Return to “REKT”

Re: REKT: The Nemesis (Battlecarrier)

[IC]Saoirse[/IC]
After SCAMPS' message, I feel smug for a bit that we managed to pick the same plan as the senior staff.
Then, I start to hobble out, taking Caleb aside for a bit
"L-look I'm s-sorry for earlier, I didn't know we weren't supposed to tell SCAMPS and I-I wanted to know what was in those mission orders in that box..."

(( rest of conversation here ))

When I'm done talking, I decide I should do some shopping.
I sit down somewhere and browse the info on my PDA for a while.
After I've decided on what to get, I use my PDA to send an order to the armory for light suit armor, rocket boots and a cryo psy amp for my ship.

(( yeah I'm too lazy to walk over there :ghost: ))
Then I go on to send a mail to Ellie Mercer, Chief Medical Officer:
"Hi,
Quick question - I would like to purchase an upgrade to a cyborg leg (for my biological left leg) and to an armored leg (for my prosthetic right leg).
I know however that the medbay is very busy right now, and it's not super urgent (would like to get it done before we're let out of the ship again), so I didn't want to barge in and ask for it.
Could you let me know when it's ok for me to come in?
TIA,
Saoirse Fri'leth
PS: How is Davin doing?"

After that, I hobble towards the research department or wherever I would be able to find research people.
(( GK time! ))
When I do find someone researchy who doesn't seem like they would be too bothered by me (( not that I'd know with -2 cha, but hey )) I ask them
"Er, hi, you work for the researching department, right? So I was wondering, is it possible for me to get some info on how the tech we have work?
Cause, I used to work on PSI tech myself but I got to use Tartarus equipment last mission and the stuff you guys have is so cool! The amount of power and precision the PSI pack has, and the subtle control of the electro amp, and the battlestaff! I assume that one works by using precise gravitational fields to alter it's momentum in response to the user's mental input, but the fine control and speed you guys have put into it is just astonishing! And and..."
at this point it occurs to me that it's generally polite to let other people speak as well in a conversation, and I finish with
"Er, so, I'd love to know how it works internally. I understand if it's classified, of course..."
(( I assume they'll explain stuff here ))
when they're done explaining stuff, I thank them extensively, and ask
"Er, by the way, is there some kind of digital library I can access to review this stuff? And there's some stuff I wanted to brush up on in my free time..."
(( I'm not looking for free information or something, I want her to download some books on astrophysics to autodidact on and some research papers on the PSI tech to review ))
Last edited by Dinosawer on Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Warning: do not ask about physics unless you really want to know about physics.
The LT IRC / Alternate link || The REKT Wiki || PUDDING

After SCAMPS finishes talking, I start heading out, thinking of maybe doing some reading on alien weapons or just get some actual relaxation time in. Before I can get very far, though, I'm surprised by Saoirse pulling me aside. As she apologizes to me, a rueful smile crosses my face.

"To be honest, I completely forgot to tell you guys not to spread that to SCAMPS, so consider that slip-up on me. I was curious, too, anyway- if you hadn't asked, i very well might have!"

I maneuver us out into the hallway to lessen the chance of SCAMPS hearing.

"Hmm...well he sure seemed to act like he should if he was the Acting Captain when he talked to me. He had that military air about him, you know- and he seemed sincere. Not sure why he's working so hard to keep SCAMPS out of the loop, though." I grimace. "Gives me a bad feeling, having command authority being at odds with each other. That kind of thing...doesn't go well." I try not to let it show that I know from experience just what it can lead to.

"I figure if he's keeping it from SCAMPS, it's something that SCAMPS would try to interfere with...or maybe you're right, he's rogue, and the orders are something Tartarus wouldn't like us doing. Either way, something's up with all this. I don't like it one bit."

I consider for a moment before quickly glancing to make sure nobody is within earshot of us and leaning in to whisper. "Hey, would you mind keeping an eye out for anything strange? Especially regarding Maluk. I'm not asking you to go out of your way, but i don't trust the higher-ups at all and I'm worried this won't be the only time we get thrown under the bus- and that the consequences could be worse next time."

