Return to “REKT”

Re: REKT: The Nemesis (Battlecarrier)

Oh FSM, I can see where this is going. It's obvious that SCAMPS and Maluk are somewhat at odds. This is exactly why I trust command authority about as far as I can throw their flagships. Probably going to get us all killed...but not knowing what the hell we were sent out here for doesn't give me the warm fuzzies either. Despite my reservations, attempting this super-secret mission is the best course of action. I just hope I don't regret this decision later...

Of course, I keep my face schooled into the same mask of polite deference they drill into you in training- wouldn't do for my commander to realize just how deep my misgivings go, after all. I do, however, raise some of my concerns with him, as much for a test as for anything else. He's only an acting captain after all, and a good commander needs to listen to his subordinates every now and then. I want to know just how seriously to take his orders.

"I share your...misgivings with not knowing the mission, sir, but respectfully, I can't see how having our two command authorities at odds can possibly be a good thing. I'll do my best to get those documents for you, but this does make me a bit...nervous, sir. Also, what are our orders if we can't retrieve the documents for some reason? Would destroying them be a good alternative in that case?

With regards to the traitor, I assume we can discount the REKT troopers, since we were in cryo prior to the attack. What are the chances, you think, of the traitor surviving the battle?"

Stare at my meager table setting.
I am in prison for something I never did nor intended to do. Anything could happen to me. I am property. I don't have any control over my life. I have no purpose either. I can relate to Anelle...
This must be horrible for her.
Try to eat.
Realize how awkward everything is.
Stop eating; to continue might be rude.

"I... I'm sorry... That must be really hard... I don't have any friends either, and I know how it feels to lose everything important to you..."
I am Groot.
Please don't take my advice. You will wind up in jail if you do.
For some reason, I feel obliged to display how many people have talked in IRC over the past 2 hours: Image :problem:
:ugeek:

"Mara. I have some engineering knowledge. I can help."
Remember that my equipment set, chosen in the VR and paid for, is waiting for me.
"Semi-qualified exoskeleton and power armor pilot, too. You have no power armor. As far as I know. But get me into my Exoskeletal suit and I can help with heavier stuff as well."
If allowed, get into my exoskeleton suit.
Stretch and get used to it. Enjoy the feeling of being in something resembling powered armor again.

How I miss my mech.
Use the opportunity to familiarize myself with the CASKET, a ship I have read so much about before being thrown out of my comfortable, peaceful apartment and into the harsh world.
Don't let the dread and homesickness set in.
Use my book knowledge and power suit assisted strength to both understand as much of the design as possible, and help the hangar crew with the repairs and heavy lifting.
Last edited by Triggerhappy on Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Dinosawer wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:30 pm
"Er, hi... Ermhelm? Can't say I've heard of that one. Then again, we didn't have much news on Poesis.
So, erm, my name Saoirse Fri'leth. Yeah I know it's spelled weird, it's Irish.
I'm an engineer in psionics, but the designing and using engineer, not the one that can actually make stuff. I suck at that. In fact the guys from the workshop kept me outside when they were working to make sure I didn't make anything explode..."
“That was a magnificent performance!
I have to say, I didn't expect to find a piper on the ship, much less a talented one like yourself.
The last time I heard a decent player was back on my home world of Crius IV, so your playing brings back memories.

Well Ermhelm was a city actually, and was where I conducted most of my business. A bit more crowded than your average middle-world town, still the people were nice. Naturally many of its citizens admired my skills and handsome good looks.
I specialize in more conventional weapons. Exotics weren't all that effective when I worked in Ermhelm, but they showed potential.
I'm sure they've come a long way since then. If you have the time, could you give me a demonstration of what they're capable of now?"
Breaker of fortune cookies

Don't get distracted by the goatee. Keep a comfortable pose.

Damn thing's not even remotely fitting to this youngster's face...But at least he seems to be a more hands-on kind of person with experience. And probably someone who can really understand what it would mean to let the wrong people at the repairs...

