Return to “REKT”

Post

Re: REKT: BTE Mission 1: Nanyej Colony

#557
TURN 16

Map:
Spoiler:      SHOW
Image

Image


Squad Alpha:
Frank
Spoiler:      SHOW
F4wk35 wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:04 am
Hapchazzard wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:26 pm
"Hey! Y'all leave m'partner Frank the frak alone, this ain't none o' his fault - it's them troublemakin' squids, I tell y'all! They want us to fight each other, those are them cowardly tactics their ilk use! Now, anyone here has a problem with Frank -"

Dramatically unsheathes his plasma baton

"- has a goddamn problem with me!"
*sarcastic thinking*

Oh great! Last thing I needed was misguided infighting! I enjoy this sooo much!

Grumble and curse under my breath.
Try to restart the computer
If it does restart
-Run a diagnostics check
Try to reactivate the thrusters and engines
If working
-Fly over to a clear point nearby and land there again
If my CASKET won't budge
-Curse my luck
-Get out and do repairs to enable flying and maneuvering again
-Cannibalize Miles' CASKET if neccessary
-If doing so
--Upon seeing the condition he and his ship are in, start muttering about him being lucky to be rid of those other maniacs already

If at any point armed, hostile enemies appear
-Duck behind something nearby
-Go aggro and yell at them to leave me alone, this day has been shit enough already
-Shoot an explosive bolt at them if they refuse to leave
Why does everyone have to pick on you? It's not your fault you didn't know that the microwave field manipulator didn't work the way you thought it did! That's just some bad thing that happened "just because" - it had nothing to do with you. Sure, you could've maybe hovered over some section of empty space, or something like that, but come on!

You grumble, cursing under your breath as you try, and fail, to restart your computer. It begins to start up, but then shuts back off. You could probably figure out how to fix that, if you had a little more time, but right now, it's more important that you get moved. You try starting up the rest of the ship, minus the computer, and - fortunately - this actually works. The engines spool up and begin humming softly, and, with a few solid bursts of your thrusters (the remaining ones, of course), you're able to lift off the ground and fly toward an empty patch of ground. You then set down, nice and slow... and then your ship abruptly tilts slightly to the side with a fairly anxiety-inducing sound coming from the landing gear.


Straightening in the cockpit, you look around. At least there's no enemies approaching.



Vynkor
Spoiler:      SHOW
0111narwhalz wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:26 pm
Throughout the turn, I keep an eye out for hostiles.
If I see any:
-I interrupt the action I'm performing and move to cover.
-I notify my squad as before.
-If the hostile(s) is/are infantry, I distribute three bursts from the assault rifle between the closest ones.
-I reload my assault rifle if I've fired from it.

I haul the repairpack to the crash site.
I start a diagnostic in my own CASKET.
((if the computer's fried, ascertaining this counts too :ghost: ))
If Frank can't get his CASKET off of Gene's:
-I help him with that, swearing under my breath the whole time.
-Cancel later repair actions.
I look over Gene's CASKET and get an idea of the damages.
I work on it and try to get it airworthy, salvaging from Miles' CASKET if necessary.
After yelling a fair deal at Frank for his rampant stupidity, and listening to some amusingly vacant threats from Buck, you decide to get to work, and haul your repair kit over to your ship. Frank takes off in the meantime, fortunately without causing too much further harm. You then stop when you get to your ship, leave your repair kit where it is, and climb inside.

It's still running, so that's a relief. The cockpit seems to be completely undamaged. You peck at the screens and button panels a little, trying to start up a diagnostic scan, but soon come to the startling realization (or, rather, an uncomfortable and sudden remembering)... you suck with computers. After navigating through multiple menus, the best you can figure out how to do? You can change the console background. You change it to a cat.

These changes are lost as soon as you exit out of the menu. You fight back tears... or frustration, more likely. Fine, if your computer wants it that way? So be it! You don't even care! You climb back out of your CASKET and head over to Gene's ship to give it a thorough examination.

~~~

Gene's ship is a wreck and a half. The front half is partially crushed, especially in the areas involving the hacking gear and comms. It looks like one of Frank's landing gear set down squarely on top of that. Even worse than that: his cockpit is torn all to pieces. The transparent alloy canopy is broken and shattered - and in many places, crushed deep into the metal plating surrounding the cockpit (and control panels within). Goddammit, Frank, why??? The thrusters at the front of his ship are trashed up pretty bad, too.

This is going to take a lot of work if you're going to get it back to peak condition. The best you can manage is probably just getting it airworthy again.

And so you start a long and arduous quest to repair Gene's ship. Every step of the way, you find you unerringly want to wring Frank's scrawny little janitor neck. Preferably through a mangler. That sounds nice. You like that idea.

