Return to “Dev Logs”

Re: Sunday, March 26, 2017

JanB1 wrote:
RedDwarfMining wrote:'because any entities that don't require computation on any given frame won't take up a single CPU cycle!'

Excellent!

Sounds like a Schrodinger version of LT....A vessel's location (or actions) outside a certain range...is simply unknowable. Is the ship alive or dead? Don't know..don't care. Only when near the entity will you/I be certain. :thumbup:
That...that's a really interesting and funny way to look at it. :lol:
Thanks!

Just like in real life...no reason to waste brain cycles on entities beyond your control! have to collapse the wave function to find out..

Hmm...I think that could give some pretty interesting glitches too if not done correctly. To say so when a ship is idly drifting (if that is defined as idle) and you get far away. It stops updating. And as soon as you get near again it calculates the speed it was drifting, the time between the last calculation and now and updates it and the ship suddenly fling through space, into the next asteroid, causes a collision check error and te whole game crashes gloriously. But I'm sure that wouldn't happen to Josh, he surely would think about that. :ghost:

Edit: @Cornflakes: Image
Automation engineer, lateral thinker, soldier, addicted to music, books and gaming.
Nothing to see here
Flatfingers wrote: 23.01.2017: "Show me the smoldering corpse of Perfectionist Josh"

lobosan wrote:
Talvieno wrote:The non-technical summary is up! :)
Good job Talvieno. :thumbup:
Your summary is like Chipotle to Josh's full course dinner.
I like Chipotle on the go ... needs all 4 salsas though.
That's an...interesting analogy...
Automation engineer, lateral thinker, soldier, addicted to music, books and gaming.
Nothing to see here
Flatfingers wrote: 23.01.2017: "Show me the smoldering corpse of Perfectionist Josh"

:think: Speed seems the main stumbling block in many space games(including LT)! Loading and unloading entities is a 24/7 job for the engine.

How would the GTA/Skyrim/Witcher/ETC... work if they had to load their maps/entities so often/fast? What If their horses/cars/characters could travel @1800-10,000 m/s? Bet there would be one or two cases of 'pop in'...whole towns infact. :lol:

Hard to have nice things in space games...because they are going to be off screen in seconds!!

Make space games Navy based travel not a Air Force. boats not planes.

15 m/s limit on the big ships...20m/s frigates ...30m/s max all other craft. From a distance they would be barely moving...infact the universe would look frozen...nothing moving...until you get close to the entities and realize they're moving.

Collision detection hogging frame rates? Turn it off. Turn it on when a entity nears another...should take awhile!

The game Dreadnought does a pretty good job...I like that, but in deep space.

Star Citizen tried to slow down the ship speed and give the engine/server a rest...but the fanatics shouted that down.

Well, as soon as stuff is out of sight, you could just stop rendering it. And only save the position, orientation and speed. And a route. So, as soon as you turn around again and it would be barely visible, (10° out of field of view) you start rendering them again. At the new position. Because you can make Data handling really fast when you don't have to think about anything else... :think:
Nothing to see here

Online Now