Return to “Dev Logs”

Re: [Adam] Thursday, February 15, 2018

Naed wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:51 am
Or perhaps what is needed? Is people, to stop making assumptions before they have actually checked.
I'm amazed every time how you are able to say so much every time without contributing literally anything to the discussion
outlander wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:56 am
What the world needs is less people who can't figure out how BBCode works.
Or less people who do not actually read what other people say before responding to them

I won't even respond to DigitalDuck guy, so much mental gymnastics and trying to stir shit up it's not even funny anymore.

Like you guys are hungry for drama or something? How can Adam, Talvieno and Flatfingers respond intelligently and you guys can't?

DoctorGester wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:05 am
Naed wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:51 am
Or perhaps what is needed? Is people, to stop making assumptions before they have actually checked.
I'm amazed every time how you are able to say so much every time without contributing literally anything to the discussion
I am honestly flattered that you put so much meaning to the mere words of one such as myself.

I am here, for the purpose of getting answers to questions

Please do tell, what are you here for again?
DoctorGester wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:05 am
Or less people who do not actually read what other people say before responding to them

I won't even respond to DigitalDuck guy, so much mental gymnastics and trying to stir shit up it's not even funny anymore.

Like you guys are hungry for drama or something? How can Adam, Talvieno and Flatfingers respond intelligently and you guys can't?
So, you didnt read the part about assumptions?

Please man, you are making me very confused here.

First you act as if what i say bothers you so very much. Then you act as if you didnt read/understand what was said.

It is either or. Because as has been established. You are not stupid.

Guys, we don't need this drama. :P We can talk to each other reasonably, and everyone should be permitted to state their own opinions without anyone jumping on them. :) Let's keep it polite and civil so we can have a meaningful discussion, if that's what we want to have. I don't think any of us actually want drama (and if anyone does, they should probably step back from the keyboard and chill until they feel better about it). We're supposed to be a friendly community here, and this isn't showing that very well. We can do better, right? :)
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

kostuek wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:58 am
I always suspected Garbage Collector is for people writing garbage code. :ghost: Seems Adam managed to cause some drama over this, great fun to read. :lol:
A GC is a perfect example of the kind of tool Adam doesn't want.

A GC simply allows a programmer to forget about memory for a moment, and just get his code working FAST.

This is why one is present in Javascript, and Java. JS because it's a language designed around it's payload being as small as possible, and still do as much as possible. Because every character counts in a HTTP transaction. So if you can limit the size of the JS script, you get a faster page load, and thus can fit more users in for the same bandwidth.

While Java is developed for, quite frankly, idiots without any clue about how things work in a lower level. It abstracts as much as possible away from the programmer, and as such it has been adopted as the Industry Standard for in-house solutions. And is chewing a MAJOR section of the third party solution market.
Modern computer systems cannot escape Java, because it was written to be used by idiots, and the vast majority of people ARE idiots.

Ten thousand idiots with Java will out produce one hundred experts with C. Not in quality, nor in users processed/second, but in sales and quantity.
And for business, sales is all they care about.
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
WebGL Spaceships and Trails
<Cuisinart8> apparently without the demon driving him around Silver has the intelligence of a botched lobotomy patient ~ Mar 04 2020
console.log(`What's all ${this} ${Date.now()}`);

Baile nam Fonn wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:30 pm
Distant wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:58 pm
Finally, it's up :)

Video Dev Log Review: https://youtu.be/3pdUd2vbN0M
I do love seeing that warp node eye-candy again; prompted me to indulge in a little Update 21 nostalgic chill-out. :thumbup:

I bounced off Adam's rather cerebral wall-of-text, but your carefully prepared video has made the jist of the log and thread discussion more accessible. Thanks. :)
Really glad you enjoyed it :)
Shoot ALL the things!

Ten thousand idiots with Java will out produce one hundred experts with C
I would rather say 100 java experts will vastly out produce 100 C experts. Because java is not used to make games, people make websites with it, which are usually database-bound and hence are not required to be realtime. So it's "fine" probably. The memory consumption is still atrocious though.

What I find interesting is that features like garbage collection are apparently bound inseparably from the language. Sure, the code you write is informed by the features available to you, but why isn't there e.g. a "manual" mode for Java memory management or a garbage collection library/module for C? Are there languages in which you can turn on/off these features at will?

Its cheaper for a company to buy more powerful processing hardware, than employing additional programmers to try and fix performance issues in Java.
Java can run quite fast and memory efficient, but thats harder to do than using a standard casual OOP approach and plugging in established (bloated) libraries.
Its more convenient and faster (and thus also less error-prone).

At the end of the day: stability and maintainability dominate over performance in (server-side) business solutions.

Flatfingers wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:33 am
Damocles wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:04 pm
At the end of the day: stability and maintainability dominate over performance in (server-side) business solutions.
One sentence that sums up a lot of what I tried to say previously. :D

I've used C. I've used Java. I prefer Java. (Well... Java before %*$& Oracle got hold of it, anyway.)

If that makes me an idiot, so be it.
But Flat.. why not Python??!! :P
:ghost:
YAY PYTHON \o/

In Josh We Trust
-=326.3827=-

Online Now