Return to “REKT”

Re: REKT: BTE Mission 1: Nanyej Colony

Caleb wrote: "Yeah, if the colony is anything like the scavengers out here, they really like their AA guns. They'll shred your ships."
*alarmed*
"Where did they get AA guns from? Those weren't around the first time when we-"

*pales, then groans slightly panicking*
"Of course they have portable AA, dust be damned!"

"Brom, we really should plan with mobile AA-stations in mind!"
Apparently, sometimes stuff might happen.
- - - - - - - -

F4wk35 wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:59 am
Brom-Lucky-Alpha-Boss wrote: Putting aside my sizable fan club for a moment, I'd like to discuss plans.
I had thought that we'd be within range of Anabais's squad by now, but it seems now that they're further north than expected.
Before we reach our objective, I'd like to know what we're heading into, so I propose we fly around the government district and into the residential district to contact Anabais. After we get information on our objective and the surrounding area, we can double back and land. What do you all think of that?"
"I kinda don't like the notion of flying over the colony unless absolutely neccessary. Too many ways for them to set up a trap or something. I'd rather we fly around the complete colony or keep just above building level so they have less time to get their aim in order..."

And I just know that your 'fanclub' is more likely to take your head instead of your autograph...
F4wk35 wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:56 am
"Brom, we really should plan with mobile AA-stations in mind!"
"You mean something like this, Frank?
It will be a bit more difficult for them to move AA around in the colony, but I've considered the possibility.
These are obviously some of my more clever admirers, so you can't be too careful around them."
Breaker of fortune cookies

F4wk35 wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:12 pm
"Yes, brom. I'd rather avoid potential ambushes. If you agree, of course."
"As an assassin, avoiding ambushes is part of my job description. Of course I agree with you!

So it's settled then. We'll follow this path until we're able to contact Anabais.
Once we have the location of the base, we'll fly over and land. After which I will show you all why they call me the Jewel of Ermhelm!
Is this satisfactory, Mr. Foster? Do you have anything you'd like to add to the plan?"

((If that's all, then I'll be posting actions a bit later.))

'Eh'
'Bob did oopsie'
'Saoirse-Boss you ok?'

Figure out where I'm hurt
If I can exit my ship without suffocating:
- Take my gear (and Jimmy), exit the ship and move to the marked location (left from the casket near the outcropping) and take cover as close to the wall/slope/whatever as possible (to keep out of the line of sight of the squids)
- Periodically take a look to see if any squids are coming towards me, if that's the case shoot at them with my pistol.
- if an enemy comes into melee range, smash them with my crowbar. ((please limit the max amount of uses with my weapons to my strength))
Last edited by Cha0zz on Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LT Wiki | IRC | REKT Wiki
Idiots. Idiots everywhere. ~Dr. Cha0zz

"No more complaints, Brom. I'll see if I can find their comms or something."

Follow Brom along his plotted path.
Keep lower to the ground to keep possibly hidden AA a harder time to get me in their sights.
Once the colony is in range, search the frequencies for the a military channel the squids use and hack into them as means to listen in on their talks
If they talk a language that Frank doesn't understand
-look through the computer's programs for a translator
-run the listened-in comms through it
Keep an eye out for AA/Hostiles
If AA is spotted or Brom lands
-inform the squad
-reduce altitude and land near Brom
-If a hostile is close enough
--whack it with the remaining robotic arm
-Otherwise shoot at a available hostile with the MFM
After landing/shooting, grab my stuff, make sure the helmet is sealed and exit the CASKET
Get behind cover
load a tranqu bolt and shoot it at a hostile that's not currently being shot at

((Hammed away by pure, Keegan Ham))
Last edited by F4wk35 on Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
Apparently, sometimes stuff might happen.
- - - - - - - -

F4wk35 wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:53 am
"Excellent! Then we can begin. Alpha, if you've been listening you know the plan.
We'll follow the green line until we're within comm range of Anabais
Spoiler:      SHOW
Once we have radio contact, I will personally request details on our objective.
Being the squad leader and a celebrated hero, she will be more likely to cooperate if I do the talking.
After we have the location of our objective, we'll fly over and make our big entrance.
Obviously we may have to land early if we encounter AA, so be on your guard."

Fly along the specified path and listen for Anabais.

