Return to “REKT”

REKT: BTE Mission 2: Fuhodo Station

TURN 0:
MISSION 2: FUHODO STATION
Talvieno wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 9:07 am
Sounds like everyone's about done - and just in time, too. You have roughly enough time to stop by the armory, pick up your gear, and head to the elevators before the shuttles are scheduled to arrive. Given your track record, that means you'll be late, so get your asses moving! See you when you get back, and try not to do anything stupid. SCAMPS, out.
After SCAMPS gives the order, the REKT crew leave their chairs and start towards the armory to collect their gear. When they arrive, they find that Hoffman has already laid it all out for them. It's just a matter of equipping everything, which takes about five minutes. Again, there is no privacy, but the inmates are starting to get used to that. When they're all ready to go, they head down back past the conference hall to the main bridge's elevators.

Waiting for them outside the elevator is Terrin Zetch, the ship's Chief Supply Officer. He's a rather weathered man with snow-white hair, a wild (if short) beard, and a fairly grim attitude. "SCAMPS said to give you 200 plat each, minimum," he says in a troubled tone, pulling stacks of the chips out of a box on a cheap table. The hallway is empty except for their little group and Zetch's assistant. "If any of you kids want extra, you'll have to tell me now. We don't have an extensive supply of these, so I can't just go throwing them around willy-nilly. If you manage to collect any more while you're away, bring them back and I'll exchange them for creds. One-to-one exchange rate, on the books." The only person that doesn't have more creds to exchange is Gene, and everybody wants a bit extra. After all, 200 plat might not actually be worth that much. It's better to be safe.

When everyone is satisfied, Zetch's assistant clears out the table and the weighty box of chips, and Zetch himself activates the makeshift airlock: essentially a bubble of plastic around the elevator door. It billows outwards loosely, providing enough room for all ten REKT inmates to squeeze inside. Everyone checks their suits and helmets, and after they give an all-clear, Zetch seals the bubble. On cue - perhaps it's SCAMPS's doing - the door to the elevator opens, sucking out all the air from the "airlock"; the plastic conforms closely around the inmates. After a moment's pause, they enter the dark, empty shaft, lit intermittently by maintenance lights embedded in the walls.

But there's no elevator. It really is just an empty shaft. A few are puzzled by this momentarily, until someone notices the ladder carved into the outer wall. And so, one by one, the crew begin climbing upwards, traversing the span of several decks in the process. The top of the shaft was destroyed in the battle of Nanyej: ahead of them, the ladder appears charred and melted, and the wall to their left has been blown clean away. Caleb, after a word to his teammates, leaps across and lands on the surface of the Nemesis's vast hull.

It isn't long before all ten inmates stand atop the surface, in the shadow of the battered, ruined wreck of the bridge. The carpet of stars above them boasts an altogether unfamiliar arrangement, and the glare from Fuhodo itself nearly outshines them anyway. But these are only sideshows to the main attractions, which are already parked a few meters away: their imminent method of transportation.

The shuttles aren't anything spectacular. They seat six people each, there are no windows, and the seats are only benches. In lieu of seat belts or harnesses, the interior is equipped with straps that one could feasibly hang onto in case of erratic flight. The only exterior adornment of any kind, save the peeling paint stripes that have long been muddied by grime and scratches, are screens mounted on the hull. What they normally say is up for debate, but right now, each of the two shuttles displays a unique variant of "Hurry up and board", written in Galactic Standard. Dutifully, the REKT squad members climb through the hatch and the airshield into their seats - Saoirse, Bob, Frank, and Caleb fill one shuttle by themselves, and in the other: Buck, Brom, Gene, Ishmael, Sukava, and Vynkor. The hatch closes behind them.

But the shuttle doesn't lift off. "Payment first," the pilot explains, his voice thick with an obscure accent. "I was promised an awful lot for this trip - 600 plat. I'll go as low as 300 if that's a problem," he adds in a meaningful tone. "I'm sure there are plenty of people in Fuhodo that would pay the difference for a bit of knowledge. And I still haven't been told where I'm supposed to take you."

A payment slot on the front wall opens up, like a mouth ready to gobble up whatever quantity of plat the inmates are willing to toss into it.

((Just to make sure things are absolutely clear: All characters have 200 plat free, and all their creds have been converted to plat as well at a 1:1 rate. I'm updating the character pages on the wiki to match now.

Finally, keep in mind: this mission will be VERY HIGHLY different from the previous missions. I'm only starting this turn with "turn 0" because it's the only way to make Taiya announce it in IRC.

Enjoy, and welcome to Fuhodo Station!))
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image
Re: REKT: BTE Mission 2: Fuhodo Station

0111narwhalz wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 12:03 pm
[IC]Vynkor[/IC]
"Oi, noodledude. You're a pirate, right?"
"Indeed I am, but it doesn't mean I am willing to commandeer this tin can."

Turn to others.

"Ahem."

"Mateys (and the ninja-spawn over here), let's not be unreasonable over this. 'tis is just not Noodly.

First, 600 credits is nothing between the six of us; so quit being so greedy, for greed is vile unto me and unto your fellow Creations.

Second, we can probably get a more reasonable price without resorting to stabbing people in the face, which is never a pretty sight, and is not a Noodly way of conducting business. Not to mention there is a wall separating us, and call me a filthy landlubber for not wanting to use high-power weaponry in such a confined space, but I just don't want to."

Approach the payment slot and speak into it.

"Greetings, esteemed pilot. We, of course, can pay your price, although I am not sure it is the one agreed upon by our predecessors. There is, however, no guarantee at all that you wouldn't want to make some easy money on the side by selling us out anyway. In fact, there is absolutely no telling if you wouldn't just sell us right away and land us somewhere with a welcome party already waiting for us. So I imagine you can see how we might be doubtful about higher payment guaranteeing better quality of service."

