Return to “Dev Logs”

Re: Wednesday, March 8, 2017

Talvieno wrote:I'm wondering how I could apply Flatfinger's knowledge to my job...

You guys don't post enough. :ghost:
Welp...I like the type of management school he went to. Mine was a little more...friendly. And that last sentence of him (not in the braces) killed it. XD

Dinosawer wrote: Okay.

*goes code a spambot*

:ghost:
Pleas don't. I think I already know you well enough that you would absolutely do that if someone encouraged you... :lol:
Automation engineer, lateral thinker, soldier, addicted to music, books and gaming.
Nothing to see here
Flatfingers wrote: 23.01.2017: "Show me the smoldering corpse of Perfectionist Josh"

JoshParnell wrote:If I'm tweaking shaders and there's been no talk of AI or gameplay mechanics in a month, you have my full permission to prod me with a sharp stick.
8-)

:twisted:
I am Groot.
Please don't take my advice. You will wind up in jail if you do.
For some reason, I feel obliged to display how many people have talked in IRC over the past 2 hours: Image :problem:
:ugeek:

JoshParnell wrote:I must take care not to make the same old mistake of passing off shiny things as 'game.'
Actually, this is a good chance to clarify something. I truly do not mind seeing the shiny things that resulted from your work this week!

If somehow anyone is still unclear on this: making any real game is a marathon, not a sprint. You have got to do some useful-but-fun things once in a while to stay motivated. There is no way I would seriously complain about this recovery/improvement of BoxMesh and related features.

I brought up NPC AI, in as gentle a way as I could, not to see AI implemented for itself -- although that will be cool -- but because I'm still concerned that LuaJIT might not be able to handle everything, and it sounds like doing multi-system AI (plus smooth local graphics) performantly is still the acid test. I think you're being smart and responsible allocating a little time most weeks to Option Z just in case you do discover that LuaJIT can't cope. What I'm trying to communicate is the perspective that there is enormous value in finding out LuaJIT's practical limits NOW, because that news will be very upsetting. The sooner you rip that bandage off, the better for everyone it will be.

Or maybe it can be confirmed that LuaJIT can be persuaded to handle every reasonable thing you throw at it. Great! Again, the sooner you find that out, the better -- it will be a huge weight off your shoulders, and you can reallocate the time you felt you had to spend on Option Z development back into pure Limit Theory coding.

That this is a boring (but IMO necessary) big-picture perspective absolutely should not taken as criticism of letting Graphics Josh out of his box occasionally. :) Keep yourself motivated, man! I'm all for that.

...while still looking forward to the day -- soon to come, I hope -- when you can announce that you're 110% sure that LuaJIT either will or won't work.
JoshParnell wrote:If I'm tweaking shaders and there's been no talk of AI or gameplay mechanics in a month, you have my full permission to prod me with a sharp stick.
Deal. :)
JoshParnell wrote:(you're proud of me, right Flat?? ...right!?!? :ghost: )
I say this with all seriousness: I could not be prouder of you.

Looks and sounds pretty cool. Those nebulas are amazing. I even turned off F.lux in order to appreciate them more
How's your workload been? Stress, anxiety to deliver, impulse to oversell how amazing it's all been?

I'm really glad that you seem to have got your groove back.

I've got a question that's a little outside of this update: I'm curious about ship design. You're designing all sorts of algorithms to procedurally generate an impressive amount of content; will the players be able to override/bypass generation algorithms in order to design their own ship/station aesthetic?

PS: I'm damn impressed by the planetary generation! If that is "bad" then I'm curious what good is going to look like.

Talvieno wrote:
Lum wrote:That station in construction or destroyed... :ghost:
This reminds me of... The Dress
.... Damnit I just saw your name's color and thought Josh had posted.
Name needs to be Yellow Talv. :V
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
WebGL Spaceships and Trails
<Cuisinart8> apparently without the demon driving him around Silver has the intelligence of a botched lobotomy patient ~ Mar 04 2020
console.log(`What's all ${this} ${Date.now()}`);

Online Now