Return to “REKT”

Re: REKT: BTE Mission 2: Fuhodo Station

0111narwhalz wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 11:42 pm
[IC]Vynkor[/IC]
Brom wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 11:28 pm
"Your displeasure is noted however, and given the current state of your wallet I will cover your share as well!"
"…You want to cover my share too, while you're offering handouts?"
"That you would ask such a thing disappoints me, Vynka.
You have more than enough credits to cover your fare, Gene on the other hand has next to nothing.
I would like to have though that I taught you better during our last mission.
Although... You were unconscious for a significant portion, so perhaps you missed my exemplary manners."
Breaker of fortune cookies

[IC]Vynkor[/IC]
Brom wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 12:04 am
"That you would ask such a thing disappoints me, Vynka."
"Well, it's a good thing I'm not seeking validation from you, then, isn't it?"
Brom wrote:
"I would like to have though that I taught you better during our last mission.
Although... You were unconscious for a significant portion, so perhaps you missed my exemplary manners."
"Hah! Manners indeed. I'm sure I didn't miss out on anything important while the drake was sweeping the floor with you either."

Vynka wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 12:08 am
Brom wrote:
"Hah! Manners indeed. I'm sure I didn't miss out on anything important while the drake was sweeping the floor with you either."
"That was an experiment to see how my team would preform without my guidance!
Were you in any serious danger, I of course would have intervened."
Breaker of fortune cookies

cuisinart8 wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 7:07 pm
F4wk35 wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 2:11 pm
'That of course depends on what kind of knowledge, no? Looking for...certain items, perhaps. Or jobs...no need to stay longer than neccessary, after all...'
I sigh at the pilot's display of greed...but I guess I should be thankful SCAMPS made sure to give us extra plat. I turn to Frank first, though.

"Frank...he wasn't talking about giving us information, he's threatening to tell people who we are."

I turn to include the rest of the squad.

"Probably best to just pay up, we don't want more trouble than we're already likely to get anyway. We can split the cost between us."
"And hope he doesn't sell us out regardless. Anyway, that's 150 plat each then."
I take out 150 plat, and put it in the payment machine if the others seem to agree to do so as well.
"And we wanted to go to the downtown, right?"
Warning: do not ask about physics unless you really want to know about physics.
The LT IRC / Alternate link || The REKT Wiki || PUDDING

[IC]Frank[/IC]
cuisinart8 wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 7:07 pm
"Frank...he wasn't talking about giving us information, he's threatening to tell people who we are."
...Now that was a blunder... Turning slightly red, the former janitor turns to Caleb with an apologetic and thankful face.

'It still wouldn't hurt to know a bit more about the location...'
Dinosawer wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 12:28 am
"And hope he doesn't sell us out regardless. Anyway, that's 150 plat each then."
I take out 150 plat, and put it in the payment machine if the others seem to agree to do so as well.
"And we wanted to go to the downtown, right?"
'Yes, yes and sure, let's go there.'

Put the 150 plat into the slot
Turn to the pilot again with a sigh
'The people on the station wouldn't be the only ones paying for information, too...'
Apparently, sometimes stuff might happen.
- - - - - - - -

Facepalm, hard.

Speak to the pilot again:

"And as you can see, our crewmate here is feeling really generous today. I bet that is only the beginning of his generosity, and his tip will probably far outstrip ours! All you need to do is deliver us to our destination - first, the palace, and then the merc central, and then keep quiet for the next several hours."

((Folks, we all are a little rusty here, please make sure you don't get any OOC knowledge (I am guilty of that, too!). Like, you probably don't know Buck is trying to hack stuff since he didn't tell, and it might not be immediately clear from his actions, etc.))
Survivor of the Josh Parnell Blackout of 2015.

Brom wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 11:28 pm
"Your displeasure is noted however, and given the current state of your wallet I will cover your share as well!"
Vynkor wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 11:42 pm
"…You want to cover my share too, while you're offering handouts?"
"Brom, thank you kindly. Very generous, and might I add, brave of you.
Vynkor, if you're so pissed about his magnanimity, how about you take my share instead." Hold out 100 plat for Vynkor to take, while balling up my other fist. Resist the urge to throw the plat in her face.

[IC]Vynkor[/IC]
Gene wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 9:01 pm
"Vynkor, if you're so pissed about his magnanimity, how about you take my share instead."
"I'm not pissed about him giving you money. I just didn't want to miss any opportunities for free stuff." I look at Gene's outstretched plat suspiciously. "You can keep your plat—I've found that it's best to avoid taking money from an angry man. Much better to restrict your donors to self-important fools."

[IC]Saoirse[/IC]
"Sure Bob... see, this is a hundred, this is a twenty, this is a ten. Two times twenty is forty. Forty and ten is fifty. And a hundred and this fifty is hundred and fifty, see?" I say as I count out the 150 plat for Bob and hand it to him to put in the slot, and then hand him his other creds to put away again.
Warning: do not ask about physics unless you really want to know about physics.
The LT IRC / Alternate link || The REKT Wiki || PUDDING

Dinosawer wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 3:33 am
[IC]Saoirse[/IC]
"Sure Bob... see, this is a hundred, this is a twenty, this is a ten. Two times twenty is forty. Forty and ten is fifty. And a hundred and this fifty is hundred and fifty, see?" I say as I count out the 150 plat for Bob and hand it to him to put in the slot, and then hand him his other creds to put away again.
Put the credits in the slot and put the others away.