Apply some pressure on the pilot with my charismatic amp, gently and carefully.

"We want to ensure that we arrive at our destinations without attracting any unwanted attention, and that you get your extra profit which, I imagine, is important in those hard times."

Apply some more pressure on the pilot with my charismatic amp.

"Say, we pay you 300 credits, here and now, and another 90 after arriving at each destination (we have two places to go, by the way), so 480 creds total. I am also quite sure we'll give you a tip if we like the service - especially the...unassuming and inconspicuous nature of our travel, if you get what I mean. What do you say to that?"
Survivor of the Josh Parnell Blackout of 2015.

Assuming that the payment machine is an outdated piece of crap, try and connect to it using my PDA
if I successfully break into it without alarming anyone
-Bug out the software to display a "1000 cred payment" next time someone makes a payment
if the previous hack seems to have been successful and undetected:
-Wordlessly make a 1 cred payment to the machine
-if it displays 1000 creds:
--Say: "Heh, don't worry y'all, I've got this. Feelin' in a good mood, gettin' off that piece o' crap scraphole."
--Turn to the pilot and say: "The extra there is for you to keep your piehole shut, we have an understandin'?"
-Otherwise, if the hack didn't work and the machine literally displays "1 cred" as my payment:
--Awkwardly turn to the others and say "Huh, just testin' this thing out."
--Insert 49 creds in the thing. If someone protests/requests that I give more, retort: "Hey, I ain't givin' this goddamn scammer a single tin more, he's already robbin' us blind as it is!"
-if at any point an alarm is raised about the machine being hacked, play dumb and pretend that I'm just trying to connect to the wifi and simply being clueless
Last edited by Hapchazzard on Mon May 20, 2019 9:07 am, edited 2 times in total.

Talvieno wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 11:19 am
But the shuttle doesn't lift off. "Payment first," the pilot explains, his voice thick with an obscure accent. "I was promised an awful lot for this trip - 600 plat. I'll go as low as 300 if that's a problem," he adds in a meaningful tone. "I'm sure there are plenty of people in Fuhodo that would pay the difference for a bit of knowledge. And I still haven't been told where I'm supposed to take you."

A payment slot on the front wall opens up, like a mouth ready to gobble up whatever quantity of plat the inmates are willing to toss into it.
And of course we don't really know how much things are actually worth here...

Perhaps the pilot was attempting to scam them, perhaps not...it was likely though that he might want to talk a bit more money out of them, given the conditions on the station and all.

There was also the chance that he'd sell them out to someone in a higher position. SCAMPS said they wouldn't be seen favourable on the station, after all...

Take a deep breath
Try to appear confident. The merc-outfit was new, but otherwise it had similarities to what he did before being shoved at Tartarus.inc...so long it didn't come to open fights, he could perhaps manage...

'That of course depends on what kind of knowledge, no? Looking for...certain items, perhaps. Or jobs...no need to stay longer than neccessary, after all...'

Checking the map on the PDA

'You can probably drop us off over the whole length of the docks and the hamgars, right?'
Apparently, sometimes stuff might happen.
- - - - - - - -

F4wk35 wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 2:11 pm
'That of course depends on what kind of knowledge, no? Looking for...certain items, perhaps. Or jobs...no need to stay longer than neccessary, after all...'
I sigh at the pilot's display of greed...but I guess I should be thankful SCAMPS made sure to give us extra plat. I turn to Frank first, though.

"Frank...he wasn't talking about giving us information, he's threatening to tell people who we are."

I turn to include the rest of the squad.

"Probably best to just pay up, we don't want more trouble than we're already likely to get anyway. We can split the cost between us."

[IC]Vynkor[/IC]
Hmm, this thing looks cheap enough that this might just work.
I take a plat token (or coin or whatever these things are) and attach a string to it. With glue or by looping it through a convenient lanyard slot or something, I dunno.
I wait until last to pay up.
If Buck's hack works, skip all the payment stuff.
If Ishmael's scheme works:
-I insert 50 plat (with the string attached).
If it does not:
-I insert 100 plat (still with the string attached).
In either case, I then attempt to retract the string, with the goal of pulling the plat token/coin back out.
If it does not successfully extract the plat:
-I shrug.
"Worth a shot."
If it extracts the plat but the payment fails:
-I remove the string and reinsert the plat.

Upon landing:
If Ishmael's scheme works (and I therefore have yet to pay my remaining 30(+ up to 20 for a tip)):
-If the string trick worked:
–I try the same trick again with the same 50 plat.
((Assume the same failure handling in case it doesn't work a second time.))
-If it didn't:
–I pay 30, plus a tip of up to 20 based on ride quality.

TotallyNotHuman wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 5:48 pm
To Brom: "Hey, Brom. Think you could, er, persuade the shuttle pilot to give us a discount? I don't exactly trust him, and blowing roughly half of my spending money here is probably not a wise choice."
"I am Brom Keegan! Master Assassin, nightmare of all who would harm the undeserving, and shining hope of the innocent!
To try weasel my way out of a simple transportation fee would tarnish my reputation as a legend! No, I will pay my share in full.
Your displeasure is noted however, and given the current state of your wallet I will cover your share as well!
Remember this, Gene. For one does not reach my level of greatness through greed!"

Get up, place 200 plat in the slot, and sit back down.
"Pilot, I am Brom Keegan: a legendary assassin and galactic hero!
At this moment I am returning from a long vacation, and I'm trying to get back into things.
If you have any work fit for me and my team while we're at the station, we will do our best to complete it!

Further, I believe we've agreed on merc central for our landing point.
If you have a better idea of where a group of highly skilled fighters should go however, please let us know.
Breaker of fortune cookies

Online Now