Return to “REKT”

BTE Tryout Thread: Buck & Lemons

#1
BTE TRYOUT THREAD #4
Buck and Lemons (Hapchazzard and Triggerhappy)
You awaken feeling strangled, coughing and choking as you fall to your hands and knees. Your eyes open wearily - and you see nothing. Gasping for air, you glance about wildly, disoriented, and realize to your horror that you're in the middle of a vast, black emptiness. Terrified, you instinctively grasp at the void about you for something - anything - solid. You realize that despite the enveloping darkness, your arms glow with a strange light - suddenly you pause and rack your brain for any hint as to what's going on. The last you remember clearly is being sold to Tartarus Inc. You remember them strip-searching you, your last possessions taken away before the coarse-mannered guards threw you into an empty cell. Everything about it seems a struggle to recall - clouded and fogged as though a distant memory.

Welcome, a cold, hard voice speaks. It's not the infamous SCAMPS of Tartarus - it's a woman's voice: cruel, hard, and utterly devoid of sympathy. You're wondering what you're doing here. Try not to trouble yourself about it.

A glow brightens to your right - in surprise and slight fear, you scoot back across the floor as you try to assess the new threat. A human form, dressed in a Tartarus jumpsuit, appears and crumples to the floor, choking and gasping for breath.

I'm so sorry, the voice says with an air that makes it clear her words are merely a formality. I understand that this experience is mentally agonizing. We're far from perfecting cryotech, you see, but you are here to help us correct that. You are our test subjects. If you ever want to awaken, both of you will cooperate. You've always cooperated with us before, so I have no doubt you'll do so now.

Your mind whirls. You vaguely remember being pulled from your isolation cell - you remember being marched down a hallway, blindfolded, cuffed and gagged - something injected into your arm. That's all you remember. Cryotech? That doesn't even exist...

Then it sinks in: You've always cooperated with us before. "Before???"

It's "brain maintenance," the voice explains in a resigned, curt tone, as though she's said it a hundred times. Cryotech has a tendency to leave one vegetative. Now, the both of you... make your decision, and we will begin.

The void hums, and shivers to life - six pale, golden hexagons of light appear pm the floor around you, spaced well apart. On each: a short paragraph of text.

You feel like you've done this before.


But which to stand upon? And who is this person next to you?



Cultist counter
Charge into an unusual, half-biological space station to wipe out the cultists within. They seem to think they're going to summon some ancient god - which is of course nonsense. After their terroristic attacks on nearby settlements, however, nobody wants to have them around anymore.
This tile has the silhouette of a spaceship underneath the text.

VIP recovery
It's come to your government's attention that one of their top officials is stranded in the middle of a war-torn city. You'll be dropped in nearby via pod. Your task is to get him back safely to the nearest LZ for extraction.

Zombie strike
Typical zombie scenario. Your little group of three is trying to break into a secure bomb shelter, but the zombies have figured out where you are. They're coming. Take cover and hold them off for as long as possible before you're inevitably eaten.

Escaping captivity
You awaken, drugged and confused, somewhere you don't quite recognize. It seems you're being held captive by a local gang for interrogation. Don't give them the opportunity, and do whatever it takes to escape.

Town search
In a busy marketplace, try to hunt down and question a particular target without attracting too much attention. You're also trying to hide from a group of people that want to kill you, but your disguises work well enough - for now.

Something different
You are thrown into a random mission without any idea of what you're up against. It may or may not suit your abilities and loadout.
A question mark dominates this particular hexagon.

Spoiler:      SHOW
- This is canon, but your character does not necessarily need to remember it. You have the OOC option to have a mindwipe of the experience post-tryout/pre-campaign. Whether your teammate's character remembers the experience is up to them.
- This is VR. You know this, but your character does not necessarily know this. Whether your character can figure it out is up to your discretion.
- A spaceship silhouette means the mission is CASKET-based.
- Your mission selection is quasi-randomly assigned with a weighted algorithm that takes your personalities, stats, skills, and official loudout into account.
- On average, half your tryout points will come from the tryout mission itself. You are being judged from the moment the thread is posted.
- Each team will have their own tryout thread. Do not post in someone else's thread.
- Type in ((out of character parentheses)) in the tryout thread if you feel it necessary. No need to post elsewhere - it's your thread and no one else's, so you needn't feel bad about cluttering it up.
- There are no maps. As this is VR, it uses "fluid space" as REKT VR traditionally has - that is to say, if you imagine something is there, it may well be there (unless I say it isn't). In a forest and need cover? Say there's a tree next to you and duck behind it. This will probably work. Want a bigger weapon? Say you pick up your death ray from behind the counter - but don't be surprised if I say there's nothing there. Use common sense and don't try to cheat the system - and above all, ignore nothing that I say.
- To activate your choice, both of you must stand on your golden hexagon.
- If you die, that's okay. If you die within the first turn or two, that's not okay.
- Don't be surprised if I cut the mission short. I almost certainly will. These are not meant to be full missions - it is merely a sample to judge from.
- Asking for ideas from other people is completely permitted. Offering ideas is completely permitted as well - as long as you don't do it in someone else's thread.
- Poor performance of your teammate does not mean you do any more poorly in the tryout. You are judged separately.
- I will be judging a number of things, but can't give specifics without compromising the judging process.
- Have fun! If it's not fun for you, let me know, and I'll try to switch things around.
Image
Have a question? Send me a PM!

