Return to “REKT”

Re: REKT: The Nemesis (Battlecarrier)

Update - the final one! for now. Conference room incoming.

Miles
Spoiler:      SHOW
Detritus wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:48 pm
Start worrying.
The two individuals start to walk deeper into the ship: Anelle, and her friend.

You fear for the worst.

Congratulations.

Saoirse
Dinosawer wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:56 am
(( I'm kinda confused here - if I'm outside, either he's trying to desert to... the inside of the ship, or I have X-ray vision? ))
I wasn't supposed to use these on people, but is cuma liom sa diabhal*, I'm not going to let people get hurt because of dumb rules...
I try to use my stasis amp on the guy. If it fails, I try again, but no more than four times in total.
If I manage to trap him at some point,
I shout "He can't shoot at us while he's in there, but the shield doesn't last forever!
And somebody get a medic!"
Then I walk over to the guy and say
"I don't get you. I mean sure, I get that you're afraid. We all are. But do you really think you'd be safer on a bualadh craicinn** Hiltorel colony than on this ship?
And even if you did, what kind of person shoots a friend to get to safety?"
If nobody else seems to be doing something to get the weapon away from him, I follow up with
"Now drop the gun unless you want to get 10000 Volts to the face." while letting the electro amp cause small lightning bolts to arc from my right hand in a menacing fashion, and really really hoping I won't have to use it.
If I'm asked to drop the stasis field (not by the bad guy in it, obviously) and it seems safe to do so, I drop it.

If somehow I managed to miss him four times with the stasis amp instead, I start to chase him while trying to keep cover between us.

((
* I don't give a damn
** f***ing
))
Thinking quickly, you raise a hand in the man's direction, trying to trap him in a stasis field - but your aim is off. The air to the left of him wavers and flickers - and he notices. Turning around as he runs, he fires a few shots in your direction, amidst the screams and shouts of those around you. Unperturbed, you make a second attempt - and this time he stops short, crumpling against the inside of a near-invisible sphere. He shouts and bashes his weapon against the side, and even fires a shot against the interior. He didn't think this through. It looks like he burns himself.

"He can't shoot as us while he's in there," you shout, "but the shield doesn't last forever! And somebody get a medic!"

Gonzz is by your side. "Good work. Might not be too bad if I had you on my team. This is the second one today. Morale is shit, everybody's whining and throwing tantrums."

Together, you head over and check the guy out. He's pounding on the inside of the sphere; his suit is lacerated by some of the damage his weapon did, and he's bleeding. He's young - probably 18 or 19 - he looks absolutely terrified.

"I don't get you," you say to him, shaking your head. "I mean, sure, I get that you're afraid. We all are. But do you really think you'd be safer on a bualadh craicinn Hiltorel colony than on this ship?"

"You don't understand," he whimpers, shaking. Then, screaming: "YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND!" he pounds his hands wildly against the inside of the shield; blood smears against the inner surface. "Everyone I know is dead! They're working us until we die! SCAMPS doesn't give a shit and we're never getting home." He suddenly realizes Gonzz is standing behind you - he seems to recognize him. He starts to stand but stumbles and clutches his chest. "YOU DID THIS! You and your asshole officers! I haven't slept in three days because of you! Only the stims are keeping me awake now! You think this is fine? You thought we could cover for everyone that died? Well, LOOK AT ME NOW!" He collapses to the side, weeping and whimpering incoherently.

You're no psychologist, but you can definitely tell something's mentally wrong with him.

"Look at me now..."

You glance at Gonzz in askance. He has a cold, hard, no-nonsense look on his face. "The doctors are too busy fixing up the people that actually need it to deal with this kid's crap. He's shot himself in the gut and killed one of our better guys out here. If he snapped once, he'll do it again."

You glance at the boy in the shield. He's sobbing more weakly now. Blood is pooling in the bottom of the hollow.

"Drop the shield and kill him," Gonzz orders, turning to walk away. "We can't risk losing anyone else, and this kid is history."

Bob
Cha0zz wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:53 am
You stare blankly at Anelle for a moment, but suddenly you remember what you were trying to do. "Bob looking for stuff to do, Bob wants to help. Jimmy too," you add, holding Jimmy out for Anelle to see.

"Awww!" Anelle coos, giggling. "That's adorable! Your bear looks so sweet!" She still sounds a little nervous, but she seems to be getting over it quickly. Girls tend to like you for some reason. Jimmy makes a good wingman.

You put Jimmy back on your shoulder. "Why nothing left at front?"

