Return to “REKT”

Re: REKT: Beyond The Edge (Main Thread)

Dinosawer wrote:Just arrived - I have internet and can tryout just fine. :D
Wish you nice holidays Dino. Restore some energy, get some rest, and come back refreshed (well, you're not leaving US HERE, but you get what I mean). ;)
Automation engineer, lateral thinker, soldier, addicted to music, books and gaming.
Nothing to see here
Flatfingers wrote: 23.01.2017: "Show me the smoldering corpse of Perfectionist Josh"

Hapchazzard - a minor detail that escaped me the first time - your character can't "willingly join" the REKT program - at most you can pay to get taken as a prisoner aboard the Tartarus, but getting into REKT would be a tossup where there's a 97% chance you get euthanized. Just making sure we're clear on that. (Of course, that doesn't matter in this particular instance - you never made it to the Tartarus - but your character wouldn't know that was going to happen.)
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Talvieno wrote:Hapchazzard - a minor detail that escaped me the first time - your character can't "willingly join" the REKT program - at most you can pay to get taken as a prisoner aboard the Tartarus, but getting into REKT would be a tossup where there's a 97% chance you get euthanized. Just making sure we're clear on that. (Of course, that doesn't matter in this particular instance - you never made it to the Tartarus - but your character wouldn't know that was going to happen.)
Maybe he wanted suicide with a 97% success rate?
<Detritus> I went up to my mom and said "hey... do you feel like giving five dollars to black lives matter?" and she laughed and said no :v <Black--Snow> my life does matter though ~~ added by Hema on Jun 11 2020 (2770)

Talvieno wrote:Hapchazzard - a minor detail that escaped me the first time - your character can't "willingly join" the REKT program - at most you can pay to get taken as a prisoner aboard the Tartarus, but getting into REKT would be a tossup where there's a 97% chance you get euthanized. Just making sure we're clear on that. (Of course, that doesn't matter in this particular instance - you never made it to the Tartarus - but your character wouldn't know that was going to happen.)
I didn't know that actually. I'd imagine my character wouldn't have even known the huge chance of not surviving to REKT, since the whole "clear the dirt off the family name" thing was a ruse to quietly get rid of him, but due to sheer dumb luck he actually reached REKT anyway.

If you don't like or find that explanation adequate, though, I can change my bio a bit, of course.

I'm about to post the first tryout thread.

Some things you need to know:

- This is canon, but your character does not necessarily need to remember it. You have the OOC option to have a mindwipe of the experience post-tryout/pre-campaign. Whether your teammate's character remembers the experience is up to them.
- This is VR. You know this, but your character does not necessarily know this. Whether your character can figure it out is up to your discretion.
- A spaceship silhouette means the mission is CASKET-based.
- Your mission selection is quasi-randomly assigned with a weighted algorithm that takes your personalities, stats, skills, and official loudout into account.
- On average, half your tryout points will come from the tryout mission itself. You are being judged from the moment the thread is posted.
- Each team will have their own tryout thread. Do not post in someone else's thread.
- Type in ((out of character parentheses)) in the tryout thread if you feel it necessary. No need to post elsewhere - it's your thread and no one else's, so you needn't feel bad about cluttering it up.
- There are no maps. As this is VR, it uses "fluid space" as REKT VR traditionally has - that is to say, if you imagine something is there, it may well be there (unless I say it isn't). In a forest and need cover? Say there's a tree next to you and duck behind it. This will probably work. Want a bigger weapon? Say you pick up your death ray from behind the counter - but don't be surprised if I say there's nothing there. Use common sense and don't try to cheat the system - and above all, ignore nothing that I say.
- To activate your choice, both of you must stand on your golden hexagon.
- If you die, that's okay. If you die within the first turn or two, that's not okay.
- Don't be surprised if I cut the mission short. I almost certainly will. These are not meant to be full missions - it is merely a sample to judge from.
- Asking for ideas from other people is completely permitted. Offering ideas is completely permitted as well - as long as you don't do it in someone else's thread.
- Poor performance of your teammate does not mean you do any more poorly in the tryout. You are judged separately.
- I will be judging a number of things, but can't give specifics without compromising the judging process.
- Have fun! If it's not fun for you, let me know, and I'll try to switch things around.
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Good luck kids :p If I was more active I would seriously join this but seeing as how I pop on like 1-2x per week and I feel like I have missed out on a lot, Dak Perkins will observe and silently hope all of you die :ghost: I was tempted to copy and paste my character but haven't read enough to see what updates/tweaks have come about and don't want to feel completely out of the loop. Well, off to my evening job :cry:
Image "Everyone needs to have their avatar's edited to have afros." -Charley Deallus

That's fine, Hema, thanks for letting us know. :) Just add it on the wiki when you can, if you haven't.

Charley - :( Awwww. I can understand you being too busy, though. Maybe you can join in on a later mission if things settle down. We'll miss having you!

For the tryouts: I'm going to let people choose between ship/infantry missions from now on. That's your choice - let me know which your team would rather have before I start the thread. Fawkes, Cuisinart, Cornflakes and Black--Snow can still choose, I think, if you feel like you have the wrong set for your abilities/loadout. Dino and Cha0zz chose a bit too quickly for that. :P

I'm going to announce the next tryout team now. After we get one more person to join (so as to have an even-number of players), I'll announce the last tryout teams - or the next one in a few more days.

The next group is Buck & Lemons - or, Hapchazzard and Triggerhappy. :D You guys can decide whether you want mostly ship or mostly infantry missions now.

Online Now