When I'm radio range, request information on the antigrav facility.
"I am Brom Keegan; leader of Alpha Squad. Yes, that's THE Brom Keegan!
We're in a bit of a hurry to complete our objective, so I lack the time required to use a more formal title.
You'll have to wait until you return to the Nemesis for that. I apologize for the inconvenience.

We're here to retrieve stellaplex from the Hiltorel colony, and we've been told to contact Sergeant Anabais
for the location of the facility containing it.
If you would be so kind as to share that information, we'll do our best to get us off this planet.

In addition to our request, I also have two messages to deliver.
First, SCAMPS expects the squids you're currently fighting to attack us when we move in for the stellaplex.
So you might want to think of a way to keep them off our tail for a short while.
Second, Cho says reinforcements will be delayed due to the Hiltorel's attempt to flank the Nemesis."

Wait until Anabais is finished talking and gives us our mission info, and say my goodbye.
"Thanks for the help, Ana! I'm sure you look forward to our next meeting! Rest assured that I do as well!"

"Alright! We have the info we came for; now it's time for that entrance we talked about.
We'll make a low approach towards the facility (lead by none other than myself of course), and land.
The squids aren't going to give us much time to act, so I want us out and running for cover as soon as we touch down."

Stop following the green line and fly to the antigrav facility, making use of the info Anabais gave us.

If I encounter AA weapons, I will land as soon as I can find a safe place to do so.
After landing, get out and find cover provided I'm not under attack.
((These conditionals exclude the actions following if their use becomes necessary.))

If I spot any threats on the way to the facility, inform my allies and fire upon the closest threat.

Once I arrive at the facility, get out my shield and pistol, and leave my ship to find cover in or near the objective building.

If I encounter enemies once away from my ship, fire three shots into one of the enemies.
If the targeted enemy goes down before those three shots are used, target the next one.

I fly with the pack (I hope there's a pack) along the path Brom described, keeping low (without incurring MAN rolls).
If I see a contact:
-I fire upon it and attempt evasion
After Brom makes contact with Anabais and breaks from the path, I follow the squad.
If I see a contact:
-I attempt evasion.
-If I have not previously seen a contact:
–I fire upon it.
I fire at most one time with the railgun.

Upon reaching the target:
-I find a covered place to land near the rest of the squad.
-If none exists:
–I land in the least exposed position.
-I put my helmet on and make sure of my infantry gear.
-I open the cockpit and toss the presorted electronic-related crap
((just the crap, Tal :ghost: )) out. But keep the heat sink; I might have a plan for that.
-If the LZ is anything but serene:
–I find cover that is preferably not my CASKET, and preferably near my squadmates, and go to it with due care.
-If there are contacts:
–I fire upon each enemy as per the following rules and in this order, using exactly three shots between the two guns:
—Unarmored infantry: Lasgun
—Short range: Assault rifle
—Light armor: Assault rifle
—Long range: Lasgun
–I then return to cover.
-If there are no contacts [remaining], and my squadmates aren't leaving:
–I compare the thermal tolerances of my lasgun and the melting temperature of the coldest welding metal in my repair pack.

TURN 9

Map:
Main map:

Alpha and the grav plant:

Beta and the nacelle:

Squad Alpha:
Everyone
As a group (except for Frank, who flies lower than everyone else), Squad Alpha continues flying to the north - until you begin hearing the chatter of Anabais and her crew over the comms. Mostly, they're talking tactics and teamwork. It's typical fighter comm chatter.

Brom speaks up, interrupting them. "I am Brom Keegan; leader of Alpha Squad. Yes, that's THE Brom Keegan! We're in a bit of a hurry to complete our objective, so I lack the time required to use a more formal title. You'll have to wait until you return for the Nemesis for that. I apologize for the inconvenience."

You hear a few mutterings over the comms of "What's this shit now", "The hell is this guy" and "What the hell is he on". Brom pays no heed and powers on. "We're here to retrieve stellaplex from the hiltorel colony, and we've been told to contact Sergeant Anabais for the location of the facility containing it. If you would be so kind as to share that information, we'll do our best to get us off this planet."

There's an awkward silence for a moment, punctuated by the soft crackle of comm static. Suddenly a female voice - sharp and high - breaks through. "OH, so it's YOU!" You hear a wild, cackling laugh. "Sorry, little boys, I had to kill another one of these squidy freaks! What the hell did you say your name was? Bram, was it? You sound like a total tool, you know that? I'd love to hear you scream!" She laughs again, unnervingly. "So what do you want? I'm not sharing any of my fun with you newbs, if that's what you're after." A few moments later, this is punctuated by a boisterous high-pitched laugh and a scream of what sounds like "I got another one!!!"