"Thanks Saoirse-boss"
Flash Saoirse a happy grin
LT Wiki | IRC | REKT Wiki
Idiots. Idiots everywhere. ~Dr. Cha0zz

TURN 1:

  After the pilot explains to everyone how much he wants them to pay for the flight - extortion or not - Bob is the first to speak up. "Bob no can count for pay," he says plaintively, holding his plat out to Saoirse. "Saoirse help?"
  The woman gives a warm, motherly smile and begins helping him count out the correct amount. "Sure, Bob," she begins, "see, this is a hundred, and this is a twenty. This one here..."
  On the opposite bench, Frank takes a deep breath. This is all very sudden and new to him, and he's not sure he understands. In a shaky voice asks the pilot what kind of knowledge he's offering them - which Caleb has to explain isn't what the pilot meant at all. "He's threatening to tell people who we are if we don't give him what he was promised."
  "More of an offer for if you can't meet promised price," the pilot clarifies.
  Caleb hears this, but makes no direct remark. "Probably best to pay up, we don't want more trouble than we're likely to get anyway." This of course sounds like very sane wisdom to everyone else in the party. After all, they're putting their lives in this person's hands. It wouldn't do to upset him or piss him off.
  One by one, the little fireteam puts their credits into the slot on the front wall - first Frank, then Caleb, then Saoirse, then Bob - exactly 150 each, amounting to 600. There's a pause for a moment, and the pilot chirps in a friendly, cheerful tone, "Ekka viknae, friends! 600, as was promised. Very much appreciated. Off we go!" There's a slight jarring sensation; the inmates feel the shuttle lift off the hull of the Nemesis, turning and heading for some unseen location.
  "By the way, Mister Pilot Person," Saoirse says, trying to be as polite as possible, "do you happen to know where this place called the 'Portside Tanker' is?"
  Partly because of how polite she is, and partly because of the pilot's friendly disposition, he wastes no time in giving rapid-fire response. "Absolutely! That's downtown! Want me to set you down near there? - Actually, I'm already on my way! Just so you know, we're making quick stop by Elesset before we set down - she is cargo freighter from Kerzas. It'll help me fake my docs so nobody will know I visited Nemesis. That wouldn't look well for either of us, kakine?" He gives a throaty, hyena-like cackle before he continues, "Cams are off in cabin, too, so there's no video trail, and I bribe some of guards regularly so they pay no mind. Good for transporting drugs and similar ... not that you heard that from me!" He laughs again, and begins to regale the little party with several spicy tales of near-escapes and close calls he's experienced while smuggling for the criminal underworld.
  The whole trip feels fairly short, and it isn't long before they arrive.

~~~

  Total silence reigns in the cabin after the pilot finishes his plat request. It's a short while before anyone speaks. "Well, shit," Vynkor finally says. "I'm not paying more than a hundred myself." And with that, she begins looking around for a piece of string. The cabin erupts in chaos as everyone there tries to discern a method of hoodwinking the shuttle driver.
  Buck, for his part, starts initiating a hack on systems in the cabin. He is completely oblivious to everything else going on.
  Sukava, already planning to commandeer the vessel, asks loudly, "So, which of us can fly a shuttle?"
  Vynkor looks up. "I could probably rip out the radio," she offers helpfully. "He couldn't get a beacon out to authorities."
  "Hmm," Sukava mutters, thinking quickly. "If I stab him in the face, the controls probably won't get damaged."
  Gene doesn't entirely like the whole violence idea. Entirely, anyway. It's cool, pretty much, just as long as he's not involved. "Hey Brom," he says pointedly, "think you might, ah... persuade the pilot to give us a 'discount'? I don't exactly trust him, and blowing half my spending money here -" He doesn't get to finish; he is overridden by Brom, who begins boldly announcing his name, profession, and a full and complete résumé to boot. Nobody pays any attention.
  "Hey, Noodledude," Vynkor calls over the flamboyant assassin. She's almost shouting to be heard at this point. "You're a pirate, right?"
  "I'm a pirate, yes," Ishmael agrees, "but I'm not going to commandeer this tin can."
  Sukava turns on her electron sword, giving it a couple test slashes through the air. "Neck first, or perhaps the chest?" she muses loudly. "Maybe we start with the jaw and then move on to the hands?"
  The priest looks at this display in extreme disapproval as the volume in the cabin continues to climb. "We can probably get a more reasonable price without resorting to stabbing people in the face!"
  "Come on, Spaget," Vynk taunts the pastafarian with a slur, rhyming it with "maggot". "Not pirate enough? Not noodly enough to fit through the coin slot?" She tries dangling a chip through the slot, and pulling it back out; it doesn't work because it's caught somewhere further in. Reluctant to release the string (which she's made by pulling apart some of her medkit), she just sits there, holding onto it.
  Ishmael refuses to be baited by Vynkor's taunts. "Come now, mateys," he says, trying to be heard. "Let's not be unreasonable about this! 'Tis just not very noodly!"
  "Aha!" Buck interrupts triumphantly, slipping a single plat chip through the slot in question. "Don't worry, y'all, I got this!" he calls out loudly, talking well over everyone else. "Mr. Pilot, I'm in a good mood, gettin' off that piece o' crap scraphole. I just slipped you one thousand credits! The extra there is for you to keep your piehole shut. Do we have an understandin'?" The man gives a wry grin, and a wink at his shuttlemates.

  "WE DO NOT HAVE AN UNDERSTANDING, VRISH KRALAL MAL'KIIN!" the pilot curses over the intercomms, easily overpowering everyone. The cabin falls silent. "YOU KAP'SHIK FUKCING HUMANS ARE ALL THE SAME! I was promised SIX HUNDRED credits in exchange for taking you ashore, and even after offering you to make the trip for only half, ALL you've done since you entered my shuttle is plot to SHORTCHANGE AND/OR KILL ME! I could hear ALL of you, pen'dekos! Look at this - LOOK AT THIS!" A single plat chip flies back through slot, flicked by some rather spindly-looking alien fingers. "That is NOT a thousand plat, fakvish konon'ke tvila! Take your fukcing chips and get the hell off my shuttle!" Vynkor's string-bound plat piece follows Buck's back out the slot shortly after.
  The hatch at the back of the shuttle opens; the dark shadow of the ruined bridge beckons expectantly, making a sobering impact on the criminal minds present.
  The inmates look at each other.
  No one moves.
  "Get out!" the pilot orders again. "Off my shuttle! You can walk! I am not taking you! I risk my neck and business for you humans! Not anymore!" Another stack of plat shoots backwards through the slot and splinters into separate chips on the floor of the cabin; the plat that Brom put through the slot, paying for both himself and Gene. "I am honest man! I just asked for payment for dangerous trip!"
  Ishmael takes it upon himself to try to salvage the situation. "Esteemed pilot," he begins, in a thoroughly diplomatic tone. "We, of course, can pay your price, although I am not sure it is the one agreed on by our predecessors."
  "It absolutely was! I do not trust you! I see why your ship is quarantined now, vrish tvila!"
  "There's no guarantee you wouldn't want to make some easy money on the side by selling us out anyway," Ishmael points out. "In fact, there's absolutely no telling if you wouldn't just sell us right away and land us somewhere with a welcome party already waiting for us."
  There is a prolonged silence. Finally, the pilot speaks again; he seems much calmer. "Get off my shuttle," he threatens in a carefully-controlled voice, "right now. Or I will alert station."
  