"We had to deal with a big fight," she explains. "Some bad people were trying to hurt us. They almost killed me. They blew up a lot of the front of the ship... and my library." Anelle points behind you. "That was where my library was." She pauses; her eyebrows knit together as she thinks. "Hmm... I'm sure there's somewhere you could help. You look really strong..." She eyes your muscles for a moment. Then, she catches herself, looks up at your face, and quickly glances away with a giggle that she tries to stifle. Finally, she offers helpfully, "Well... it's a really big ship. If you're interested, I think we can probably find something for you to do with that in Engineering or Medical..."
'Grrrr, Bob no like bad people, bad people always try to hurt Bob. Makes Bob want to try to hurt bad people.'
A dark cloud seems to pass over Bob's face but it's gone in an instant and Bob's face clears up
'You had library? Bob like book, book has nice pictures in it' Bob says with a smile.
'Bob very strong'
Bob flexes his muscles
'Bob glad to help Anelle'
"You had library? Bob like book; book has nice pictures in it," you say with a smile.

She giggles. "Only some of them. Most of my books didn't, but I bet we could've found one you would have liked."

"Bob very strong," you say. "Bob glad to help Anelle."

Anelle seems visibly cheered by you - by Jimmy, your friendly attitude, and your offer to help. Her face lights up with a veritable glow as she smiles brightly. "Let's go to the middle of the ship," she suggests. "I'm sure captain Maluk can come up with something for you to help with. I won't be able to help you, but that's okay."

Frank
F4wk35 wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:55 am
Thinking back to the messhall and engineering, Frank can't help but think darkly,

Why is everyone so surprised when someone fixes the pipes? It's just a bit of plumbing, for dustbunny's sake!

Shaking his head though, he concentrates back on the task at hand.

Crossbow, some useful bolts and tips. The first-aid kit is very basic though. Not many useful things inside...repair kit...I guess I should take a look at the hangar, perhaps they can give me a few hints for when I need to make repairs at some point...That reminds me...

Use the terminal to find out if the tranquilizers work properly on the hiltorel.
Look for some kind of basic sign language that humans can use to give signals to hiltorel and download them to the PDA.
Then look if there's a way for the terminal to register the REKT-token.
If there is one.
- Use the token to buy a pack of coagulant boosters for missions.
If there's none.
- Handle the purchase via available personal.

After wrapping that up, move over to the hangars.
Politely ask for hints and tips for emergency repairs on a CASKET that can be done with a normal repair kit.
You think back to the mess hall and engineering, trying to figure out why everyone was so surprised. It was just a bit of plumbing. What's so impressive about that?

Doing a search on your PDA, you look for some kind of basic sign language to use to communicate with the Hiltorel - and find, pleasingly, that many of them speak English - of a sort. They have heavy accents, your PDA explains, due to their mouths not being able to form some human sounds.

After this, you insert your REKT token into a slot in the side of the machine; it uploads it to your account. You use it to purchase a pack of coagulant boosters. With this done, you check to see if the tranquilizers work on Hiltorel - and apparently, they absolutely do. SCAMPS uses some rather obscene language to detail the effects thereof. This seems to be normal behavior for him.

That wraps up your business in the armory, so you hook your PDA back on your belt and head down to the hangar to poke around.

~~~

After some effort, you manage to flag down an engineer. The hangar is massive - a great cavernous area with a tube out one side for launching fighters. Every now and then, a REKT CASKET will make a quick pit stop for repairs, and then go back out to defending the ship outside. The engineers look like they haven't in days. Morale is low. Nevertheless, you do manage to flag someone down - some girl named Mara. She pulls out a cigarette and smokes it as she talks to you, giving you various tips on how to repair a CASKET - get to the engine through the back, pull the seat forward to get to the fuel tank, better to rip out the control panel than fix it - and other related things.

Just then, some guy named Brom barges in, talking dramatically about how awesome he is. It seems he was an assassin or something, and he certainly hasn't tried to put that life behind him.

Buck & Lemons
Triggerhappy wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:05 pm
(( Hap: I am told the mission starts at the end of next turn. Might as well do a little good around here. We will see about the hacking after the mission. Might also need your help building a mech. ))

"We wait. Until after the mission. Perhaps resources will be available."
Look around once more, looking for some non-CASKET work to do. Help where needed.
Don't get myself into more trouble.
Hapchazzard wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:29 pm
*shrugs*
"Sure thing"

Follow Lemons around, not helping in any useful way, constantly nagging him and making comments about how inefficiently he's doing stuff while he's helping (not in a mean, but in a bragging way)
(( :lol: You guys make an epic duo. :D ))
<Narrator>: Buck and Lemons start looking around the hangar for some way to help. Naturally, nobody wants them to use any of the materials around - they're all reserved for fixing things that already exist. Nobody really wants them to touch any of the CASKETs that the hangar crew is fixing up, either. Buck follows Lemons around as he asks questions, hands in his pockets, making witty comments.

"Geez, Lemons, when are you going to find someone that wants to give you a job? It feels like we've been at this all afternoon!"

"I don't know, Buck - oh, look! That woman looks like she could use assistance!"

"Oh, I don't know, Lemons, that looks like it could end badly..."

"Just you wait!"

Lemons exits stage left. Loud crashing sounds are heard, including the terrified yowling of a cat and shrieking of a woman. A laugh track plays as Lemons returns, holding his head and shaking a bucket off his foot.

"I have no idea how that went wrong, Buck..."

Buck chuckles. "Well, you mighta tried not taking her equipment when she asked if you were the janitor."

"Was going to show her what I could do." Lemons finally manages to extricate himself from the bucket.

"Well, you certainly did," Buck says with a chortle. "Try over there!"

"On it."

Lemons exits stage right. We hear screaming and clattering. Lemons re-emerges soon thereafter with the right arm of his jumpsuit on fire, shouting in Russian. Another laugh track plays as a few engineers pin him down and absolutely smother the fukc outta him with fire extinguishers.

Buck looks on smugly. "Well... that didn't go quite as planned, did it?"

"Next time, Buck," Lemons says, getting to his feet and brushing himself off. "Next time for sure." There's a pause, as the engineers that hosed him down begin to talk to him quietly. Lemons calls out, "Hey, Buck, they're giving me a job! I GOT A JOB!!!"

Screen cuts to black, with the words: "TWENTY MINUTES LATER". A particularly loud laugh track plays as the next scene reveals Lemons mopping a scorch mark off the hangar floor in a relatively quiet area.

"Hey, you missed a spot, Lemons!" Buck calls out. He's leaning up against a CASKET with his arms crossed, chatting up a pretty engineer.

Lemons does not seem pleased. "You are agitating me, Buck!" he shouts back. "Why don't you help?"

Buck shrugs. "If I helped, nobody would be back here to point out the spots you missed."

A final laughtrack, as Lemons groans.

Roll credits.

Brom
Hema wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:43 pm
"Thanks for letting me see your PSI amp in action, Saoirse. I look forward to seeing how well it works in a combat situation.
Unfortunately, I have to head to the hanger now. I've got someone there I need to meet with, and I'm sure most of the workers could use a morale boost.
I'm glad you met me, Saoirse. You'll make a fine sidekick. "

Head to the hangar, waving and smiling at everyone I pass.
When I arrive, find the woman named Mara, and greet her.
“Greetings, Mara! The striking man that stands before you is none other than great Brom Keegan! I'm certain you have heard tales of my heroic deeds and adventures in Ermhelm
I'll have time to retell them later. For now, I am here on business. “
Offer handshake
“Mr. Schernz told me that you would be the one to talk to about the new CASKET technology. What sorts of changes have there been, and what features are there that should I be aware of before flying?”
Caring little for Saoirse's ordeal with the fleeing suspect, you bow out gracefully. "Thanks for letting me see your PSI amp in action, Saoirse," you say loudly, over the roaring hubbub. "I look forward to seeing how well it works in a combat situation. I'm glad you met me, Saoirse! You'll make a fine sidekick."

You head to the hangar, waving and smiling at everyone you pass. The people here are almost adorable with how backwoods they are. Most of them don't even seem to know you. Poor, uneducated country bumpkins. You'll set them right, oh yes you will.

~~~

After a bit of searching, you find Mara talking to someone, and wait for a convenient opportunity to interrupt: this is immediately.

"Greetings, Mara!" you announce with a flourish and a dashing pose. "The striking man that stands before you is none other than the great Brom Keegan! I'm certain you've heard tales of my heroic deeds and adventures as the Assassin of Ermhelm. I'll have time to retell them later. For now, I am here on business."

You offer a handshake to the privileged young woman, who takes her cigarette out of her mouth for a moment. "You must be one of the new guys," she says. "Coming down to check out the job we've done?"

You give a nod. "Mr. Schernz told me that you would be the one to talk to about the CASKET technology. What sorts of changes have there been? And what features are there that I should be aware of?"

