Return to “Dev Logs”

Re: Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Talvieno wrote:I think it's slightly excessive, but overall very pretty. Maybe star density could vary depending on where you are. :) Then we could occasionally find systems with (almost) that many stars. ...but I think it's quite likely that Josh has already thought of making star count vary per system. :P
I think it would be jarringly unrealistic if two neighbouring star systems had different star counts :-)

How it ends up working will depend a lot on the theory of Universe Generation in use; if a galaxy is generated, then it might be possible to actually represent the visible stars at each location, but that's never going to work for a truly limitless universe so I'd expect the star field to be generated once on game initialisation, and then used as an image/texture after that for every location (modified by additional nebulae/cosmic features).
--
Mind The Gap

:clap: one of the most promising dev log, even counting back then when they were daily!

Two keywords: deadlines and feedback.

See what I mean with having a small "board" of advisers: they provide deadlines (when you meet them; expectations have been set for the meeting) and feedback...

And keep the practical-Josh firmly in command!

PS: I assume MacOS will have the speed of Linux, and not of Windoze? :?
PPS: and the most important: having fun with the game. You are right - it is capital to stay motivated and not to take life tooo seriously!

Thanks for the first dev log of 2017! I hope this year goes well for LT. I really like hearing that you got lots of good feedback on the demo and I'm also glad to hear that you found it useful. I also hope that this scripting language works out for you.

I have to say, these nebula are by far the most impressive I have ever seen for any game. I really like the colors in these two images specifically.
Spoiler:      SHOW
Image Image
Keep up the great work, and remember, if there isn't much to report, just give us a sentence stating where you're at currently. :)

This was fantastic. I really appreciate you doing this, Josh.

I should add: With respect to your decision to go ahead with the Mersenne Twister implementation, were you aware of this post by Veedrac?

I am not sufficiently versed in RNG/PRNGs, but if PCG will result in better performance and randomness, why not take it into consideration?

Ringu wrote:
JoshParnell wrote:Fun times while developing: it turns out that the demo runs substantially faster on Linux than Windows. I was able to push ~1000 ships into a battle with comparable FPS to 500 ships on windows. While playing with the quality settings, I decided to bump up the starfield quality as well -- from 50K stars to 100K. Except that I accidentally added an extra zero. The result was bizarre but beautiful. "My God, it's REALLY Full of Stars!!" :squirrel:
Uhh... does this mean that you're *not* generating the star field as a skybox, just mapping a texture to a (really large) cube/sphere/whatever...?

If you're actually calculating the position of each of those stars and rendering them as objects or points or whatever, instead of just generating what is essentially an image texture, I might have a clue as to how you can massively optimise your engine :-D
I interpreted it as that he's generating skybox textures procedurally and that the settings for this particular result happened to include a big pile of stars.
Ringu wrote:
Talvieno wrote:I think it's slightly excessive, but overall very pretty. Maybe star density could vary depending on where you are. :) Then we could occasionally find systems with (almost) that many stars. ...but I think it's quite likely that Josh has already thought of making star count vary per system. :P
I think it would be jarringly unrealistic if two neighbouring star systems had different star counts :-)

How it ends up working will depend a lot on the theory of Universe Generation in use; if a galaxy is generated, then it might be possible to actually represent the visible stars at each location, but that's never going to work for a truly limitless universe so I'd expect the star field to be generated once on game initialisation, and then used as an image/texture after that for every location (modified by additional nebulae/cosmic features).
"Vary depending on where you are" does not strictly imply "random star count for every system's skybox".
Shameless Self-Promotion 0/ magenta 0/ Forum Rules & Game FAQ

Ringu wrote:

Well, I never said that I thought there should be jarring differences between systems. :lol: Just peaks in certain areas.
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Online Now