"I'm sorry, Antez. I don't want to intrude too long. I do have some experiences in common repairs and clean-ups, so I made myself useful in the mess-hall to free Brenna up from taking care of lights, piping and all the things that broke down there."

At mentioning Brenna, Frank tries to subtly convey his general opinion on her approach to said problems without making her look overtly bad.

"So after taking care of some cabling for the lights, I took a look at the piping. Things that are not important enough to need the more experienced technicians but still need to be done. The situation in the mess-hall is bad enough, even without it breaking down completely. So I'd like to ask for the materials needed and be done with it. Depending on how it goes, I might be free to help with different matters then..."

Ask Antez for the neccessary materials according to the prior investigation of the damages.
If he gives permission to grab and use the material.
-Take the stuff back to the mess-hall.
-Try to repair some piping.
Apparently, sometimes stuff might happen.
- - - - - - - -

Update time again! Dunno how long I can keep up with daily updates, but it's working for now.

Caleb
Spoiler:      SHOW
cuisinart8 wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:10 am
Oh FSM, I can see where this is going. It's obvious that SCAMPS and Maluk are somewhat at odds. This is exactly why I trust command authority about as far as I can throw their flagships. Probably going to get us all killed...but not knowing what the hell we were sent out here for doesn't give me the warm fuzzies either. Despite my reservations, attempting this super-secret mission is the best course of action. I just hope I don't regret this decision later...

Of course, I keep my face schooled into the same mask of polite deference they drill into you in training- wouldn't do for my commander to realize just how deep my misgivings go, after all. I do, however, raise some of my concerns with him, as much for a test as for anything else. He's only an acting captain after all, and a good commander needs to listen to his subordinates every now and then. I want to know just how seriously to take his orders.

"I share your...misgivings with not knowing the mission, sir, but respectfully, I can't see how having our two command authorities at odds can possibly be a good thing. I'll do my best to get those documents for you, but this does make me a bit...nervous, sir. Also, what are our orders if we can't retrieve the documents for some reason? Would destroying them be a good alternative in that case?

With regards to the traitor, I assume we can discount the REKT troopers, since we were in cryo prior to the attack. What are the chances, you think, of the traitor surviving the battle?"
Captain Maluk shakes his head. "No, SCAMPS and I aren't at odds. SCAMPS is hardcoded for one goal: survival of the ship. At a time like this, that's all he thinks about. If we had those documents, though, we could almost certainly learn what our mission was supposed to be. For us to be out this deep in enemy territory, our mission must have been critical. If possible, we should complete it before returning home." He's very sincere about this, you see. "In fact, if SCAMPS saw proof that our mission was critical, he would agree with me and try to stay long enough to complete it, but until he sees proof, there's no chance he'd listen. ...And, destroy the documents? Definitely, definitely! If you can't retrieve them, of course. If Machellan entrusted them to me, I'm certain they shouldn't fall into enemy hands - and they wouldn't have, if we hadn't lost our nacelle."

He pauses, checks the time again, and seems somewhat stressed, sighing. "Okay, last question, then I need to go check on the repairs in engineering. With regards to the traitor: Yes, the new REKT recruits, including yourself, are certainly not on the list of suspects, but the chances of the traitor surviving the battle are quite high. We can't rule out a sleeper agent, either. If you see anyone acting suspicious or unusual - including myself - report it to SCAMPS immediately. If this guy is working with OWL, he could really destroy any chances we have of getting out of here.

"And, with that, my time is up," Maluk says. "A bit overdue as well. Best of luck on your mission, soldier. Don't let me down." He salutes, and then turns, leaving the room at a brisk pace - though he pauses to briefly examine his reflection on the metal wall plating before he enters the hallway.