Mara straightens up and runs her (very greasy) hand through her dirty blonde hair and readjusts her ponytail. "Hmm. Changes in the past... fifty years? Well, we upgraded the chassis for the robotic arms with a stronger alloy - they almost never get blown off now, except in combat - and we added a PSI unit. Those ports on your neck?" She taps the side of her neck to illustrate. "Those hook into the chair, and you can help guide the ship a little with that. Generates an electromagnetic field. It helps PSI users a lot more, but it's cheap tech these days, so we throw it into all of them."

"I see! Excellent! And the engines, what are they?"

She seems to enjoy answering these questions. "Just your standard radiation-shielded antimatter engines, with the addition of a lit plume of copper chloride and gas so idiots stay out of the way. They'll give you a nice bit of maneuverability, and they'll run fine even with just one engine left." She pats the back of the CASKET next to her. "They're ugly little bastards, but they do their job well - provided they have a decent pilot."

You smile handsomely. You're fairly sure you see several females swoon out of the corner of your eye. "They've never had a pilot as good as me," you assure her. "By the way, you remind me somewhat of my tailor back on Ermhelm. I don't suppose you have any material from which you could craft me a cape? Red gabardine, perhaps? I've felt almost naked without it."

She laughs hard enough that she spits the cigarette out of her mouth. For a moment she stands there wheezing, and then it devolves into a cough.

"Are you all right, my good woman?" you ask, only mildly concerned. "Do you need me to seek assistance?" You're a bit distracted. You've only just noticed you can see your reflection in the metal of the nearby CASKET.

Mara shakes her head. "Didn't you say you were an assasin? Wouldn't a cape make you easier to spot? And who the hell wears capes, anyway?"

You shift your weight slightly, naturally falling into an oft-practiced heroic pose. "Heroes, my dear Mara. When a man wants someone taken out, he hires a hitman. When a man wants to make a statement, he hires me. It would never do to not let my victims know who killed them. They may not always deserve it, but I considered it... a parting gift."

Everyone:

"All right, listen up!" SCAMPS calls out over the comms, interrupting your activities. "Our new recruits from the cryotubes: get to the conference room. For those of you that haven't found it yet, it's on the upper decks, right above the hangar. Get here pronto or we'll toss you into the engine exhaust when we leave. None of you are irreplaceable."

((To anyone else not mentioned here, consider yourselves summoned. REKT: BTE awaits!))
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

I'm startled from my pondering of the crew manifest by SCAMPS' call to arms. A bit annoying, but if nothing else I've managed to throw together a list of the more important surviving members of each department. I can continue the search for the asshole who stranded us here after the mission. Besides, perhaps the outcome of the mission and the crews' reactions to it might help shed some light as well. I'm particularly interested in how the command crew takes the recovery of our secret orders...

But enough brooding. I've been thinking about this for a while now. Time to get to the briefing room before I get messily removed from the bunks by SCAMPS. Let's see what fresh hell Command has cooked up for us.

I put my PDA away and head over to the conference room, resigning myself mentally to whatever crap Command has on tap for its newest (and apparently most expendable) recruits.

"Jesus Christ, not even a minute to get my bearings."
Walk/stumble to the conference room all the while cursing cryo technology.
<Detritus> I went up to my mom and said "hey... do you feel like giving five dollars to black lives matter?" and she laughed and said no :v <Black--Snow> my life does matter though ~~ added by Hema on Jun 11 2020 (2770)

"You had library? Bob like book; book has nice pictures in it," you say with a smile.

She giggles. "Only some of them. Most of my books didn't, but I bet we could've found one you would have liked."

"Bob very strong," you say. "Bob glad to help Anelle."

Anelle seems visibly cheered by you - by Jimmy, your friendly attitude, and your offer to help. Her face lights up with a veritable glow as she smiles brightly. "Let's go to the middle of the ship," she suggests. "I'm sure captain Maluk can come up with something for you to help with. I won't be able to help you, but that's okay."
Okay Anelle-boss.
scamps wrote:"All right, listen up!" SCAMPS calls out over the comms, interrupting your activities. "Our new recruits from the cryotubes: get to the conference room. For those of you that haven't found it yet, it's on the upper decks, right above the hangar. Get here pronto or we'll toss you into the engine exhaust when we leave. None of you are irreplaceable."
'Uh Oh'
'Looks like Bob and Jimmy have other stuffs to do.'
'Say bye-bye to Anelle Jimmy'
Bob takes jimmy's paw and waves it at Anelle

Bob starts to walk towards the conference room, he looks back one more time at Anelle and says "bye-bye Anelle-boss"
When he reaches the conference room, he waves at the people there, says "Meh Bob" and takes a seat next to Saoirse.
Last edited by Cha0zz on Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
LT Wiki | IRC | REKT Wiki
Idiots. Idiots everywhere. ~Dr. Cha0zz

With a worried expression on his face, Frank thanks Mara for the tips. He then throws a suspicious glance at the assassin and the comedy-duo who managed to go up in flames just before, sighing.