I briefly entertain the image of me sneaking around the ship like a spy in a movie, before nodding.
"Sure. Makes sense, even if Malik's just stupid, there's still at least one mole running loose...
And yeah, we have little reason to be happy with the management, even if we ignore the box thing.
... Like for sending us out again in a few days while I'm still hobbling around on crutches. I should go get that fixed, and buy some equipment.
Oh! That reminds me, I promised to pay you back for those syringes I used from you. I think you were knocked out when I did, but still
2 syringes, so 2 times 200 is 400 creds."
I take out my PDA and transfer 400 creds to Caleb.
(( I already did that long ago in the Armoury thread, now just in rp ))

Well, that was...acceptable.

"I hope we pick up some pasta on Fuhodo station. We've been without a proper meal for too long," - say to nobody in particular.

Head out, and go to the Engineering. Once there, locate Mara and tell her she's got her power supply.
Tell her I'd really appreciate something long and sharp attached to my CASKET to be used by my tentacles the next mission - before we work out how to get stuff for my cutlass design.

Once finished talking to Mara, walk around the ship, looking for opportunities to do noodly things for people in need - especially in sick bay and living areas.
Survivor of the Josh Parnell Blackout of 2015.

I start slightly, surprised that Saoirse is paying me back. "Oh! You didn't have to, but thanks! This'll let me keep stocked on meds for next time. I'm no Gearhead, but then again you don't have to be a cybersurgeon to use a syringe.

And yeah, it's pretty clear that Command very much doesn't have our best interests at heart. We're going to have to look out for our own, even against them- hence all this about Maluk."

[IC]Saoirse[/IC]
"Hey, fair's fair. Besides, we can't have you running out of money to buy guns because you keep buying syringes to keep us all from dying, right?", I joke, oblivious to the fact that this may be a sensitive topic.
After a short awkward silence, I realise I don't really have anything to say anymore.
"Sooooo, er, I guess I should go do some shopping then. See you later!"
I try to give Caleb a wave only to remember I'm standing on crutches, give him a smile instead, and start to hobble off, feeling pretty good about myself, while softly whistling an upbeat tune.

I put up my PDA and stroll out of the briefing room and down the corridor, looking strangely at Caleb and Saoirse as the latter leaves before heading to the medbay.
Once there, I address the nearest non-uninterruptibly-busy medical-looking person.
"Hey, so I found these things in the catalog." I show them the PDA with the augment catalog screen. "I know you guys aren't exactly in tip-top condition, but do you think I could see a little more? I'm particularly interested in this phase mesh thing."
When they tell me that the medbay is quite broken, I offer my services as an engineer.

I force a quick smile, having spaced out somewhat when Saorise had mentioned losing teammates. "Later, Saoirse."

As Saoirse leaves, I decide to try and read up a bit on various topics- it'd be useful to know more about the aliens around here and their tech. Lack of knowledge on that front almost prevented us from using the AA guns on Nanyej, and I promise myself that I'll do better for my squad next time.

I try to find a crewmember to ask where I'd be likely to find the ship's librarian and follow their directions. When I find Anelle, I introduce myself.

"Are you the ship's librarian? I'm Caleb, from Beta Squad. I was wondering if you had any material left about hiltorel weapons, the hiltorel themselves, and this cluster- like hiltorel culture, or the history of the cluster and possible big players here."

UPDATE TIME. FINALLY.
((Sorry for the delay. A large number of entirely new IRL complications have happened in the past month or so and are still ongoing.))

  With the mission briefing finally over, everyone files out of both ends of the conference room, not wanting to test SCAMPS's patience - or his ability to make good on his threats. With Saoirse and Caleb as the sole exceptions, everyone splits up, going in different directions. I mention Caleb and Saoirse in particular because they start a very deep conversation about the people in command of the ship, worry about things for a while (to little avail) and make good on their promises to each other: Saoirse pays Caleb back for the syringes she borrowed. It's the start of a beautiful friendship, the previous grievances in the mess hall completely forgotten...