~~~

After some extensive work, you manage to make it so Gene can at least enter the cockpit, and fix up one of the upper thrusters so he can at least point downwards again, should he want to. The controls? Well, they're shit now. The hacking systems would probably take a lot more work, and the comms are also shot. He might be leaking coolant, but it's difficult to tell because the chassis has been crushed so low to the ground. The important thing, though, is that it'll fly. That's all that really matters here.


Standing up from your work, you look around. At least there's no enemies approaching.



Brom, Buck, Gene
Spoiler:      SHOW
Hapchazzard wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:26 pm
F4wk35 wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:54 am
0111narwhalz wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:26 pm
"Ah, then yes, one of your fans did just sabotage my ship. While I was keeping an eye out and fixing your railgun, Frank decided to fukcing electrocute himself somehow and probably fried half the electronics in my ship, and then proceeded to land on my robot arm. Nice job, Frank! I was hoping we'd gotten rid of an idiot when we scammed Bob, but it looks like we picked up another sack of shit with a cryogenic IQ instead. At least the only person taking hits for Lemons' idiocy was Lemons. Frank, if you get shot… it's all duct tape. Only reason you'll get anything is 'cause you gave me that coag."
TotallyNotHuman wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:26 am
"Well that's just fukcing peachy. Frank, if I ever get your hands on you while you're injured, so help me I will fukcing drown you in isopropyl alcohol. The only reason I'd do that is if Vynka can't get to you, so you better start praying for her duct tape."
*Exasperated, nearly yelling*

"Fine! So it's friggin duct tape and drowning in alcohol for me! Oh jolly! Can't friggin wait for that! I know, let's invite the squids too! Perhaps they friggin blow themselves into fried squid rings or something! And as I am obviously incapable of destroying the right things, I'll just stay out here and fix the mess I made myself! Because that's a way better idea than trying to do something else useful that might even involve me putting my hands on something pointy and dangerous again! Just friggin come and screw my head off already!"


((It's raining squadmates! Halleluja! Gosh, so shame atm ._.))
Annoyed at what seems like Gene and Vynkor bullying Frank:

"Hey! Y'all leave m'partner Frank the frak alone, this ain't none o' his fault - it's them troublemakin' squids, I tell y'all! They want us to fight each other, those are them cowardly tactics their ilk use! Now, anyone here has a problem with Frank -"

Dramatically unsheathes his plasma baton

"- has a goddamn problem with me!"
Hema wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:22 pm
Buck, you may finally have the chance to use your grav gun, as we've got a decent sized corridor here with what sounds like a couple of angry squids towards the end of it. Should be a good opportunity to let loose."
"Um, I just took this here baton out but... Yeah, whatever. *sigh* It's always Buck who has to rescue the damn day!"

((One of you should take out the turret at the end of the hall before I come to fire the gravgun, preferably))

Take my gravgun out
Wait for everyone in my squad to get in a safe spot
if I am able to position myself at a position from which I can safely fire the gravgun through the corridor without coming under fire
-Shoot the gravgun through the corridor
-Get back in cover
Hema wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:22 pm
Spoiler:      SHOW
Image
“I'll go in and handle the revealed turret. If there are turrets on the right wall the I'll need Gene to move in to assist. Can't teach your anything if I do everything myself after all.
Once the turret is down, we'll move behind Buck so as to be out of the way when he fires.
Buck, I'll let you know when we're ready.”

Frank and Vynka, you two already know what you're supposed to do. Just get it done quickly and meet up with us as soon as possible. You wouldn't want to miss the opportunity to see me in action.”

Move along the plotted path (shield up) until within view of the red turret.
If I find there's a turret to my right inform Gene:
“As I expected, we've got a trap to the east. Take it out for me will ya, Gene?”

As soon as I have a clear shot, fire at most two shots (with my pistol) at the circled turret (one if it goes down on the first shot)
After firing, move back along the wall until I'm behind Buck and get into cover (behind Buck)
Begin reloading my pistol, and inform Buck when he has a clear shot.
“Coast is clear now, Buck. Fire away. You can't mess with Brom Keegan and his crew and get away with it! Now they'll get what they've got coming to them.”

