs”

Re: Tuesday, May 16, 2017

JoshParnell wrote: I guess I finally got the message: I'm not alone in this world, and, occassionally, it may happen that my path crosses with someone capable of making my life easier (read: getting LT out faster and with less ibuprofen consumption). I've always said before that I couldn't afford to get help. And you guys kept telling me that there's help out there that would come at a relatively cheap monetary price as a consequence of getting to be part of the beautiful project that is Limit Theory.

I get it now :)
This news is The Best News. :thumbup: :clap:
JanB1 wrote:with delegation comes another, really important part: inspection! Inspect what they did, maybe correct the processes, their way to do things, give some input, and check that it works out in the end. Because if you trust them blindly, it will come back on you in the future (maybe, maybe not).
This cannot be overstated.

Don't think of it as a trust issue; think of it as necessary continuous course correction to reach a destination.

Also, there are lots of techniques for maintaining effective progress in a multi-coder shop. If you've already got to-do tasks described, put them on the wall and ask your new teammates to work from that list. As long as the granularity is low enough, this is an excellent way to make continuous progress (and to visually track that progress) without much damage if one task slips or needs to be re-coded. It also has the important benefit of insuring that you keep in regular contact with the other programmers -- that way they don't spend a week going down a rabbit hole. (Please note I'm not implying they'd do this on purpose; it's more that gifted programmers tend to want to explore interesting details rather than cranking out practical necessities. ;) )

Best of luck to all!

DWMagus wrote:
Silverware wrote: No! Seriously! Image
...I think someone else's avatar might be changed in the near future. :mrgreen:
Make it happen Magus! Please! :lol:

Flatfingers wrote:
JanB1 wrote:with delegation comes another, really important part: inspection! Inspect what they did, maybe correct the processes, their way to do things, give some input, and check that it works out in the end. Because if you trust them blindly, it will come back on you in the future (maybe, maybe not).
This cannot be overstated.

Don't think of it as a trust issue; think of it as necessary continuous course correction to reach a destination.

Also, there are lots of techniques for maintaining effective progress in a multi-coder shop. If you've already got to-do tasks described, put them on the wall and ask your new teammates to work from that list. As long as the granularity is low enough, this is an excellent way to make continuous progress (and to visually track that progress) without much damage if one task slips or needs to be re-coded. It also has the important benefit of insuring that you keep in regular contact with the other programmers -- that way they don't spend a week going down a rabbit hole. (Please note I'm not implying they'd do this on purpose; it's more that gifted programmers tend to want to explore interesting details rather than cranking out practical necessities. ;) )
Perfectly said. Use different colours of post-its for this purpose. So you see at one glimpse who is working on what, and if they all got "enough to do". You could do this on a whiteboard and draw boxes which represent different parts of the game. "Engine", "Netcode", "Rendering", "Physics", and so on. Whatever you may need.
Automation engineer, lateral thinker, soldier, addicted to music, books and gaming.
Nothing to see here
Flatfingers wrote: 23.01.2017: "Show me the smoldering corpse of Perfectionist Josh"

JoshParnell wrote:Tuesday, May 16, 2017
Prepare to be taken into the life of Josh outside LT (which, as we know, is quite minimal...but does consist of at least one interesting activity).
Ew Josh no. :oops: :oops: :oops:
Spoiler:      SHOW
Paging our local Josh enthusiast Cornflakes for wildlife control.
Spoiler:      SHOW
Something something comes in waves something something
Last edited by Vartul on Fri May 19, 2017 3:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Josh!

You're not alone. I am a Lead User Experience Designer at Riot Games (League of Legends). I have been a designer for 16 years. When and if you need some design support or even someone to bounce ideas off of or get feedback with regard to in game UI or experience, I would be happy to assist you, absolutely free of charge.

PM me if you'd like.

I've been paying attention to / watching LT for years.

-- Tyler Schuett

anomaly47 wrote:Josh!

You're not alone. I am a Lead User Experience Designer at Riot Games (League of Legends). I have been a designer for 16 years. When and if you need some design support or even someone to bounce ideas off of or get feedback with regard to in game UI or experience, I would be happy to assist you, absolutely free of charge.

PM me if you'd like.

I've been paying attention to / watching LT for years.

-- Tyler Schuett
Seems like we got a celeb here! :squirrel:

(Btw, that sounds more negative than it should be. I always think it's cool when other devs come by here. :D )
Automation engineer, lateral thinker, soldier, addicted to music, books and gaming.
Nothing to see here
Flatfingers wrote: 23.01.2017: "Show me the smoldering corpse of Perfectionist Josh"

Online Now