Return to “REKT”

Re: REKT: Beyond The Edge (Main Thread)

Not the bear, sorry. Maybe next time, meanwhile, grab some pasta and listen to what I say, you filthy infidels! :D

Name: Ishmael Big bin Mahmood
Personal Information: Ishmael is an old, overweight man clad in simple grey clothes and wearing an eypatch - but he is also a Doctor of Theology with FSM Holy Church - a fact he'll make known on every suitable and unsuitable occasion. Unlike most other inmates, he claims that he joined REKT on his own volition, intending to be a missionary and bring light, piety and salvation to all lost and deceived souls on Tartarus, and purge the heathens and heretics who refuse to accept his teachings.

His eyepatch is an article of faith. He really, really prefers to be called 'Doctor Ishmael'.

Personality: Charismatic, fiery and enthusiastic when performing his sacred duties, he is tired, disinterested and passive when at rest. He will do his best to offer the comforting light of the One True Faith to all those who seek it - and to all those who do not.

Reason your character got REKT: Claims to be a volunteer.

Stats:
  Energy: 0
  Durability: 0
  Maneuverability: 1
  Hacking: -2
  Computer: -2
  PSI Unit: 2
  Robotics: -2
  Engines: 0
Skills:
  Charisma: 2
  Intuition: 0
  Handiwork: -2
  Conventional: -2
  Unconventional: -2
  Exotics: 2
  General Knowledge: -2
  Auxiliary: -2

Purchases:
- Sideshield Upgrade (both robotic arms) (-2 cr)
- Tentacle Graft (-1 cr) (pending Tal's approval)
- PSI Pack (0 cr)
- Charismatic Amp Unit (0 cr)
- Gravity Amp Unit (0 cr)
- Electro Amp Unit (0 cr)
- Quantum Lash (0 cr)
2 credits remain.
Spoiler:      SHOW
What was your character's dream, before getting shipped to Tartarus? Was there anything in particular your character dreamed of accomplishing someday?
The light, the dark, then the light again. I almost saw Him with my inner eye - the one that's always covered with the eyepatch. His Noodly Appendages touched me very softly, and I felt much pleasure, and a booming voice like a thunder told me: "I'm really really, really bored." What to reply, I knew not; and after an awkward pause, He touched me again, and said, "Go, go whence no man has made pasta before; go and bring those poor souls to the warmth and medium fat content of the pasta bowl, and ye might yet find yer own salvation!"

A sudden light appeared, and a host of strippers came with barrels of grog and rum and honey wine, and He flapped His Noodly Appendages around, and said, 'Shit. I'm bored. Let's have a party!"

I woke up on a wooden bench in the park, having no clothes and with a terrible, terrible headache. But I knew what must be done.

What's a serious flaw your character has, that he/she has difficulty overcoming even when it matters most? Feel free to list more than one.
- He eats way too much;
- He sleeps way too much;
- He likes men way too much;
- He likes women way too much;
- He relies on his faith more than on his actual capabilities.

Does your character have any interests? Hobbies? Passions or strong opinions? Relate two or more of these.

His work, his past-time, his hobby and his life is dedicated to only one thing - bringing more people into the Light of the Church. Oh, and he's exceptionally good at sailing and drinking grog.

Tell a short story about a scenario where your character is forced to leave an ally behind to finish the mission.