Frank then makes his way to the conference room, carrying a feeling of dread.
Apparently, sometimes stuff might happen.
- - - - - - - -

Triggerhappy wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:35 pm
Cease tactical assault cleanup operations of the hangar deck.
Report to the conference room. Take the broom in my hands with me. Drag Buck along with my enhanced strength, too.

Чертовы идиоты, чё им теперь-то надо а?
"Well, partner, time to - hey, whatcha doin'!?"
Be dragged by Lemons to the conference room, constantly complaining that he can walk perfectly fine by himself
When I hear him say that (Russian-sounding) sentence: "What? You're French?"

"Kill him? For being literally insane by tiredness? I get that there's no other way to get this ship running again but you can't blame him for the morale...that's the responsibility of his superiors."
I approach the boy, drop the stasis shield, kick away the weapon and whisper to him
"If you want to stay alive, then work with me and don't struggle!"
I hoist him over my shoulder and drag him away.
If there's a medic or medkit nearby, I go there first and try to use some medigel on his wound.
Then I drag him to the medbay, while chattering to him.
"It'll be fine, lad... I know things look bad now, but we'll be fine! With how hard you guys worked the ship will be running again in no time, us REKT people will do some cool stuff to get resources, and we'll go home!
What's your home like?"
and I try to get him optimistic by talking about his home, before handing him over to the medics. I also tell them he really really needs a good rest and a good therapist.

At that point I hear SCAMPS's call, and head to the conference room.
One there I wave to Bob and sit next to him.
Warning: do not ask about physics unless you really want to know about physics.
The LT IRC / Alternate link || The REKT Wiki || PUDDING

Look towards the loudspeaker, and then back at Mara.
“Sounds like I've got a mission now, so I'd better head off. Thanks for the information, Mara; I appreciate it. I'll get this done and be back before you know it.”
Go to the conference room, and strike a pose to inspire the other soldiers.
Breaker of fortune cookies

Saoirse
Dinosawer wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:19 am
"Kill him? For being literally insane by tiredness? I get that there's no other way to get this ship running again but you can't blame him for the morale...that's the responsibility of his superiors."
I approach the boy, drop the stasis shield, kick away the weapon and whisper to him
"If you want to stay alive, then work with me and don't struggle!"
I hoist him over my shoulder and drag him away.
If there's a medic or medkit nearby, I go there first and try to use some medigel on his wound.
Then I drag him to the medbay, while chattering to him.
"It'll be fine, lad... I know things look bad now, but we'll be fine! With how hard you guys worked the ship will be running again in no time, us REKT people will do some cool stuff to get resources, and we'll go home!
What's your home like?"
and I try to get him optimistic by talking about his home, before handing him over to the medics. I also tell them he really really needs a good rest and a good therapist.

At that point I hear SCAMPS's call, and head to the conference room.
One there I wave to Bob and sit next to him.
"Kill him?" you ask, shocked. "For being literally insane from tiredness? I get that there's no other way to get this ship running again, but you can't blame him for the morale... that's the responsibility of his superiors." You approach the guy and drop the stasis shield; all the blood smeared and pooling in the interior splashes to the soft earth below, running in little rivulets across the dusty landscape. You kick away his weapon. He makes no move to escape. "If you want to stay alive, then work with me and don't struggle!" you whisper sharply, picking up one of his arms. In a moment, you have him hoisted over your shoulder - he yelps in agony as you put him there, but he's growing noticeably weaker. As quickly as you can, you head toward the elevator shaft, trying to take him to engineering.

He groans loudly.

"Shh, it'll be fine, lad," you assure him. "With how hard you guys worked, the ship will be running again in no time."

He rasps and coughs, and then chokes out a whisper: "Just let me die."

You bite your lip. "I know things look bad now, but we'll be fine. Us REKT people will do some cool stuff to get resources, and we'll go home! What's your home like?"

He falls silent, hardly breathing. For a moment you think you've lost him.

"Davin," he whispers. "I'm Davin. I never had a home."

You grit your teeth. "Then we'll get you one."

~~~

"Move, move, we got fresh wounded! Critical condition!"

The lowest deck of engineering is flooded with doctors and nurses, caring to hundreds of patients. They lie on makeshift cots, the floor, slumped up against the walls - many of them look to be in terrible condition. A new friend of yours - Lance - is walking ahead of you, clearing the path. You briefly explained the situation, but he didn't even have to listen. Apparently, he knows the guy you're holding.

"Doc?" you hear him asking. "Doc, I got a body here needs immediate medical attention!"

You're starting to stumble. The first few hundred steps were all right, but you're starting to feel tired, and carrying the guy up stairs is no joke.

"Oh dear, what have we hear," you hear someone say, rushing up to you. "You're - Saoirse?" she asks, checking out your jumpsuit. "Okay, can you carry him a little farther?" You look up at her - she's a late middle-aged woman with short, curled brown hair. "Bring him this way - lay him down on this table. CARMEN! DIEGO! Get me some medigel and some surgical supplies!" She rattles off some complicated medical information about your patient as a few orderlies take him from your shoulder and deposit him on the surface of a workbench. Davin's head lolls to the side. He's pale as a sheet - you can't imagine that he's still alive. "We need an immediate blood transfusion, get me two bags!" She turns to you quickly. "Thank you, dear. You've done a lot of good for this man."

"He needs a good rest and a therapist after this," you try to tell her.

She nods quickly, hurriedly putting some pieces of equipment together you don't even recognize. You see the namebadge on her shirt: Ellie Mercer, Chief Medical Officer. "We'll take it from here," she assures you. "I'm not sure we can save him at this point, but we'll try everything we can. You need to get to the conference room ASAP. SCAMPS called you." She turns away and enters the rushing fray of nurses and doctors - only a handful of those currently flooding this little section of engineering.

SCAMPS?

You must've missed it.

You turn and start to leave. Behind you, you hear the doctors working on Davin announce his pulse has stopped - part of you wants to stay and make sure they'll be able to take care of him... but you know there's nothing you can do. It pains you, but you ignore it all and hurry toward the conference room.

Literally everyone else
You hurry to the conference room.
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

I wake up with a gasp, sitting up suddenly. Something catches in my throat and I enter a coughing fit. Still wheezing, I look at the doctors with bleary eyes and wince at SCAMPS' shouting. 3152? Bastards said I'd be under for a week, not thirty years. I've a sore throat and a pounding headache, not to mention the whole "can't get enough air in my lungs" thing. I ask for some water. If granted, I take a good swig. Otherwise, I glare at the nearest medical person for a moment. In either case, I ask about the other nine people who are supposedly fresh out of cryo.

0111narwhalz wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:21 pm
I wake up with a gasp, sitting up suddenly. Something catches in my throat and I enter a coughing fit. Still wheezing, I look at the doctors with bleary eyes and wince at SCAMPS' shouting. 3152? Bastards said I'd be under for a week, not thirty years. I've a sore throat and a pounding headache, not to mention the whole "can't get enough air in my lungs" thing. I ask for some water. If granted, I take a good swig. Otherwise, I glare at the nearest medical person for a moment. In either case, I ask about the other nine people who are supposedly fresh out of cryo.
It looks like you're sitting in some kind of storage area, on a makeshift operating table. Machines around you beep and hum; the whole thing looks ramshackle, like it was put together in a hurry. There are doctors and nurses scurrying about - you ask one of the ones checking on you, "Water?" The nurse quickly hands you a glass of water. "Drink carefully," she advises. "Pulling you out of cryo was really rough on your system. You'll be really sore tonight but we gave you medicine that should give you some short-term strength over the next few hours while your muscles build back up."

"What about the other nine people out of cryo?" You're pretty sure SCAMPS mentioned them.

She makes a face and hesitates. "I don't know the full details of the mission, but your PDA should have all of the details on it." She pulls said PDA off a nearby table and hands it to you as she speaks. "They're already out on their mission. You'll be joining them very soon. Our engineers have a CASKET waiting for you in the hangar - SCAMPS will call you down when it's time."

I think on this for a moment while I sip at my water. If they couldn't spare the time needed to wake me, they probably need me as soon as I can hold a stick.
Rushing off headlong is hardly advisable, though, so I read the mission information on my PDA. It'll give me a moment to finish my water and get my brain running too. My throat's already feeling better.

Online Now