Return to “REKT”

Re: REKT: The Nemesis (Battlecarrier)

Frank sits at the table, slowly sipping his Mediwater. Even as far as sports drinks were concerned, this drink tasted worse. But it should at least bring a bit of energy back.

It had to suffice anyway until he trusted himself enough not to throw up immediately when he wanted to eat one of those rations.

Looking around though, Frank managed to focus on the general situation. SCAMPS certainly didn't exagerate the Nemesis' condition, the mess hall alone looked like it could collapse any moment now.

He felt just a bit bad for leaving Caleb without saying anything, but on the other side...All Frank knew about him was that he seemed able to handle combat situations when they arise. Nothing much else about him.
For all Frank knew, Caleb could stab his back at the first opportunity. A dark thought, and hopefully wrong. But Frank had that happen already, better to stay cautious.

Taking another sip, Frank stands up carefully and approaches one of the staff working in the mess hall.
"Excuse me? I know the situation is bad, but i'm not exactly sure where I can help with the clean-up...
If you could direct me somewhere where i can be useful for now? I have quite a bit of experience with getting a place back into better condition, be it cleaning or minor repairs. I still feel a bit weak after just waking up though..."
Last edited by F4wk35 on Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Apparently, sometimes stuff might happen.
- - - - - - - -

Frank and I sit at the table and nurse our drinks, somehow managing to create one of the most awkward silences I've ever experienced. I wrack my cryo-addled brain for something to say, and just when I come up with the perfect conversation starter he apparently decides he's had enough of awkwardly sitting in silence and leaves to go fix something. Smooth, Caleb.

I down the rest of my water and decide that Frank had the right idea. I remember SCAMPS saying something about the bunkroom being trashed, and though I just got through sleeping for a couple of decades, I imagine I'll want to make use of it at some point. Might as well not sleep in a "smoking pile of shit." I decide to hope it's not as bad as the mess hall, and continue deluding myself like this on my way to the bunkroom, knowing full well that I'm lying to myself. I reflect that it's rather sad that a trained soldier could be this bad about doing repairs, but hey- I didn't sign up to do heavy construction work or cleanup. I signed up to shoot space pirates in the face... Some good that goal did me. Eh, a bit of hard labor can't be that bad, right?

I head over to the bunkroom to see if there's anything I can do to help fix the place up.

Head back to the cafeteria
if I don't have any mediwater left from before
-Order some
Discreetly mix the mediwater with some alcohol
Take a few shots of it right away
if I see a group of my teammates/people from the first room sitting somewhere together
-Sit down with them and introduce myself: "Howdy there, friends! Name's Buck, pleased to meet ya!"

Give Janus a firm, energetic handshake.

"Pleased to make your acquaintance, Mr. Schernz! I must say, you're a fine judge of character.
Talking to Dennis seems like a must. I'm sure there have been many changes in weapons technology since I was frozen. Even an extremely talented man such myself would do well to familiarize themselves with such changes.

How about these Mara and Guernick fellows? Whereabouts are they? And what should I expect from them behavior wise?"
Breaker of fortune cookies

Saoirse wrote:"Planning something? Not in those 10 minutes I've been awake so far, no... fixing the bunks doesn't sound like a bad idea. Better to do it now than when we actually want to sleep in them... when my mom asked me to switch bedsheets I'd postpone that until I'd have to go to sleep and then I had to do it when I was already tired and didn't feel like it at all anymore and...
erm. So, yes. That.
Oh, and I guess I should drop by the armory, as I have peculiar equipment needs. I hope they didn't lose all their PSI gear in the battle, it's not exactly standard stuff."
"Sure thing boss!"
Go help sparky fix the bunks (Bob doesn't really try to repair them, he merely moves them around, puts them in place and follows instructions)
Then follow saoirse to the armory and once we arrive start staring with a dumb look at whatever PSI gear they present to Saoirse
LT Wiki | IRC | REKT Wiki
Idiots. Idiots everywhere. ~Dr. Cha0zz

Lemons
Spoiler:      SHOW
Triggerhappy wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:47 pm
Glance at the details of how we got shot down.
Read more on the status of the ship.
Labs. Interesting. Maybe weapons there. May need help. Gain access to better firepower. Help scientists. Respectable cause. Gain more information.
Engine room. Experiencing drain. Unknow drain. Disconnected power plugs don't drain, they shut off. Interesting. May look at to discover source of drain.
VR Room. Minor damage. Might help with repair. Good source of practice.

Compose list on the Datapad:
- Research Labs: Help, repair, volunteer for tech in return?
- Engine Drain: Unknown problem, interesting fix.
- VR Room: Easy fix. Probably.

Look up what weapons and equipment I have have available to me for when I get sent out into combat, remember for later visit to the labs.
Finish the food, dispose of the waste, ( remember my manners ) thank the person behind the counter.
Head to the research labs ( avoiding the more crowded halls ).

At the labs, look around for damage and for any unlisted equipment ( in particular, weapons ) that could be of use to me.
Volunteer to help with repairs or otherwise if they need help.
After a bit of searching on the PDA, you uncover the details of how the Nemesis was shot down. Details on the datapad are rather sparse, but from what you can tell, the Nemesis was ambushed by enemy forces as they orbited Nanyej, so suddenly that the Nemesis didn't even have time to raise shields. Initial casualties were high, as a small fleet of ships ripped the Nemesis apart. SCAMPS took control of the situation and had the ship piloted into the atmosphere. You're surprised it actually managed to land at all.

You then look up the standard gear for REKT missions. It's really not hard to find. You could get to it from the start screen. You browse it for a while, looking at all the different standard bits and bobs as you finish your food, which disappears all too quickly. With it finished, you dispose of your garbage, and give the woman behind the counter (Brenna, you think it was) a polite word of thanks as you leave.

~~~

The walk to the labs is rather short - it's just a short ride up a gravity shaft and a brisk walk down a couple hallways. You've prepared yourself - you know exactly what your plans are. You're going to look for damage and equipment that needs repaired... and possibly nab a few weapons along the way. You are not, however, prepared to the absolute devastation that awaits. The upper floors are completely torn through, and the outer hull completely breached, ripped wide open. The scientists protected from the outside world with nothing but a thick plastic sheet as they scurry about, trying to recover equipment, experiments, and stray documents - or what of them didn't get spaced during the breach and re-entry. It's an absolute disaster, although some of the side offices seem to be at least partially intact.

Someone bumps into you roughly from the side - a young woman with a small face, dark hair and glasses. She stumbles and drops the large piece of equipment she's carrying, which fortunately just misses your feet. Your side aches a little from the impact; you wouldn't be entirely surprised if it bruised. "Oh my gods, I'm so sorry," she exclaims apologetically, trying to straighten the glasses on her face as she bends down to pick up the scientific gear. It looks like something for analyzing materials, or perhaps samples - and it's not in the best shape, either. She looks up at you as she tries (clumsily) to get a firm grasp on the device. "Are you okay? I'm so sorry, I didn't see you there." Then she seems to do a double-take. "Your clothes are orange - you're one of the people we took out of cryo," she says, as recognition dawns on her.

"I'm looking for something I can help with," you explain. "Do you need any help?"

"Are you an engineer?" she asks, grunting as she strains her muscles to lift the large machine. She stumbles backwards under the weight as she heaves it up to chest level, but you step out and steady her with a hand on her arm before she trips. "Thank you," she says gratefully, a little abashed. "I don't know what you could help with, but if you want to help me with this sample analyzer, I'd be extremely grateful. We're trying to get all the equipment out of here in case they bombard the area again. We've already lost so much, I..." She stops short; the device slips in her hands, and she sways unsteadily.

Miles
Detritus wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:08 pm
I notice other inmates leaving the room, so I guess I can too.

Get up, and go to the cafeteria.
On the way there, look around and take note of the state of the ship and the state of the people.
Once at the cafeteria, order water and a tortilla filled with chicken.
You get up and leave the little storage area, walking down the long, wide, claustrophobic hallways. They're fairly straight - you get a clear view of nearly the whole length of the ship. It seems like it would be easy to get lost, but no - you just follow the signs on the floor. They show quite clearly where everything is. They do vibrate on occasion, though - you hear fighters flying overhead, and occasionally the sound of a point-defense cannon. However, you don't get blown up on the way to the mess hall. That's fortunate.

The mess hall, however, does look like it got blown up. All the tables and chairs are piled to one side. You see people wearing orange jumpsuits like yourself sitting at a few hastily re-righted tables, eating food, and so make up your mind to get some of your own.

...except there's no one at the counter.

Typical.

"Hello?" you ask.

A voice responds - female, and somewhat distant. Also typical. "I'll be with you in a minute!" she calls out. This phrase is punctuated by a large crash, enough to make the floor on which you stand vibrate. "Oh gods," you hear her groan.

It doesn't take her too much longer to show up, rushing out of a room off to the side and walking hurriedly up to the counter. She's a middle-aged woman, with a shock of brown hair tied behind her head, as straggled as she seems to feel. "Sorry about the wait, just trying to get things back in order," she apologizes. "All the engineers are working on the hull and engines, so I have to do all the repairs down here myself... and my degree was in the culinary arts, not working with the machinery used for it." She attempts a laugh, but it falls flat. "Is there anything I can get you? ...Nothing fancy, please, we're out of almost everything."

"Just water and a chicken tortilla," you assure her. "Nothing special."

She bites her lip and frowns. "I'm really sorry, but... well, I can get you a pack of chicken-flavored ration bars, if that's okay? I don't have any tortilla-flavored, or I'd get you that. Water I can do." She doesn't wait to ask if it's okay; she happens to have both stashed directly under the counter. She places them in front of you. "If that's not good, I could get you something else... we have salad-flavored rations, and fruit-flavored rations, if you'd rather... and still plenty of chocolate rations. They're supposed to be for morale, but I wouldn't recommend you try one." She gives an anxious smile.

Just then, someone interrupts, coming up from behind you. "Excuse me, Brenna," the man says. "I know the situation is bad, but I'm not exactly sure where I can help with the clean-up..." He goes on to offer his assistance, and "Brenna" seems overjoyed by it. You step to the side, already forgotten.

One thing is clear: it doesn't matter how long you sleep. Nothing ever changes.

Frank
F4wk35 wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:25 pm
Frank sits at the table, slowly sipping his Mediwater. Even as far as sports drinks were concerned, this drink tasted worse. But it should at least bring a bit of energy back.

It had to suffice anyway until he trusted himself enough not to throw up immediately when he wanted to eat one of those rations.

Looking around though, Frank managed to focus on the general situation. SCAMPS certainly didn't exagerate the Nemesis' condition, the mess hall alone looked like it could collapse any moment now.

Taking another sip, Frank stands up carefully and approaches one of the staff working in the mess hall.
"Excuse me? I know the situation is bad, but i'm not exactly sure where I can help with the clean-up...
If you could direct me somewhere where i can be useful for now? I have quite a bit of experience with getting a place back into better condition, be it cleaning or minor repairs. I still feel a bit weak after just waking up though..."
You stand up, walking toward the counter. Brenna seems to be the only staff member in the whole area, so you figure she's the one you'll want to talk to. She's just finishing up with another customer - dressed in orange, as you are. Must be another crew member - you see the name "MILES" emblazoned across the back of his jumpsuit. As Miles steps away, you step up. "Excuse me, Brenna?" you ask her. "I know the situation is bad, but I'm not exactly sure where I can help with the clean-up... If you could direct me somewhere where I can be useful for now? I have quite a bit of experience with getting a place back into better condition, be it cleaning or minor repairs. I still feel a bit weak after just waking up, though..."

Brenna seems positively overjoyed. Her face lights up with an eager radiance, and even takes on a strong semblance of what must have been her younger beauty. "Do you mean it?" she asks, as though she's afraid to believe you. "Oh, FSM's sauce, I thought for sure this place would be in terrible condition for months! I tried getting an engineer - even just one - to try to help me set some of the equipment back up. I don't have much in the way of supplies, but we do have some food, though most of it has gone bad... SCAMPS wouldn't let me bring even one worker down here to try to get it fixed up - he said every second counts, and went on about... well, you know how SCAMPS is," she laughs, opening a little door in the side of the counter for you to pass through. Then, a finger to her lips, she pauses: "Well, actually, you probably don't, if you haven't been awake that long. And your muscles do look a bit thin still, but I can help set things back up," she assures you.

It's a little while before her enthusiasm dies down enough to realize that you hadn't actually said you wanted to help her in particular. Nervously, she swallows her premature joy and explains that there are several areas in need of work - mostly to do with engineering, and possibly some places in the hangar as well. "But if you really want to help here, there's plenty to do here," she offers hopefully. "I can't promise as much in return, but... I'd be very grateful, and I'd make sure you get the best servings if we ever get any real food..." Even as she says it, she seems to realize her offer isn't so tempting.

Saoirse, Caleb, and Bob
((Sparky not included; could not figure out if Sparky was wanting to come along as well))
Dinosawer wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:50 pm
Cha0zz wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:24 am
firedude1218 wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:41 am
"So, you guys planning on doing anything? The PDA says the bunks are in bad shape, I was thinking about maybe seeing if I could fix those up again."
"Doing something? ... eeeuh"
Bob glances at Saoirse
"Boss?"
"Are we planning something?"
"Planning something? Not in those 10 minutes I've been awake so far, no... fixing the bunks doesn't sound like a bad idea. Better to do it now than when we actually want to sleep in them... when my mom asked me to switch bedsheets I'd postpone that until I'd have to go to sleep and then I had to do it when I was already tired and didn't feel like it at all anymore and...
erm. So, yes. That.
Oh, and I guess I should drop by the armory, as I have peculiar equipment needs. I hope they didn't lose all their PSI gear in the battle, it's not exactly standard stuff."

Noting Sparky doesn't seem inclined to further conversation, I do as stated and head out, together with Bob, towards the bunks.
Once there, I (together with Bob) clean up 2 bunks and surrounding room so we can sleep when needed.

That done, I try to find whoever is at the armory, and ask them
"Excuse me, I was wondering - do you have any PSI equipment despite the battle and losses and stuff?
It's not exactly normal equipment to have and I can't use anything else and I have no combat experience out of VR so I'm kinda worried..."
cuisinart8 wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:15 pm
Frank and I sit at the table and nurse our drinks, somehow managing to create one of the most awkward silences I've ever experienced. I wrack my cryo-addled brain for something to say, and just when I come up with the perfect conversation starter he apparently decides he's had enough of awkwardly sitting in silence and leaves to go fix something. Smooth, Caleb.

I down the rest of my water and decide that Frank had the right idea. I remember SCAMPS saying something about the bunkroom being trashed, and though I just got through sleeping for a couple of decades, I imagine I'll want to make use of it at some point. Might as well not sleep in a "smoking pile of shit." I decide to hope it's not as bad as the mess hall, and continue deluding myself like this on my way to the bunkroom, knowing full well that I'm lying to myself. I reflect that it's rather sad that a trained soldier could be this bad about doing repairs, but hey- I didn't sign up to do heavy construction work or cleanup. I signed up to shoot space pirates in the face... Some good that goal did me. Eh, a bit of hard labor can't be that bad, right?

I head over to the bunkroom to see if there's anything I can do to help fix the place up.
Cha0zz wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:00 pm
Saoirse wrote:"Planning something? Not in those 10 minutes I've been awake so far, no... fixing the bunks doesn't sound like a bad idea. Better to do it now than when we actually want to sleep in them... when my mom asked me to switch bedsheets I'd postpone that until I'd have to go to sleep and then I had to do it when I was already tired and didn't feel like it at all anymore and...
erm. So, yes. That.
"Sure thing boss!"
Go help sparky fix the bunks (Bob doesn't really try to repair them, he merely moves them around, puts them in place and follows instructions)
Then follow saoirse to the armory and once we arrive start staring with a dumb look at whatever PSI gear they present to Saoirse
Saoirse, Bob, and Caleb take it upon themselves to head down to the bunks... although the former two have yet to become formally acquainted with the latter, or vice versa. Caleb in particular is feeling less-than-good about his conversational skills, so while Bob and Saoirse walk down the hall, chattering loudly amongst themselves, Caleb hangs somewhat behind, letting them lead.

As the little trio arrives at their destination - the bunk areas of the Nemesis - they come to realize that they're not in that bad of shape. ...At least, the ones at the top. As the trio floats down the gravity shaft, they see the bunkhouses become more and more disarrayed, until even the walls have torn themselves away from the floors. Lower down, there's even evidence of deck-breaches, as noted by the strange odor of the Nanyejian dust and atmosphere. The bottom of the gravity shaft is, in fact, a twisted, melted wreck of scrap and dirt. The little group makes up their minds to clear out an area on one of the mid-to-higher areas, and float back up the shaft to one of those decks to get started.

The place is eerily quiet. This far down in the ship, even the noise of fighters above are muffled by the thick walls, and the noise from engineering almost nonexistent. The only sounds they can hear clearly are their own footsteps, their breath, and of course Bob's loud exclamations on how quiet it is. They begin walking down the endless rows of corridors, passing one door after the next, and begin to realize they really have no idea which bunkrooms are still in use.

This, of course, is when the party is visited by a mysterious figure, same as they would be if it was a book or a movie. Saoirse seems about to make a comment on this when she realizes the woman approaching them is actually a bit bow-backed, and holding a mop, of all things, using it like a cane or walking stick. Saoirse steps forward, bold as ever, and asks if there are any unused bunks. The old woman smiles, nods silently, and hobbles down towards a nearby hallway junction. The group follows.

Before long, she reaches the intersection and points at a nearby door with the handle of her mop.

Caleb
Saoirse and Bob leave at the old woman's instruction. Bob wrenches the door open (he really is a bit of a giant) and they enter, leaving you alone in the hallway... but for your mysterious benefactor.

She speaks, giving you a slight start. Her voice matches her appearance - old, dry and cracked. "You're not with them, are you." She doesn't seem to be looking for an answer, as she goes on, "If you aren't looking for a place to sleep, boy, why are you here?" She clasps the mop between her hands and leans on it.

"I'm looking for work," you shrug. "I was wondering if there was anything I could do to help fix the place up."

The lady smiles - a bit of a smirk. "That's not why you're here, either. I can see it in your eyes."

"See what?"

"You're lost," she croons quietly. Then, she turns and starts hobbling down a side hallway. Without a word, you follow, and she talks to you over her shoulder as you walk. "You can call me Mama Lydia. Most everyone does," she cackles. "If you were really down here to clean things, you would've started already," she says soon, explaining her thoughts. "If you were here because them were your friends, you'd've followed along with them, but you stayed out here with me."

You say nothing. You're not entirely sure you feel comfortable around the little old woman... not like she could hurt you. She's fumbling with a door, trying to get it open. It seems stuck. She wedges her mop handle in the crack and gives it a push, and then hammers her fist on the metal a couple of times. It's no good.

"Now, I may not have the best eyes in the world, but I can tell my colors just fine," she says, pulling her mop back and tapping the end on the door. The door crackles with electricity; the lights in the hallway flare for a moment before fading, and just like that, the door is sliding open. She looks at you and levels a gaze directly in your eyes. "And you're wearing orange... just like them, but you're not part of their group. You're an outcast, ain't you, boy? Even among your own kind... Jus' like old Mama Lydia."

Saoirse & Bob
Saoirse and Bob leave Caleb and that strange old woman out in the hallway, and get to work cleaning up the little bunkroom. There's four bunks in it - or were, at some point. As it stands, they've all tumbled themselves against a wall. There are bits of luggage strewn about the room as well - this room wasn't always vacant, and in fact, probably hasn't been long.

With Saoirse's sharp eyes and Bob's great strength, the duo manage to get the room cleaned up (at least enough to be livable) in no time. The toilet is busted, as is the little shower stall, but there's no help for it - at least not without plumbing tools and someone mechanically-minded, so eventually, they decide to leave the rest of it for later and head up to the Armory. Saoirse is hoping to get a bit of her gear, and Bob... well, Bob's just his friendly old self, but he could probably use a bit of weaponry too - it could be handy in a pinch, Saoirse figures, and she knows he can handle himself pretty well anyway.

~~~

The armory is - surprisingly enough - completely open to the rest of the ship. Although it's insulated with thick blast doors (still functioning, too), they don't make any effort to stop you - "they" being what few personnel remain and aren't working elsewhere.

"Welcome!" someone says from behind. You both turn, and lay eyes on an older man with a tight face and well-manicured white beard, wearing a dark green ballpark cap. He comes up and shakes the hands of both of you individually. "I hear you're our new recruits! Excllent to see you down here, lad, and you lass. Mr. Hoffman, Chief Armory Officer at your service."

Saoirse wastes no time in getting to the point. "Do you have any PSI equipment despite the battle and losses and stuff?" she asks. The corner of Mr. Hoffman's mouth gives a nervous twitch at this, but Saoirse doesn't seem to notice, continuing, "It's not exactly normal equipment to have and I can't use anything else and I have no combat experience out of VR so I'm kinda worried..."

"Whoa, lassie!" Hoffman laughs, holding up his hands at Saoirse's verbal deluge. "Slow down there, aye? What kind of thing were you looking for? We have some PSI equipment, for sure, for sure, but some of it got lost during the deck breaches." He points above him to illustrate - you see that the ceiling has been recently repaired with bright, shiny new metal that doesn't match the old, weathered grunge of the walls around it. "Just tell me what you need and I'll get to it. If we don't have it, I can get... or I should be able to get..." He pauses. His mouth twitches again, almost frowning. "Well, I'll try to get it for you, lass."

Buck
Hapchazzard wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:24 am
Head back to the cafeteria
if I don't have any mediwater left from before
-Order some
Discreetly mix the mediwater with some alcohol
Take a few shots of it right away
if I see a group of my teammates/people from the first room sitting somewhere together
-Sit down with them and introduce myself: "Howdy there, friends! Name's Buck, pleased to meet ya!"
You head back to the cafeteria with your mediwater and ethanol, mix yourself up a nice drink, and take a shot. The quality of the mediwater seems immeasurably improved by the addition of alcohol - with some ice and a good strong shake, it would be almost top-rate low-quality booze. The strawberry lends a great character to the beverage, and the little bit of sour tang from the medicine in the water adds just the perfect finishing touch.

Of course, it's not long before you're a bit too tipsy to make such observations like the connoisseur you are. That's okay, though - the drink seems to get better with every sip. What's not okay is the fact that you seem to be the only one left in the mess hall. It's... somewhat unexpected.

Brom
Hema wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:53 pm
Give Janus a firm, energetic handshake.

"Pleased to make your acquaintance, Mr. Schernz! I must say, you're a fine judge of character.
Talking to Dennis seems like a must. I'm sure there have been many changes in weapons technology since I was frozen. Even an extremely talented man such myself would do well to familiarize themselves with such changes.

How about these Mara and Guernick fellows? Whereabouts are they? And what should I expect from them behavior wise?"
Schernz gives a broad smile at your enthusiasm. "Dennis is a cool guy, yeah," he assures you. "Tell him I sent you, he might take a liking to you, though he does to most people. As to Mara and Guernick... Well, Guernick is pretty busy, most of the time, so he may not really have much time to talk. If you talk to him, keep it short, or you'll get on his bad side pretty fast. As to Mara... well. She's..." He pauses, thinking. "I don't really know how to describe her. Energetic would be one word, I suppose. Bold might be another. Definitely on top of things... or not, I don't know, she seems to be at once on top of things and also has a habit of everything falling apart all around her. Dennis would probably like you the best, I think. For him, head over to the Armory. The others are in the Hangar."
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

"Okay. Thank you, ma'am."

Take the ration bars and the water.

Carefully upright a table, and fix two chairs for it.
Sit at the table
Take a cautious bite of a ration bar, and if it is suitable, eat it and the others.
Wash the bars down with the water.

Look over the room, and assess the other inmates, but don't stare at any of them for too long.
I am Groot.
Please don't take my advice. You will wind up in jail if you do.
For some reason, I feel obliged to display how many people have talked in IRC over the past 2 hours: Image :problem:
:ugeek:

(( Throughout this whole turn I am assuming that my +2 Gen Knowledge is alive and strong. Feel free to make a fool of me if it fails though :P (not like you need permission to do so either) ))

"Gladly."
Help the lady with the sample analyzer (probably just take it from her an put it wherever she tells me to).
Sample analyzer. Recognize series. DiUrt 7 series. Unknown gen. Must be new. I am out of date. In cryo too long.
"Home-brewed engineer. At best. Out of date with new equipment, sadly. Looks like a DiUrt 7 analyzer, but already don't know its generation. Sturdy thing. The sort I would expect to survive this."
Notice the damage on the analyzer.
"Check rear panel, under the radiator. Radiation unit comes loose in these DiUrt Sevens very often. Likely came loose. Easy fix. Everything else should be intact. Alexei. Nice to meet you."
Get acquainted with the lady, an continue helping her and the other lab people any way I can.
Make inquiry on mil-tech: "Big fight all around. Was was hoping wizard people here at labs have cards up sleeves. Anything I can help bring to action?"
Keep helping the people for a while. The labs, even ruined, feel more like home than the rest of this crash-landed bucket.

Talvieno wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:10 pm
"Whoa, lassie!" Hoffman laughs, holding up his hands at Saoirse's verbal deluge. "Slow down there, aye? What kind of thing were you looking for? We have some PSI equipment, for sure, for sure, but some of it got lost during the deck breaches." He points above him to illustrate - you see that the ceiling has been recently repaired with bright, shiny new metal that doesn't match the old, weathered grunge of the walls around it. "Just tell me what you need and I'll get to it. If we don't have it, I can get... or I should be able to get..." He pauses. His mouth twitches again, almost frowning. "Well, I'll try to get it for you, lass."
"Thanks, I appreciate that... must be hard, keeping everyone equipped in this situation.
So, what I had in VR worked fairly well... a whacky spinny staff thing on a quick slot thingy, and a PSI pack with an electro, stasis and gravity amp. If you have that.
Actually, those might be handy to help around in the ship if anything needs to be moved forcefully, or electrified or something...
Oh, and do you happen to know what happened to our personal belongings? Or who I need to ask that? I know it's stupid right now but I kinda miss my bagpipes..."
Warning: do not ask about physics unless you really want to know about physics.
The LT IRC / Alternate link || The REKT Wiki || PUDDING

Brenna wrote:Brenna seems positively overjoyed. Her face lights up with an eager radiance, and even takes on a strong semblance of what must have been her younger beauty. "Do you mean it?" she asks, as though she's afraid to believe you. "Oh, FSM's sauce, I thought for sure this place would be in terrible condition for months! I tried getting an engineer - even just one - to try to help me set some of the equipment back up. I don't have much in the way of supplies, but we do have some food, though most of it has gone bad... SCAMPS wouldn't let me bring even one worker down here to try to get it fixed up - he said every second counts, and went on about... well, you know how SCAMPS is," she laughs, opening a little door in the side of the counter for you to pass through. Then, a finger to her lips, she pauses: "Well, actually, you probably don't, if you haven't been awake that long. And your muscles do look a bit thin still, but I can help set things back up," she assures you.
Just a bit surprised by her sudden enthusiasm, Frank gives Brenna a warm smile.

"Miss, Brenna, please! I'm no engineer and never been actually strong! But I've worked as a janitor at a number of companies and universities and I completely understand you here. Top-ups always had the opinion that they could put our situation on the back-burner for an undefined time. Well, of course they never had a situation like this on their hands..."

Frank's smile slips noticably as he motions to the mess hall's condition with one hand. Composing himself with a sigh, he continues:

"And I suspect that I won't be all that useful in the hangars or the higher-end engineering works anyway...So I'll rather stick to what I know."
Brenna wrote:"But if you really want to help here, there's plenty to do here," she offers hopefully. "I can't promise as much in return, but... I'd be very grateful, and I'd make sure you get the best servings if we ever get any real food..." Even as she says it, she seems to realize her offer isn't so tempting.
With a serious face, Frank nods to her.

"I really appreciate the offer, but I suggest we keep the food situation off the table for now. The engineers and fighter pilots need those more urgently than me! And I'll have to make up for all the time I didn't accomplish my duties for the great dust bunny! Just tell me where my help is needed the most here and I'll see about it. I can even jump in at the counter if you want?"

Offer Brenna my assistance with everything around the mess hall and the area behind the counters.
Assist with repairs and cleaning.
Also offer her to take over at the counter for a bit if Brenna deems it neccessary.
Apparently, sometimes stuff might happen.
- - - - - - - -

Well, this "Mama Lydia" may be a creepy old lady, but she certainly is perceptive. To a degree, of course- the orange jumpsuits are not very subtle.

"An outcast, huh? I guess you could say that."

I give her an appraising gaze. I don't exactly trust the old woman, but I probably won't get much done here now anyway. Hopefully the girl and the giant managed to throw something together. I guess I don't have much better to do than follow Lydia... By the pasta, I really am lost, aren't I?

"So we're outcasts. But who are you, really? You're not wearing a jumpsuit. Are you not a prisoner here?"

I follow Lydia as she walks through the bunk area.

Dinosawer wrote:
Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:08 am
Talvieno wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:10 pm
"Thanks, I appreciate that... must be hard, keeping everyone equipped in this situation.
So, what I had in VR worked fairly well... a whacky spinny staff thing on a quick slot thingy, and a PSI pack with an electro, stasis and gravity amp. If you have that.
Actually, those might be handy to help around in the ship if anything needs to be moved forcefully, or electrified or something...
Oh, and do you happen to know what happened to our personal belongings? Or who I need to ask that? I know it's stupid right now but I kinda miss my bagpipes..."
During the conversation bob is staring at Saoirse and Hoffman with a glazed look.
But when Saoirse mentions bagpipes, Bob's eyes clear at once.
"Bagpipes? Does Saoirse-Boss play musics?"
"Bob loves musics, old Boss (the friendly one) always used to play music for Bob when it was dark ..."
A big smile starts to appear on bob's face as he remembers the time with his old boss
"Could Saoirse-Boss play some music for Bob and Jimmy?"
LT Wiki | IRC | REKT Wiki
Idiots. Idiots everywhere. ~Dr. Cha0zz

"You have been most eager to help me, Mr. Schernz. I thank you.
Should you ever find yourself in need of assistance, be certain to let me know.
I'll be off now to grace Dennis with my presence. Farewell for now, Janus. I look forward to our next meeting.
I can already tell that we'll be good friends."

Wait around to see if Janus has anything more to say, and stay until he's finished speaking.
Once he's finished, make my way down to the armory, while displaying my best smile to brighten the moods of the crew. Also wink at any attractive women I happen to pass.

Upon reaching the armory, locate and approach Dennis Hoffman.
"Greetings, Mr. Hoffman! It is I! Brom Keegan. Lord of Ermhelm's underworld, charming merchant and master assassin! Mr. Schernz sent me. Seemed to think that we would get along well.
Great as I am, I was hoping to learn a bit about the recent advances in weapons tech."
Breaker of fortune cookies

Online Now