Re: REKT: The Nemesis (Battlecarrier)

Ishmael
Spoiler:      SHOW
outlander wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:31 am
Carefully, slowly try walking around. Approach the medical man, and say to him:

"Sorry to interrupt your work, Healer. I must thank thee for my deliverance."
Bow to the medical man

"I'll pray to the FSM for you, Aaron Glover. May His all-loving tentacles embrace you and guard you from all ills."

Listen to his reply (if there's any),
bid him farewell
AND leave the medical yard.
Open my PDA
AND study the ship's plans.
Go someplace where I can grab a snack.
Once there, talk to the person in charge
AND ask for a ration bar, preferably the one that tastes like spaghetti with meatballs.
Give the FSM's blessing to the person who served me the food.
Sit down to eat,
Eat,
AND study documents sent by SCAMPS.

((edited to include blessing random strangers :V ))
You ease yourself off the table and stand. Your legs still work, although they look considerably thinner than you remember - probably due to atrophy. They most likely gave you nanomedicine to counteract it - hopefully with no ill effects. Taking a few cautious steps, you check to make sure everything still works. Fortunately, apart from the splitting headache, you seem to be all right - and apart from all your other symptoms, of course. You walk over to Dr. Aaron, who is now tending someone with what appears to be a broken leg - and with splints, of all things. They must be truly desperate if this is all they have. "Sorry to interrupt your work, Healer," you say softly. He looks over at you. "I must thank thee for my deliverance." You bow deeply. "I'll pray to the FSM for you, Aaron Glover. May His all-loving tentacles embrace you and guard you from all ills."

The man's face lights up with a smile - he must not see gratitude from people often lately. "A man of the faith!" he exclaims. "Thank you, Dr. Ishmael. I appreciate your prayers, and I'll do the same for you." Still smiling, he turns back to his work. You take your leave.