After the grav projectile as had time to move through the corridor, move back along the the path I used before and continue on into the plant.
At the first sign of danger, get into cover, and hook in with my tether.
If I have a clear shot at the at the threat, fire at it twice with my pistol.
TotallyNotHuman wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:21 pm
Draw and ready my shotgun.
If Brom gives the order to take out the turret:
Respond "I got this, boss,"
then fire no more than two shotgun shells at the turret (fire only once if it goes down on the first shot),
and reload my shotgun.
As soon as Brom tells Buck to fire his grav-gun:
Draw my machine pistol and take cover behind Buck.
If at any time hostiles begin attacking Buck, Brom, or myself:
Fire once at the nearest hostile with my machine pistol,
Retreat behind cover,
then reload all my weapons.
Learning that Frank absolutely trashed three ships in one go riles up a lot of tempers - particularly those of Vynkor and Gene, whose ships he managed to land on (fortunately breaking his fall!). Buck isn't standing for it, though, and yells at them to leave Frank the fukc alone. It wasn't his fault anyway, he says - it was the squids! Of course it was the squids. "Anyone here who has a problem with Frank, has a goddamn problem with me!" Buck dramatically unsheathes his plasma baton.

It shuts Gene up straightaway, but as for Vynkor, she can't see it, and carries on for a little while, but eventually everyone calms down and sets about their tasks. Buck switches back to his gravity gun, Brom begins to creep ahead with his pistol, and Gene stands at the ready with his shotgun.

The path curves ahead of them: Brom sees what looks like a bridge over a little stream - a stream that continues over to his right, finally running down a short waterfall into the pond he passed along the way, which is ringed with a waist-height wall of smoothed stones. It looks "too perfect" - he gets the feeling that these may not be "real" rocks. The mossy field beyond most certainly is not fake, though, and the vertical boulders sitting in it look significantly heavy - some over eight or nine feet tall. Beyond the bridge, it's hard to tell, but it looks like more computer equipment behind even more foliage.

As Brom advances, the turret above the computer equipment along the left wall turns and fires a laser at him. It hits the shield, and then runs a searching pattern as it tries to find some method of actually hurting him, but the transparent, polarized shield much too good a deterrent against such weak lasers. Brom leans out just enough to fire his pistol at the turret - once, and twice - and the second shot punches a clean hole just offcenter, thoroughly obliterating it. The turret sparks and tries to reorient itself, but with its most important systems down, it can't do a thing anymore.

The trio hears another roar, and a series of rapid chattering, echoing from deeper in the complex.

"Coast is clear now, Buck," Brom says, as he returns. "Fire away! You can't mess with Brom Keegan and his crew and get away with it! Now they'll get what they've got coming to them."

Buck gives a solid nod and hoists his gravgun up on his shoulder. It's an odd-looking weapon - it has several projecting prongs, and part of the front looks almost like a hemispherical dish, with a hole behind it almost like a gun barrel. Behind that, a mess of wiring and protrusions make it look less like a normal weapon and more like some kind of prototypical device designed by a mad scientist - or a group of them. Maybe it even was.

As he pulls the trigger, the device beeps, and a deep, powerful whirring starts as something spins up inside the gun, causing it to vibrate and heat up until it's almost hot to the touch; the whir increases rapidly to a whine, and then a shriek - and with a short, sharp burst of recoil, a powerful projectile glides away from the front of the gun at a surprisingly slow speed - only slightly slower than a sprint. The air warps ever so slightly around it; loose paving tiles from the path drift upwards and enter a rapidly swirling vortex around a tiny black sphere, as well as dust and dirt, chunks of moss, tree leaves, twigs and more. A coil of water spools out of the nearby pond as it passes, entering the whirlpool of debris and winding tightly about its center. The steam in the air simply "shrinks" toward the center, and as it nears the end of its range, even the huge boulders nearby shift ever so slightly...

...and then it hits a boulder at the end of the path, right near the bridge - with a powerful blast and shockwave, all the collected detritus gets flung in all directions, clattering and clanging - a large portion even hits the roof of the building.


The three inmates look on in satisfied awe. Not bad. Buck grins and hoists the weapon over his shoulder. Ain't nothing going to survive that one for sure.

...except things that weren't caught in the blast, of course.

At that moment, a series of hiltorel shouts ring out, followed by more grunting, screeching, and multiple angry roars. The trio spots movement down at the end of the path, well beyond the trees - and then several greenish shapes leap up and being crawling toward them along the ceiling at an alarming rate. One of them drops down - and spreading wide, scaly wings, begins gliding toward the inmates - roughly the size of a medium-large dog.

It roars. Sharp teeth glisten in its wide, reptilian mouth, beneath its wrinkled face and chameleon-like eyes.


