Return to “REKT”

Post

Re: REKT: BTE Mission 2: Fuhodo Station

#92
Hema wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 11:04 am
Once we're alone, whisper to Buck.
"Frank the Janitor? Really?
What if our little show back there earns him some extra attention?
Nevermind, let's just get ourselves some jobs.
If the whole Frank thing becomes an issue, we'll deal with it."
Scoff, then whisper sarcastically:
"Pfft, come on, what's that ugly lil' fukc back there gonna do, arm itself n' try to hunt down Frank for the bounty? You're right, I'm real scared that Frank's in some mighty big trouble now."

Snigger, then return to more pressing matters:

"If we're really goin' in this here place all sneaky n' shit, once we get out o' this shithole tunnel, we need to find some tin can in port that we can say we came with, if some asshole asks. I can even cook us up some fake IDs, but I sure as hell ain't doin' it while walkin'. We need to find a place to sit, somewhere where we can also figure out the recent news n' rumors n' whatever the hell passes for useful info on this alien-infested rock. Somethin' like..."

Give Brom a big grin

"...say, a pub!"
Image
Post

Re: REKT: BTE Mission 2: Fuhodo Station

#93
F4wk35 wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 11:31 am
The janitor goes over to Caleb and throws an arm over his shoulder with a big, visible grin. However that might look from the outside...
Then lean in closely and whisper to him.

"They're communicating, I think this is turning bad. One left the room, I'm going after him."
Keeping an uneasy grimace from his face, he continues.
"Tell Bob and Saoirse to keep an eye out, I won't follow too far and try to keep this peaceful. I'll try to get back right away.
He then straightens up again, slapping Caleb's back with a, pretended to be mirthful, chuckle.
"Gonna hit the toilet. Be right back!"
I'm somewhat...taken aback by Frank's sudden "camaraderie." I give him a sidelong look as I wonder what the fukc has gotten into him.

Then, he whispers something about going alone into an unfamiliar place to confront some random alien who's probably got something nefarious up its tentacles. I open my mouth to try and suggest he not give these guys any more reason to be unfriendly- or at least not to do so without backup- but before I can get a word out he seemingly attempts to knock me on my face before really obviously lying about going to the bathroom.

I sigh inwardly. This is a terrible idea...but it wouldn't do for me to make it even more terrible.

"Alright, don't take too long," I say, grinning at Frank in what I hope is a convincing-enough manner. Now, how to tell the others without being stupidly obvious...

Once Saoirse is finished talking with the employee, I tap her shoulder and whisper in her ear "Frank saw something sketchy about that clerk and the alien who walked out, be on the lookout."

If the aliens start getting aggressive, I look around to see how many probable opponents we have. If a fight breaks out, I take cover.
Image
Image
Post

Re: REKT: BTE Mission 2: Fuhodo Station

#94
((I'm actually able to do my actions now so Hema's draggery won't be necessary anymore. Thanks though. :D Tal, I guess you can disregard those things if Hema agrees.))
Brom wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 11:04 am
To be on the safe side though, keep an eye out for potential ambushes.
If we are attacked, utter: "You were saying?" then follow Brom into cover and draw my shotgun,
and fire no more than two shells at the nearest foe(s).
Image
Post

Re: REKT: BTE Mission 2: Fuhodo Station

#95
Continue down the tunnel with the rest
Once we leave it, take stock of our surroundings and note any persons of interest (individuals that are looking at us, apparent authority figures/enforcers, etc.)
if at any point we are attacked:
-Find cover
-Defend myself with the baton, if anyone comes into melee range (not exceeding max uses, as usual)
Image
Post

Re: REKT: BTE Mission 2: Fuhodo Station

#96
[IC]Saoirse[/IC]
cuisinart8 wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 1:48 pm
Once Saoirse is finished talking with the employee, I tap her shoulder and whisper in her ear "Frank saw something sketchy about that clerk and the alien who walked out, be on the lookout."
Slightly confused, if a confrontation were too happen I try to look as 'innocent and non-threatening simple customer' as possible.
If an actual fight were to happen I shield myself and the others from fire with Spoon ((obligatory quickdraw slot reminder)) while looking for a possible escape route.
Warning: do not ask about physics unless you really want to know about physics.
The LT IRC / Alternate link || The REKT Wiki || PUDDING
Image
Post