As you walk through the ship's corridors, you read your PDA, looking for ship plans. Eventually, you find them, and start heading to the mess hall. On the way there, you notice painted orange-and-black signs on the floor that actually give the directions themselves, and so put your PDA away, following them instead.

~~~

The mess hall looks like a tornado hit. Tables are strewn about haphazardly, chairs have come loose from the floor. A number of them have been righted by visitors, though, and these stand out from the disarray. At one end of the mess hall, toward the rear of the ship, there are a couple serving counters. You walk up to one of them, tapping on the glass shielding of what was at some point a cafeteria serving line - but is presently empty. When there's no answer, you rap your knuckles against the metal countertop instead: it produces a reverberating booming noise.

"Coming!" someone shouts from the kitchens, followed by a loud crash and a cry of, "Sorry, just a minute!" You wait about thirty seconds before a younger woman rushes out. "Sorry, so sorry," she apologizes, straightening the askew cap on her head. "There was a thing in back, and... well... Anyway, hello. I'm Brenna."

You politely ignore her disheveled appearance. "Call me Dr. Ishmael," you begin. "Might I trouble you for a ration bar? Specifically, one that tastes like spaghetti and meatballs."

Brenna nods, looking a bit anxious, and then heads back to the kitchen. A few minutes later, she returns with a ration bar. "It's hamburger," she apologizes. "It's the closest thing I could find. I guess you can pretend they're meatballs?"

Sighing inwardly, you accept the food. It'll have to do. "Thank you, Brenna. May His Noodliness protect your health. I bless you in His Noodly name." Brenna clasps her hands in front of her and awkwardly gives something very, very vaguely akin to a curtsy. She looks uncomfortable, but also pleased and lightly amused. You ignore this and turn, heading for one of the righted tables. Then, sitting down, you give thanks to the FSM, and begin eating - as you read the documents your PDA. Starting the list is one from SCAMPS, apparently a computer. He explains where you are, and what happened to the Nemesis. You also read through the mission briefing transcript. There's hardly even one mention of His Noodliness anywhere. It's a travesty. The priest they have aboard this vessel is likely multifaith, for catering to anyone religious, and not a true Pastafarian. That ought to be rectified.
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Look at the ship's status in the documents again.

That's no good, me hearties! At 'tis rate, we would go down so fast we won't even have time to say 'Arrr!'. We need to come together a crew, as mates, and do FSM's bidding. For difficulties are but tests; and truly says the gospel, if you throw a bunch of kiwis from a high enough cliff, the birds, seeing their fate rushing toward them at terminal velocity, will flap their 'useless' wings and fly to safety. And so shall we.

Finish the meal.

Stand up to get some attention.
Open the book of Revelations of St. Jason, and read out this part to cheer people up and rekindle the light of faith in them:

"There is no fate" He said unto me
"Only what you make of yourself. If you truly wish this, then embrace your Virtues. There is a spot here for you, all you have to do is take it."
And I awoke in my own rooms, untouched as before."

Close the book and look around.

"Like in the time of Crusades, we are fighting the Deceivers again. Like in the time of Crusades, we'll prevail, by the might of our weapons, the right of our beliefs, and by the light of His eternal love for His children."

Take a dramatic pause.

"I know what some of you think - that talking is not working, and you indeed are right, my mateys! But I've fought the Squids before, in the Outer Perseus Arm Hiltorei Rebellions. And by the grace of the FSM, I'll do it again! I'll fight for your souls till the light of Victory shines upon us. And so should all of you!"

Judge the result of my speech,
Take my leave,
Go find the hangar
Find the person in charge
AND present myself to him.
Survivor of the Josh Parnell Blackout of 2015.

Ishmael
outlander wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:17 pm
Look at the ship's status in the documents again.

That's no good, me hearties! At 'tis rate, we would go down so fast we won't even have time to say 'Arrr!'. We need to come together a crew, as mates, and do FSM's bidding. For difficulties are but tests; and truly says the gospel, if you throw a bunch of kiwis from a high enough cliff, the birds, seeing their fate rushing toward them at terminal velocity, will flap their 'useless' wings and fly to safety. And so shall we.

Finish the meal.

Stand up to get some attention.
Open the book of Revelations of St. Jason, and read out this part to cheer people up and rekindle the light of faith in them:

"There is no fate" He said unto me
"Only what you make of yourself. If you truly wish this, then embrace your Virtues. There is a spot here for you, all you have to do is take it."
And I awoke in my own rooms, untouched as before."

Close the book and look around.

"Like in the time of Crusades, we are fighting the Deceivers again. Like in the time of Crusades, we'll prevail, by the might of our weapons, the right of our beliefs, and by the light of His eternal love for His children."

Take a dramatic pause.

"I know what some of you think - that talking is not working, and you indeed are right, my mateys! But I've fought the Squids before, in the Outer Perseus Arm Hiltorei Rebellions. And by the grace of the FSM, I'll do it again! I'll fight for your souls till the light of Victory shines upon us. And so should all of you!"

Judge the result of my speech,
Take my leave,
Go find the hangar
Find the person in charge
AND present myself to him.
You look at the ship's status as you finish your meal. The whole list is filled with reds and yellows - critical warnings and alerts. At its state when it landed, it wasn't capable of spaceflight, even if it had a way to get off the ground. The Nemesis is in bad, bad shape.

With your ration bar consumed, you stand, open your Gospel to the book of the Revelations of St. Jason, and begin to read to the people around you. There aren't many - it's off hour - but of the few people there, they listen. Your booming voice echoes majestically in the room. "'"There is no fate," He said unto me, "Only what you make of yourself. If you truly wish this, then embrace your Virtues. There is a spot here for you, all you have to do is take it." And I awoke in my own rooms, untouched as before."'" You close the book. "Like in the time of Crusades, we are fighting the Deceivers again. Like in the time of the Crusades, we'll prevail, by the might of our weapons, the right of our beliefs, and the light of His eternal love for His children.

You pause dramatically.

"I know what some of you think - that talking is not working, and you indeed are right, my mateys! But I've fought the Squids before, in the Outer Perseus Arm Hiltorel Rebellions. And by the grace of the FSM, I'll do it again! I'll fight for your souls till the light of Victory shines upon us. And so should all of you!"

There's a brief clapping of a few people at the end of your mini-sermon, and people seem visibly cheered. Where the hell is the pastor that's supposed to be serving aboard this ship? This is supposed to be his job, and he clearly hasn't done it - multifaith or not. You bow slightly to the people nearby, excuse yourself with a brief wave, and head to the hangar.

