Return to “REKT”

Re: REKT: BTE Mission 2: Fuhodo Station

"Yeah and if you'd have waited, we would've had an entire pad instead of this fecking sliced thing."
caveman repulsion and nerd battle it out for a few short moments, but nerd wins...for now.
"I'm not sure what the electrostatic anomaly came from, but presumably it was how the thing was formed - if ye look at these gravitic vector scans, ye see that inside the bubble there was about normal gravity, while the rest of the station is kept at 0.5g. It was also obvious it wasn't a holographic projection - matter passed through the edge. One might think it's a wormhole, but those don't operate like that, even if they exist. Porting steel also doesn't fit, as that just transports matter in an instant. So clearly it was a spatial superposition of another parts of spacetime on our locality. The logical assumption would be that it's simply a spatial link, I mean, not that simple is the right word, because we have no idea how to make those, but anyway - the scan also picked up on the neutrino background, which given her environment we can likely assume is fairly 'clean', especially since little things produce low energy neutrino's; and if we compare the energy distribution it's slightly off compared to what it should be. Not by a lot, but it's notably not within the margin of error, which indicates it doesn't lead to our universe, but to a slightly older one. Which in itself is groundbreaking! It's proof of multiverse theory! Do you know how big that is? If we could verify and publish this...
(( saoirse obviously pulls up the needed graphs and data for all this explanation on her pad :ghost: ))
noting that Buck likely does not understand how big this is, I decide to simplify
"Em. Em, simpler stated... So, let's say our universe is a poster, and there's a parallel universe that's also a poster. Someone, or something, cut out a circle out of the other poster, and put it on top of our poster, and that's what we saw. No clue how, or why."

On second thought...dustwalkers...she was looking at us, and just us. The only thing we have in common is that we've been in cryo...hmmmm
Maybe I should see if I can get my hands on schematics for those cryo pods and how they work...
Warning: do not ask about physics unless you really want to know about physics.
The LT IRC / Alternate link || The REKT Wiki || PUDDING

Dinosawer wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:33 pm
"Yeah and if you'd have waited, we would've had an entire pad instead of this fecking sliced thing."
caveman repulsion and nerd battle it out for a few short moments, but nerd wins...for now.
"I'm not sure what the electrostatic anomaly came from, but presumably it was how the thing was formed - if ye look at these gravitic vector scans, ye see that inside the bubble there was about normal gravity, while the rest of the station is kept at 0.5g. It was also obvious it wasn't a holographic projection - matter passed through the edge. One might think it's a wormhole, but those don't operate like that, even if they exist. Porting steel also doesn't fit, as that just transports matter in an instant.
So far, so good - I actually understand this part
Dinosawer wrote:
So clearly it was a spatial superposition of another parts of spacetime on our locality. The logical assumption would be that it's simply a spatial link, I mean, not that simple is the right word, because we have no idea how to make those, but anyway - the scan also picked up on the neutrino background, which given her environment we can likely assume is fairly 'clean', especially since little things produce low energy neutrino's; and if we compare the energy distribution it's slightly off compared to what it should be. Not by a lot, but it's notably not within the margin of error, which indicates it doesn't lead to our universe, but to a slightly older one. Which in itself is groundbreaking! It's proof of multiverse theory! Do you know how big that is? If we could verify and publish this...
This neutrino mumbo jumbo stuff lost me, but I think I actually get the gist
Dinosawer wrote:
(( saoirse obviously pulls up the needed graphs and data for all this explanation on her pad :ghost: ))
noting that Buck likely does not understand how big this is, I decide to simplify
"Em. Em, simpler stated... So, let's say our universe is a poster, and there's a parallel universe that's also a poster. Someone, or something, cut out a circle out of the other poster, and put it on top of our poster, and that's what we saw. No clue how, or why."
Though I had looked confused initially, get a look of realization upon hearing the poster analogy
Contemplate this while rubbing my chin. After a few seconds:

"Huh... How did you...? Eh, I was never good at this math crap anyway, but I'll trust you on that netrino stuff. So, parallel universes - that sounded kind of out there even in the movies. You're sayin' this is somethin' that dun' happens often?"