Brom and Gene waste no time in laying into it with bullets - Brom manages to put a bullet through its chest, and Gene sprays it with a powerful fusillade from his SMP, riddling it with bullets. Its wings buckle and collapse; it tumbles to the ground and lies still in a bloody heap. But it's not the last one. Three - no, four - four more of these creatures scamper along the walls and ceiling, chirping and croaking with the occasional roar. The one on the floor is still moving; it seems that Brom and Gene didn't actually manage to kill it, but only downed it with a lucky shot. As Gene loads another magazine into his machine pistol, Brom takes aim and puts a second and final shot through it with a powerful CRACK of his pistol, and it lies still... as two more follow along behind. One leaps from the ceiling and glides onto a nearby tree, causing it to droop under its weight; it spits and growls, and then lets out an ear-shattering roar, hardly three meters from the group. It'll be on them in moments.


One thing has become immeasurably clear to the trio at this point: They're fukced, and quite royally so.




Squad Beta:
Gearhead
Spoiler:      SHOW
Cornflakes_91 wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:51 pm
get my stuff into/onto my ship
take off and retrieve the hooks from Ishmael's ship
attach Ishmael's and my hooks to appropriate locations using PSI gear controls
retrieve Caleb's hooks as well and attach them to the nacelle as well
land near Lemon's wreck, get out of my ship and walk in to the others

"What are you children doing in here anyway..? I just saw Bob run out in panic but got nothing what would indicate a fight."

(after spotting g-man)
"oh, some pro-xeno traitor with some basic internal rebreather gear. back in my days we shot those on sight, seems like those decades in the freezer carried me across humanity getting soft"

if hostilities break out at any point while im on foot, microwave fry faces up to three times
if hostilities break out while im in my ship, fire my forceps laser
You take all your gear and head back to your ship, packing it all back up: your repair kit back in the aux slot, the rest of your stuff back in the cockpit. Then, you climb in, and take off, heading first to Ishmael's ship, where he parked near Saoirse.

Hovering near Ishmael's ship, and picking up his hooks, isn't that difficult at all. You soon emerge, flying back to the Nemesis's nacelle with it. Saoirse already managed to hook one up, so attaching one yourself shouldn't be too difficult, you figure. You give it a go.

The first clamp doesn't work at all. You find a good, solid, sturdy place to attach it, but even trying to help control your robotic arms with PSI, you're unable to properly manipulate the hooks; the bar scrapes against the side of the nacelle a little too hard, gets caught, and as you try to pull it back away, comes loose and tumbles to the ground beneath you. After backing up and tilting slightly to get a better view, you see it still seems undamaged; you'll be able to try again later. For now, you still have one more of Ishmael's, and two more clamped to your own ship.

Rushing as you are, you find it's a little bit difficult to make sure that they attach properly. Your second attempt seems to have partially failed at the least (only one side properly seals), and you drop the third one. The fourth manages to hook on firmly: you press it against the ship, and it sticks with the electromagnetism; then when you press the button, it welds itself firmly to the side of the structure.

Then you fly down to try to get Caleb's. The prisoner is still sitting tight (ha) in the cockpit. You accidentally damage Caleb's ship (and terrify Aloka), peeling off part of his hull as you try to get one of the hooks (not that it matters, his ship is trash anyway) and then fly to the other side and grab the other one. Then... it's back to the nacelle.

The first one falls, just as you might have expected. It was stuck to part of Caleb's ship anyway. The last one of the six actually manages to weld itself on, though, giving you a 33% success rate. One of them is definitely not going to work again (the failed weld) and the other three are on the ground below you.


Where the hell are your allies, anyway? Weren't they supposed to be helping with this sort of thing? You saw Bob come running wildly out of the nacelle, but nobody asked for combat assistance over the comms. In fact, the comms have been strangely quiet. You decide to land near Lemons' wreck of a CASKET, and do so. Then, you climb out of your ship and walk toward the ramp that the aliens set up for entering (and looting) the nacelle.


Inside the nacelle
Spoiler:      SHOW
outlander wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:34 pm
Shiver me timbers and damn me the depths! I don't like this guy. He seems...unnatural. Non-human. Mechanical. There's no Lord's light in him at all.

Take two small steps forward.

"I am afraid you are having us at a disadvantage. Apparently, you seem to know us, but I don't think we know you."
outlander wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:06 am
Talvieno wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:49 am
He glances at you, very briefly. "You do not," he affirms simply.
Wouldn't you want to do something to remedy such deplorable situation?

Go sit on the radiation box near the Southern wall of the nacelle.
Watch my surroundings carefully.
IF an enemy attacks,
Float him with some zero-gee from my Gravity Amp,
Electrocute him,
Slam him down to the ground with maximum g-force I can get out of the amp.
IF the enemy closes down on me,
Use the lash to strangle him.
cuisinart8 wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:37 pm
I step into the nacelle to be greeted by a bizarre sight- a man standing in the open air without a helmet! Something just looks...off about him. I find myself instantly creeped out.

I cautiously advance towards the rest of the squad, lowering my weapon. No need to provoke an adverse response- though something tells me the electrorifle would do little more than annoy him.

"We've been 'open with each other?' You've been listening in on our comms? What do you want? And what the hell do you mean we were here to help the squids? They hate us!"


My unease grows the more I think about this. Some random...thing, because no human could breathe this atmosphere for long, that can simply tap into our comms, and seemed to know a lot about what was going on.
cuisinart8 wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:30 pm
If an enemy attacks the squad, I run to cover and fire my electrorifle at them a maximum of three times.
Dinosawer wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:02 am
Talvieno wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:57 am
"I said there was no reason to leave, if you remember," he speaks. His voice echoes through the chamber. Saoirse surmises that he is addressing her, specifically. His eyes trace to Jimmy, and then back. "The toy is found."
"Ah, but that's where you're wrong - sometimes searching for something is more important than actually finding it."
I carefully take Spoon out, holding it in a non-threatening way, but ready to deflect any attacks.
While I let my friends and Ishmael do the talking, I try to figure out what the bauble is mystery man is toying with, and closely observe him and our surroundings.


(( continued here ))
Dinosawer wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:01 am
(( continued from here ))

"Well, I don't think you're gonna get much explanation without answering these questions: what exactly do you want to know? Why you want to know it. And who are you anyway? "
if he fails to give an actually informative answer to all of these, I say "Okay, suit yourself.", pointedly sit down on a nearbye non radioactive crate and pointedly start playing Gus Jordan's/The Glen Road to Carrick/The Road to Edenderry on my bagpipes, while pointedly looking him in the eyes.

If we would get in some kind of danger, switch to Spoon, get into cover or flee (whatever seems more logical) and attack any enemies with the electro amp (up to four times)
Cha0zz wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:11 pm
Wander off to look what where the hissing sound is coming from
Hold Jimmy tightly

Smack everything that seems like a threat with my crowbar (this doesn't only mean enemies, Bob is still somewhat shaken from earlier so he'll identify stuff as a threat sooner) ((no more attacks than maximal allowed by my strength))
Cornflakes_91 wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:51 pm
get my stuff into/onto my ship
take off and retrieve the hooks from Ishmael's ship
attach Ishmael's and my hooks to appropriate locations using PSI gear controls
retrieve Caleb's hooks as well and attach them to the nacelle as well
land near Lemon's wreck, get out of my ship and walk in to the others

"What are you children doing in here anyway..? I just saw Bob run out in panic but got nothing what would indicate a fight."

(after spotting g-man)
"oh, some pro-xeno traitor with some basic internal rebreather gear. back in my days we shot those on sight, seems like those decades in the freezer carried me across humanity getting soft"

if hostilities break out at any point while im on foot, microwave fry faces up to three times
if hostilities break out while im in my ship, fire my forceps laser
The group of four stand facing the first large, open chamber, wherein the mystery figure currently resides. The mood is tense. Saoirse takes out Spoon, her trusty battlestaff, and holds it at the ready. Caleb, holding his electrorifle, cautiously advances toward the rest of the group, and Ishmael is poised and ready to strike if the man should attack. For now, however, he takes two steps forward, and addresses him. "I am afraid you are having us at a disadvantage," the plump priest begins. "Apparently, you seem to know us, but I don't think we know you."

He glances at Ishmael, very briefly. "You do not," he states simply, and turns his attention back to the others.

Caleb speaks next, having reached the rest of the group. "We've been 'open with each other', you said? You're listening in on our comms? What do you want? And what the hell do you mean we were here to help the squids? They hate us!"

Musing over Caleb's outburst, the solitary figure replies, "They didn't tell you... curious. ...But perhaps there is another explanation." He pauses for a moment, as though calculating. The soft clicking noise continues in the silence. When he finally speaks: "And, yes, I can 'hear' your radio communications system. It unfortunately does not provide the same information depth as a physical presence. I found passive observation of your group to be insufficient, and thus, you are here. However... this alone continues to fail to properly explain the anomalies." He puts a slight emphasis on this last sentence. More than one of those present feel a brief chill run upon their spine, but it soon fades.

Saoirse steps forward, crossing her arms in front of her. The floor panels creak slightly beneath her tread.

"It would be unwise to approach further," the man says softly, almost as a warning. He gestures lightly with a fingertip, as though drawing an invisible line between the two radioactive crates nearest the chamber's entrance.

Saoirse says nothing to this; she's too busy trying to figure out the purpose of the bauble sitting on the crates. Unfortunately, she's never seen anything like it before; it doesn't look remotely familiar. When she finally acknowledges her failure, she folds her arms and states plainly, "Well, I don't think you're gonna get much explanation without answering these questions: what exactly do you want to know, why do you want to know it, and who are you?"

There's no response. His fingertips idle across the little trinket, and then move to clasp behind his back. The clicking whisper slowly stills.

The silence feels awkward to the inmates. Caleb shifts the electrorifle in his hands. Bob looks about, becoming interested in the hissing sound he heard. Ishmael tries, and fails, to climb up atop the large radioactive box just to the right of the chamber's entrance: it's simply too high, being over his head.

Saoirse, meanwhile, shrugs. "Suit yourself," she says to the mysterious figure, and then pointedly takes out her bagpipes. She has a song in mind: The Glen Road to Carrick, a fairly upbeat tune.

She doesn't get a chance to play it.

"Saoirse, New Dublin," he states quietly. "Last name, Fri'leth." He turns idly, slowly, his eyes passing with disinterest over Bob (who is now creeping towards the hissing sound) and coming to rest on Caleb. Caleb shifts his electrorifle slightly closer to a firing position, just in case the figure becomes hostile. His target ignores this and muses, seemingly to himself, but pointedly loud enough to be heard: "Caleb... mannerisms and muted accent could indicate Dashta, but are outdated by almost half a century... most curious. Now, let us see..." He reaches for the bauble and begins to toy with it idly in his hands.

A massive crash echoes from the floor above, the ceiling rattling violently as some unnamed object clatters and clangs to a stop directly above the heads of the inmates. Everyone present collectively jumps, with some going for their weapons - with the sole exception of the mysterious newcomer, who observes them calmly. "Slight headache present in all specimens, and paired with other symptoms..." He pauses, examining the inmates with a slight tilt of the head. "Early cryostasis," he says softly. "And well ahead of schedule. One anomaly explained by yet another... how curious indeed." He then turns toward the entrance, and waits.

Gearhead enters only moments later. "What are you children doing in here...?" he asks, wiping his gloves off on his spacesuit. "I just saw Bob run out in a panic, but got nothing what would indicate a fight." At that, he spots the mysterious figure in the middle of the larger room. "Oh, some pro-xeno traitor with some basic internal rebreather gear. Back in my days, we shot those on sight; seems like those decades in the freezer carried me across humanity getting soft."

There is no response. Instead, the silhouette turns his head toward Bob, who has crept beyond the invisible line he set forth earlier.

~~~

Bob, creeping forward, is looking at a little jumbled pile of crates on the rightmost side of the room. Something, somewhere, is making a hissing sound, and he wants to know what it is. Oblivious to everyone and everything around him, he starts trying to move the crates to find the source - which seems like it may be a crate itself. As such, he starts heaving them out of the pile and tossing them into a bigger, larger pile beside him; it builds an unstable, teetering stack. Some of them are quite heavy - and he isn't stacking by weight. Bob comes no closer to finding the source of the hissing, which seems to be all the way against the wall - when one of the crates on the bottom of his stack crumples under the weight of those above it, sending the entire pile toppling over, back onto the original pile.

The sharp, angry hissing instantly turns into a sharper, angrier explosion as something splinters into heavy fragments like shrapnel, crushing through Bob's faceplate and nearly blinding him as he trips over backwards, shouting as he falls into the room. He is still not fully aware that his faceplate is cracked open, only that his face feels like it's burning.

The hissing has subsided, but the outer wall of the structure groans.

~~~

The figure turns away from Bob writhing on the floor, seemingly disinterested. He sets the little item down once more on the crate, and glances at Saoirse. "I did say it would be unwise to approach," he says impassively. "The dullard did not listen." After saying this, he simply watches them.
Have a question? Send me a PM! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image
Image
Image
Post

Re: REKT: BTE Mission 1: Nanyej Colony

#559
Hapchazzard wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:40 am
Shout: "WHAT THE FUKC ARE THEM SCARY GREEN THINGS!? Only a damn squid could have something like that as a pet! WHAT THE HELL ARE Y'ALL WAITIN' FOR!? SHOOT IT! SHOOT IT!"
"They're ugly, that's what they are. Clearly they weren't expecting guests or they would have cleaned them up a bit.
We're going to make a tactical retreat to get outside the airshield. Guns up, Gene, we'll shoot as we go. We'll focus fire on the closest one until it goes down.
Frank, Vynka, that's enough fiddling around with our buckets of indiscriminate death! I want you two to meet us outside the airshield; we've got company.
Buck, how soon can you fire your grav gun?"
Image
Breaker of fortune cookies
Post

Re: REKT: BTE Mission 1: Nanyej Colony

#561
Hema wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:46 am
Hapchazzard wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:40 am
Shout: "WHAT THE FUKC ARE THEM SCARY GREEN THINGS!? Only a damn squid could have something like that as a pet! WHAT THE HELL ARE Y'ALL WAITIN' FOR!? SHOOT IT! SHOOT IT!"
"They're ugly, that's what they are. Clearly they weren't expecting guests or they would have cleaned them up a bit.
We're going to make a tactical retreat to get outside the airshield. Guns up, Gene, we'll shoot as we go. We'll focus fire on the closest one until it goes down.
Frank, Vynka, that's enough fiddling around with our buckets of indiscriminate death! I want you two to meet us outside the airshield; we've got company.
Buck, how soon can you fire your grav gun?"
"I TOLD Y'ALL WE SHOULD'A JUST HAVE NUKED THIS DAMN PLACE!"
Buck bolts for the door and doesn't respond to your question


Quickly sheathe (or whatever the term is) my gravgun
if I am unable to do so quickly
-Just put it down on the floor (try not to break it)
Unsheathe my baton
Run as fast as I can towards the exit door, occasionally turning my head to see if a scary green thing is attacking me
if at any point a scary green thing comes too close
-Swat the scary green thing with the baton (do not repeat this action more times than I am allowed without getting a penalty)
Exit the building
Last edited by Hapchazzard on Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image
Post

Re: REKT: BTE Mission 1: Nanyej Colony

#562
*Strongly contemplating just sneaking off and kneeling down in front of the first squid out of teammates sight*

This whole 'mission' is one single pile-up of horrible mistakes, idiocy and general frak-ups! I should've bailed out on first thing after finding out how my 'teammates' are set up mentally! Hell, I might have been able to just get away...though probably stuffed into just another prison...or offed right away...not my preferred outcome...and now my chances to get away bodily intact are even worse...
Hapchazzard wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:40 am
Shout: "WHAT THE FUKC ARE THEM SCARY GREEN THINGS!? Only a damn squid could have something like that as a pet! WHAT THE HELL ARE Y'ALL WAITIN' FOR!? SHOOT IT! SHOOT IT!"
*Annoyed, slightly condescending*

And isn't that our resident I-can-easily-roar-everything-into-submission? Come on, let us hear that magnificent yell again!
Hema wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:46 am
"They're ugly, that's what they are. Clearly they weren't expecting guests or they would have cleaned them up a bit.
We're going to make a tactical retreat to get outside the airshield. Guns up, Gene, we'll shoot as we go. We'll focus fire on the closest one until it goes down.
Frank, Vynka, that's enough fiddling around with our buckets of indiscriminate death! I want you two to meet us outside the airshield; we've got company.
Buck, how soon can you fire your grav gun?"
What happened now again...? End of the world? Flying, lasershooting slugs? Brom's horde of maniacal fa-...*mental shudder* don't think about that...


*grumbling*

"Great! Now and if you'd graciously tell us what we're supposed to expect..."
Apparently, sometimes stuff might happen.
Post

Re: REKT: BTE Mission 1: Nanyej Colony

#563
F4wk35 wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:58 am
Spoiler:      SHOW
Hema wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:46 am
"They're ugly, that's what they are. Clearly they weren't expecting guests or they would have cleaned them up a bit.
We're going to make a tactical retreat to get outside the airshield. Guns up, Gene, we'll shoot as we go. We'll focus fire on the closest one until it goes down.
Frank, Vynka, that's enough fiddling around with our buckets of indiscriminate death! I want you two to meet us outside the airshield; we've got company.
Buck, how soon can you fire your grav gun?"
"Great! Now and if you'd graciously tell us what we're supposed to expect..."

"Giant winged lizards, and ugly ones at that! We've got a total of four of them on our hands at the moment.
They squids obviously selected these creatures because they themselves wouldn't be able to resist my charm.

With no suggestions, it is time for final orders.
Frank and Vynka, you know the drill, just get here as soon as possible. If you have the chance to shoot one of the creatures without endangering yourselves, then by all means, take it.
Buck, if you need time to charge your gun, then there's no need for you to stick around and fight.

((Detailed orders for Gene in case TNH isn't able to post. He should not fire more than three times in total on this turn, and he should be moving to leave the building at all times.))
Gene, you and I will fend off hostiles as we exit the building. Use your machine pistol and target the nearest enemy. If we're able to take it out quickly, Then I want you to try and take out the next closest. Don't overdo it, and above all keep moving towards the exit. If by some miracle we've managed to eliminate two enemies without expending more than a couple shots each, then you're to target a third (unless we've by that point we've left the building.)"