Miles
Detritus wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:37 am
Stare at my meager table setting.
I am in prison for something I never did nor intended to do. Anything could happen to me. I am property. I don't have any control over my life. I have no purpose either. I can relate to Anelle...
This must be horrible for her.
Try to eat.
Realize how awkward everything is.
Stop eating; to continue might be rude.

"I... I'm sorry... That must be really hard... I don't have any friends either, and I know how it feels to lose everything important to you..."
You decide not to respond to her, and simply eat your food. She hesitates for a moment, and then resumes eating as well.

It feels awkward.

Abruptly, you stop eating. To continue eating might be rude, you realize. You look up at her... for two seconds. "I... I'm sorry... That must be really hard... I don't have any friends either, and I know how it feels to lose everything important to you..."

She nods, finishing the last of her ration bar and wiping her hands clean on her napkin. "I catch myself idling around the entrance to the library a lot now. That was my special place here... I just wish I could go inside again. Just for a little while" Anelle thinks for a moment. "I guess you can't do anything like that, with what you've lost... I don't know if that makes it easier, or harder for you." After finishing her mediwater, Anelle gets up. Gathering up the trash from her meal, she gives you a smile and a short giggle. "I'm glad I got to meet you, Miles. Thank you for talking to me." With that, she walks away, depositing the garbage in the bin.

Anelle looks back over her shoulder at you as she leaves. You see her smile.

((Damn... if only you'd looked at her for three seconds, she might have stayed!!! :ghost: ))

Lemons
Triggerhappy wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:10 pm
"Mara. I have some engineering knowledge. I can help."
Remember that my equipment set, chosen in the VR and paid for, is waiting for me.
"Semi-qualified exoskeleton and power armor pilot, too. You have no power armor. As far as I know. But get me into my Exoskeletal suit and I can help with heavier stuff as well."
If allowed, get into my exoskeleton suit.
Stretch and get used to it. Enjoy the feeling of being in something resembling powered armor again.

How I miss my mech.
Use the opportunity to familiarize myself with the CASKET, a ship I have read so much about before being thrown out of my comfortable, peaceful apartment and into the harsh world.
Don't let the dread and homesickness set in.
Use my book knowledge and power suit assisted strength to both understand as much of the design as possible, and help the hangar crew with the repairs and heavy lifting.
"Mara, I have some engineering knowledge. I can help," you tell her.

She turns to you with an expression of disbelief. "What? Really? Are you serious?"

You nod. "I'm a semi-qualified exoskeleton and power armor pilot, too. You have no power armor here. As far as I know. But get me into my exoskeletal suit and I can help with heavier stuff as well."

"Do you have any idea how much training these people undergo?" she asks incredulously. "I don't care if you have 'some engineering knowledge' - you're not touching anything in my hangar unless you're specifically trained for it. I don't know you, and I don't know how much of a mess you'll make of things. Actually, no, you know what?" She flicks her cigarette away and takes a few (clearly angry) steps closer to you. "That's insulting to myself, and everyone else here. I worked to get here, asshole. I didn't just waltz into somebody else's workshop and claim to have a full working knowledge of their tech - company secrets, too, I might add!"

You say nothing, hoping she'll calm down.

Fortunately, she does. Her temper quickly cools, and she mops her forehead with a dirty cloth before pulling out her PDA. "And we do have power armor here." She gestures across the hangar - you see a few people walking around in power suits, and even a couple heavy construction mechs. "We don't let you take them on missions because they're expensive pieces of equipment, and Tartarus purchases them from specialized manufacturers. ...Hmm. Anyway, I can't let you touch any of the CASKETs we're working on, but it says you've purchased an exoskeleton." She points over toward the wall, partway down the hangar, where you see several suits. "You can use one of the ones over there." In a louder voice: "Amos! Unlock one of those suits for this guy!"

"On it," he calls back. A big, armored guy with a weapon heads over and fiddles with the controls, pulling out a suit. Then he goes back to his post.

~~~

After equipping your exosuit, you test it out with a few high-powered air punches. The acceleration in your strikes feels fantastic, and the control is natural and intuitive. You miss your mech, though. You try not to feel homesick.

With a near-literal spring in your step, you head over to some of the CASKETs sitting on the deck, giving one a closer examination. It's soon quite clear that all your book-reading back at home was either outdated or mostly fabricated. The CASKETs here don't even look like they did in the books, and they're clearly a lot more complex. Being only a Mk1 CASKET, though, it's rather ugly... but that's to be expected, you suppose. Maybe you'll upgrade later on, if you can afford it.

((This would be a good opportunity to point out this page, which is available on your PDA.))

Buck
Hapchazzard wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:38 am
Tell her: "I think so. Bad situation outside, huh? Who's attacking us? The Outer Worlds League? Them aliens?"
After she answers that question: "You know why they pissed at us?"
She asked if she could help you, so you respond, "I think so. Bad situation outside, huh?"

"It could be better," she admits. Then, "Kendall, cleared for launch, take off and head north-northeast." Below you in the hangar, the CASKET you saw land earlier fires up its engines, emitting a blue glow as the engineers jog away from it. Using its RCS thrusters, it maneuvers upwards toward the launch tube and accelerates rapidly out of the Nemesis.

"Who's attacking us?" you ask. "The Outer Worlds League? Them aliens?"

She shakes her head, not taking her eyes off the controls. "Unaffiliated Hiltorel, from the nearby colony."

You have another question. "You know why they're pissed at us?"

This one actually gets her to pause while she thinks about it. For a moment, even her hands stop moving. She looks up at you. "No, I don't actually know... but hiltorel and humans tend to hate each other. They probably expect us to be hostile. Being this far into an alien reservation isn't legal anyway." She turns away then, pressing a hand to her ear. "Roger, R5. Go easy on the ammo, let Anabais run out first, then we'll cycle resupply." Then, to you, "I'm not sure why we're here. I don't think anyone does. You could ask SCAMPS, but I don't think he would tell you." She turns away again and takes a sip of the mediwater sitting on her console, and then adds as an afterthought, "Also, if you're getting sent out in the next few hours, Lieutenant Dyoun will probably be your FTO, not me."

Frank
F4wk35 wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:05 am
Don't get distracted by the goatee. Keep a comfortable pose.

Damn thing's not even remotely fitting to this youngster's face...But at least he seems to be a more hands-on kind of person with experience. And probably someone who can really understand what it would mean to let the wrong people at the repairs...

"I'm sorry, Antez. I don't want to intrude too long. I do have some experiences in common repairs and clean-ups, so I made myself useful in the mess-hall to free Brenna up from taking care of lights, piping and all the things that broke down there."

At mentioning Brenna, Frank tries to subtly convey his general opinion on her approach to said problems without making her look overtly bad.

"So after taking care of some cabling for the lights, I took a look at the piping. Things that are not important enough to need the more experienced technicians but still need to be done. The situation in the mess-hall is bad enough, even without it breaking down completely. So I'd like to ask for the materials needed and be done with it. Depending on how it goes, I might be free to help with different matters then..."

Ask Antez for the neccessary materials according to the prior investigation of the damages.
If he gives permission to grab and use the material.
-Take the stuff back to the mess-hall.
-Try to repair some piping.
"I'm sorry, Antez," you say. "I don't want to intrude too long. I do have some experiences in common repairs and clean-ups, so I made myself useful in the mess-hall to free Brenna up from taking care of lights, piping, and all the things that broke down there." You pause, then say, delicately, "Brenna isn't the best engineer around."

Antez laughs. "No, she isn't! Actually she's fairly atrocious with repairs. She means well, but you need to be a real engineer to deal with fixing things. I'm glad you got the lights working again, though. I'll have to come by and check them later to make sure everything's in order. I didn't realize she still had a repair kit hidden somewhere - I thought i confiscated all of them. My bad," he says, and smiles broadly. The goatee looks even stranger because of this. "I'm sure Brenna's mad at me for taking the other kits, though. I don't know where she found those, but she shouldn't have had them."

You nod in agreement. Brenna simply isn't good at fixing things. "I took a look at the piping. It's not complicated enough to need more experienced technicians, but still needs to be done. The situation in the mess hall is bad enough, even without it breaking down completely, so I'd like to ask for the materials needed and be done with it."

Antez shifts gears. "Ehhhh, I don't know," he says, suddenly on edge. He idly flicks on a flashlight and holds it over his shoulder, looking at the jumpsuit you're wearing, then flicks it back off and plays with it in his hands. "Look, I don't like trusting anyone with my equipment. If things go south, I'd be listed at fault, and you're not a real engineer anyway, are you?"

You haggle with him a bit over it, and Antez is initially averse to letting you touch his tools. Fortunately, one of Antez's crewmates - Ellis - yells at him for taking too long and says to just give you a kit and be done with it. Antez seems to resent him for saying this, but in the end, agrees with Ellis' wisdom. You are soon leaving engineering with a piping repair kit in hand.