Re: REKT: BTE Mission 2: Fuhodo Station

#97
Turn 4

  "...All right, I thought that might be too easy," Vynkor says. The two inmates - she and Sukava - are perched atop one of the enclosed walkways through the station, staring at the mountainous outcropping of rock that supposedly contains the Palaces. "How about the markets?" By her reasoning, the Markets are likely to have hangar bays for the delivery of goods, and hangars mean entrances.
  Sukava nods, on the same page. "And then approach the Palace from inside the station. Less suspicious too, I think."
  "Yeah, that's what I was thinking."
  And the two inmates begin clambering, again, over the station.

~~~

  The mechanic asked for a name.
  "Frank, duh," the Butcher says, and starts to leave before he second-guesses himself: that might sound too friendly. "Actually, no - Frank Duh-ugh, The Janitor! Folks say whenever he goes somewhere, that place's gonna get cleaned up real mighty of all who did bad by him."
  "Heard he 'cleaned up' a drinking establishment awhile back. Try to steer clear of the guy if you catch wind of him," Killshot advises. "He's extremely dangerous, and should only be approached by trained professionals. Like us."
  Now Frank sounds far cooler than he has any right to, by the Butcher's opinion. "I mean, it's just an alias," he backpedals, "well, probably. Not like he's goin' to use his real name, right? They're always puffed up ta sound badass without bein' true."
  Billy Butcher is prepared to elaborate much more on this, when Killshot grabs him by the collar (figuratively speaking). "Okay, Terminator, that's enough. We'd best get going. The fewer people that know we're looking for him, the better."
  And the little trio continues on down the long hallway, leaving the mechanic staring curiously at their backs.
  In a softer voice, Killshot says, "Frank the Janitor? Really? What if our little show back there earns him some extra attention?"
  The Butcher just shrugs, toying with his meat cleaver baton. "Come on, what's that ugly lil' fukc back there gonna do, arm itself n' try to hunt down Frank for the bounty? You're right, I'm real scared that Frank's in some mighty big trouble now."
  Killshot sighs. "Nevermind, let's just get ourselves some jobs."
  The Butcher - and of course, Hammerhead - seem to agree with this idea. The Butcher in particular hastens to add his thoughts: "Once we get out o' this shithole tunnel, we need to find some tin can in port that we can say we came with, if some asshole asks. I can even cook us up some fake IDs, but I sure as hell ain't doin' it while walkin'. We need to find a place to sit, somewhere where we can also figure out the recent news n' rumors n' whatever the hell passes for useful info on this alien-infested rock. Somethin' like... a pub!" He gives Killshot a crazy grin that quite reflects the new persona he's taken on of Billy the Butcher.
  And so the little group continues on without incident, leaving the vast storage facilities beneath the docks and eventually traveling all the way to the Merc Tower itself. Throughout the journey, they keep an eye open for hostiles, but with their quick pace and clear goal in mind, nobody gives them much thought. They do notice a strange hooded figure tailing them in the distance at one point, but this figure eventually disappears and doesn't show back up, and more than once Billy Butcher is almost convinced he sees a Tartarus Inc. uniform off in the distance, outside of some of the warehouses, but he thinks little of it. Orange is just a color, after all - a color he soon learns is shared by the Fuhodo Mercenary Union. Buck is careful to find a nearby ship to steal the name of: the Latetexo - decent guns on the little thing - at least enough for it to be obvious that it's not a cargo freighter.

