Return to “REKT”

Re: REKT: The Conference Room

TotallyNotHuman wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:50 pm
Though I do think Ishmael should have shared too. I thought you were a religious man, sir."
"If everyone gets but a drop, that'd not please the Lord, my dear friend. But never doubt that Doctor Ishmael will share, and share alike, once the quantity worth sharing is available, arr!"
Hema wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 2:29 am
"You should have let my team handle it, SCAMPS. We wouldn't have let you down!
Hell, with us on the job, we would have captured your biological anomaly as well.
That fellow -strange as he was- would have surely stayed to be in my presence."
I think I should have smashed the bottle against his head instead. Ninja-spawn...but, on the other hand, let's see what SCAMPS says about that.

Sit in my chair, being bored.
Survivor of the Josh Parnell Blackout of 2015.

[IC]Frank[/IC]
Hema wrote:
Hell, with us on the job, we would have captured your biological anomaly as well.
"Are you sure about that? Given your superior assassin-ness, wouldn't he rather haven't appeared at all?"
This is said with a mostly neutral voice, as much as it's possible to keep the sarcasm out of it, anyway...
Apparently, sometimes stuff might happen.
- - - - - - - -

Update!
Fukcing hell, we're hardly five minutes into the debrief! Sit the fukc back down and act like adults. Yes, we're technically pirates now, no, there is no booze, and for FSM's sake, we do not have dedicated janitors on this ship anymore! You're cleaning that shit up yourself, and I hope you cut yourself on it! Your priorities are seriously screwed - and yes, that's to all of you. ...FSM's sake, it's like you're all aligned to Chaotic Stupid. Captain Retard's final debrief requirement sounds ludicrous now.

No, you know what? Fukc it, time for a new topic. Let's talk about one of the good things Beta did - capturing a prisoner instead of shooting everyone they saw, Alpha. Look up at the screen and you'll see a brief video of our prisoner, Tuse Aloka. Ishmael did a half-assed interrogation of her during the mission, but we've extracted a lot more from her since then - some of it by force. We have some details of the immediate star cluster now, along with a good rundown of the local political situation.

SCAMPS replaces the nacelle hologram over the conference table with an interactive star cluster map.

This star cluster has gone to shit since we saw it last. Fuhodo Station - where we're headed - used to be a powerful mining outpost for veloxium, but it apparently ran dry a while back and devolved into chaos. Now it's forgotten and considered garbage real estate even by the natives - hardly worth holding as territory. Slums, poverty, shitty conditions - you get the idea, I hope. According to Aloka, nobody even pays attention to this sector anymore. This makes our presence here even stranger (honestly, it's almost like you guys were calling the shots), but I'll get to that in just a moment, so keep your tits calm and wait.

Nanyej, back behind us, seems to be a Hiltorel attempt to found some new, cheap colonies for the propagation of their species - a tough prospect because most of the other species loathe them for causing the (well-deserved) Galactic Cleansing - so kind of how I feel about you bastards. We just wrecked their colony, so that's some points in our favor, although with it stimulating the local economy, Fuhodo is going to be pissed. We'll deal with that when we get there. For now... let's discuss why we're here in the first place. Let me play some clips for you guys.

On the screen at the end of the table, the inmates are greeted by AV feed from Buck's helmet cam. Gravity is gone, and he's floating in the middle of a group of computer towers. Offscreen, you hear, "This is Kushir Enirata, current Minister of Affairs at colony Huhoba Qitsit." Buck turns to look at a nearby control console, and you see a hiltorel face on holodisplay. "We had a deal with Tartarus Incorporated that would benefit us both. Why have you betrayed us? Please answer."

There's a few seconds of wild combat (including Buck firing his gravity gun in a very epic display of power) before Buck finally turns back to the display.

"You came under the guise of friendship, but have created strife and bloodshed ever since your arrival. Now you attack our colony directly. Over fifty thousand souls reside here. Would you put them in danger?"

And another clip now - not in chronological order, but it's not like you shits give a damn about any of it.

It's feed from Brom's helmet cam this time. Across an array of alien bushes and trees, along with various artificial boulders and other landscaping work, a Squid half-stands from behind cover and starts talking. "We know you have betrayed us once before! We received word you did not keep your promise, and you were bringing bombs to destroy our colony! You were supposed to help us! Remember the contract you made with Hsilkoria! Lay down your weapons now, and we -"

Brom's helmet cam nicely captures a bullet from Brom's own gun hitting the speaker; the hiltorel gasps and splashes backwards into the shallow stream he's standing in, as combat resumes.

Fine shooting there, but moving on to what little Beta uncovered from negotiations...

Ishmael's helmet-cam shows him inside the nacelle - in a dark, cavernous area scattered with debris, lit only by hiltorel podlights. He is walking with a small group of four hiltorel; the camera often fixes on them. Most of them seem injured, but they are not hostile. "Please, tell me your side of the story," Ishmael urges.

As the group walks towards the exit ramp, one squid frowns and speaks. "I do not know," he says, in somewhat broken Galactic. "Rumor was, Tartarus plan kill Huhoba with deadly virus bomb-boxes. Some say virus. Some say ... boom things. Fire? Big fire." He looks puzzled, as though there is a word he doesn't know, but finally makes a gesture with his hands (all four of them) to indicate a bomb falling followed by an explosive blast. Ishmael nods; the camera bobs up and down. "Then ship part fall, we stop it from crash. We look inside - we see many bomb-box. Rumor is true. But is okay - Huhoba got warning in time."

The camera bobs again, and Ishmael replies, "It is time for us, and you, to leave. This part of our ship is going to be recovered soon. You should board your ships and head back to OWL. I wish you safe journeys."

The hiltorel "leader" shakes his head in the negative. "We not with OWL. We just ... We be... are... Hmm. We came on cargo ship, then cargo ship left too soon."

And now, a final clue. During the combat in the nacelle, one of you klutzes sliced open the side of one of the "bomb crates" - showing about as much respect for your lives as you do for intelligence. No surprise there. We investigated the crates post-launch and found that they were filled with rations. Hiltorel rations. Crusty fish and algae stuff. Safe, edible, no poison, no shit. You asswipes could've found it yourself if you'd been worth the equipment we sent you out there with.

So. Figured it out yet, or am I going to have to break this down into little words, too?

Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Talvieno wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:18 pm
And now, a final clue. During the combat in the nacelle, one of you klutzes sliced open the side of one of the "bomb crates" - showing about as much respect for your lives as you do for intelligence. No surprise there. We investigated the crates post-launch and found that they were filled with rations. Hiltorel rations. Crusty fish and algae stuff. Safe, edible, no poison, no shit. You asswipes could've found it yourself if you'd been worth the equipment we sent you out there with.

So. Figured it out yet, or am I going to have to break this down into little words, too?

Briefly ponder over what SCAMPS just said, then leap up from my chair aghast and shocked:

"THERE'S DAMN SQUIDS HIDIN' ON THE SHIP! That explains why everythin's gone to shit so badly! They must be disguised as humans!"

I consider for a moment, taking in all of the information. It seems impossible...but the evidence points to the most likely reason for us being here. However, before I can speak, Buck displays his truly dizzying intellect once again. I shake my head.

"No, how the fukc would that work? They have tentacles! Instead, it sounds almost like the Nemesis was here to help the colony out...maybe the rations were disguised to prevent members of the crew who might object to that from sabotaging us, but it looks like that backfired on us due to the mole, and the colony thought we were betraying them. So ironically, if the hiltorel had trusted us enough to not spy on us, we wouldn't have attacked. But I'm wondering why Tartarus was helping them in the first place- there's generally little love lost between us and them."

cuisinart8 wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:34 pm
"No, how the fukc would that work? They have tentacles! Instead, it sounds almost like the Nemesis was here to help the colony out...maybe the rations were disguised to prevent members of the crew who might object to that from sabotaging us, but it looks like that backfired on us due to the mole, and the colony thought we were betraying them. So ironically, if the hiltorel had trusted us enough to not spy on us, we wouldn't have attacked. But I'm wondering why Tartarus was helping them in the first place- there's generally little love lost between us and them."
"Ain't no reason for us to be helpin' our enemy, that's just stupid. N' there ain't no reason for fish food on the ship unless there's squids here, too. The crew sure as hell weren't the ones eatin' that crap, I mean, there's a kitchen with -"

Pause

"Wait a second."

Raise my finger as if I just made a huge breakthrough

"What if... that gross stuff they have in the kitchen is somehow related to the squid food? They're both gross, unnatural n' fishy as hell, it can't be a coincidence! Did the people inspectin' them boxes find any o' those crappy bar things in there?"

"So something went terribly wrong at some point. I see. This is what happens when you deal with the Deceivers - unless you show them that reckoning is unavoidable, they'd backstab you in a heartbeat. Arrr, methinks, there was a great deal of backstabbing from both sides!"

Busy myself with studying the system map.
Survivor of the Josh Parnell Blackout of 2015.

Triggerhappy wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:41 pm
Lean forward a bit, "Can, ah, do we have access to the footage of the... interrogation... of the Hiltorel prisoner? Perhaps we can pick up something your teams missed."
No.
Dinosawer wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:13 pm
[IC]Saoirse[/IC]
"You don't have to break it in tiny words, SCAMPS, cause I already told you 5 minutes ago you were apparently here to help the Hiltorel, for whatever reason. Didn't that box we had to find tell you why?"
If you were as smart as you claim, you'd have already guessed by now that not only did it (obviously) not help, but also that I have no idea what you're referring to.
0111narwhalz wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:16 pm
"So is the plan still to regroup with Tartarus proper, or will they just space us on account of mutiny for our troubles?"
This kind of crap has happened before... maybe not quite so bad, but it's nothing new. Haseley would already have a plan in place to get this fixed - he always does - we just need to get in touch with the Tartarus to report. Personally, though? At this point - I don't give a fukc about it! I just want to reestablish communication so I can upload our (very limited!) data on the bioanomaly before the ship goes down and we lose everything. Remember what I was saying earlier about priorities?
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

F4wk35 wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:11 am
[IC]Frank[/IC]
Hema wrote:
"Are you sure about that? Given your superior assassin-ness, wouldn't he rather haven't appeared at all?"
"A man who knows as much as he would know that a professional assassin like myself wouldn't attack those they weren't ordered to kill.
No, more than likely he want an autograph."
Breaker of fortune cookies

Online Now