"Grogul, get into cover, now!"
Young man begun ducking, but it was too late. The high-velocity projectile hit him in the head, its plastic casing shattering into tiny bits that continued moving through flesh, bone and brain at several kilometres per second. His entire head exploded, leaving nothing but a stump of his neck.
"Noooo! Nooooo! NOOOOOOO!"
The fire was coming at him now; Ishmael's PSI shields started failing one after another, but he no longer cared. He'd die here, on this ugly rock close to his faithful companion, and they'll both enter His kingdom after the life of service to the FSM. He transferred all his mental energy towards offensive weapons, and with a quick prayer, fired his electro-amp unit, and, just as he closed his eyes and prepared to die, was swept from his feet by an enormous shockwave. After he got up, he saw only Grogul's headless corpse, and remains of the enemy fighting vehicle, still glowing hot from the explosion. His electro-amp fried the power core, making it fail in an instant.
"Why...oh FSM, why? WHY?"
He gently lifted Grogul's body from the ground. There was no beer and no ramen to go with, and no sea to conduct a proper funeral. With hundreds of miles till the extraction point, he could not bring the body with him.
"I'm sorry, my dearest friend. FSM's willed me to continue the road, and I shall do his bidding. I am sure that's how you'd want it, too. I shall never forget you."
He put the body into what remained of the fighting vehicle, and it took fire instantly.

"He was like a meatball fondled by the tiny hands of youth,
before it is seasoned
and tenderized
and baked;
Let him find peace and warmth at thy side.
Ramen!"

Ishmael, his eyes in tears, turned East and continued walking towards the extraction point.

Tell a short story about a scenario where your character would be in his/her element.

"The sinning was in the air, they said. I've been there among the Unbelievers, a poor, lost soul. And then, an old man wearing an eyepatch came into the room. He looked at us, and in his eyes I saw the depth of all my mistakes. The man started singing in low, forceful voice, and as I listened, the tears started rolling from my eyes.

He is like a sweater that enfolds me in ragu with meatballs.
His delicious smell wafts unto me as a song that would fill my ears,
Or as the touch of his Noodly Appendage opens my eyes and brings to me a taste
Of divine understanding as if his Meatballs have spoken to my skin.

I cried, and cried, and then, suddenly, I understood that I found peace. I was no longer lost. I fell on my knees, and started praying, and my eyes filled with tears again - but those were tears of joy, for I was saved. Doctor Ishmael - he saved me. We threw a party that night, and drunk, and danced, and I was one with the world and laughing as if I were a kid again, and Doctor Ishmael came to me with a huge mug of grog, and took a healthy sip of it, and said to me: "That's some good shit". I've never seen Doctor Ishmael again, but since that day, I knew that whenever I was in doubt, the FSM would always be there for me."

Tell a short story about a scenario where your character is forced to make a difficult decision.

Two rum bottles looked almost identical. The volume was the same, the labels were unintelligible, and he had money only for one. He could, of course, invoke the Pirate Rule and take both bottles, but it was a friendly place, staffed by True Believers. And he respected them too much to just take whatever he wanted.

"Arrr! Me throat is as dry as oolek's shit under the Aldebarani sun! Owner, hark! Me be in the need of some good advice. Which of those bottles be the best for a humble servant of His Noodliness?
" 'Dat is hard to say, yer grace! Both are excellent spirits, soft and strong! You can't go wrong choosing any of them!"
" 'Dis is true, my friend! But I must decide, and decide I can't! "
" Do you wish me to choose for ye, esteemed Pirate?"
" Arrr! That be making it easier! "

When Ishmael returned home, he opened the bottle, and uttered a long, sincere prayer for the health of simple folk who made his life of sacrifice and servitude worth living.
And then, he drunk all of it.
Last edited by outlander on Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:00 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Survivor of the Josh Parnell Blackout of 2015.

Just a couple things.

First, your name is a bit long. :P I think it's the longest name we've seen so far. I'd rather not push it - would rather put my foot down now than have to do so later. Just shorten it a few characters - perhaps remove the Th.D, or call him Doctor Ishmael if you want to go all the way, for instance. Try to get down to 24 or less, which is a nice round number that looks good on the wiki.

Second, you have +0 Energy. This allows you three weapons.
- Your PSI Pack is counted as a "heavy weapon" and takes up two weapon slots.
- Your CRISP takes up one slot.
- Your Quantum Lash takes up one slot.

You'll need to either dump the PSI pack and the cartridges (which will give you room for another weapon), the CRISP, or the Quantum Lash.

All that said, I really like this character and the detail/creativity on your questions is amazing. :P
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Talvieno wrote:Just a couple things.