Brom, again, powers on in his superior tone. The rest of Alpha cringes, wondering why they let this guy do the talking (except for Frank, who misses the whole thing - he's got his head in his computer, failing at trying to hack the entire hiltorel colony). "First, SCAMPS expects the squids you're currently fighting to attack us when we move in for the stellaplex," Brom says, "so you might want to think of a way to a way to keep them off our tail for a short while. Second, Cho says reinforcements will be delayed due to the Hiltorel's attempt to flank the Nemesis."

The comms suddenly come alive with the sound of the the other REKT squad exclaiming incredulously. It's a jumbled mess, but from what you can hear, they're almost out of ammo and were very much counting on reinforcements. Suddenly, Anabais's voice cuts through the confusion, cold as ice. "Listen here, fucko," she hisses, "My squad has been fighting for the past six hours without any breaks except for an ammo change and repairs. We've been out here for almost an hour providing your distraction. We'll do what we damn well please, and I'm NOT sacrificing my squad for a few pieces of shit that think the world should revolve around them. REKT is a meat grinder, and you're fresh meat. It's time for you to step up, little boy, or you're going to get minced." After a pause, she laughs. "Oh, look! A few of our friends are breaking off and heading in your direction!" She cackles madly again. "I guess I'm going to share some of my fun with you after all!" Anabais continues laughing, until the comms finally cut.

Immediately after, your PDAs chime: they've been updated with the location of the Grav Plant. The five of you change course and head in that direction as fast as you can. "All right," Brom says, paying no heed whatsoever to Anabais's tone. "We have the info we came for. Now it's time for that entrance we talked about......"

Brom
Hema wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:29 am
F4wk35 wrote:
"Excellent! Then we can begin. Alpha, if you've been listening you know the plan.
We'll follow the green line until we're within comm range of Anabais
Once we have radio contact, I will personally request details on our objective.
Being the squad leader and a celebrated hero, she will be more likely to cooperate if I do the talking.
After we have the location of our objective, we'll fly over and make our big entrance.
Obviously we may have to land early if we encounter AA, so be on your guard."

Fly along the specified path and listen for Anabais.

When I'm radio range, request information on the antigrav facility.
"I am Brom Keegan; leader of Alpha Squad. Yes, that's THE Brom Keegan!
We're in a bit of a hurry to complete our objective, so I lack the time required to use a more formal title.
You'll have to wait until you return to the Nemesis for that. I apologize for the inconvenience.

We're here to retrieve stellaplex from the Hiltorel colony, and we've been told to contact Sergeant Anabais
for the location of the facility containing it.
If you would be so kind as to share that information, we'll do our best to get us off this planet.

In addition to our request, I also have two messages to deliver.
First, SCAMPS expects the squids you're currently fighting to attack us when we move in for the stellaplex.
So you might want to think of a way to keep them off our tail for a short while.
Second, Cho says reinforcements will be delayed due to the Hiltorel's attempt to flank the Nemesis."

Wait until Anabais is finished talking and gives us our mission info, and say my goodbye.
"Thanks for the help, Ana! I'm sure you look forward to our next meeting! Rest assured that I do as well!"

"Alright! We have the info we came for; now it's time for that entrance we talked about.
We'll make a low approach towards the facility (lead by none other than myself of course), and land.
The squids aren't going to give us much time to act, so I want us out and running for cover as soon as we touch down."

Stop following the green line and fly to the antigrav facility, making use of the info Anabais gave us.

If I encounter AA weapons, I will land as soon as I can find a safe place to do so.
After landing, get out and find cover provided I'm not under attack.
((These conditionals exclude the actions following if their use becomes necessary.))

If I spot any threats on the way to the facility, inform my allies and fire upon the closest threat.

Once I arrive at the facility, get out my shield and pistol, and leave my ship to find cover in or near the objective building.

If I encounter enemies once away from my ship, fire three shots into one of the enemies.
If the targeted enemy goes down before those three shots are used, target the next one.
The facility isn't heavily guarded at all - just surrounded by a fairly large number of hiltorel milling through the dusty city streets. The whole place seems to have been thrown together in a hurry at some point recently. You land your ship next to the grav building (on top of an enemy), get out, and immediately begin firing on squids as you get into cover, managing to kill one of them - at which point you realize they're unarmed and probably civilians. Screaming, the others nearby panic and run for their lives, while you get into cover. There are a small number of guards defending the facility, and they rush into position in the inner courtyard, firing a few misaimed shots in your direction. There's a shout from behind you; apparently, the one you landed on, while smushed, is still alive.