~~~

"No, THAT end goes HERE, the OTHER end goes THERE! See these notches on the side? Those have to line up at all times, even when they're in motion, or the whole thing will shake itself apart! You two over there - help these guys disassemble it and put it together properly this time!"

Standing just inside the hangar, you see a woman standing atop a fairly large piece of equipment that certainly doesn't look like something that belongs in a hangar. In fact, the whole hangar is littered with pieces of machinery and hard-working engineers trying to fix all of it. You're not particularly well-versed in engineering and mechanical things, so you're not entirely sure you know what's going on. You cautiously approach the shouting woman, who has climbed up atop another piece of machinery and is congratulating them on a job well done - whatever that job was. ...And now she's shouting orders again. Perhaps she's not the best one to ask, you decide - but it's too late. Someone else has spotted you and is motioning in your direction - and, exasperated, she notices you standing there.

"Not another one," she groans, hopping off the machine. "Sorry, things are falling apart out here." She offers a hand for a handshake; you accept. She has a very firm, casual grip. "I'm Mara, Chief Mod Installation Officer. I handle installing equipment on CASKETs."

You bow slightly. "Call me Ishmael. And...?" you look questioningly toward the piece of equipment she was just clambering over.

She sighs and rolls her eyes"And yes, I know these aren't CASKETs, but we're short-handed right now." She pauses, wiping her hands off on a dirty cloth - and you realize that your hands are fairly grimy now as well. "We're trying to get some engine parts repaired so we can actually get this hunk of scrap off the ground. We only have just over an hour at this point, so we're really short on time. ...WHAT, ASSHOLE?" This last is not directed at you, but someone behind her - calling her Meredith, you notice. She shouts a few instructions at the man, who smirks and runs off to take care of it. Then, turning to you, she finishes, "Your CASKET's over there on the left wall. We're not quite done fixing it up yet. We only have parts for one or two more after this, and after that we'll have to melt down scrap to build them." She seems quite ready to get back to work, but you have the feeling you can ask another question or two without her getting mad at you - provided, perhaps, you don't call her "Meredith".
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

"Thank you, esteemed Engineer. I believe the FSM himself could hardly do a better job, given the circumstances. A couple of questions, if you let me."

Look at my CASKET.

"I feel that the time of trials would soon be upon me; would my ship be as ready to serve me as I am ready to serve the Creator?"
"Also, I would gladly offer you my help, but my knowledge is old, and concerns matters spiritual and not mundane. I suppose I could move heavy objects around with a PSI pack, if you would allow me to take one; I could also talk to the troublemakers out here - believe me when I tell you that sometimes one stern word from a priest works better than a thousand angry shouts"

Look sternly, but not unkindly, at the ASSHOLE ((the person, not the actual asshole))

"Otherwise, I would not want to disturb you in your own time of trials."

Ishmael
outlander wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:00 pm
"Thank you, esteemed Engineer. I believe the FSM himself could hardly do a better job, given the circumstances. A couple of questions, if you let me."

Look at my CASKET.