Re: BTE Tryout Thread: Buck & Lemons

#2
Compose myself.
Check to see if I have weapons on me. ( Feel very disappointed that I don't. )
Examine the stranger next to me. (Step AWAY from the stranger.) Examine the hexagons.


Glowing hexagons. No real. Read about this somewhere. Must be drugs. Why am I high on drugs? I don't remember that. Last I drank was coffee in my cell. Drugs in coffee? Cell? What cell. Prisoner.

I am a prisoner, and I was put to sleep. This must be the cryosleep pre-awakening brain maintenance. I read about this too.


Re-read the hexagons. Look at my neighbor. "Are you pilot? Infantry? Engineer?"
Last edited by Triggerhappy on Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image

Re: BTE Tryout Thread: Buck & Lemons

#4
I SERVE DEATH THROUGH THE BARREL OF MY GUN
Withhold the facepalming and the anger at the inferior intellect of this drunkie. Not everyone has the same collection of technological understanding as mine.

Alright let's try this the long way.


"Think. This is important. Where are we? Consider void. And glowing."

Hope that I have no need to explain it all to him.

Maybe I AM high on something?
Last edited by Triggerhappy on Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image

Re: BTE Tryout Thread: Buck & Lemons

#5
Triggerhappy wrote:I SERVE DEATH THROUGH THE BARREL OF MY GUN
Withhold the facepalming and the anger at the inferior intellect of this drunkie. Not everyone has the same collection of technological understanding as mine.

Alright let's try this the long way.


"Think. This is important. Where are we? Consider void. And glowing."

Hope that I have no need to explain it all to him.

Maybe I AM high on something?
Not really even paying much attention to what Lemon is saying, rubbing my eyes
"Fella, I can't do no damn thinkin' when I'm this dry... And anyways, where the heck are we? And what are them shiny things?"
Image

Re: BTE Tryout Thread: Buck & Lemons

#7
Triggerhappy wrote:Go and sit on the 'Cultist Counter' Hexagon.

Idiot. Drunkie. Alcohol? Here? No. After? Mess Hall?

Snap fingers to get Buck's attention. "Alcohol will be - afterwards. Complete mission. Survive - get alcohol if you do. Acceptable?"
Immediately feeling more lucid and focused upon the finger snap, looking at and approaching Lemons

"Oh yeah, mission! Now I remember - darn, I'm still at that shitty, good-for-nothin' ship."

Enthusiastically:"This the part where we go kill things? Oh damn, this gonna be good. Hope they remembered to pack some whiskey, it's hard to focus without it!"

Stand next to Lemons.
Image

Re: BTE Tryout Thread: Buck & Lemons

#8
((One of you guys are using bold to denote actions, and the other is using italics. Please use underlines from now on - it helps me find your actions a lot faster, leaves me a happier GM, and therefore leaves you a happier player.))
Image
Have a question? Send me a PM!

Re: BTE Tryout Thread: Buck & Lemons

#9
TURN 1

Cultist counter
Charge into an unusual, half-biological space station to wipe out the cultists within. They seem to think they're going to summon some ancient god - which is of course nonsense. After their terroristic attacks on nearby settlements, however, nobody wants to have them around anymore.


The hexagon below your feet glows to a bright, brilliant gold, shining up around you, casting flickering shimmers across the clothes of you and your companion, rising upwards in a climbing crescendo of light as it drowns out all else - so strong you can almost feel it - almost taste it -

- and then, with a flash... it's gone. There is nothing.

There isn't sound - there isn't light - not even your hands are visible. It's as though naught exists but your thoughts, and that in a vacuum. The world around you darkens even further - blacker than your mind can even process.

And all is quiet.

It stays that way... but only for a moment.

You're sitting in a CASKET in a rather dark star system, lit faintly by a red dwarf. Across from you, in a nearly identical CASKET, is your companion, and before you is a monstrosity you can hardly imagine being real: a slowly writhing mass of flesh and steel in the form of some vaguely defined "space station". It's an enormous bag of slimy, wrinkled flesh, protected only by an airshield and encrusted with bits of modern technology. You've been hunting it for a while - it doesn't show up well on sensors. Your little settlement - Eleric Station - has been raided four times up to this point for "sacrifices". Out of desperation, they assembled a small team with stolen Tartarus Inc. gear, intending to wreck the station and kill all aboard.

That's you.