Buck
Hapchazzard wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:16 am
Keep following my squad
Keep my eyes peeled for anything interesting
if an enemy fighter is encountered
-Fry it with the MFM
if an enemy turret is encountered
-Fry it with the MFM, unless I've already used it once
-Try and land somewhere safe from it
Use the MFM max once
You fly along with the rest of the squad, but don't land when the rest of them do. Instead, you sit and observe from above as your squad slaughters a handful of civilians on the ground and gets into position.

Frank
F4wk35 wrote:

Follow Brom along his plotted path.
Keep lower to the ground to keep possibly hidden AA a harder time to get me in their sights.
Once the colony is in range, search the frequencies for the a military channel the squids use and hack into them as means to listen in on their talks
If they talk a language that Frank doesn't understand
-look through the computer's programs for a translator
-run the listened-in comms through it
Keep an eye out for AA/Hostiles
If AA is spotted or Brom lands
-inform the squad
-reduce altitude and land near Brom
-If a hostile is close enough
--whack it with the remaining robotic arm
-Otherwise shoot at a available hostile with the MFM
After landing/shooting, grab my stuff, make sure the helmet is sealed and exit the CASKET
Get behind cover
load a tranqu bolt and shoot it at a hostile that's not currently being shot at

((Hammed away by pure, Keegan Ham))
You're terrified of AA, but these fears turn out to be completely unfounded. There is no AA fire coming in your direction for one reason or another - it might have something to do with the fact that most of the colony looks relatively small and recently-assembled from cookie-cutter housing kits. Regardless, you land your CASKET near Brom after he lands, get out with your stuff, and get behind cover, hurriedly loading a tranquilizer bolt into your crossbow and firing it at an enemy. Not only do you manage to succeed, but you then realize that the enemy is fleeing, unarmed, and most likely a civilian. This is followed up with the realization that SCAMPS will probably not be pleased if you capture a simple civilian. That can't possibly get you any intel, and will only lead to bad press - not that SCAMPS cares, but you know... karma and all that.

It doesn't matter, though. Brom executes your target with pistol fire soon after. He has got to stop doing that.

Vynkor
0111narwhalz wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:00 am
I fly with the pack (I hope there's a pack) along the path Brom described, keeping low (without incurring MAN rolls).
If I see a contact:
-I fire upon it and attempt evasion
After Brom makes contact with Anabais and breaks from the path, I follow the squad.
If I see a contact:
-I attempt evasion.
-If I have not previously seen a contact:
–I fire upon it.
I fire at most one time with the railgun.

Upon reaching the target:
-I find a covered place to land near the rest of the squad.
-If none exists:
–I land in the least exposed position.
-I put my helmet on and make sure of my infantry gear.
-I open the cockpit and toss the presorted electronic-related crap
((just the crap, Tal :ghost: )) out. But keep the heat sink; I might have a plan for that.
-If the LZ is anything but serene:
–I find cover that is preferably not my CASKET, and preferably near my squadmates, and go to it with due care.
-If there are contacts:
–I fire upon each enemy as per the following rules and in this order, using exactly three shots between the two guns:
—Unarmored infantry: Lasgun
—Short range: Assault rifle
—Light armor: Assault rifle
—Long range: Lasgun
–I then return to cover.
-If there are no contacts [remaining], and my squadmates aren't leaving:
–I compare the thermal tolerances of my lasgun and the melting temperature of the coldest welding metal in my repair pack.
The facility isn't heavily guarded at all - just surrounded by a fairly large number of hiltorel milling through the dusty city streets. The majority of the colony seems to have been very, very recently... "assembled", for lack of a better word. Most of it looks like cookie cutter cut-and-paste parts, and is in a style that looks quite temporary. Your estimation is sometime within the past six months to a year.

After cleverly parking your CASKET in the shade of a nearby building (there's no way anyone will see through your super secret stealth tactics), you get out and take cover behind the nearest Grav Plant wall - and then start mowing down target. Unarmored, short range? That's assault rifle work. You pull out your assault rifle and begin mowing down civilians, right before realizing they're actually... well, just civilians. They probably didn't expect you guys to be here. There are, however, a small handful of lightly-armored hiltorel guards in the courtyard of the Grav Plant - and they look like your real targets.

You wish there was more cover. This could get tricky.

Miles
Detritus wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:04 am
Follow Brom.

If Brom fires at any enemies,
- fire once at nearest enemy.

If Brom lands,
- gently and carefully alight beside him. <3
You carefully land next to Brom, and watch in star-struck awe as he jumps out and begins mowing down civilians. What a hero.

Squad Beta:
Saoirse
Dinosawer wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:38 am
cuisinart8 wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:14 pm
"Yeah, not my best moment.
If you could toss up a dust screen to shield me from the guys to the west before I make my move, I'd appreciate it."
"Will do!"
First, to give Caleb some time to get his stuff and get out his ship, I try to stasis enemy 8.
Then, when Caleb is ready to make his move, I use my grav amp to target a thin but long area of the ground with a strong upwards field, to throw up a sheet of dust into a cloud as cover.
(( like this
))
Next, I use my grav amp to launch the boxes máthair shúigh 4 is sitting behind into his face... thingy.
Finally, I use my electro amp to first overload and then stop all current in the coil of the plasma chamber of the plasma gun of one of the Hiltorel that's using one.
To give Caleb a little time to climb out of his ship, you turn towards one of the enemies on the far side of the riverbank and, extending your hand, will a stasis field around them. It's a struggle - they seem to resist it somehow - but in the end you get them captured quite firmly. ...which is when, to your surprise, the squid simply disappears - reappearing a few dozen meters to the right. They quickly dash to cover afterwards and begin shooting at you, but you don't have time to return fire - you need to provide a screen of concealment for Caleb.

As Caleb dashes out from behind cover, you switch to your grav amp and raise a thick curtain of dust and dirt up in front of him, completely concealing him from enemy fire - which is fortunate. He seems to be the most popular target - lasers trace paths through your dust cloud, and plasma round streak through, but Caleb manages to get to cover alive. Whether he's unharmed remains to be seen, but from where you're standing, it looks like he at least has a cut on his left arm.

After ducking behind cover again to avoid another volley of plasma, you do a grav throw on a number of metallic crates across the way, trying to fling them at enemy #4, but the hiltorel manages to get out of the way, dashing to another piece of cover as the heavy box tumbles pass harmlessly. You throw another, but that one misses too - and you're only narrowly missed by another plasma shot from enemy #8 - the guy you tried to stasis. How the hell did he even get out of that? You switch to your electric amp and try to fry him, but it does no good: your amp doesn't seem to be able to manipulate electricity small-scale on that distance. Instead you just send a bolt of lightning toward him with a loud crack - but it merely burns his cover.

You look back around the battlefield. Bob is hiding, Lemons is at the top of the nacelle and taking aim for a shot, Gearhead is cowering uselessly, and Caleb is getting pulled around and pelted by some kind of gravity vortex. So much for your dust shield - hopefully their PSI tech has a cooldown period - which it probably does. It's almost certainly a lot cheaper and less reliable than Tartarus's tech.

Unfortunately, there's a lot more of them than there are of you.

The ground seems to shift beneath you, tilting at an extreme angle, and you find yourself falling, sliding out of cover - pulled out of cover - straight toward the edge of the cliff. It's only a short drop of a few meters, but you'd rather stay somewhere safe than out in the open where you could get shot. You dig your fingers into a crack in the rock, holding firm until the gravity field abates. A number of shots flit past - you anticipate them and duck, swerve, dodging nimbly out of the way. A quick glance reveals that your squad is indeed in deep shit: Lemons has disappeared, Caleb is wounded, and Bob isn't moving.

Caleb
cuisinart8 wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:26 pm
I groan, shaking my head to clear it. I fukcing hate, hate, hate this mission! There's no way in hell I'm flying this bucket of bolts anywhere now. I pound the dark instrument panel once in frustration before remembering I'm in a very bad position right now...and there's a whole lot of enemies to fight. First, I should probably let the squad know I'm not dead.

"Ugh...This is Caleb, I'm alright, just a bit banged up. My CASKET's not going anywhere, though."

Knowing what I have to do next, I steel myself and take a deep breath. This is not going to be fun.

I put on my helmet, grab my weapons, and get out of the CASKET on the right side so that I'm in cover. I then make a break for the rock to my north, after Saoirse puts up the dustscreen, and use it as cover. Once there, I attempt to stun enemy 7 with my electrorifle, firing a maximum of four times.

Alright, all that before was just the appetizer...time to get to work.
You HATE this mission, but you know what you have to do next. This is not going to be fun.

Putting on your helmet, you grab your weapons and climb out of the right side of your CASKET. As you do, a laser shot slices into your left upper arm, searing the flesh through the suit. You wince at the pain, but grit your teeth and keep moving until you're behind the cover of your ship. Saoirse plans to throw up some dust as concealment for you, and you're going to hurry and move as fast as you can.

So you wait. This is a bad idea.

A barrage of plasma narrowly misses the top of your head. The front of the CASKET only provides partial cover - you're going to have to move. "Don't fail me on this one, Saoirse," you mutter, and dash forwards into the open, heading for the standing pillar of rock ahead of you and praying she'll get the wall up in time - which she does. As soon as you step out, a huge wall of dust, dirt and sand erupts from the ground ahead of you like a fountain, swirling into a thick, opaque cloud. You dash forwards; lasers trace paths through the dust, giving you a light burn on the left side of your stomach. As you run, you fire your electrorifle blindly in the direction you think the shots are coming from, hoping for a stun, and then throw yourself with a roll into cover as a few plasma shots hit the ground behind you.

Of course they'd focus you. That's exactly how this day is going. You check your arm (deeper than you'd like, but not critical or impairing), and your stomach (a bit of a burn, but you're okay). No severe damage. You'll make it. Probably. At least they were just lasers, or they might've blown out some nasty chunks.

As you're not doing the waiting thing anymore, you look out, trying to sight an enemy through the dust wall, and fire a couple more shots with your electrorifle - which miss terribly. On trying to fire another time, you're shocked to find that your rifle not only won't fire, but you're actually out of charge. While you're standing there pondering your preposterously bad luck, you (without warning) fall over - but not because of your own bad electrorifle skills, and more because the squids have gotten tired of using shooty guns and want to use some of their cheap stellaplex-based psionic tech against you. In layman's terms: they make a gravity field that pulls you out of cover.

You fight hard to stay behind the shielding wall of dust, and manage - but only barely. More shots stream toward you, all missing - but then the gravity shifts again and suddenly you're flying up - straight up, and into the air. With nothing to hold onto, you flail for a moment before you land in a clumsy heap back on the ground. You check yourself; still okay! No broken bones.

There's a lull in the combat for a moment. The dust cloud, no longer maintained by saoirse, swirls and begins to very slowly disperse. In the distance, you hear a girlish shout and a loud thud, but have no idea what it could be. This event is rapidly wiped from your mind when debris from your own ship begins flying at you. Horrified, you struggle to get out of the way, but take a hard hit to the leg and get knocked off your feet as you scramble to get back behind cover.

A few seconds later, the barrage has stopped, and you're in the clear - for now. This is not how you envisioned things going.

Lemons
Triggerhappy wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:19 pm
Look at the wall of metal before me, and realize that I can not scale it.
Envision myself blasting though the hull with my rocket launcher and walking in through the smoking breach, killing enemies.
Sigh.

Tactics.

Get back into my casket, and fly it up to the top of the nacelle, landing on the flat top, slightly closer to the north edge than the south.
Get out once again, with all my stuff.
Walk the distance to the damaged edge of the nacelle, over the enemies I spotted flying by, crawling the last few meters to avoid detection.
With my Gauss rifle in hand, get just close enough to the edge, preferably next to some vertical cover too, to get a clear shot at the... are those AA guns? Yes, yes they are. Make sure I can shoot at the AA gunners.
Take aim at gunner number two.

I am the sky god...
Fire on enemy gunner number two.
If at any point the AA turrets start to turn on me, crawl back into safety, far enough to stand up and move away from the now dangerous ridge.
Fire on enemy gunner five.
Fire on enemy gunner six.
If any of the AA gunners survive, target and fire a shot at a one of them. If not, target and shoot any surviving enemy that is armed with the largest looking gun, or at least one that is easiest to hit.
Crawl back out of sight, far enough to stand up.
Reload, and look around. Check for any hatches on top of the nacelle.