"I feel that the time of trials would soon be upon me; would my ship be as ready to serve me as I am ready to serve the Creator?"
"Also, I would gladly offer you my help, but my knowledge is old, and concerns matters spiritual and not mundane. I suppose I could move heavy objects around with a PSI pack, if you would allow me to take one; I could also talk to the troublemakers out here - believe me when I tell you that sometimes one stern word from a priest works better than a thousand angry shouts"

Look sternly, but not unkindly, at the ASSHOLE ((the person, not the actual asshole))

"Otherwise, I would not want to disturb you in your own time of trials."
You compliment Mara on her work, and after glancing at your CASKET, ask (in a very roundabout way) if your ship is flight-ready: "Would my ship be as ready to serve me as I am ready to serve the Creator?"

Mara furrows her brow. "Good question," Mara says, turning in that direction. "HEY, NESLIE!" she booms, at a volume much louder than you could have anticipated. It sounds like her voice doesn't actually belong to her, at those levels. The guy across the hangar hears her easily over the roar of construction, and waves, obviously not trusting his voice to carry so far. "HOW LONG UNTIL THAT'S DONE?" she shouts, to which Neslie responds by making a few hand signals. Mara gives a thumbs-up and turns back to you. "About five minutes," she says. "If SCAMPS sent you down here, you'll have to wait a few more minutes - she's not ready for combat yet."

You nod. "I would gladly offer you my help, but my knowledge is old, and concerns matters spiritual and not mundane. I suppose I could move heavy objects around with a PSI pack, if you would allow me to take one; I could also talk to the troublemakers out here - believe me when I tell you that sometimes one stern word from a priest works better than a thousand angry shouts." You glare sternly at the person that called her "Meredith". "Otherwise, I would not want to disturb you in your own time of trials."

Mara takes no notice of the glare, instead seeming preoccupied with the work going on behind her. It seems you've slightly overstayed your welcome. "No, we're fine here," she says distantly, following this statement up with an enraged yell at one of the engineers, who apparently have installed the "wrong model" on something. "No problems whatsoever!" she repeats herself. "If you want to know more, I'd suggest you head over to Bryce Mayweather or Guernick Hale - one's a repair guy, the other's an officer with a stick up his ass. You can get the PSI stuff if you want, but I can't guarantee anyone will let you touch anything down here. You'll need to go to the armory for that. ...HEY, ASSHOLE, WHAT THE HELL DO YOU THINK YOU'RE DOING? YOU'RE GOING TO BREAK THAT!" Mara abruptly leaves, heading toward another group of engineers. You're left wondering what to do next. SCAMPS hasn't contacted you yet, so you must still have some time... but probably not much.

((At this point, I can have SCAMPS contact you immediately and tell you to get to your CASKET after it's finished, or you can walk around and see a few more things))

Sigh inwardly.

People here seem sincere and hard-working, even if lacking in faith. Their shells are harsh and crude, but their souls are still those of children, blessed by His eternal light, but not yet knowing what to do with it. If He wants me to trust those people, then so be it; who am I to question His will?

There is one duty I still could perform, though - a duty so important I shouldn't delay it any longer, for He might have decided to summon my sinful soul to His feast already today...

Go back to the medbay
AND ask where the dead are.
Head there
AND read selected few lines from the Letter from ADoS to the Dying:

"A pirate may be made to walk the plank, to be devoured by the hungry sharks below.
A pirate may be marooned on a deserted island an' eventually killed an' eaten by a boar.
A pirate captain may be mutinied against, an' set adrift in a barrel, only to drown when the barrel flips over in rough waters. "

Look around sadly, but kindly.

"You are heading to a better place, with plenty o' pasta an' great oceans to sail upon, and enjoy the Firmament, an' the Beer Volcano, an' the Stripper Factory, and be basked in the light of His eternal love for you. Go in peace, and may his Noodly Appendages welcome you to the Afterlife."

Go to the hangar,
find a place where I don't bother anyone,
AND sit there, waiting to be summoned.

Ishmael
outlander wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:51 pm
Sigh inwardly.

People here seem sincere and hard-working, even if lacking in faith. Their shells are harsh and crude, but their souls are still those of children, blessed by His eternal light, but not yet knowing what to do with it. If He wants me to trust those people, then so be it; who am I to question His will?

There is one duty I still could perform, though - a duty so important I shouldn't delay it any longer, for He might have decided to summon my sinful soul to His feast already today...

Go back to the medbay
AND ask where the dead are.
Head there
AND read selected few lines from the Letter from ADoS to the Dying:

"A pirate may be made to walk the plank, to be devoured by the hungry sharks below.
A pirate may be marooned on a deserted island an' eventually killed an' eaten by a boar.
A pirate captain may be mutinied against, an' set adrift in a barrel, only to drown when the barrel flips over in rough waters. "

Look around sadly, but kindly.

"You are heading to a better place, with plenty o' pasta an' great oceans to sail upon, and enjoy the Firmament, an' the Beer Volcano, an' the Stripper Factory, and be basked in the light of His eternal love for you. Go in peace, and may his Noodly Appendages welcome you to the Afterlife."

Go to the hangar,
find a place where I don't bother anyone,
AND sit there, waiting to be summoned.
You sigh inwardly, watching Mara and the others going about their work. Although the people here lack faith, they at least seem to be hard-working and earnest. You will trust these people, if it is His will... but there is as yet one duty you could still perform - a duty so important, you shouldn't delay it any longer, for He might have decided to summon your sinful soul to His feast already today...

You head back toward the medbay.

~~~

Upon reaching the medbay, you suddenly realize that it no longer exists in any real capacity. It got sheared clean off the bottom of the hull when the ship landed - after multiple major hull breaches during the battle. From what you gather from various passing engineers, they're trying to put it back together. None of them seem to have much time for you, and most of them don't seem to know where the dead are kept. Finally you do find someone who knows - a minister, in fact - or, rather, the minister, Dr. Ernie Latimer. You introduce yourself as Dr. Ishmael, and after a brief discussion on theology, during which time you decide you thoroughly do not like this two-faced multi-faith hooligan, he tells you where the dead are actually taken to: the Recycler.

You are thoroughly horrified.

After excusing yourself, you make your way there with all due haste.

~~~

The lights are dim and flickering.

The vast metallic tanks before you emit a distant bubbling, churning noise as they process whatever biomaterial is inside. They seem to be running on low power - probably because the ship is hardly functional. It's not a good place to end a life... but you suppose that's all the more reason for you to pray for their souls.

You open your Holy Scriptures.

A pirate captain may be mutinied against, an' set adrift in a barrel, only to drown when the barrel flips over in rough waters."

Closing the good book, you turn your eyes up toward the tank, and feel a bit stupid. They can't hear you. They're probably not much more than sludge now, at best. The whole point is to take the biomaterial apart so it can be used for... whatever the hell these people use biomaterial for. But... part of witnessing for the FSM is doing things that aren't always easy. You clear your throat and continue. "You are heading to a better place, with plenty o' pasta an' great oceans to sail upon, and enjoy the Firmament, an' the Beer Volcano, an' the Stripper Factory, and be basked in the light of His eternal love for you," you say. "Go in peace, and may his Noodly Appendages welcome you to the Afterlife."