~~~

"You actually got it???" Brenna asks, almost speechless in astonishment upon your triumphant return. "How... What... You didn't steal those, right?"

You shake your head. "Antez gave them to me."

Brenna is floored. "You're a miracle worker, Frank. I don't know how you got him to give you those, and I'm not going to ask, but I'm very grateful." Just then, another crewman steps up to the counter, and she's busy getting them food.

~~~

Before long, you have most of the pipes patched in one way or another. You manage to figure out how to get the pressure sensors to reset, and even the water pipes are running again. There are a number of pipes you can't figure out how to fix - partly because they need replaced entirely, and others because you aren't actually sure why they're there. Regardless, you've done a fine job of repairing the mess hall to the best of your ability.

Brenna is very grateful. "You're amazing, Frank. Thank the gods they took you out of cryo and sent you my way." She looks at you fondly for a moment, and then starts, as though startled. "Oh, I might have something to thank you with." She turns, unlocks a drawer behind the counter and shuffles around in it for a moment. "Oh, here!" She withdraws something and presses it into your hand. "It's not much, but it's all I have to thank you with right now. I forgot I had them in there."

You open your hand. In your palm rests a black circle of plastic, labeled "REKT REQUISITION TOKEN".

"I'll try to keep an eye out for something else to give you," Brenna says apologetically. "I know it's not much of a reward for all the help you've given me, but still... I wanted to give you something."
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Buck's mind suddenly veers off in a different direction and, realizing that he isn't likely to find out any more about his current predicament, decides to go looking for one of the few people he vaguely knows on the ship for company.
To the person I was talking to: "Uh-huh." Glances at his hand, as if he has a watch(he doesn't) "Thanks for the help, m'am, you've been mighty helpful. I've got some important business to be attendin' to now. I'll be on my way, then."
Try and find Lemons(since my character doesn't know his name, but remembers his appearance and the fact that they were in the tryout together, he'd first try asking SCAMPS about his whereabouts and, if that fails, asking the occasional random person whether they've seen such a person)
if I manage to find him, address him enthusiastically: "Howdy, partner! Remember me?" ((This should be at the end of his turn as well, naturally))

Well, that cleared up a lot of things...and raised more questions as well. Sadly, not the kind that I can (or particularly want to try) get answers to from the computers here- never know where the bastard is that put us in this mess, after all. Fukc, this is going to suck. Bad enough that we're out here with a few thousand aliens who would like nothing more than to tear us limb from limb, but we also have some dumbass working with them, like they'd spare the guy after they finished with us! What a damn mess. I'll have to keep an eye out for the guy, and maybe warn some of the more trustworthy-seeming inmates to be on the lookout as well. Having little better to do at this point, I find myself wandering over to the armory to make sure they don't screw my weapon loadout up. Not for the first time, I find myself wishing sorely for some of the men from my old unit- the logistics guys we had along were practically magicians in how they had exactly what you needed, almost before you knew you needed it. Hopefully the guys here are at least competent...

I head over for the armory to make sure my equipment orders got processed correctly- no telling how mucked up everything is from the crash and the fact that I was in cryo for a couple of decades...

Look around for anyone in need of some muscle power or technical help, or anyone at all in need of any help ( even if it involves helping with a CASKET, I am an engineer damnit I can figure it out ).