"Lemons to squad. The AA guns are pointing at me. Probably. Gunners exposed. Try sniping them down."
You look at the wall of the nacelle, stretching up far, far above you - as tall as a ten-story building, at least - and realize that there's no way you'll climb it. Even scorched and pockmarked by the scars of battle, and the uneven melting from atmospheric entry, there aren't enough handholds.

For a moment you have a vision of yourself blasting through the hull, absolutely wrecking everything that stands in your path, slaughtering enemies left and right. One - a massive, hulking behemoth, tries to stab you from behind with a plasmalance, but you grab it and stop it short, your mechsuit's alloyed gloves protecting your hands from its burns. The alien looks surprised that you have the strength to match his, and then terrified as you wrench the weapon from his grasp, slicing him through with a backhand stroke as you mow down another row of enemies with the chaingun mounted to your right arm. The plasmalance flies through the face of another enemy with an expert throw, and you grab another squid and crush his head into a wall with the palm of your hand as you stomp past. With every step, the hull rocks and rattles - with every step, enemies flee before you - with every step, you cut them down. In this world, you are god, and none can stand before you.

But the vision ends, and you're regular old Lemons again, staring up at the top of the nacelle. You sigh. "Tactics," you mutter, the word leaving an unpleasant taste in your mouth. Would that you could be the avatar of destruction you've always dreamed to be, but it is simply not to be. "Yet," you remind yourself as you climb back into your CASKET with your gear. "Someday... that will be me."

Your CASKET takes off shakily, drawing slowly into the sky. It seems one of your gear were shot off, and the resulting tip crushed another one of your maneuvering thrusters. You can still fly, if you're careful - the thruster still has some push to it, just not much.

It isn't long before you're crash-landing on top of the nacelle with a loud shriek of metal-on-metal. You wince, hoping the squids down below didn't hear, and gather your equipment again, embarking on the battle-torn top surface of the nacelle. With an exosuited arm, you draw out your gauss rifle, and check to make sure it's loaded as you walk to the torn edge of the nacelle. Before you reach the edge, you lower yourself down to a crawling stance, remembering as you do so that your exosuit doesn't work if you aren't standing up. That's all right, though. The height advantage and element of surprise - not to mention flanking - should be more than enough to make sure every single one of your shots hit their mark.

Stealthily as a rabid walrus, you crawl to the very edge, where you can get a good look on the battle below. Caleb seems to be having some trouble, you see - he's getting beaten up by the squids pretty bad. Bob's not doing much better - his ship is downed. The only people that seem to be holding their own are Gearhead and Saoirse, and Gearhead only just barely.

Time for you to save the day.

You carefully steady your Gauss rifle, getting ready for the perfect headshot on the one farthest to your right - and pull the trigger. With a huge BAM, the slug, propelled by the rails to an incredible velocity, follows its trajectory straight and true through the thin atmosphere, and punches a hole in the head of one of the unsuspecting hiltorel. It dies instantly, crumpling to the ground in a pool of baby-blue blood.

This is where your plan begins to go a little wrong. For starters, that first shot just alerted all the enemies nearby to your position - and they all turn toward your position. You immediately take aim and fire at the next target, right in front of you.

Your weapon clicks. You have no ammo.

In an instant, memories flash before your eyes montage-style - sitting in the cryo VR as you're supposed to be choosing your weapons, and totally ignoring all the things that the computer AI tells you about them, except how big of a "boom" they make - and somehow, in the midst of all that, you missed a single important line: "The immense power, accuracy, and portability of the Tartarus Inc. Gauss rifle is offset by the fact that it can only hold a single round at a time."

You reach behind you, struggling to find another round in your pack, and find a box of them strapped to your leg. Plasma fire streams up past the ledge - not only have they spotted you, but they're trying to kill you now. Hastily, you load the new high-caliber round into your weapon and get ready to fire - but then something completely unexpected happens:

Gravity shifts.

Suddenly, you find yourself sliding toward the edge, as though someone just tilted the world on its side. You drop your Gauss rifle as you desperately scramble to find a handhold, slowing down your fall as your rifle and mop drop off the edge. For a lingering moment, you catch yourself on the edge with just your fingertips, staring down the 34-meter drop below you - but it's not enough.

Your fingers slip. As you exit the gravity field that one of the squids had created, gravity returns to normal: straight down toward the rocky planet below.

As the ground rushes up to meet you, it finally sinks in: you're not invincible. A pang of regret crosses your mind: you'll never get to build that mechsuit you wanted.