~~~

  Ishmael begins to walk slowly towards the approaching figure, his arms raised in the air to show he was unarmed; a signal that transcended the limitations of language and species. He starts talking over the short-range comms: "I am sorry to intrude, esteemed guardian. I would have never done that if I had any control over my flight. You see, we -"
  The approaching figure shakes his head - larger than a human's, Ishmael can now see - and taps his helmet. Then he flashes his fingers several times, each time holding up a different number of fingers. The priest immediately halts, unsure of what to do. For a moment he struggles to understand; the alien figure repeats his action: four fingers, six fingers, three fingers, seven... but what could it mean? Impatiently, he taps his helmet again, very pointedly.
  "...is it comm frequency?" Ishmael asks, fully uncertain. Hesitantly, he checks the comm patch on the arm of his spacesuit and enters the numbers. Then, cautiously: "...Hello?"
  "Well done," a voice says, somehow without any hint of actually meaning congratulations. He sounds grumpy. "You're intruding on a private pad. Also - how are you even up here?"
  "I am sorry to intrude, esteemed guardian," Ishmael says with a polite bow. The alien takes a step back at this in apprehension. "I would have never done that if I had any control over my flight. You see, we - me, and some friends - we've had a little... disagreement... over there at the docks..." He points behind him.
  "Hmm... I see," the guardian murmurs, in thought; possibly gauging whether Ishmael is lying, or telling the truth. He seems to decide on the latter; his weapon lowers slightly.
  Ishmael finishes, "Our disagreement went a bit over the edge, you see, and well... orbital mechanics made me land here."
  "Right. Are they coming back to pick you up?"
  "Regrettably, it is unlikely," the priest frowns. He tries to use his charisma amp to gently prod the guard, but finds that, oddly, the pattern of the user's mind is wholly unfamiliar to him - it's the same disturbing feeling as thinking there's an extra step on the stairs in the dark. Nevertheless, he gives it his best shot. "If you'd be so kind as to show me how I could leave this area and enter the Merc Central proper, I'd be very grateful."
  The alien says not a word, but motions for Ishmael to follow... and so Ishmael does.

