Return to “REKT”

Re: REKT: The Nemesis (Battlecarrier)

[IC]Saoirse[/IC]
I look at Caleb, and then at the seat I pulled out, and then at Caleb again, in slightly hurt confusion.
mental gears grinding
Then I lift myself up with some effort, and shove over on the chair I pulled out, so Frank can sit between us
"There, you can sit here!"
And I try to pretend that wasn't awkward.
Warning: do not ask about physics unless you really want to know about physics.
The LT IRC / Alternate link || The REKT Wiki || PUDDING

Cho has been sitting in silence, watching the drama unfold - which amuses her, but she doesn't particularly enjoy the fact that it's happening. In a (perhaps misguided) attempt to settle it, she too pulls out a seat next to her. "Fraaaaank!" she calls out sweetly over the voices of the others, "come sit down!"

Unfortunately, she may have just made it even worse.

(( :ghost: This is all highly amusing. ))
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

[IC]Caleb[/IC]
I glance back at Saoirse, mirroring her confusion as I slowly push the chair I pulled out back in. I'm just going to pretend that didn't happen.

Suddenly, Cho pulls out a chair and calls out to Frank. I turn my gaze to her, managing to look even more confused than before. You're beautiful and lovely and amazing, Cho, but things were bad enough before you did that!

I awkwardly pat the seat between Saoirse and me, giving Frank a pleading look. Suddenly, I feel something beneath my hand that is most certainly not the chair...I jerk a bit in surprise and mortification as I realize I just patted Saoirse's hand! I remove mine from the seat as if it was on fire and just fold my hands in my lap.
Last edited by cuisinart8 on Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Looking on the chaos unfolding at the table, I smirk and take a seat at the counter. "Hey Frank," I call from across the room. "Why don't you come sit by your old pal Vynkor? We can discuss the finer points of microwaves and their interaction with metal buildings." I turn back to Brenna. "You wouldn't happen to have a microwave oven lying around for… demonstrations, would you?"

[IC]Frank[/IC]
Dinosawer wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:45 pm
I shove a chair back next to me.
"Here, have a seat and eat a bit. You'll feel better. I think."
Frank absentmindedly kneads his hand, just now noticing that he apparently dropped his ration bar sometime back there.
He just wanted to say something when
cuisinart8 wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:04 pm
I risk a glance at Saoirse and quickly pull out a seat beside me.

"Yeah, Frank, come on and have a seat!"
Blinking at that, the hollow feeling receeding a bit...
Dinosawer wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:38 pm
Saoirse chair shuffling
Before being replaced by confusion at the awkward sight.
A wild Cho attacks!
Another chair being offered, Caleb absently patting Saoirse's hand, looking embarassed as hell after she pulled her hand away. Cho looking slightly hopef-
A stray thought crashing into his confused mind, a memory of take-out being promised!

Frank is now eyeing the chair that Cho pulled out and her look for just a short, startled moment.
Almost reaching outto the seat between Saoirse and Caleb, but noticing the strange pointed look she threw Caleb made him hesitate.

Somehow, the scene with Buck before, as aggravating it was...now it seemed more manageable than this...

"...what...?" he mumbles, confused.
Apparently, sometimes stuff might happen.
- - - - - - - -

[IC]Caleb[/IC]
TotallyNotHuman wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:36 pm
I take a sip of my water and look at Caleb, who seems somewhat uncomfortable. "You all right there, Caleb? Ration bar making you sick? I getcha, man, this thing is barely edible. Just gotta get used to it is all."
Finally, words! I grasp tightly at the lifeline Gene holds out for me.

"No, I've had worse before. Honestly, this isn't that bad, really. The mediwater is terrible, though, whoever came up with that must be one miserable bastard."

cuisinart8 wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:40 pm
[IC]Caleb[/IC]
Finally, words! I grasp tightly at the lifeline Gene holds out for me.

"No, I've had worse before. Honestly, this isn't that bad, really. The mediwater is terrible, though, whoever came up with that must be one miserable bastard."
"Ah, yeah. I'd stick with regular water—it doesn't taste like anything but that's good enough for me. So why the long face?"

[IC]Frank[/IC]
0111narwhalz wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:28 pm
Vynkor-interrupt!
Flinching strongly at the unwelcome memories dredged by Vynkor's comments, Frank stumbles towards the empty seat at the end of the table, next to Caleb.

In his haste to get away though, his foot gets caught on the partway pulled out chair between the two Beta-squadmates!
With a statled yelp he just barely manages to catch himself before heavily dropping in the seat opposite Gene.
Apparently, sometimes stuff might happen.
- - - - - - - -

[IC]Caleb[/IC]
TotallyNotHuman wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:51 pm
"Ah, yeah. I'd stick with regular water—it doesn't taste like anything but that's good enough for me. So why the long face?"
Gene quickly foils my attempts at conversation, but I'm not one to let something like that stop me. Until Saoirse pipes in, that is, and derails my train of thought.

This is ridiculous! I decide to finally man up and tackle the issue. Letting this fester is just going to screw the squad later, when we actually have to rely on each other. I barely manage to stifle thoughts of my old platoon and how well we got on. Now's not the time to be wishing for the old days.

I finally turn and look at Saoirse. "Okay, look. I'm sorry about what I said earlier. I should've thought more before saying it. But you can't exactly blame me for not being used to these things!" I tap one of my metal legs for emphasis.
"I've never had prosthetics before. I liked my legs the way they were. These...they just feel wrong. I can't really describe it. But they're not my legs. I can notice so many little differences, things that just hammer home that I got my legs cut off because I was too damn stupid to act like a soldier out there. That's why I don't like them."

[IC]Saoirse[/IC]
I feel my feelings of anger quickly deflating, only to be replaced by feeling completely and utterly embarrassed as I realise I was the one being an ass.

"I - I - I - I" I stammer, while I realise I don't really know how I'm supposed to fix this situation.
I briefly get the urge to just run away - but force myself not to. This might be the only chance I have to actually make friends for once somewhere... Besides, I think Frank just accidentally kicked away my crutches while stumbling for his seat.

"...I'm s-sorry, it's just, er, t-that, er...I...I..."
How do I fix this?
... Sharing?

"I... I had these since I was 8. And, l-like, all of my life, everyone treated me like s-some kind of subhuman being just b-because of that. Kids at school m-mocked me, I wasn't allowed to join PE, old people on the street called little me an abomination, Lindsay who I liked in middle school said I was super ugly with my rusty metal stick leg" okay that might be too much sharing "at job interviews they'd just look at me and I inevitably got a polite mail saying I wasn't a good fit...
S-so, er...
I-I guess I just automatically assumed you were the same way while I hoped people here wouldn't be... But I forgot that is perfectly normal for you to feel bad right after you lost your legs, and I'm v-very sorry a-about that..."
I let my head hang a bit, then look back at Caleb and say "Friends?" in a hopeful tone.
Last edited by Dinosawer on Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Warning: do not ask about physics unless you really want to know about physics.
The LT IRC / Alternate link || The REKT Wiki || PUDDING

Hunger.

For the souls of the innocent!

No, for food.

Open the map, and make my way up to the Mess Hall.

Stepping through the door, smile, looking around the mess. Spreading my shoulders slightly to present my voluptuous chest and rocking my hips, walk to the counter, and collect a ration bar.

Turning, approach the only chair with other bright-orange jump suits - fellow stasis revives, it appears.

Smile at them.

"Hello! Mind if I join you?"

Without waiting for an answer, sit down on THE SEAT.

Online Now