Return to “REKT”

Re: REKT: Beyond The Edge (Main Thread)

Hi, I made a character. You'll meet him someday, his name is Farilla DuPree. I think he could be a pretty fun character to be. However...

I've never played a RPG that didn't involve a controller and television. Aside from keeping some rough notes (I'll need these, memory isn't what it used to be...at least for the minutiae) on the story, what my character does/doesn't know, etc., any other suggestions for not F'ing up too much? I've read the gamut here on the site, but practical experience is different from the book, no?
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things."
-Col. Lewis B. Puller, USMC

Hiya, thesleeve o/

Haven't quite gotten around to reading through your character (sorry for that :oops: ) but for general tips there's probably the Wiki to relate to, especially the tips-pages linked below:

http://lt-rekt.wikidot.com/tips-for-new-players

http://lt-rekt.wikidot.com/tips-on-writing-actions

That should be a rather good start for beginning.

Aside from that, when you get to playing, remind the other players to perhaps go over your actions again. Most of us made the same mistake with the multi-roll rules when you attack more often than your stats actually allow at first. No need to be ashamed about that.

For the part with the Role-playing...only a quite small part of the playerbase has actual experiences with real RP. So don't sweat it!

And in general, usually there are a few players on the IRC channel. If there's questions or something, you'll find someone there! :)
Apparently, sometimes stuff might happen.
- - - - - - - -

thesleeve wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:50 am
Hi, I made a character. You'll meet him someday, his name is Farilla DuPree. I think he could be a pretty fun character to be. However...

I've never played a RPG that didn't involve a controller and television. Aside from keeping some rough notes (I'll need these, memory isn't what it used to be...at least for the minutiae) on the story, what my character does/doesn't know, etc., any other suggestions for not F'ing up too much? I've read the gamut here on the site, but practical experience is different from the book, no?
Know the multiroll rules or else you'll be having Fun TimesTM when you get ones and twos for the affected actions :P

thesleeve wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:50 am

Really, the most important thing in tl;dr is "Don't fire more times than you're allowed" (on ship, one per weapon. on foot, one per free infantry item count.) Also important is never to "do something until it works". This ends badly. Your actions are not truly infinite - they are more "technically potentially infinite". :P

And finally, roleplaying the heck out of things is very good for your character's continued survival. :D That, and not doing anything stupid. Not doing anything stupid probably comes first.
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Thanks folks! :) I'll be following the story of course...as poorly as I feel for Miranda/Black-Snow, it was that sudden and early death that caught my attention...[gravitas intensifies] "Dang man, this is for keeps! Rad..." I'm looking forward to eventually joining in, of course that means the inevitable demise of some of the current cast of characters! :ghost: :ghost: C'est la vie!
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things."
-Col. Lewis B. Puller, USMC

So, now you guys know why it took so long. Had to make the inside of the nacelle, polish the inside of the grav plant (still need to do... something, to the inside of the grav plant, to make it more obvious where cover is I think). Also needed to figure out how to introduce this particular character to Beta... which felt... quite tricky. He underwent a lot of character redesign during the process.

On an entirely different note - I'm really loving the Buck/Frank/Hema banter. :D
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Neither of them think to turn their helmet lights on - perhaps they've forgotten they were there, or perhaps even, they never knew or thought to look. Had they turned their helmet lights on and taken a good look around, they might have noticed the shadowy individual stalking them in the distance - but unfortunately, this thought never occurs to them
Actually, I didn't forget and put it in my original "going inside" post to turn it on, but I guess that doesn't fit the narrative :ghost:
also: whut
Warning: do not ask about physics unless you really want to know about physics.
The LT IRC / Alternate link || The REKT Wiki || PUDDING

Online Now