Glance at the sample bags that Sukava is holding, and say

"Maybe I could get the rest of the story from the slate?"

Upon, presumably, taking the half-PDA (CAREFULLY, unusually so for my character), chuckle and remark:

"Well, half of it, anyway."

Try and extract as much useful info from the disk. Do not push my limits - if I feel that there is a danger of destroying information, do not continue
Make a note of any possibly interesting info that can be gleaned about the PDA itself - model, structural peculiarities, etc.

"I've never read about anythin like t-this happenin, but according to our new f-friend it's not unheard of h-here... but this s-seems to be the first d-documented case.
Which r-reminds me..."
I package my data and notes on the event, and send a copy to each of my fellow inmates' PDA's (via direct device to device transfer without using station wifi, which I assume is fairly safe against intrusion) just in case something happens to mine.
"Maybe I could get the rest of the story from the slate?"
"You c-can try I guess..."
I hand over the half PDA gently and put it back in my backpack when Buck is done with it

Well, that was...odd. I can't help but wonder what the woman was trying to say before the portal got cut off- and also can't help but feel a bit sorry she got her finger cut off. However, maybe it'll help us in the end. The woman looked strangely like she recognized us...

"It looks like those breaches might not be a natural phenomenon, or at least this one certainly seems to have been deliberately created. Though they seemed real surprised about where they ended up...maybe we didn't see those nezoelb because it was made by those people?"

As I am doing my thing with the PDA, listen to Caleb and Saoirse's convo and pipe in, trying to also look smart:

"Maybe them past-future-alternate reality folks were testin' out some borin' lookin' ancient alien gadget, pressed the wrong button n' punched a hole in reality by accident? Speakin' o' which, why here? Of all the places in the galaxy, they choose this craphole rock?"

As if I came to some profound conclusion:

"There must be some kind o', like, evil ancient alien ruin or artifact o' doom here! Well, whatever it is, I call dibs on it!"

Excitedly continue analyzing the disk, dreaming of world destroying alien weapons and unimaginable treasures ripe for the taking

Listen to Saoirse long enough to get an idea of what just happened, and allow the others to talk amongst themselves for a moment before I speak up.

"Being a man of many talents, I can appreciate the importance of the events that just unfolded, and I would love to discuss the ramifications of interdimensional travelers forcing passage to meet me.
That said, might I remind you that we're still on a station whose inhabitants would like little more than to end your lives?
Being on this station is hazardous to our health, and I would advise leaving as soon as we're able.
We've lost a number of friends, and I would like to avoid losing more."

Turn to the natives present.
"We would like to take our leave now.
Due to my popularity, trouble has a tendency to follow at my heels.
The longer we're here, the more difficulty we'll cause you."
Breaker of fortune cookies

Hema wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 12:14 pm
Listen to Saoirse long enough to get an idea of what just happened, and allow the others to talk amongst themselves for a moment before I speak up.

"Being a man of many talents, I can appreciate the importance of the events that just unfolded, and I would love to discuss the ramifications of interdimensional travelers forcing passage to meet me.
That said, might I remind you that we're still on a station whose inhabitants would like little more than to end your lives?
Being on this station is hazardous to our health, and I would advise leaving as soon as we're able.

Turn to the natives present.
"We would like to take our leave now.
Due to my popularity, trouble has a tendency to follow at my heels.
The longer we're here, the more difficulty we'll cause you."
"W-wait, now hol' on a bit - yeah, this place's a shithole, but what if there's really some kind of alien treasure here? Imagine what we could do with that intradamnentional time machine or whatever them things in the portal used!"

Narrow my eyes, and say with a conspiratorial voice:

"Imagine if them squids got a hold of it first! We need to do this for the good o' humanity n' shit!"

Hema wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 12:14 pm
Brom's words bring me back to reality. I'd allowed myself to briefly forget why we were here in the shock of the portal opening.

"Brom's right," I say, uttering a phrase I'd never dreamt of saying before then. "We have the PDA piece and the woman's finger, those can be analyzed better back on the ship. We need to get out of this hellhole."
Hapchazzard wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 12:22 pm

"W-wait, now hol' on a bit - yeah, this place's a shithole, but what if there's really some kind of alien treasure here? Imagine what we could do with that intradamnentional time machine or whatever them things in the portal used!"

Narrow my eyes, and say with a conspiratorial voice:

"Imagine if them squids got a hold of it first! We need to do this for the good o' humanity n' shit!"
"Buck, you've seen this place. What kind of treasure worth the name could there possibly be here of all places? Let's just leave before someone else tries to kill us."

Dinosawer wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 12:39 pm
"Em. Now, while I'd l-love to leg it, we were here t-to find a start, and all we've got so f-far is an offer for work l-later, not now..."
I look questioningly at the other two squads.
"Eh, Brom n' me found some... squid willin' to give tin if we bust some station up n' fetch some rover for it. As much as I fukcin' hate squids, that's all we found, n' it's better than nothin'."

[IC]Vynkor[/IC]
As the anomaly dissipates, I sag a bit and lower my pistol. The revelations about interuniversal superposition would, under normal conditions, at least intrigue me, but at this point Saoirse just sounds like another excitable scientist. Tensions seem to be easing, so I instead take a moment to decompress and take stock. I just need some time to think, and maybe get my heart rate down…
Saoirse wrote:
[…] the scan also picked up on the neutrino background, which given her environment we can likely assume is fairly 'clean', especially since little things produce low energy neutrino's; and if we compare the energy distribution it's slightly off compared to what it should be. Not by a lot, but it's notably not within the margin of error, which indicates it doesn't lead to our universe, but to a slightly older one.
"…Wait. Slightly older? Is there any reason it couldn't be this universe?"
Last edited by 0111narwhalz on Fri Aug 21, 2020 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Serava Dai listens carefully to Saoirse's musings, and understands the gist of it, even if she's nowhere near the expert that the irishwoman seems to be. She isn't necessarily fully aware of the implications of this discovery - but she seems to realize how important it is."Could you send that data to me?" she asks, suddenly dropping the rude, rough attitude. "My superiors would find it very valuable..." The commander reaches forwards and presses a finger against the top of Saoirse's PDA; a notification springs up at the top of the screen with the information necessary to send something to Serava Dai short-range.

Meanwhile, Saoirse has handed the Fingerless Woman's PDA chunk to Buck, who is going to try to hack and read a partial disc. This is, understandably, no small feat. He sits down on the ground, the fragment (still in a sample bag) placed carefully on the ground in front of him, and he begins his delicate attempt.

Brom turns to the "natives" present, which, as nobody really tried to stop Almina's party as they left, is exactly no one. We'll assume he gives no shits about alien nationality and wants to talk to the Cybersuits - specifically the Commander, who is the only one that the writers decided to give lines. "We would like to take our leave now," Brom says. "Due to my popularity, trouble has a tendency to follow at my heels. The longer we're here, the more difficulty we'll cause you."

Serava Dai shrugs. "I'm not stopping you. My soldiers and I will leave the station shortly."
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

She's asking, but she's perfectly capable of taking that data if she wants it...and we had enough people dying today...
"I wouldn't mind knowing wh-who I be sharing this d-data with, b-but..."
I press the needed buttons to send the data package to Serava Dai.
"...if it weren't for ye w-we'd be a bloody p-paste, so. F-fair's fair, I g-guess."
((space for possible reply))
"Ah! B-before I forget - while we w-were fighting earlier - t-there was a large explosion up - do ye know what t-that was?

Online Now