With that, you stand for a moment in silent reflection and respect, and take your leave.

~~~

On your way to the hangar, your PDA beeps loudly. You pull it out of your pocket, mystified, and tap the screen; immediately, a voice starts shouting at you - a voice you know to be SCAMPS from a few other recordings.

All right, Ishmael, I can't see you on my cameras but I know you're out there somewhere. By now you should've read the docs I downloaded to your PDA, and if you haven't, sucks to be you. I'm not here to hold your hand - in fact, I'm putting you to work. You're going to either Alpha or Beta, because there's no reason not to send out another hand if we can spare a CASKET. They haven't come back crying yet, so I'm guessing the cryo sims actually drilled something akin to military expertise into your heads. Make use of it, or you can rot out there. Get down to the hangar immediately - you're set to take off in two minutes. SCAMPS out.

((Important note: Ishmael is starting half a turn before everyone else. What this means is, I'm going to let you leave the Nemesis early, so you can travel wherever you want in one turn, and immediately start fighting with half a turn's worth of actions. This also means that, starting now, you're allowed to post in the mission thread. Good luck out there.))

The hangar is just as abuzz with activity as before. "Ishmael!" someone shouts - a man standing beside your ship waves his arms at you, and you head in his direction. As you approach, you see a bright flash, and a puff of smoke drifts upwards from the back of the CASKET. The man ignores it entirely. "I'm Hale," he says, shaking your hand. He then points at a wadded-up suit on a little cart beside you. "Suit up fast. You need to be out of here now. After you're done, get in the cockpit and strap in." Without waiting to answer questions, or even wishing you good luck, he turns and leaves.

You pick up the suit and look around. The engineers don't even look at you; they're too busy shouting about your CASKET's antimatter reactor. Apparently, they put it in backwards initially (hopefully by mistake), and it was causing issues - but there's nowhere to change clothes. Clearly, modesty isn't appreciated here. You'll have to change right where you are. What would His Noodliness think of such a thing?

A few minutes later, you're sitting in your cockpit, suited and ready for combat. The items you've purchased are already strapped to your suit in their appropriate holsters. As the canopy closes, the din of the hangar dies down, muffled. Engineers outside make hand motions at you to start up your CASKET, and you do, pressing the appropriate buttons. You've never done this in your life, but somehow, it feels like you've done it a thousand times before. The screens about you flash and light up, the engines sputter and hum behind you. You sit there a moment, realizing how odd it seems that it feels like you've done this a thousand times before... and the comms crackle to life.

It's SCAMPS again. "What are you waiting for? Get moving! Your ship won't fly itself! Take off, head out the launch tube and get up into the sky. I'm transferring you back to Lt. Cho, and don't think she'll let you back before the mission is complete. I expect results. Now, move already!"

Feeling a bit uneasy, you apply power to the thrusters. Your CASKET lifts up from the surface of the hangar, hovering effortlessly. As far as cheap fighters go, it's quite agile. You turn toward the launch tube at the front of the hangar and apply power to the engines; your ship responds accordingly. It's not much longer until you're out of the hangar, accelerating down the launch tube beside one of the people from the other squad - and then you're out into the harsh, bright light of Nanyej's sun.

"Hi!!!! It's a surprisingly chipper voice, belonging to a woman you haven't had the pleasure (or displeasure) to meet. "You're Ishmael, right? ...Oh, wait, this says Doctor Ishmael!! It's so nice to meet you, Doctor!" The voice giggles. "I wish I had time to get to know you, but SCAMPS wanted me to get you out there in a hurry. He said you already read up on the briefing, so I'll just give a quick summary, okay? Great! So, Squad Alpha and Beta are split up right now, and they're both out of range. Alpha went up to the north to get the stellaplex from Huhoba, and Beta went back down to the nacelle. I haven't heard from either squad in about... twelve minutes. A lot can happen in that time... I sure hope nobody has died yet! Anyway, just fly low, and you'll be just fine! I'm here for anything if you need me! Stay safe out theeerrrreeee!"

You gun the engines, rocketing off down the dusty, orange-tinted canyon. Above the mountains to the north, you see a fierce battle taking place between hiltorel fighters and REKT veterans - you keep your distance, hoping none of them try to attack, and speed towards your objective.

Welcome to REKT.

((You may now post in the mission thread. This thread will be locked for now.))

Your head starts to clear. The world brightens. Sounds grow louder as you emerge from the darkness, as though from the murky depths of an ocean.

You don't remember much. Something about combat? You remember fighting someone. The memory sticks in your mind.

"He's coming around," a voice echoes, vaguely audible. "Get those machines moved so he can breathe."

Gene Weber. That's who you are. It's coming back now. You remember New Earth...

"That's it! That's it, he's done! Remove the pipes, let's pull him out!"

You feel soft, like you're floating. It's a peaceful feeling... like clouds, or feathers. You feel weightless. If only it would last forever... it's so much more peaceful than your life has been up to this point.