The cruel forces of gravity and inertia splatter you across the sandy Nanyejian dirt.

((I know this may be unexpected for you, and it was unexpected for me too. When you said you'd get out of the way of the AA guns, I thought you had a good chance of survival. Thing is, I was misremembering whether the AA guns would target you in the first place.

I write out actions for the next turn before each turn gets posted, and the wording for the hiltorel was "If there is a ship above, aim the AA guns and fire." You're not a ship, so they never turned their AA guns toward you. Next... while I honestly didn't anticipate you landing on top of the nacelle, one of the hiltorel had the action "Use a PSI pull the nearest enemy out of cover". At the top of the nacelle, you just happened to be the nearest enemy, and you were using the top of the nacelle for cover. I did a roll to see if they succeeded, and they did. I did a further agility roll to see if you caught yourself, and you rolled a 2, +1 bonus from your maneuverability stat. 3 is still a fail.

Had you not fallen, and nobody had shot you, you would've landed three of your four shots, missing the second (which you would've gone back to and killed on your fourth shot). You still managed to kill the one that fired a grenade launcher at Bob, at least.

Your murderer was #7, the rogue hiltorel commander.))

Bob
Cha0zz wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:52 am
'Eh'
'Bob did oopsie'
'Saoirse-Boss you ok?'

Figure out where I'm hurt
If I can exit my ship without suffocating:
- Take my gear (and Jimmy), exit the ship and move to the marked location (left from the casket near the outcropping) and take cover as close to the wall/slope/whatever as possible (to keep out of the line of sight of the squids)
- Periodically take a look to see if any squids are coming towards me, if that's the case shoot at them with my pistol.
- if an enemy comes into melee range, smash them with my crowbar. ((please limit the max amount of uses with my weapons to my strength))
Bob did an oopsie.

You try to clear your head and get your bearings. You're sitting in a ditch carved out at the base of what seems to be an old riverbed - possibly the bed of a former pond or something, or the start of a deeper river? It's unclear, and your head isn't in the right shape for figuring it out. Whatever it is, there are sloped walls all around you, and you're not feeling that great.

You check yourself out. You're bleeding on your right side, on the back - it looks like something exploded behind your seat: sharp, jagged bits of metal poke outwards toward you, and a few have loged themselves in your flesh. Carefully, you extricate yourself from the situation (or in Bob words, you get the hell away from the sharp poky things before they poke you more), and decide that your suit can probably still handle filtering oxygen. It's not going to be comfy, but you can make it work.

At least, until you discover the cockpit canopy is jammed shut. Jimmy, in his infinite wisdom, realizes that this has the potential to be a problem for Bob - or would, if Bob didn't have the retard strength of ten men. Bob goes full chimpanzee on the canopy and manages to wrench it from its busted hinges, forcing it open. With that done, you grab the most important things with you - Jimmy, first and foremostly, and then as an afterthought, things that can actually physically protect you - and make a mad sprint for cover.

As you run, you see something small and dark falling towards you from the sky, and throw yourself out of the way - the grenade hits the ground and explodes behind you, leaving a charred crater and a flame that very quickly snuffs itself out. Picking yourself up, you continue running, and soon make it to your destination.

Nobody is really paying you any attention. Mostly, they're focused on Caleb - probably because they think he poses the most danger to them. For a moment, they focus on Lemons, and you see Lemons fall from the top of the nacelle, probably the equivalent of ten to twelve floors. You'd hope he's okay, but you and he haven't been on the best of terms lately.

Gearhead
Cornflakes_91 wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:58 pm
use grav amp to throw #7 off
fry #8's face with microwave amp
You lift a hand and target one of the nearest enemies - specifically, the one showing up as #7 on your PDA, who appears to be wearing some kind of chest and face armor. You try to throw them off the ledge, but they see you move and get out of the way before you can make it happen. Then you target another enemy - one that Saoirse just trapped within a stasis field - and try to fry them with your microwave amp. Just as you get started, though, they disappear - and reappear far to the right, where they make a dash for cover.

That felt pretty useless.

You hunker down behind cover and manage to avoid taking any fire, although your teammates - especially Caleb and Lemons - aren't so lucky. While Caleb is out of view, you can hear him over the comms and he doesn't seem to be having a good time. Lemons, on the other hand, manages to fall off the nacelle to his death. Quite the anticlimactic end, you think, and not a death he would've been very happy with.
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Online Now