Approach and silently start to help them. More work less talk!

(( Sorry to disappoint everyone, I am not ready to die by charisma roll yet. Not yet ready to start combat against the entire ship either...))

Frank looks at the token with a slightly puzzled expression, trying to figure out the meaning of it.

REKT? Antez said something about me being there...and SCAMPS...I think he mentioned that too, in the beginning...I think...that's...some kind of currency for a number of prisoners of Tartarus...I think it's about the equipment they can take with them...I'll ask about it at the armory when I have time...And after I returned those tools to Antez.

His brain seems it neccessary to remind him that he got out of cryo just a short time back, so all Frank can do is flashing Brenna a grateful, but still slightly puzzled smile.

"I-...Thank you, Brenna! Thank you, really. But...right now I'm not completely sure about what exactly this is. Seems like my memories aren't all that much on top of things as I thought...And, please. You don't have to go through all that, I'm just doing my part in trying to get away from this planet in one piece preferably, no? So please, just keep up the good work you do here. There are people trying to defend the ship, others to coordinate the struggles throughout it, people who are trying to fix it to the best of their abilities with the materials at hand. Just...just give them a break from that here, in the mess-hall, you do another important part in all this. And I'm just a janitor they pulled out of cryo, based on arbitrary reasoning. You're doing a great job here, Brenna. Just keep it up, for our sake, yes?"

Closing his hand around the token, Frank reaches around with his other arm to give Brenna a short hug.
He then slips the token into a pocket inconspicuously.
Apparently, sometimes stuff might happen.
- - - - - - - -

Miranda jerked up suddenly, gasping for air as if waking up from a nightmare.
"Jesus Christ, where the fuck am I?" she exclaimed as she rubbed her eyes and stretched her muscles.
"Fuck! Everything is goddamn sore!"
She examines the room, taking in her surroundings and waiting for a response from who she assumed were doctors.
<Detritus> I went up to my mom and said "hey... do you feel like giving five dollars to black lives matter?" and she laughed and said no :v <Black--Snow> my life does matter though ~~ added by Hema on Jun 11 2020 (2770)

Hema wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:13 pm
“That was a magnificent performance!
I have to say, I didn't expect to find a piper on the ship, much less a talented one like yourself.
The last time I heard a decent player was back on my home world of Crius IV, so your playing brings back memories.

Well Ermhelm was a city actually, and was where I conducted most of my business. A bit more crowded than your average middle-world town, still the people were nice. Naturally many of its citizens admired my skills and handsome good looks.
I specialize in more conventional weapons. Exotics weren't all that effective when I worked in Ermhelm, but they showed potential.
I'm sure they've come a long way since then. If you have the time, could you give me a demonstration of what they're capable of now?"
"Well, I could, but I'm not supposed to just use the PSI amp willy nilly here on the ship. However, I was gonna look around if there's someplace I can be useful with these - you could tag along if you want."

I turn to answer Bob, only to notice he already left.
I shrug, plug in the PSI pack and amps and go in search of somewhere I can make myself useful with my amps, knowing I'm crap at actually fixing stuff

(( I guess I should probably specify that further but I have no idea where that would be. ))
Warning: do not ask about physics unless you really want to know about physics.
The LT IRC / Alternate link || The REKT Wiki || PUDDING

Online Now