~~~

Of course, it doesn't. Your world erupts with a cacophony of bright lights and blaring sounds - alarms, people talking over each other, and nurses and doctors yelling at you. Sitting up suddenly, you choke, gagging, and vomit - into a conveniently-held bucket. Looking up from it, your head swims, but you make out the face of a nurse, smiling knowingly. You know that look - this isn't your first rodeo.

"Welcome back, Gene Weber!" someone says. It's a man beside you - a doctor with black hair, stood on end. "I'm sure you have questions, but we've done this before, so let me see. Year: 3152. You've been in cryo for somewhere around thirty years, according to our records. We didn't actually know you were in there, and no, you're not entitled to sue, so don't start yelling about it. The rest of the galaxy thinks you're already dead - which you really ought to be. You aren't, though, and we took the time to bring you back because we have work for you."

You cough, and spit up some kind of thick, green, mucous substance. The nurse holds out a tissue, and you wipe your mouth. "Work?" you ask, still bewildered.

The doc nods. "See, apparently cryo had you running through combat simulations on and off, the whole time you were under. ...yes, that look in your eyes, you know what you're in for, don't you. Anyway, here's a PDA -" at this, one is rudely thrust into your hands "- and you have a few minutes before SCAMPS calls you down to the hangar. We'll need you to clear out of here, we need this bed for our other patients.

It's only just now that you get a good look around the room. It's not a room at all - it's... well, it looks like the engineering area of a large ship. Large, open, full of free air, with catwalks, balconies, ladders and open-air elevators all around you. ...Wait, engineering?

As the nurse helps you off the operating table, you notice all the wounded people around you - many of them missing limbs - slumped all around the walls, or on makeshift tables of their own. You realize - this place is being used as a makeshift infirmary. At this point, you have no idea what could've happened here, but it must've been horrific... And you glance at your PDA - the one the doc just handed you. It has a list of articles highlighted on the main screen - all of them labeled as written by someone called SCAMPS. They might hold the answers.

Right now, though, you want to die.

I frantically gasp for air as I'm helped off the operating table by one of the nurses, still trying to acclimate to my new surroundings. Where the hell am I? And why the hell is it 3152? Those are questions I wish I'd had an answer to, but they did mention I'd be called down to the hangar by this SCAMPS character in a few, whoever or whatever the hell they are. They did mention something about a PDA, and there are some important documents – or so I've been told. It'd be wise to read that as well.
Take a few moments to calm myself down. Ask the nearest medical person for something to drink, preferably a strong liquor. If that's not available, glare at them and ask for a glass of water instead. Meanwhile, turn on the PDA and browse through the mission briefing.

Gene
TotallyNotHuman wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:14 pm
I frantically gasp for air as I'm helped off the operating table by one of the nurses, still trying to acclimate to my new surroundings. Where the hell am I? And why the hell is it 3152? Those are questions I wish I'd had an answer to, but they did mention I'd be called down to the hangar by this SCAMPS character in a few, whoever or whatever the hell they are. They did mention something about a PDA, and there are some important documents – or so I've been told. It'd be wise to read that as well.
Take a few moments to calm myself down. Ask the nearest medical person for something to drink, preferably a strong liquor. If that's not available, glare at them and ask for a glass of water instead. Meanwhile, turn on the PDA and browse through the mission briefing.
You feel terrible, and lean up against a wall while you try to calm yourself down. Where the hell are you? And why the hell is it 3152?