Complicating things is the fact that they seem to be attempting to summon some kind of ancient beast - and they've done it before, just on a smaller scale. They seem to be using some kind of unheard-of technology. None of the leaders at Eleric have even heard of anything like it, but the fact remains - if they continue getting sacrifices, eventually they'll wipe you out... and if they summon whatever they're trying to summon... well. You don't know what would happen, but none of you want to find out, based on the last creatures they "tested" on your small population.

"Fifteen seconds, strike team," you hear over the comms. Sam's voice is clear as ever - something of an encouragement as you close the last few kilometers to the station. The plan is to enter the airshield and ram the station - to bust directly through the outer "hull" of the flesh mass... hopefully finding some sort of cavernous area within. Your mission is simple: completely destroy the cultists, no matter what it takes.

"Five seconds. Good luck, strike team."

The fleshy mass, pulsating in the most stomach-turning manner imaginable, seems to expand as you approach, giving you the feeling that you're falling towards it. You brace yourself for impact as it fills your field of vision.

"Two... One..."

The sudden jolt of impact nearly throws you out of your seat; you hear ripping flesh, twisting metal - and then all is silent. As the gooey, bloody mass of debris begins to drip and slide down the side of your cockpit canopy, your eyes adjust to the dim, reddish-gold light of the station's interior.

You seem to be in some kind of massive antechamber - a large archway leads out the back of this tall room, and a deep chasm lies below. Tentacles writhe on the walls, searching for you. A number of red-robed cultists on the "ground" - fleshy shelves on the walls - begin firing small arms at you; others wave their hands like they're casting magic spells.

But it gets worse. From several metallic plates embedded in the fleshy walls, large turrets begin to protrude, circling their triple-barreled guns slowly in your direction.
Image
Have a question? Send me a PM!

Re: BTE Tryout Thread: Buck & Lemons

#10
"Pal, you mind taking care of 'em magicians over there? I don't want no voodoo hocus-pocus interferin' with my work here. I'll handle the rest. They ain't no match for me!"
Last edited by Hapchazzard on Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image

Re: BTE Tryout Thread: Buck & Lemons

#12
Triggerhappy wrote:"Bomb?"

((Ninja PS: How does Buck know Lemons is named Lemons? :V ))
((Fixed))

"Oh. That's actually exactly what I meant! Ya see, when I said deal with them magicians, what I really meant was... You know, I'll explain later, right now I'm very busy here!"

if there's a way for us to exit the ship temporarily to take cover(also, if the organic ship's hull isn't healing too fast - we don't want to get locked out!)
-Get my ship close to the archway
-Unload the bomb on top of the arch
-Leave through the whole we've entered.
-when we both reach a safe distance from the bomb
--Detonate the thing!
when a tentacle gets too close to my ship for my liking
-Microwave it
Try and quickly get/hack info on the turrets on my way out - mainly how they locate targets(thermal, kinetic, manually controlled, etc.) as well as their precise locations
when I have a moment of relative peace and safety(for example, when outside the ship)
-Quickly rummage through the cockpit to locate any kind of drink
-Do not, at any point, exceed my max weapon attacks(so I don't get a penalty)

((Any problem with these actions Tal?))
Last edited by Hapchazzard on Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Image

Re: BTE Tryout Thread: Buck & Lemons

#13
((No, except you should be aware that you leave me a huge amount of leeway for choosing when things get done (I can do those "while" actions whenever I please) - and as you can probably tell from the Saoirse/Bob and especially the Frank/Caleb missions, I am very much not on your side right now. :D ))
Image
Have a question? Send me a PM!

Re: BTE Tryout Thread: Buck & Lemons

#14
Talvieno wrote:((Yes, except you should be aware that you leave me a huge amount of leeway for choosing when things get done (I can do those "while" actions whenever I please) - and as you can probably tell from the Saoirse/Bob and especially the Frank/Caleb missions, I am very much not on your side right now. :D ))
((Alright, I'll try to be more specific with the timing... just to be safe :) .))
Image

Re: BTE Tryout Thread: Buck & Lemons

#15
Smile.

If at any point I somehow end up outside of my ship
- Take cover if possible
- Take 5 shots with my assault rifle ( if enemy is at short range ) or Gauss rifle ( if enemy is at long range ) at the most immediate dangers that I think I can kill.


Maneuver several times around the room, drawing fire away from Buck, and evading inbound fire as well as possible.
If possible / decently safe, do a low flyby over the balcony, trying to knock the space wizards off of their balconies. ( Do this while I maneuver around the room as said one line above )


Once Buck sets the bomb, fly out through the hole we entered through ( ram if the hole started to close up ).
Wait for the detonation.
Monitor the situation through my and Buck's cameras ( with my Command Center ) and alert Buck if any new threats appear.


Try to recall what I know about he Cultist 'magic'.

(( I suggest you don't 'if' the bomb, or Tal will say " Nope I don't think it will blow up the archway (even if It might) and you will be left doing absolutely nothing the whole turn :D ))
Last edited by Triggerhappy on Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image

Online Now

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron