Return to “REKT”

Re: REKT: Beyond The Edge (Main Thread)

Triggerhappy wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:56 am
Talvieno here seems to think that because we did not bug him about doing REKT updates, it means we were not interested, as explained to me by the Talvieno.
Yes, Trigger did explain this to me. And I did explain that I'm not quite like Josh - bugging me does not make me anxious or too much more stressed, really. It actually does function as positive prodding, provided it's not done with the intent to cause harm.
Dinosawer wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:21 pm
Talvieno wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:15 am
feeling kind of like I couldn't compare to the IRL RPGs a few of you guys were playing
Because why believe me when I say I prefer REKT over the RL DnD I play amirite :ghost:
I, uh... don't actually remember you saying this. :oops: Actually I remember you saying you like both for different reasons, and coming away with the conclusion that IRL is more fun, but has worse combat.
Hapchazzard wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:23 pm
Spoiler:      SHOW
Talvieno wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:15 am
It's honestly killing me to see the dwindling forum activity, though. Two months and only a few LTFC entries? That would've been unthinkable a year ago. :( I'm doing my best, but I think it's getting to be more than I know how to fix. At this point, the best fix idea I had was trying to accelerate LT's development, as mentioned above, and when that failed... well, it's back to square one.
I really don't want to be discouraging, but my honest opinion is that there isn't really much that you specifically can do about it. As I see it LT's PR situation is pretty much unsalvageable to pre-2015 levels, barring the game getting released. At this point most people seem to have moved on and there's quite a lot of skepticism associated with the game. As good as a community manager you are, there are simply things that are completely out of your control - realistically, no one could have prevented the 2015-2016 blackout, which was kind of the event that brought the community to it's current state.

Frankly, LT just doesn't inspire confidence in a lot of people anymore. As talented as the dev is and as good as the game concept, a lot of pretty severe mistakes were made over the last 5 years - there's no denying that(and none of them were even remotely your fault, as far as I remember, and there's no way you could have prevented them). I say this from a relatively neutral, semi-outsider point of view - I'm not a donator, and I was never particularly invested in the game anyway(to me it was just another cool in-development game that I would occasionally check in on and probably pick up on release, but no 'emotional' investment in it).

What I'm trying to say is that I personally think is that the only person who could permanently solve the current community situation is Josh himself. Your dedication to the game is highly admirable, but there's little you or anyone else(except Josh) can do to solve the hurdles that the game is currently facing. To me it seems that you're in a lot of stress. Now, I'm just a random internet stranger and obviously know little about your life situation, but based on some of your comments earlier about IRL issues and such, maybe you should take it easier with LT and focus more on other things in your life(that you actually have a shot at solving, unlike LT). Definitely forget about REKT if you ask me, at least for now. As fun as it is(believe me, I've had a fantastic time with it), it's a massive time-waster for you, and you're obviously tight on time and have way more important problems to tackle.

Genuinely hope I don't come across as patronizing. Again, I'm just an internet stranger and do not claim that I know the full details of your life, just giving my 2 cents on the situation based on the limited info I have.
ramble incoming:
Spoiler:      SHOW
This, I think, is the most helpful post here for me. You could be very right that there's nothing I can do about rebuilding the community. I don't think I could take it back to pre-2015 levels, but I'd like to at least keep it somewhat alive. This community means a lot to me, and when someone disappears from the forum, I tend to notice. Then I go looking for them, see they haven't been on in over a month, and feel sad. It means we lost another one. :( But yes, you're right. It doesn't mean I won't still try, though. It is kind of my job, after all... sort of. I'm not actually entirely sure what my job is - Josh never actually defined it really well, so I just end up doing anything I can to make things better for him and the community.

I won't deny Josh has made a lot of mistakes, no. :P And, no, none were my fault, and I couldn't have prevented them. You're right about that too. This is the part where I'm hung up on, though:
What I'm trying to say is that I personally think is that the only person who could permanently solve the current community situation is Josh himself
Part of me knows this. I mean, I understand that I can't bring the community back, really. I've always known that. That's why I called it "keeping the community on life support" instead of "rebuilding the community" - Josh is the one the community was built around, and he's the one that brought everyone together. The most I can do is keep those same people together - but not forever. Just a little longer. I'd always hoped it would be long enough - "long enough" meaning "long enough for Josh to release the game".

To be honest, I'm not entirely sure why I latched on to Limit Theory like I did. At some point it ceased to be a mild interest and became a full-fledged "cause". I'm rambling now, though.

About the rest: I suppose I am stressed, yes - but I also figure, I've been more stressed out than this. Usually I watch for different physiological signs in myself to tell if I'm overstressed and close to the breaking point, and I haven't quite hit that level yet. My girlfriend has helped tremendously in that - making sure I take breaks and days off on occasion so I don't burn myself out. As to my life situation - it's not much of a secret. I posted it on the forum once and was met with a lot of surprise from people, but it's not like I try to hide it. Things are rough. They've always been kind of rough. I'm slowly working to get out of it though. I mention this because - I don't actually have a shot at solving most things IRL - it's all a waiting game there - a slow, steady plod toward the finish line. I have a lot more chance making a difference with LT.

So that's why I want to continue with REKT. The issue is, sometimes I prioritize other things. REKT is almost a full-time project. I put a lot of work into it. I showed someone (that will not be named) the score sheet I used for scoring the auditions and he was blown away by the complexity, and even admitted he didn't thing I was actually using a rating system at all. :P There's always a lot more going on in the background than I make clear, and a lot of times that's by intent. But because it's so much work, it has a much higher chance of getting pushed to the side because it's so large of a project, if that makes sense.

I suppose the best way I could summarize it would be to have you imagine a stack of blocks. This stack is not permitted to be higher than ten units. Anything past that is in the crazy zone. I can put 10 1-unit blocks in the stack, or two 2-units and six 1-units, but no matter what, it can't get higher than ten units. REKT is, I think, about six to eight units tall in this example. I can do some other things, but most other projects get pushed aside. Naturally, it works inversely as well: if I have another project I see as more important, REKT gets pushed aside until I have the time to come back to it. I could potentially fit in more blocks - maybe stack it even fifteen high - but I've done that before, and it leads to burnout and me disappearing for a month. :| This has happened before a couple times - at least twice while I've been with LT. I can handle it for a short time, but not very long. Right now, I'm doing fine (again, largely thanks to my girlfriend. thank god she's a therapist by trade :lol: ). I'm busy, somewhat stressed, but not near breakdown levels.

I'm rambling again.

Anyway, thank you, Hapchazzard, for that post. Clearly you really got me thinking, because otherwise I wouldn't have made such a lengthy reply. :P But in summary: I have a lot more chance helping with Josh than making any progress by focusing on my life at the moment, and sometimes REKT regrettably gets pushed aside. In this case it was entirely my own doing - Josh never actually asked me to do any of the projects that got REKT sidelined; I did them by myself because I really wanted to find some way to help.

I might be repeating myself, but if I am, it's because I 1. feel very strongly about REKT, and feel guilty for having to sideline it 2. feel very strongly about LT, and want it to succeed. I tend to ramble when I feel strongly about things. :shifty:

At the pokes: Yes, I see the poking. :P If you guys really want it so bad, sure. I'm in limbo anyway until I get more orders from Josh. I have a few projects I could attempt, but after he shut me down because I don't live in Baton Rouge, I became somewhat more aimless in direction.
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Talvieno wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:32 am
I, uh... don't actually remember you saying this. :oops: Actually I remember you saying you like both for different reasons, and coming away with the conclusion that IRL is more fun, but has worse combat.
Ah no, you misunderstood me. What I meant was that, as an RPG and a game, I strongly prefer REKT. Among others because I feel the mechanics are more fun than DnD, combat being one of the examples. (Other reasons being more story and deeper roleplay in REKT)

I still greatly enjoy DnD, but because it's a fun thing to do with fun people. Perfect would be REKT IRL... which was why I was idly wondering about live REKT rules :ghost:
Warning: do not ask about physics unless you really want to know about physics.
The LT IRC / Alternate link || The REKT Wiki || PUDDING

*gets a cattleprod to prod tal*

So you admit overcomplicating everything :ghost:

instead of overcomplicating may tighten down all the rules/stats that we dont have to argue long and wide when something is unclear :ghost:
(Like weapon damage or wounds and stuff. Because things being only rp is a bit annoying when you want to make sensible decisions on what equipment to get)

Dinosawer wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:03 pm
Talvieno wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:32 am
Ah no, you misunderstood me. What I meant was that, as an RPG and a game, I strongly prefer REKT. Among others because I feel the mechanics are more fun than DnD, combat being one of the examples. (Other reasons being more story and deeper roleplay in REKT)
Okay, I didn't get that impression at all. :lol: Sure, though. Okay. I must've just misunderstood. I still suffer from insecurity issues at times. :shifty:
Dinosawer wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:03 pm
I still greatly enjoy DnD, but because it's a fun thing to do with fun people. Perfect would be REKT IRL... which was why I was idly wondering about live REKT rules :ghost:
I don't remember if I answered this, but to begin, I'll mention this quote:
Cornflakes_91 wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:45 am
instead of overcomplicating may tighten down all the rules/stats that we dont have to argue long and wide when something is unclear :ghost:
(Like weapon damage or wounds and stuff. Because things being only rp is a bit annoying when you want to make sensible decisions on what equipment to get)
The issue is, there comes a point where there is too much in the way of rules. I would very much like a "panic" mechanic - a solid one - one where it becomes quite clear where and when your characters are going to freak out. The trouble is, that over-complicates it to the point that I can't keep track very well anymore. A lot of the stuff I do is guesswork, intuition, etc - and yet it's (mostly) internally consistent because I'm the one calling the shots. As a result, your game of REKT could be very different depending on who is the current GM. Naed would probably pulverize you quite easily without breaking or even bending any of the rules, for instance.

I know that's very counter-intuitive, Cornflakes, but the simple fact is, writing out rules for certain things complicates them past the point I'm able to cope - and you know me well enough to know that I can handle quite a bit of complexity. :P That's also the reason we don't have strict bodypart-based hitpoint/damage mechanics. In a computer game, sure - computers can handle virtually unlimited complexity. I'm not a computer though. :P

The only long-term solution is to leave things up to snap intuition, and ask me questions when necessary. It may bother you, but there isn't really a viable alternative. (It bothers me too, honestly, and you should know it would, given that I like to lay things out clearly and plainly, and like complex things - but in this particular instance I simply can't handle it.)
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

There doesnt have to be a hitpoint system, though.
It could be some RP friendly small/medium/large injury/damage system that communicates somewhat clearly how bad the damage is.

Small being something non-impairing unless something specifically affects the damaged region again (loosened cables/plates, light/medium burn wounds etc) "its damaged but when im careful it doesnt matter much"

Medium being damage that impairs functionality but isnt directly threatening (damaged hydraulics pipes, dislocated joints, etc)

And large being directly threatening damage unless counteracted somehow (reactor coolant leak or straight up reactor case rips, heavily bleeding wounds, etc)

With assorted somewhat clear annotations what kinds of damage weapons can do with which kinds of roll (excluding word of god and target intervention rolls)
And annotations what armor does to that rolls/damage.

It doesnt have to be overly complicated or intricate, just somewhat understandable for someone who hasnt played rekt before (with you as gm)

Online Now