First, your name is a bit long. :P I think it's the longest name we've seen so far. I'd rather not push it - would rather put my foot down now than have to do so later. Just shorten it a few characters - perhaps remove the Th.D, or call him Doctor Ishmael if you want to go all the way, for instance. Try to get down to 24 or less, which is a nice round number that looks good on the wiki.

Second, you have +0 Energy. This allows you three weapons.
- Your PSI Pack is counted as a "heavy weapon" and takes up two weapon slots.
- Your CRISP takes up one slot.
- Your Quantum Lash takes up one slot.

You'll need to either dump the PSI pack and the cartridges (which will give you room for another weapon), the CRISP, or the Quantum Lash.

All that said, I really like this character and the detail/creativity on your questions is amazing. :P
Edited and corrected.
Survivor of the Josh Parnell Blackout of 2015.

Name: Brom Keegan
Personal Information: Brom was born in a town on the heavily forested world of Crius IV.
He has red hair, a pale complexion, is taller than average and has a muscular build.
His father, Conroy, was a weapon merchant, whilst his mother, Shannah, was a gunsmith.
Thanks to his parent's professions, Brom was around guns from a very early age, and they did their best to educate him in their use as he grew.
Though it could be a bit hectic for them at times, the Keegan family was able to live peacefully for the most part and were well-off thanks to the high number of vicious predators that inhabited the planet. Things would not always remain this way, however...

Around the time when Brom was twelve, a rather unpleasant individual showed up at his father's store requesting to buy gauss rifle. Conroy quickly learned that this man was a known criminal by the name of Jaryn Foley, and refused to deal with him. Conroy's refusal angered Jaryn, who began swearing at Conroy and threatening to harm his family. This wasn't the first time that Conroy had dealt with behavior like this, and he thought it was no different than any other time.
He calmly sent Brom out of the room and requested that Mr. Foley leave his shop, and did his best to explain that he wasn't allowed to sell weapons to criminals.
Being told to leave infuriated Jaryn further, who without allowing Conroy to finish, stormed out of the building with a few parting insults. Mr. Keegan thought that was the end of it, and went back to his work.

Unfortunately, it wouldn't be long before things went south.
About two weeks after the incident, Shannah went missing, much to Conroy's dismay.
Fearing the worst, he quickly organized a search party and went looking for her.
Her body was found in a shipping container on the outside of town a couple days later, along with a note from the killer that read "You were warned."
The search was over, though that would not be the end of it.

Conroy, though devastated by his wife's death, could think of nothing but revenge, and so he hired a private investigator to learn of Jaryn's whereabouts.
Within a short time it was revealed that Jaryn had entered a forest nearby, upon learning this, Conroy started packing.
The day after Shannah's funeral, he was ready. He entrusted his business to a close friend, and started off after Foley, taking Brom with him.
Unfortunately for the father/son duo, Jaryn knew he would be followed. He had counted on it, and planned accordingly. He knew the forest and its dangers well, and was no stranger to running.
They would pursue Jaryn Foley for six years before they finally caught him, and though his death would be relieving for the Keegan family, it would split up its two remaining members.

Conroy was satisfied with having avenged his wife, and returned to town to settle back down.
Brom on the other hand found the hunt to be enjoyable, and against his father's wishes, left to pursue a career as a hit man.

Knowing that there would be little need for a hit man on Crius IV, Brom sought out a way to go off-world. After a day or so of searching, Brom came across the Progeny, a trading vessel in a nearby port that was in need of a gunner. He quickly joined their crew, and traveled with them for a couple years, manning the guns when needed and doing odd jobs in his free time.
He eventually left the Progeny when he came to a middle world called Svartalfheim. The world was covered in when cities and slums, and there were many competing business, which Brom saw as perfect for career he wanted.

He based himself in a city called Ermhelm, and tried to find work in the city's underground, only to find that its locals did not trust outsiders. Brom was determined however, and was eventually approached by a local business owner who was hoping to rid himself of some of his competition. Brom accepted, and soon completed the job, earning himself a bit of trust in the process.
He continued to do small jobs for the next year or so, and though he was fine with the small stuff, he was always looking forward to doing a larger, more difficult job. He got his chance when the vice-president of JotunTech -A large electronics manufacturer- came to him asking that he eliminate Honir Jorgenson, the company's CEO, so that he could take his place. After going over the details, and a bit of haggling, Brom agreed to do the job.

Brom's plan was to attack Jorgenson in his home, assumedly because his work place was too heavily populated. After a few days of studying, he felt that he knew enough about his target and his house to act. He made his move at night, expecting Honir to be asleep. Luck was not on his side, however, as not only was Honir awake, but he had been expecting an attack, and had a number of guards with him.
Brom was shot in the leg, which prevented him from escaping, allowing him to be captured.
Things may have turned out differently for Brom had he not been afraid of heights, as there would have been a few opportunities to shoot Honir through a window from a nearby rooftop.
After being put through the local court process, he was sentenced to life imprisonment for his various murders, and handed over to Tartarus.
Personality: On the outside, Brom is somewhat hammy. He is friendly, cheerful, and often tries to make others laugh.
When focused on work or alone however, that kind attitude melts away revealing a cold, bitter individual.
During this state, he can be easily irritated by those that aren't careful.
He dislikes discussing himself and his past, as that tends to bring up bad memories.
Brom avoids showing his true feelings when possible, believing that it makes him appear weak.

Brom regrets having become a hit man, as by making that choice, he has turned into thing he originally despised and hunted.
He continues now only to survive, with thee hope that he can one day return to his home on Crius IV, though he knows there is little chance of that.
Reason your character got REKT: He became an assassin and killed an undetermined number of people, and was eventually caught and sent to the Tartarus after sentencing.
Brom spent 30 years in cryo.
Stats:
  Energy: 2
  Durability: 0
  Maneuverability: 0
  Hacking: -2
  Computer: 0
  PSI Unit: 0
  Robotics: -1
  Engines: 0
Skills:
  Charisma: 0
  Intuition: 0
  Handiwork: 0
  Conventional: 2
  Unconventional: 0
  Exotics: -2
  General Knowledge: -1
  Auxiliary: 0

Purchases:
What was your character's dream, before getting shipped to Tartarus? Was there anything in particular your character dreamed of accomplishing someday?
Before getting caught and given to Tarturus, Brom hoped to one day find a challenging hunt that would require all of his skills to complete.

List a few ways your character's personality could develop and/or change over the course of the story.
He could become more withdrawn, and/or less cheerful.
If something particularly bad happened, he could could become bitter even around other people.
He could eventually learn to be more open about his feelings.

What really sets your character apart from other characters, and makes your character unique?
He's a friendly hitman.

What's a serious flaw your character has, that he/she has difficulty overcoming even when it matters most? Feel free to list more than one.
Brom finds it difficult to get along with those who dislike, or are against guns.
When concentrating on work, he is often bitter towards others, and can be irritated if they engage him in unnecessary conversation.
He also has a fear of heights.

Does your character have any interests? Hobbies? Passions or strong opinions? Relate two or more of these.
Brom has a strong interest in firearms, and enjoys talking to people about them.
His love of these weapons is so strong that he often times has a hard time understanding why other people why dislike or avoid them.
Brom also enjoys hunting, though slightly less so than he did before getting captured.
He also has a love of various jigs and reels, which were popular on his homeworld.

Tell a short story about something that happened between your character and someone they were close to before they got shipped to Tartarus.
Brom's stay at Svartalfheim was not spent entirely in solitude.
Not long before his incarceration, he accidently ran into a woman while on his way to buy ammo.
He soon learned that her name was Atla, and shortly thereafter, they started dating.
Things between them were going well, and she was in the process of moving in with him, when he was hired by someone to kill an annoying coworker.
Brom finished the job by shooting his target in the head from behind. He was in the process of congratulating himself for the clean kill, when Atla walked around the corner…
It turned out that the man he had just killed was her brother. Atla, shocked and in tears, tried to call the police, which caused Brom to panic, and kill Atla.
He later regained his senses and has regretted his actions ever since.
Got my character up. I'll work on the loadout a bit later. :-)
Looking forward to seeing how everything works out, Tal. :wave:
Last edited by Hema on Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:59 am, edited 3 times in total.
Breaker of fortune cookies

Yes, that's what I mean.
Tal, if you manage to do everyone's tryouts (that's, like, 6 VR missions + judging) and start the mission in 2 weeks with so much time to spare that waiting until I'm back isn't an option I'll be quite astonished :P I was mostly thinking about my tryout being done as one of the last in that case since I didn't actually imagine you being done with all by then anyway.
(that said, should hopefully not be needed, we had internet there last time)
Warning: do not ask about physics unless you really want to know about physics.
The LT IRC / Alternate link || The REKT Wiki || PUDDING

You're almost certainly right on that, Dino. :P It shouldn't cause many problems.

NOW, to announce the first three teams:
  • Team 1:
    • Saoirse (Dinosawer)
    • Bob (Cha0zz)
  • Team 2:
    • Gearhead (Cornflakes)
    • Miranda (Black--Snow)
  • Team 3:
    • Frank (F4wk35)
    • Caleb (Cuisinart8)
I'm going to hold off on the rest for now.
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Name: Justin Miles
Personal Information: Justin Miles grew up on a desert-like planet, though trees and grasses were not uncommon. His father died of animal venom when Justin was young, which led him to leave his home in order to earn money to support his family, but later learned that they had all died during a harsh sand storm.

Justin Miles is a 6'2" caucasian male, with dark brown hair clipped short but not spiky, with pale blue eyes.
Personality: Justin Miles is quiet and reserved, but not afraid to yell at people who consistently hurt his friends. He tends to get suicidal rather easily, yet would never actually commit suicide for fear of upsetting the few people who truly care about him.
Reason your character got REKT: Justin Miles was caught dating a girl, whose father, who happened to be the governor of the entire star system, became very enraged, and had him arrested on the spot.

As Miles was being taken to prison, the girl, intending to either go with him, or convince her father not to send him, rushed over to him, but was run over by a hovercar, which killed her quite completely. Because of this, her father, blaming Miles for the accident, had him shipped to the Tartarus, intending him to die there.
Stats:
  Energy: 1
  Durability: 1
  Maneuverability: 0
  Hacking: 0
  Computer: -2
  PSI Unit: 0
  Robotics: 0
  Engines: -1
Skills:
  Charisma: 1
  Intuition: -2
  Handiwork: -2
  Conventional: 2
  Unconventional: -2
  Exotics: -2
  General Knowledge: -2
  Auxiliary: 1

Purchases:
Miles, despite being terrible at medical procedures, intended to enter medical school, and earn enough money to support a family.

List a few ways your character's personality could develop and/or change over the course of the story.
Miles could become more outgoing, and less depressed/suicidal. Or he could withdraw into isolation, and end up taking his own life, or setting himself up so that he dies.

A serious flaw that Miles has not yet overcome is his tendency to withdraw into complete isolation from his friends when some traumatic event occurs to him.

Miles enjoys farming and hunting, both of which are essential to survival on his homeworld. He has shown a growing interest in drawing, but has thus far failed to practice his hand at the art.

Tell a short story about something that happened between your character and someone they were close to before they got shipped to Tartarus.
Miles and another girl grew very fond of each other, and sometimes managed to escape with each other without the girl's father knowing. However, they were caught, he was arrested, and she died trying to prevent his arrest.

Tell a short story about a scenario where your character dies in what he/she would consider the best way possible.
Miles figures the best possible way to die would be to do so while fighting to save the life of someone very close to him.
I am Groot.
Please don't take my advice. You will wind up in jail if you do.
For some reason, I feel obliged to display how many people have talked in IRC over the past 2 hours: Image :problem:
:ugeek:

Online Now