  Over in one corner of the docks, beside one of the windows, is an entrance that Ishmael hadn't noticed before; it isn't hidden, but without lighting it's nearly impossible to make out the outline. The guard reaches it, types a password into the computer panel beside the door, and the door slides open without a sound, revealing the shimmering blue field of an airfield. The guard steps well out of the way and motions for Ishmael to pass through.
  Ishmael steps forward and takes a good look around. He is standing in the terminus of a short hallway, the opposite end of which appears to enlarge into some sort of taller, more open area. Around this open area are a number of venues; it's a commercial center, so to speak. They look as though they're taverns, although Ishmael wouldn't be surprised to find offices, headquarters, and possibly illegal weapon shops as well.
  The guard addresses him; he's removed his helmet, revealing a rather ugly-looking face that is vaguely reminiscent of some disturbing cross between a fish and a monkey with a massive brain tumor. "Stay in the main part of Central," he warns. "You're an obvious target."
  ((The guard will answer questions if you choose to ask them.))
  
~~~

  Awkwardly, Saoirse makes an attempt to come up with a story. "Now, I, em, didn't really know t-there was another comms station, it's our first visit here. B-but given yer infrastructure here, it's more likely ye can help us anyway..."
  The plodus behind the counter listens attentively, making no remarks on how incredibly awkward Saoirse seems.
  Meanwhile, Frank's mind is racing. The whole alien communication thing, along with the staff member going through that door beside the counter, could of course just be coincidence. But... at the same time, Frank's squad is already attracting a lot more attention than they should be, and Saoirse is a horrific actress. But there wasn't really any way to be sure - any way other than following the alien through the door to the right of the counter. There's something written on said door - something in some alien script - but Frank is incapable of deciphering it.
  Saoirse, still talking, holds out her PDA to show it to the plodus, without even thinking about the fact that there's a clear Tartarus Inc. insignia on the bottom-right corner. "I don't know why my clients w-want to send something all the way there, b-but we don't get paid to ask questions," she drones on.
  "Hmm," the plodus says, staring thoughtfully at the map. "I suppose... I could potentially send a message out for you. If I route it through Kerzas, I can send it to Cantovaris, although I'm not sure whether they have the reach for it... It may be expensive, so you know, but I know it's possible. ...Let me check on my computer. This will only take a minute." The plodus gives a gentle, reassuring smile and begins tapping at its computer. In the meantime, Saoirse stammers on about her "mission" and her "clients", awkwardly trying to fill the silence.
  Behind Saoirse, Frank puts his arm around Calebs shoulder with a laughing grin and whispers, as though he's making fun of Saoirse behind her back. "They're communicating," he whispers decidedly. "I think this is turning bad. One left the room, and I'm going after him. Tell Bob and Saoirse to keep an eye out. I won't follow too far, and I'll try to keep this peaceful." Caleb, first looking startled, tries to act as though he, too, is making fun of Saoirse. He's just about to whisper back that he'd much rather not give these guys any reason to be unfriendly - but Frank is already pulling away. "Gonna hit the toilet!" Frank says loudly, slapping Caleb's back. "Be right back!"
  "Yeah, don't take too long," Caleb says, forcing a grin that is... well, as relaxed as he could manage.
  Frank starts sneaking towards "the door" - the one that he saw the gray alien go through not a minute prior. He's following the same mindset that kept him alive at the climax of his mission on Nanyej: "Act first, think later" - it's the only thing that can keep him calm. He doesn't really feel like he has a choice, partly because he barely even has time to think this through. If the alien is trying to call in police or reinforcements, then it might feasibly be possible to convince him not to - either through a bribe or some other means.
  "Please keep to the main area," the clerk behind the counter warbles in warning, quickly sighting Frank's not-so-stealthy attempt to sneak past. "That area is for employees only!"
  Frank's heart leaps in his chest. "Don't worry, I won't take long!" he offers reassuringly.
  While the plodus is distracted, Caleb leans forward and whispers in Saoirse's ear. "Frank saw something sketchy about that clerk and the alien who walked out; be on the lookout."
  In moments, Frank is opening the door - a crude one, on hinges, with gaps around the edges that have been padded shut. It looks as though it used to be a sliding door, but was replaced with something simpler at some point. He grabs the handle and pulls, and a bright white light streams out from within, in stark contrast to the dim orange-yellow of the main area.
  The clerk looks ever-so-slightly annoyed at this, and glances back at the little group. Saoirse and Caleb both give friendly, innocent smiles. Neither of them look particularly convincing, but the plodus turns back to its computer anyway. "Let's see, where were we," it coos softly. "From here to Kervas, then to Cantovaris, then Gantua... hmm, more direct but also more costly... Oh! It might be cheaper if we routed it through Minsuul..."

  Frank enters. The door closes with a soft click behind him, and he begins walking forward, examining the cramped surroundings. The walls here are particularly grimy and painted gray, with lime features and edges: it seems to be a workshop of sorts, dedicated to the repair and upkeep of the booths out in the main area. Parts are everywhere - spares or broken, they don't seem to be separated in any way that is immediately discernible. Broken holobooths line the walls further in, while scratched and dented metal shelving racks along the wall are piled so full of different parts that they're starting to sag. Past the narrow entrance hallway, the room seems to open up further, but the majority of the room is hidden from view. It's arranged vaguely like a department store, with aisles of shelving, except the shelving is up against rows of walls with wide, deep alcoves in between them. There are a few mechanics visible in the back of one of these alcoves on the left, tinkering on some kind of greasy equipment.
  After walking to the central intersection, Frank catches sight (or so he thinks) of the alien he saw enter only moments ago, entering a door on the right side of the room, into an area that looks much more like an office than a repair shop. "Hey!" Frank shouts, immediately picking up his pace to hurry after the lone figure. "Please stop! Hear me out! We're not here to - harm... you......." Frank's voice dies in this throat as a massive, burly alien comes out from behind a wall on his left - nearly three meters tall. The towering creature levels a menacing gaze at the young ex-janitor, narrowing his eyes beneath a heavy brow, and points one of his three massive fingers at the intruder.
  His neck craned, Frank takes a step back and swallows.
  "You," the monster utters slowly, in a harsh voice, "shouldn't be here."
  Frank considers his options in what precious few seconds he has. Should he leave? Apologize? Explain? Try to rush past? Attack? Distract? "This is going to get really ugly, I just know it," he murmurs softly.

~~~
  
  Without much fanfare (sorry to say for Brom) they at long last find themselves at one of the entrances to the Merc tower. Ahead of them is the Mercenary Union Department, which Brom understands is like a bureaucratic version of a DMV, except for mercenary work instead of driving cars. It's the first stop coming from the docks or hangars for that very reason. Checking in could be a tricky proposition, but it's not without its benefits. If they wanted to skip it entirely, they could of course go elsewhere in the tower and see if they could find some better leads.

~~~

  Sukava and Vynkor, after yet another lengthy trek across the station's surface, manage to come to an entrance to the station outside the markets - a small hangar, airshielded and dirty. It has room for one, maybe two small cargo carriers. It's really not that much, and appears to be empty, although there are signs that people have been here recently. Half-eaten food sits on a table at a far corner of the chamber, while an oily liquid pools on a particularly dirty section of the old, checker-plated metal floor. Some kind of screen at the back has a number of messages hastily scribbled onto it in a variety of languages, looking almost like a corkboard, and the sound of an air fan permeates their helmets. The hangar is certainly not abandoned.
  On attempting to leave, however, they soon find that the main exit is... well, locked. They'll have to come up with a way to get in. If it's not one thing, it's another.
  At that exact moment, a separate door near the food tables slides open: a funny looking little alien in dirty getup enters, plops himself down in a chair, and starts eating, his back to them.
  The two inmates exchange glances.
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image
Image
Image
Post

Re: REKT: BTE Mission 2: Fuhodo Station

#98
Talvieno wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 3:17 pm
Ahead of them is the Mercenary Union Department, which Brom understands is like a bureaucratic version of a DMV, except for mercenary work instead of driving cars. It's the first stop coming from the docks or hangars for that very reason. Checking in could be a tricky proposition, but it's not without its benefits.
Roll my eyes at this, mutter:

"My fukcin'..."

Turn to the other two and speak up:

"We really doin' this? I fukcin' hate these kind o' goddamn pen-pushers!"
Image
Post

Re: REKT: BTE Mission 2: Fuhodo Station

#100
outlander wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:17 pm
Spoiler:      SHOW
"I kindly thank ye, esteemed guardian! I shall keep to the main areas then. A little question: which of those bar places you'd recommend? I'd want something quiet, naturally; and maybe where I can just take a bottle with me? I don't want to keep my friends waiting for too long."
The guard raises an eyebrow - or, you feel he would, if he had an eyebrow to raise. "A quiet one? Hmm. You might try The Last Ponderance. It's down four levels, take the elevator on your left. There's also the Midday Recliner, up two levels. Second one is quieter, mostly because it's frequented by security." He pauses, looks at you with something akin to slight judgment or mistrust - perhaps suspicion. "If this is your first visit, you and your 'friends' will need to check in with the Mercenary Union Department. It's at the bottom floor of the elevator on your left after you exit this hallway."
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image
Image
Image
Post

Re: REKT: BTE Mission 2: Fuhodo Station

#101
Talvieno wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:29 pm
The guard raises an eyebrow - or, you feel he would, if he had an eyebrow to raise. "A quiet one? Hmm. You might try The Last Ponderance. It's down four levels, take the elevator on your left. There's also the Midday Recliner, up two levels. Second one is quieter, mostly because it's frequented by security." He pauses, looks at you with something akin to slight judgment or mistrust - perhaps suspicion. "If this is your first visit, you and your 'friends' will need to check in with the Mercenary Union Department. It's at the bottom floor of the elevator on your left after you exit this hallway."
"I thank thee! You are absolutely right, it'd be our first time here indeed. I am sorry again that I've entered in such a... roundabout way. I shall grab a drink, wait for my friends, and then I'll personally make sure they are checked in! I think they would be coming from the direction of the hangars...where would be the best place to intercept them? At the entrance?
Image
Survivor of the Josh Parnell Blackout of 2015.
Post

Re: REKT: BTE Mission 2: Fuhodo Station

#103
"That's just perfect!"

Thank the guard again, and give him a couple of plats for his troubles. Wave him good-bye.

Calmly walk towards the elevator on the left, noting what kind of places are around.
Go down four levels.
Find and enter The Last Ponderance.
Order a drink - something beer-like, strong and with nice flavour.


Shiver me timbers! And now - what? I be in a Ninja-nest. FSM knows where are my teammates - probably, still trying to get inside, for lacking His guidance, their existence is futile, and destined to failure! - but this is beyond the point. The point is that I was sent here. The Lord's will is not always immediately clear, and the surest path is not always the one we are required to walk...but in this case, I honestly have no clue what to do.

Drink.

I shall trust in our Lord's infinite wisdom. He carried me thus far, He shall carry me further.

Take note of my surroundings, especially of the people who come into the bar.
Last edited by outlander on Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image
Survivor of the Josh Parnell Blackout of 2015.

Online Now

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron