Return to “REKT”

Re: REKT: The Conference Room

[IC]Saoirse[/IC]
I turn back to my PDA and start jotting notes, talking out loud while doing so.
"Alright, so 8 out of 10 people seem to agree with this here...
A batch of cheap food for 35 hi-plat, a batch of good food for 45;
Then, fix warp power with flawed Veloxium for 44;
fix the revitatech and main weapons with Standard Construction Materials for each, two times 74;
Get some basic sensors working with cheap construction materials for 33;
Which leaves us with 9 hi-plat and an urgent need to find something that pays us.

Not entirely unanimous, but given that it doesn't actually matter what we think, good enough for you, SCAMPS?"
Warning: do not ask about physics unless you really want to know about physics.
The LT IRC / Alternate link || The REKT Wiki || PUDDING

[IC]Frank[/IC]

*Listening to Saoirse's explanation regarding power*

"If it won't produce an even worse shortage, I'm fine with it..."

I still think that rebuilding the main-guns first is a bad move when the ship is in a horrible shape already...but there's enough gun-nuts in this room that a contrary opinion would lead to just more eternal discussions...
Apparently, sometimes stuff might happen.
- - - - - - - -

((Update time - last one! And then it's back to the Nemesis thread.))
Repeating what you seem to have: Engines repaired to warp 3 capability, revitatech fixed, primary weapon repairs, and sensor repairs. Purchases of flawed veloxium, two batches of standard construction material, cheap construction material, and a month each of good and cheap food. That's 305 hi-plat total. No objections?

There's a pause, during which time nobody objects. ((No one has complained about the setup for two days now.))

The pause lengthens as SCAMPS seems to ponder the results.

Well... saying it's unexpected would be a massive understatement, but... Hmm, but chances of that are less than a thousandth of a percent... Maybe there was something to what Captain Maluk was thinking after all?

...Nah, that's ridiculous.

Congratulations for picking the winning numbers in the data set, but let me be perfectly clear: You did not choose what we work on over the next month. While your decisions in this experiment happen to line up with those of our senior staff, they already planned this out well before we ever left Nanyej. After we dock at Fuhodo it'll still be a good month or two until we're able to finish fixing everything on the list anyway, so don't expect the docs to be able to patch you up if you get yourself killed in the meantime.

This debriefing is finally adjourned. I'm bringing the REKT vets in here next, so get out. Try to stay out of trouble until we make it to Fuhodo Station - I'll have another task for you then. Dismissed.
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

MISSION 2 BRIEFING
Everyone in the cryo-REKT group wanders around, doing their own things. Not much noteworthy happens. They learn some new skills, they start to make slightly better friends with some of the crew (and each other) and get plenty of beauty sleep. Eventually the news gets passed around that the Captain cut a deal with the pirates, and that they're going to help them. Most people seem okay with this. After all, a lot of them were much worse than pirates at some point in their lives. What the Nemesis was getting in return was not being mentioned - probably because it was information only privy to the higher-ups.

The next day, the Nemesis docks at Fuhodo Station without much fanfare. The hull echoes as the clamps lock onto the ship, but after that - silence reigns for several hours. Everyone seems to be in the dark about what - if anything - is going on. That's when the REKT crew gets a message on their PDA from SCAMPS: "Get your ass to the briefing room." That's all. Nothing else. But of course, they drop what they're doing and make a beeline. Less than ten minutes have passed before everyone is sitting in their chairs, waiting.

Glad you could all make it. That means you haven't found creative ways to get yourselves killed in the meantime. We've done a good job babyproofing the ship, I like to think.

As you've probably heard by now, Captain Retard negotiated a "deal" with the pirates of the Hy'sak Viscari. In short: they don't kill us, and we help them out. It's one-sided, but it's better than the Nemesis ending up as the same kind of mush my brains turn to after dealing with you asswipes. Seems they like the idea of a partner more than they like the idea of entering the scrap metal business, so that's a plus. At the same time, I still don't trust them for a variety of reasons. First off, they're pirates. That would normally be enough to deter me, but second - and this is important! - they're pirates. I don't have a third reason, but two ought to be enough, I think.

We're presently docked at Fuhodo Station for supplies, supposedly being retrieved by our new partners-in-crime while Havor Maluk is out wining and dining their leaders in a business conference. Fuhodo despises us even more than I do you, if you can imagine that, so before he left, Maluk gave very clear orders that nobody leave the ship. Having been given direct orders by the Nemesis's acting captain, I of course have complied as closely as possible: I have only sent out piece-of-shit nobodies like the advanced REKT crew - who, I might add, have already returned with the goods despite heavy opposition station-side. Our engineers are presently hard at work repairing the warp drives to minimum functionality.

And that brings me to the point. Ready to get to work? Buckle up, dipshits, and welcome to Fuhodo Station. As up to three of you have guessed by now (and I'm being generous with that count), I'm sending you in.

Nemesis needs cash. We can't get materials otherwise, and the pirates aren't offering anything we need. We don't have the resources to attack the station head-on, and we don't want to make an enemy of the entire sector. All of this means I need to send people ashore to find a variety of high-pay work offers - a group of piece-of-shit nobodies, as previously mentioned. That means you.

We're undocking as soon as Maluk finishes his manicure or whatever the fukc he's doing. That should be several hours from now, but you can't afford to wait until the last minute like you did in your previous mission. I need you to return before you're discovered missing. As Fuhodo Station contains over 230,000 individuals, you'll need some help narrowing down your search, so I recruited our prisoner, Aloka, to provide a detailed outline. I've sent it to your PDAs.

((A link to the interactive map SCAMPS gives to your characters on their PDAs, except it would be 3D, prettier, and have better coding (this is absolutely NOT intended to be used on a phone)))

A couple of centuries ago, the human megacorp P.T. Enterprises discovered a vast deposit of platinum on one of Fuhodo's orbital asteroids. Using aliens as cheap labor, they built the station and set up a privatized government. When the plat dried up, the idiots weren't prepared, and the station descended into chaos. After P.T. pulled out, it created a power vacuum that culminated in the Fuhodo Massacre, in which over 25,000 died, most to being spaced. Sound like fun so far? Your kind of place? Hell, you're going to love this - it gets even better!

The station is presently controlled by a splinter group of OWL: the Fuhodo Mercenary Union. The other main faction is the Hsilkorian Rebirth Movement - the same squids that built Huhoba Qitsit - and they have a very fragile relationship. Plenty of contention there, except in one area: we fucked with their economy. Things are even worse here than usual, and Kendall reports they're probably on the verge of a civil war. They need an outlet, and stress balls just aren't cutting it. Need me to spell it out for you? Every fukcing alien on that station would love nothing better than to blast you to a paste.

According to Aloka, your best bet to find work would be either at the merc towers, the markets, or the downtown area. You'll want to make yourself visible to potential employers, but not the common citizen. Good luck on figuring that one out. In case you find something interesting to purchase or just want a good meal, I'm giving you some unearned plat - 200 chips each. You can pay me back later. Terrin Zetch will be waiting at the elevator to let you convert REKT credits to plat if you so desire. And yes, I said elevator, not hangar. As expected, Kendall and his crew landing their fighters (and yours) atop the station's main hangar turned too many heads. We can't afford another incident like that - especially with your gross incompetence - so he hired two local shuttles to bring you over there, and they'll be parking up near the ruined bridge. As to getting home, I've installed autopiloting chips in your CASKETs. If you can carve a path to them, they're your emergency getaway vehicles. Otherwise they'll come back by themselves. If you get stranded, Tartarus will probably send a contingent of assassins after you later, but congrats on your temporary freedom I guess?

In the interest of introducing the slimmest chance of you somehow not getting yourselves killed, I'm dressing you up as regular old mercs-for-hire, armed to the teeth as is typical. Make sure you play the part. You'll want to stick in groups small enough to not attract too much attention, but avoid going solo - that paints you as a target. Don't idle in the corridors, and always have somewhere you're heading. If you need to meet up, either do it out of sight or make it look like coincidence. Merc groups are competitors, not friends. Also, watch for shady individuals - OWL probably has spies on the station. As long as you're on the Nemesis, you're under the protection of the Hy'sak Viscari, but as soon as you leave, you're fair game. Keep your guard up, and if anything anomalous materializes, take it this time.

Finally - and most importantly - do not communicate with the Nemesis under any circumstances. There's a high certainty that they're monitoring our comms. The second they hear back-and-forth chatter, they'll triangulate your position and be all over you. Talk to each other over comms as little as possible. Your suit comms will have basic encryption, but no more than that. If someone really wants to, they'll be able to decrypt it.

Now, before I kick you out to the airlock, figure out your battle plan. We only have one shot at this, so make it fukcing count.
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Asshole computer is right, solo would be suspicious and fatal.
Look around the table, taking stock of the team.

A man with the eyes of a child, seemingly mothered by a more sane looking girl. Definitely not, but I wonder which would cry more over the death of the other.
An insufferable looking man, constantly grinning. Want to tear his teeth out. No.
A fat fuk with stupid eyes. Too slow, but might make bait.... in an alligator swamp.
Scared, bearded guy, looks like a soldier. Probably can't improvise to save his life.
Guy who looks like he belongs in the prison halls, sweeping the shit out of the cells. Who let a rat like him live?
Large guy with hollow eyes and crossed hands. This one doesn't want to talk to anyone. I feel the same, but I need someone more malleable.
Cyclopes, but his one eye is too jumpy, too lively. This one is going to make too much noise.
Lean, mean lady. Focused eyes. Quiet.

I'll take that one.

Open my PDA, find the profile of the lady.
So Vynkor is her name.
Open the messenger tool and pulse her a PM:
"Hey, want to team up for this? -Marinka"

[IC]Vynkor[/IC]
SCAMPS wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 8:23 pm
As expected, Kendall and his crew landing their fighters (and yours) atop the station's main hangar
They touched my ship?
SCAMPS wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 8:23 pm

but avoid going solo - that paints you as a target.
Shit, that means I have to interact with these dumbasses.
I look around the table, trying to work out which of them is likely to be the least unpleasant one with whom to work. It's not hard to rule half of them out right away.
My PDA buzzes quietly.
Marina wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 8:55 pm
"Hey, want to team up for this? -Marinka"
I look Sukava over briefly and respond on the PDA:
"Sure, why the fukc not. Surely you can't be worse than these clowns."

Ugh, this mission sounds like it's going to suck. We're going to be running around on a huge space station that's on the brink of civil war, with 250,000 people who all want to tear us limb from limb. And just as the icing on the cake, we're going to have to buddy up with fukcing space pirates of all people. I scowl at the thought. At least they're not terrorists...you know, except for the ones that run the entire station. I try to mentally prepare myself; pretending to not despise every one of the slimy bastards we're likely to run into is going to be a mission in itself.

The real problem, of course, is actually surviving. We can't just go in shooting like a bunch of deranged maniacs like Alpha Squad did, we're going to have to be circumspect. I glance at Buck and Brom and groan inwardly...with them along for the ride, there's very little chance of that!

I begin thinking on the team compositions. We're going to want to split up to cover more ground and avoid attention, but given that we're going to have to restrict comms use, I'd want bigger teams.

"I think we should have at least a couple of three-person teams. It sounds like things could go pretty bad over there, and being in pairs as the entire station tries to kill us sounds like a good way to get sent back in a box."

I turn towards Frank. "You want to group up, Frank? We worked pretty well together in the sims."
Last edited by cuisinart8 on Thu May 16, 2019 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

[IC]Vynkor[/IC]
Caleb wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 9:27 pm
"I think we should have at least a couple of three-person teams. It sounds like things could go pretty bad over there, and being in pairs as the entire station tries to kill us sounds like a good way to get sent back in a box."
"Hah, you think they'd send you back. Derelict station like this is probably desperate for biomass."
Marina wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 9:14 pm
"Merc town sounds good, maybe the palaces, since that's where the station bosses probably are."
Via PDA:
"Merc is pretty close to the hangar—easy to get there without being seen. But others may have the same idea. Palace clients might be willing to pay extra for discretion."

Triggerhappy wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 12:15 am
Message back:
"Palace it is."
(( I think you guys missed the "old", "former beauty" and "currently controlled by gangs" part of the description :ghost: ))
---
Oh god this is high school group assignments all over again. Well... at least this time at least one person would probably want to be in a group with me.
I give Bob a smile and a wink.
"Well, there's ten of us, so maybe two groups of three and a group of four? Then each group can head to one of those three locations, to start off at least."

Not quite noticing people are grouping up over PDA (why would they do that anyway), I give Caleb a look that tries to say "pick me" but probably more conveys something like constipation or something
Warning: do not ask about physics unless you really want to know about physics.
The LT IRC / Alternate link || The REKT Wiki || PUDDING

Online Now