Begin moving towards the exit with the intent of leaving the building.
As I move, keep my shield up and attempt to take out the nearest hostile with my pistol.
If it goes down before I've fired a total of 4 shots, attempt to kill the next closest creature.
Repeat this for the third closest if the second goes down before I've fired 4 shots.
If I pass through the airshield before firing four shots, reload my pistol and examine any injuries I might have sustained while fighting, and look for controls that might be around the entrance.
Image
Breaker of fortune cookies
Post

Re: REKT: BTE Mission 1: Nanyej Colony

#564
F4wk35 wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:58 am
This whole 'mission' is one single pile-up of horrible mistakes, idiocy and general frak-ups!
((Don't you mean Frank-ups? :ghost: ))
Hema wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:46 am
Frank, Vynka, that's enough fiddling around with our buckets of indiscriminate death! I want you two to meet us outside the airshield; we've got company.
"Oh, that's great. Winged lizards. You figure they can breath out here?"
Post

Re: REKT: BTE Mission 1: Nanyej Colony

#565
0111narwhalz wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:51 am
Hema wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:46 am
Frank, Vynka, that's enough fiddling around with our buckets of indiscriminate death! I want you two to meet us outside the airshield; we've got company.
"Oh, that's great. Winged lizards. You figure they can breath out here?"
"We're just going to hope they can't. They're not wearing helmets, so that's a good sign."
Image
Breaker of fortune cookies
Post

Re: REKT: BTE Mission 1: Nanyej Colony

#567
0111narwhalz wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:51 am
((Don't you mean Frank-ups? :ghost: ))
((You have to thank the forums-software for this one :ghost: ))
Hema wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:35 pm
"We're just going to hope they can't. They're not wearing helmets, so that's a good sign."
And even if they can't breathe out here, they'd distract us enough for someone coming out of the other entrance...and in case they can breathe out here...I'd regret not flying away right now...which would result in me being shot down by the squids, shot down by squads from the Nemesis for bailing, shot down by the others in case they don't die horribly or some other horrible end for me...I doubt this day has reached its pinnacle of bad luck yet...
Apparently, sometimes stuff might happen.
Post

Re: REKT: BTE Mission 1: Nanyej Colony

#568
I grab a roll of duct tape from the repair kit and check my equipment.
Assault rifle, loaded. Lasgun, cool. First aid kit, obviated by duct tape, but present anyway.
I move toward the east entrance and cover to the port side of Brom's CASKET, looking at the airshield.
I draw my assault rifle and aim it.
If my allies are clear of my line of fire and the foes are visible before me:
-I fire a maximum of three times with the assault rifle upon the closest enemy.
If there is nothing rushing me and I have fired the rifle:
-I reload my assault rifle.
Post

Re: REKT: BTE Mission 1: Nanyej Colony

#569
"In case they can't breathe the local atmosphere...wouldn't it be a good idea to disable the airshield?"

Take my stuff and get out of the CASKET.
Take cover behind it.
Load a sharp bolt into the crossbow and take aim on the right exit where my teammates are going to emerge.
Shoot the first armed hostile or beastly abomination ((Not-Boarbear)) with said sharp bolt.
Relocate to cover behind the center CASKET and reload another sharp bolt.
Check behind us in case the Squid try to backstab us.
Shoot the next armed hostile or beastly abomination with the second sharp bolt (regardless of wether they emerge through the left or the right entrance)
If enemies appear behind us
-Warn the team and get into cover.
Apparently, sometimes stuff might happen.
Post

Re: REKT: BTE Mission 1: Nanyej Colony

#570
"C'mon Bob, stay out of trouble for 5 minutes, will ya?"
I put away my bagpipes and check out what's wrong with Bob. Noticing his cracked faceplate, I quickly take the Hiltorel airshield belt out of my backpack (the one with the broken grav part), clasp it around his waist and turn it on.
I also take the meds from Caleb, and administer them to Bob if it seems like they would help, otherwise I give them back. (( didn't Bob get anti pain and coagulants already a bit ago? Shouldn't those still work? ))
If the airshield works, I carefully take of his helm if I can do so without hurting him.
Then I check what got on his face - if it's splinters or something I ask Gearhead to take care of him, me having two right hands and all that.
If it's some kind of biting fluid or dust or something, I ask Bob to close his mouth and eyes and rinse it off as much as possible with some water from my drink bottle.
Then I give him his helm back.
After all that, I take out Spoon again and observe weird dood.
Last edited by Dinosawer on Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Warning: do not ask about physics unless you really want to know about physics.
The LT IRC / Alternate link || The REKT Wiki || PUDDING
Image

Online Now

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 2 guests

cron