...or are they? Perhaps we can imagine them throwing nasty looks at each other's backs as they turn and walk away towards separate portions of the ship - the hangar being one of the initially most popular places.

~~~

  "I have accomplished the task you asked of me, Mara," Ishmael speaks, after he's gotten her attention. (It takes a bit, and involves her hitting the top of her head on the underside of a ship. She is not pleased.) "The engineers at the reactor have granted you an increased power supply.
  "Yeah, great!" Mara half-shouts, gingerly massaging the bump on the top of her head (and getting her hair needlessly dirty in the process). "Yeah, I noticed! That's why I'm under here trying to fix this shit! Damn it all." The woman pulls out a pack of e-cigs and starts smoking one: an archaic practice that fortunately lacks the long-term health effects of its predecessors. After its in her mouth, she goes on, "And now I guess you want what you asked for, right?"
  "Yes, I believe that was our agreement."
  She shakes her head - more to herself than Ishmael. "Fukcing hell. You know we don't have gear to get you a proper cutlass, right? If you want something monofilament we need proper tools and we don't have that shit right now!"
  "I understand," Ishmael says calmly. Any disappointment is masked. "I would greatly appreciate some cutting implement, however - something long and sharp - to be attached to my CASKET prior to the next mission. We can work out the cutlass design and the necessary materials later."
  Mara starts wiping her hands off on a dirty rag, and lets out a grunt around her cig that almost sounds like approval. "So you're all about utility then. Well... that changes things. I can get you something sharp by next mission, yeah, as a thank-you for the extra power. Lance is a pompous windbag with an ego stronger than the smell of the brass's shit. He's all about bravado and appearance, but at the end of the day?" She tosses the rag onto a table nearby. "I'm reliable. He's not."
  Ishmael nods. "I thank you," he says simply, with a little of a bow.
  "I'm gonna get back to work now. Oh - and if you happen to see Brom? Tell him he can use the tools, as long as he doesn't bother me." And she goes back to work, leaving Ishmael to reflect on how his day seems to be gradually getting better.

~~~

  Someone who is not having a good day, on the other hand, is Bob, who happens to find Crank very shortly after leaving the debriefing.
  "Mr. Crank!" Bob says excitedly as the two approach each other. "Mr. Crank sir, could you go now introduce Bob-boss to Bryce? Bob still want work!" And Bob smiles his toothiest, most charming smile - the one that always makes the women coo.
  But Mr. Crank is not a woman. "Oh gee, sorry buddy!" Crank apologizes with a frown as he approaches - and passes. "I gotta get to our debrief! It's our turn now - me and Anabais and everybody! You can find him, though! Just go on down to the hangar, I'll catch up later!" Crank gives a bit of a mechanical salute (pun) and ducks into the conference room.
  His excitement somewhat subdued, Bob watches him go. "Bye Mr. Crank."

  At that moment, Anabais happens to be coming down the hallway, looking as mean as ever. She ignores Bob as she passes - and Frank as well, who has tossed himself into a maintenance area in a desperate attempt to evade her. After Anabais is safely behind the conference room door, Frank leaves his little hiding spot (thanking the Great Dust Bunny for giving him the janitorial knowledge that permitted him to hide in a glorified mop closet) and starts back towards the armory. He has something very specific in mind... he wants to know if it would be all right for him to keep his alien sword.

  "You want what now?"
  Dennis Hoffman, Chief Armory Officer, scratches his head in puzzlement.
  "I want my sword from the mission," Frank explains again. "I got it off a dead guy."
  "Hrm..." Hoffman mutters, his lips twitching as he eyes Frank up and down. "You know, you don't look like the type to wield a sword..." When Frank only nods understandingly, the man goes on, "How about I get you a nice, sharp one from here? Tartarus Inc's best. You'll love it, lad! Sturdy alloy blade, monofilament edge, and the standard Tartarus Inc. year-long warranty - hard to beat that, you know! Why, when I was younger, I - "
  Frank is shaking his head. "I just want the one I brought back from the mission."
  The officer's lips twitch again, and he adjusts his cap. "Hmm... This is highly irregular, you know. Our swords are a lot more reliable than that one you brought back. You know, I --" Frank interrupts him with another headshake in the negative. "Okay, so you're sure you really want to --" Frank nods. "Well, I guess we can make an exception then... just this time. That's going to be more paperwork for me, though."

~~~

  Paperwork sucks.

  This is exactly why Saoirse decided to skip as much of it as possible. She sits on a bench in a little hallway alcove and ignores the crewmen rushing past as she scrolls through the little datapages of her PDA.
  "Hmm... Light suit armor sounds good," she mumbles quietly to herself. "Can't go wrong with a little survivability." She inputs this data and sends it to the armory, and then continues on through the lists of potential purchases. Rocket boots sound pretty cool. So does a cryo psyamp. She purchases both of these, noting as she does that it's really nice that she's good at using her PDA.
  
  After she finishes browsing, she sends a tell to Ellie Mercer - the Chief Medical Officer, whom she met once before.

      Hi,
    Quick question - I would like to purchase an upgrade to a cyborg leg (for my biological left leg) and to an armored leg (for my prosthetic right leg).
    I know however that the medbay is very busy right now, and it's not super urgent (would like to get it done before we're let out of the ship again), so I didn't want to barge in and ask for it.
    Could you let me know when it's ok for me to come in?

    TIA,
      Saoirse Fri'leth

    PS: How is Davin doing?

  Saoirse does not realize of course that she has committed yet another major social faux pas, but she will before long. In her haste to send the tell, she accidentally bugged out the tell app and selected a "send to group" option. The people in the medbay will not be happy.
  And, speaking of the people in the medbay...

~~~

  Ishmael, Vynkor and Gene have all found themselves in the medbay, and after much asking around, have also obtained the attention of one Kenji Akronis, the lead Bioengineer. Kenji stands in one of the cluttered, empty hallways, eyeing them warily, fiddling with his arm as though it's uncomfortable. You almost think it might be the full tattoo job he sports.

