Return to “REKT”

Re: REKT: Beyond The Edge (Main Thread)

Everyone is accounted for. :) The post is up! A forewarning - it's anticlimactic, which was pretty much predetermined from the start. There's not much of a way to have a climactic moment when there's never actually going to be a "real" battle. :D

Now that we have it out of the way, we can patch everything up, do our final stuff, and start the next mission. Hope you guys enjoy the post :)
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Meant to finish up the post yesterday and post it, but felt really weirdly sick. Difficult to describe, but it was sort of like dizziness and a difficulty remembering things, along with a number of other symptoms that I'm also not entirely sure how to explain. I tried to get the post done anyway, but found I kept losing my train of thought and writing things multiple times, so I figured it would probably be better to wait and give my brain a break for the day. I'm okay today, though, so I'm going to get the post finished up. Won't be long until we continue :D

IMPORTANT EDIT:
To Marisa Sukava, joining late, I'm granting an extra 2500 credits and 750 stat/skill points.

Following each mission (up to a cap), if there are multiple underleveled characters, I'm going to create a pool of 750 creds per underleveled player character, as well as an equivalent pool of 100 stat/skill points per underleveled player character. This will be distributed to fully-leveled players, weighted towards their character's ingame rank (i.e. having a higher-ranking character will give you more of these points). Each player can then choose one underleveled character for their character to "mentor" with these "mentorship points". The allied player character they choose will receive these creds/points prior to the next mission, helping bring them up to speed.

(Note: These numbers are "guidelines" and not "set in stone" - if I feel like someone needs more/less, it's within rules for me to switch things around. After we develop the system a bit further I may see fit to "solidify" it a bit more, but you guys know the drill with new systems by now.)

edit: A few other questions were raised about this system, so I'm going to answer them here.
- Underleveled characters will still receive the same 1000 stat/skill points and 5000-10000 creds that everybody else receives.
- After an underleveled character receives enough extra stat/skill points from their "mentors" to fully rank them up to the level of the top-leveled characters (not counting off-mission XP), they will no longer be qualified to receive mentorship points.
- You do not have to receive mentorship points. If you feel being mentored by a particular character is something your character wouldn't like, you can simply talk it over with that player and/or refuse the points. Likewise, if you feel like it would be wholly out of character for your character to mentor someone, and can't come up with a clever way to make it work, you don't have to mentor them. The system is purely optional.
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

All right! I'm busy writing up the briefing for Mission 2! This mission will be very highly different from all previous missions. You know the drill - keep an open mind and be aware that things are very unlikely to go through as they have previously, or as you expect.

With all this in mind, if anyone wants to make any ship-based changes prior to the briefing, you should take care of it quickly. After the briefing is up, that's it - no more changes.

Trying something a little different. I've done some scoring using the regular system, but scaled for off-mission stuff. In addition, I've split the points into two pool types - a group pool, where all inmates share XP, and pools unique per character. This means that people that do a poor job on off-missions end up bringing down the whole group, instead of making them better. It also means that those that do really well do a better job of supporting the group. Interested to hear feedback on this. If people don't think it works, we can try something else. I don't have my heart set on this one, and it won't apply to the next mission anyway.
It is hard to give any feedback on the scoring system, since we don't know how it works. :)
I'm fine with 'pooling' XP, though I'm not sure what the logic behind it is - given that we tend to split up and do our own thing inbetween missions.
Only thing I can say, and this is definitely not an unbiased opinion, but the total amounts seem... pretty small? Both compared to what we have gotten before and to what you need to level something.
It's not a complaint or something (I do inter-mission stuff because it's fun to RP, not for XP) but at this rate we won't be able to use the XP until we're past mission 5 or so.
Which is fine if that's how you want it, just pointing it out. :)
Warning: do not ask about physics unless you really want to know about physics.
The LT IRC / Alternate link || The REKT Wiki || PUDDING

It's small, yes, but to be fair, you guys were never in much danger (the majority were never in any danger at all) and few people did more than 3 turns or so of actively trying to get XP/RPing the battle. If you divide 1000 XP (what you get for a normal mission by 30 turns, you get about 33.33 XP per turn, so if you multiply that by 3 that's only about 100. Remember again that you're rarely actually in danger outside of missions, and the value-per-turn would probably be even less. I think it's about right, unless we start having very long non-mission stays - which may end up happening eventually. It just didn't happen this time.

The way the differing quantities work isn't far from how I usually score creds/rank for normal missions.

(I did notice you said it wasn't an unbiased opinion, and to that I'm just going to give a respectful nod. That sort of introspection is difficult for most people)

The logic behind pooling XP:
- Keeps people from spreading out too much level-wise
- Provides an incentive for players to help each other roleplay/stay active
- Older players get to help less experienced players
- Players that simply don't try (if we had any of those) would now have a reason to get outed by their peers. to make room for players that would try
- Which means that they're less likely to just idle until the next mission
- Other logic that I'm not mentioning because of GM reasons

edit:
<caleb> You want to group up, Frank?
<brom> Frank, I need you!
<ishmael> Frank, would you consider going to the docks with me?

It's the chairs all over again!

Talvieno wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 10:05 am
It's small, yes, but to be fair, you guys were never in much danger (the majority were never in any danger at all) and few people did more than 3 turns or so of actively trying to get XP/RPing the battle. If you divide 1000 XP (what you get for a normal mission by 30 turns, you get about 33.33 XP per turn, so if you multiply that by 3 that's only about 100. Remember again that you're rarely actually in danger outside of missions, and the value-per-turn would probably be even less. I think it's about right, unless we start having very long non-mission stays - which may end up happening eventually. It just didn't happen this time.

The way the differing quantities work isn't far from how I usually score creds/rank for normal missions.

(I did notice you said it wasn't an unbiased opinion, and to that I'm just going to give a respectful nod. That sort of introspection is difficult for most people)
Alright, if you put it like that, makes sense. :)
Talvieno wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 10:05 am
The logic behind pooling XP:
- Keeps people from spreading out too much level-wise
- Provides an incentive for players to help each other roleplay/stay active
- Older players get to help less experienced players
- Players that simply don't try (if we had any of those) would now have a reason to get outed by their peers. to make room for players that would try
- Which means that they're less likely to just idle until the next mission
- Other logic that I'm not mentioning because of GM reasons
Makes sense too

Edit: also, added these XP's to the wiki pages
Warning: do not ask about physics unless you really want to know about physics.
The LT IRC / Alternate link || The REKT Wiki || PUDDING

Online Now