~~~

  The REKT team, a group of four, waits patiently as the driver talks over his radio. He's kept them well entertained for the duration of the flight. "Ah, here we are!" the driver says; the inmates aboard hear a whirring of thrusters and a soft metallic clank as the shuttle sets down. "Downtown, right near Portside Tanker. It's right on your left! Can't possibly miss it!"
  The inmates thank the pilot and begin to disembark.
  "I am Shebnii Kervin, remember!" their driver calls out. "Send me a tell anytime, I'll take you where you want to go, no questions asked! Ekka viknae, friends!"

  And the group of four - Caleb, Saoirse, Frank, and Bob - steps out into the cacophony of Fuhodo Station. Rusty beams, dim and damaged lighting, and aged, flickering holo-ads are the architectural norm here, with wide streets and relatively low ceilings. Spray paint, grime, and exposed cabling adorn the once-pristine walls, plastered over in opportune locations with countless layers of plastic signage. The streets, littered with garbage and debris, seem scuffed and foul, but above this abysmal setting, the city teems with life. Stereos play loudly in front of shops, advertising the goods within to passersby; a little down the way, a hiltorel female plays some kind of instrument for a small crowd of onlookers; a band of rowdy alien teens of some unknown species jostle each other playfully as they exit a doorway on the right. Towards the main road, a group of officers wearing drab uniforms take down some kind of smaller alien and search its clothing; behind them, a sluglike merchant and his entourage make their way down the main highway without batting an eye at these proceedings, much too engrossed in his inspection of the shops. Another trader drives a low-wheeled vehicle in a wide arc around the group, metal canisters rattling in the back of his cart. Through all of this, swarms of individual aliens course through the halls, all with their own particular destinations in mind. They all have lives they lead, here at the station - or perhaps, more likely, they have another home entirely and are only here for a brief visit. The thought of finding work here, through all this activity, with all these people, is daunting - intimidating, even - but sometimes that's what makes a task worth undertaking in the first place.
  For better or for worse, the four inmates have arrived Downtown. Where they go next... is up to them.

~~~

  The REKT teams, two groups of three, stand in uncomfortable silence in the shadow of the bridge. Their shuttle, and pilot, are long-since gone.

  What will they do now?
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Online Now