  "You don't look like janitors," Kenji states flatly. "You look more like those, ah - those guys out of cryo, you know? I was looking for janitors, not the cryo-people. This wing needs cleaned up before the engineers will so much as look at it, ayvahda. I have mops, buckets, scrap receptacles..." His accent is hard to place; it must be Spacer Midworld somewhere.
  "Actually," Vynkor interrupts, stepping forward and speaking for the group, "We found this in the PDA catalogs." She holds out her PDA, showing off the augment screens. "I know you guys aren't exactly in tip-top condition, but do you think I could see a little more? I'm particularly interested in this phase mesh thing."
  "See a little more? A little more what?" Kenji asks. "Look around you - this is my little shop. The Nemesis was never capable of installing new implants, only maintaining." He lifts up his arm, which flips open like a swiss army knife - a dizzying array of gadgets fold out smoothly. "Got to keep our parts in working shape, ah? See? But with no tools, no materials, I can hardly maintain my own units. I have some mops for you if you'd like..."
  Somehow, mopping the floor in the medbay doesn't sound like a particularly exciting prospect.
  "Well," Gene interjects, "We were actually thinking that maybe you needed the assistance of an engineer. We could get everything up and running for you." He glances at Vynkor, who nods and affirms that she's an engineer too.
  "Good, good, all good," Kenji nods. "Engineers with mops are efficient. That's good style you have."
  Vynkor shakes her head. "No no - we want to help fix whatever we have to in order to get augments."
  "I'm interested as well," Ishmael pipes up. Helping people is indeed something he's quite all right with, even if he's not specifically looking for augments.
  Kenji looks back and forth between the three of them. "You're not joking about this, are you..."
  Three heads shake in the negative.
  For what feels like a long time, Kenji is silent. "Hmm... no mops then. Ayvahda," he mutters, pacing back and forth, his keen eyes raptly on their figures as he runs a hand through his blackened hair. One almost feels like he's examining them, wondering where implants might fit best, or perhaps who would be best-suited for them - or, perhaps even his expert eye is able to tell from a glance who has implants, and who doesn't. "You - name," he finally barks sharply, coming to a stop in front of an inmate.
  "Gene."
  "You've not held a mop before? I'll give you a cutting tool, you can handle cutting debris into manageable pieces. Good arms on you. And you - girl with the vat skin." He gestures at Vynkor. "You carry his cut trash to rubbish cart. And ... fat boy."
  Ishmael stands to attention, awaiting his orders.
  Kenji hesitates uncomfortably, perhaps intimidated by the width of Ishmael's figure. Finally, he just says, "You may... push the cart. Carefully." He turns about on his heel and starts marching down the hallway. "Follow, three: I will lead you to cart and cutter."

~~~

  "Er, hi," Saoirse mumbles.
  Nobody hears her.
  The hustle and bustle of the research department swarms around her. Research? Not a chance. Right now people are just focused on salvaging what they can. A woman weeps near her in a corner for reasons unclear, and a man, trying to talk to her, nearly gets knocked over by a group of workers manually carrying a heavy metal beam. "PIVOT! PIVOT!" one of them yells, while another yells back that they are.
  "Excuse me," Saoirse says more loudly. Then, as she starts to grow more impatient, "HEY!"
  She startles her target: a heavyset man with curly black hair. He nearly stabs himself with the instrument he's peering into. "Sweet merciful Freya," he breathes, closing his eyes to calm himself. His jaw clenches visibly. "Don't you have anything better to do? I'm busy, can't you see? I could've messed up my eye, you know, and then where would I be? Certainly not here in the labs, I can tell you that much!"
  "Yeah, sorry," the lady apologizes. "You work for the researching department, right?"
  He narrows an annoyed glare at her.
  "...Okaaaaay." Saoirse decides it might be better to start again from the top. "Well, I was wondering, is it possible for me to get some info on how the tech we have works? 'Cause I used to work on PSI tech myself but I got to use Tartarus equipment last mission and the stuff you have is so cool, like the amount of precision and power the PSI pack has, and the subtle control of the electro amp, and the battlestaff too, which I assume works by using precise gravitational fields to alter its momentum in response to the user's mental input, but the fine control speed you guys have put into it -"
  As she runs on ad infinitum, the glare becomes more and more piercing until she finally gets the hint. Thank the gods, she shuts up. "Is there something you actually want from me?" the man asks. "And - I am sorry for being cross with you. I'm short on sleep and just trying to get this work completed."
  Saoirse nods, not at all taking the hint. "I'd love to know how all this stuff works internally. I understand if it's classified, of course..."
  The man just sighs. After a pause, he sets his instruments down on the table in front of him, and then calmly leans back in his seat. "You're one of the new inmates. The ones from cryo."
  "Mhm."
  "Well then," the man says decidedly, "sit down across from me and I'll tell you what I can, but we need to make it quick. I'll start with the basics - the theories behind anomalous materials, bubbleverses, projected realities and dimensions, quantum energy, spacetime fluctuations, and we'll move on from there, depending on how quick a study you are. And in return," he says menacingly, inclining his head forward to stare keenly at the woman through his graying, bushy eyebrows, "you can work for me later, if you survive your missions. Feel free to interrupt me at any time if you grow weary." He doesn't wait for her to reply before he launches quickly into a tired monologue about the prevailing theories on anomalous materials and their origins. "I suppose you've studied enough history to know about the NES Himalaya in the Northern Exclusion Zone, yes? They discovered an ancient vessel just over 200 years ago, and firing lasers at its hull caused it to teleport out of the way. Orders to destroy it were immediately canceled investigation was launched, whereupon it was discovered..." he continues on for a good while in this vein, moving swiftly from topic to topic. It is really quite hypnotic.
  

  By the time a good hour has passed, it becomes apparent that Saoirse is actually retaining at least some degree of the information. "All right, you're still here, so that's a good sign," the man says, stifling a yawn. "However, I really do need to finish my work, so if we could perhaps reconvene at a later date, would that be all right with you? We've only just begun to scratch the surface of anomalous studies."
  As excited by the prospect as Saoirse is, she instead merely states that she understands, and then asks, "Is there some kind of digital library I can access to review this stuff? And there's some stuff I wanted to brush up on in my free time..."
  "Library? Hmm..." the man mutters. "Perhaps. You could head down to the bow of the ship, port side, and ask Miss Maliese if she could assist you. She was our librarian... well, before the attack spaced our library. Captain Machellan had a certain fondness for printed literature, so she kept a small selection."

~~~

  AND SO, things aligned in such a way that Caleb and Saoirse would fatefully reunite in the port side of the bow of the Nemesis, due entirely to the fact that both happened to be looking for Anelle Maliese, and this is not at all a contrived coincidence in any way, shape or form! Radical, right?

  After a quick "Hi hello", the pair quickly gets down to business.
  "So uh," Caleb asks Saoirse, "Why are you down here exactly?"
  The lights flicker menacingly. For the most part, they are dim enough to only just provide enough light to walk. In many areas - especially those creedy side passages - the lights are out completely. Here and there, sparks sputter from broken circuitry on the walls. It's rather ominous scenery, by and large.
  "I'm just looking for 'Miss Maliese'," Saoirse explains.
  "Yeah, me too. Anelle Maliese? The crewman I asked said she was the librarian."
  The girl nods. "For me it was someone in the labs. He said the same thing. I did ask specifically for a digital library though."
  "And the crewman said the library was destroyed," Caleb points out. "So why would Anelle be down here?"
  Saoirse only shrugs in response.
  The lights flicker.
  A voice emanates from the darkness ahead. "H - hello? Is someone there?" The echoing feminine voice sounds scared - airy - almost otherworldly.
  Again the lights flicker. An ominous hissing is heard.
  "Anelle Maliese?" Caleb calls out. "We were told to come find you."
  There's a loud thump; the sound of a door closing, a shriek, and a sharp startled cry. Then... silence. True to form, Caleb rushes forward to see what happened, shouting "Anelle? Are you all right?" Saoirse follows a short distance behind.

  Fortunately, Tal is a better writer than this, and a laughably gruesome monster has not attacked the poor girl. Instead, she's merely fallen over. Caleb helps her back to her feet.
  "Oh... Oh, thank you," she says softly, straightening and brushing herself off. "I - well, you see..."
  Stopping just beside them, Saoirse picks up a wad of material off the ground. "This is a spacesuit," she points out. "Why do you have a suit?"
  The woman pauses, searching the inmates' eyes for some sign of compassion. There is none to be found in Saoirse's awkward stare, but Caleb is fortunately a different story. "Well... I - I know it's off-limits, but... I just wanted to see if any books were left in the library after all the damage. The blast doors are closed off and I can't get them open. I spent the past eight years working on that library - it's like my life's work. I just... I just need to know if any of it is okay."
  "So you are the ship's librarian?" Caleb asks, extending a hand. "I'm Caleb, from Beta Squad."
  "The cryo people," Anelle whispers, timidly accepting the handshake. "Yes, I'm Anelle. I'm glad to meet you. I already met Miles, and Bob. Are they all right?"

  ((If you guys would like to streamline this, I'll finish the post by saying that you had a brief conversation and she took you to a place where you could access the ship's digital library.))
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Talvieno wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:40 am
Ellie Mercer - the Chief Medical Officer, if the Nemesis's Roster is to be trusted.
(( They've met when she was dropping off Davin at the medbay ))
Talvieno wrote:
 "All right, you're still here, so that's a good sign," the man says, stifling a yawn. "However, I really do need to finish my work, so if we could perhaps reconvene at a later date, would that be all right with you? We've only just begun to scratch the surface of anomalous studies."
(( is it okay if I say she'll go back there regularly without explicitly writing it out every time, to save you writing time? ))
Talvieno wrote:
((If you guys would like to streamline this, I'll finish the post by saying that you had a brief conversation and she took you to a place where you could access the ship's digital library.))
(( I'm fine with either, so I'll leave it up to cuisinart ))

"Vat skin?" I glare at his back as I follow. How could someone with an arm like that be such an ass?
While Gene gets to work on the cutting, I glance around for implements and pieces of debris which could expedite the process.
I also look for duct tape, and, if I find it, use it to make a shovel or rake whatever out of the debris, as appropriate.
((How big are these pieces again?)) I requisition Gene's cutting tool as necessary.
If I don't find any tape, I grumble irritably about its absence but otherwise get on with it.

Online Now