"Excuse me?" you ask, taping a passing orderly on the shoulder. "Do we have anything to drink - particularly a strong liquor?" You sound hopeful. A good, strong drink would really do you some good right now.

The man shakes his head. "No, son. Right now we're down to mediwater - or just plain water."

You give him a scowl, but he just shrugs. "Water, then."

The man starts to scoff and takes a few steps as though he's going to walk away, but then, rethinking, comes back over and pulls a bottle from his pocket. "Here, I don't need it right now, you can have it." He smiles a bit, like he's doing a good deed, and then, after giving you a mildly uncomfortable nod, leaves.

After taking off the cap, you take a sip. "Beh," you mutter. Water is a poor alternative to liquor. Grunting discontentedly, you take out your PDA and start looking through the different documents.

((This is the part where Gene would read the first post to this thread, and could also read the Hiltorel: Enlightening thread (first post). Also available: the conference room briefing OP. After that, you and Gene should both be mostly caught up, as far as Gene knows in-story, and you can head around wherever or do whatever you like - with some slight restrictions.))

((Thanks, Tal. I've read the relevant posts already. :thumbup:))
It suddenly occurs to me that I'm not in any usual combat situation. Half the ship's fukced up and the food stores are in a sorry state. I still want booze but the water helps a bit. Perhaps I'm actually craving food. The food would definitely help if that SCAMPS character wanted me to get my ass to the hangar.
Finish off the bottle of water and head to the mess hall to grab a quick snack.

((Really, really sorry about this! I didn't realize you'd responded somehow. Not sure how that happened. :? I spent most of yesterday playing a game with Naed, so that might be part of it.))
Gene
TotallyNotHuman wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:15 pm
((Thanks, Tal. I've read the relevant posts already. :thumbup:))
It suddenly occurs to me that I'm not in any usual combat situation. Half the ship's fukced up and the food stores are in a sorry state. I still want booze but the water helps a bit. Perhaps I'm actually craving food. The food would definitely help if that SCAMPS character wanted me to get my ass to the hangar.
Finish off the bottle of water and head to the mess hall to grab a quick snack.
You finish off the bottle of water and head to the mess hall to grab a quick snack.

~~~

The Nemesis turns out to be pretty large. Starting from engineering, you make your way toward the front of the ship, following the signs painted on the walls and floors. During the process, this takes you up a fairly tall ladder, because the elevator is apparently out of order... but the rest of the path is fairly straightforward - just down a single, long hallway. As you walk, you get a good look at your surroundings.

The ship is a wreck. The lights, already dim, occasionally flicker. At one point, they go out completely - and as the ship apparently doesn't have windows, this leaves you in complete darkness for a few seconds, before they kick back in. No one around you seems particularly perturbed by this, so you assume it must happen with some degree of frequency. At any rate, you continue, eventually passing the supply offices, computer rooms, battle bridge, armory and others before reaching a (thankfully functional) liftshaft that takes you to one of the middle decks, fairly close to the mess hall.

~~~

"Okay, who's next?"

There was a short line of two people in front of you, but you now stand in front of the mess hall's cafeteria counter, where a frizzy-haired woman in her mid-to-late thirties is trying to give people rations and... apparently, more water. Her nametag flashes a name: Brenna Melvin. It sounds vaguely familiar, and you're pondering this oddity as the person in front of you takes their mediwater and leaves. As you're up next, you force it to the back of your mind, step up, and make your request.

Brenna raises an eyebrow. "A snack?" she muses, mildly incredulous. "You want a snack? Um... Honey, we don't have 'snacks'. I can get you a ration bar if you want, because that's really all we have right now..." A ration bar is slid across the counter to you: apparently, burrito-flavored. "Found these earlier, hope you don't mind," she says, by way of an explanation. "It's a good thing, too, because I thought we were out. We'll have enough rations for almost a month, if we're careful, but not much more than that... and that's taking into account the reduced crew size."

Things just don't sound good no matter where you go.

Online Now