Return to “REKT”

Re: REKT: Beyond The Edge (Main Thread)

I would kindly like to point out that the Plasma Pilum idea was for my character Servius to have some form of unconventional weapon that had some range and damage to it, but also fit with my Space Age Roman theme. That being said, there are a few Unconventional Weapons with range, just none that are 1-handed and lethal. Also, what’s all this about Mechs instead of Powered Armor?

0111narwhalz wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:15 am
I have a procedural gas giant texture for Blender Cycles if you're interested.
Spoiler:      SHOW
Not sure how well it translates to your application, but it could be of utility.
Gas giant textures are fairly straightforward actually. Because their textures are composed of horizontal lines, you don't have to worry about horizontal warping in most cases; unless you're adding a lot of detail like swirls, it won't be particularly visible. I'd be interested in looking at it anyway, though - your image looks pretty good.
TheMainMethod wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:37 am
I would kindly like to point out that the Plasma Pilum idea was for my character Servius to have some form of unconventional weapon that had some range and damage to it, but also fit with my Space Age Roman theme. That being said, there are a few Unconventional Weapons with range, just none that are 1-handed and lethal. Also, what’s all this about Mechs instead of Powered Armor?
Yes, I thought it was you. Dinosawer said it was Hapchazzard, but I was thinking it was you - you had Servius, as I recall. (I also recall you dying thanks to becoming engrossed in M&B Warband. :D ) Unconventional does have some ranged things, but unconventional typically focuses on melee + explosive/AoE. However, a throwing weapon like a javelin (or a set of them, multi-use) seems like it would be pretty useful and would match well with unconventional. It would be short-ish ranged, but if you want long range, you probably want conventional to begin with.

As to mechs vs powered armor: We have an exoskeleton currently (which has a 100% casualty rate!), and adding armor to it is... well, just adding armor to it. :P While it could be a thing, I'm concerned about whether I want it to be, when infantry specialization will probably lean towards mechs. (Note: it's still very much a WIP concept and I haven't nailed down the specifics yet, so all of the following is up in the air still. I've considered making special mech-only add-ons, for instance, and not exactly sure how to balance and fit that with everything else. Ideally there wouldn't be more than two or three people that wanted to be mechs, so I'd need to balance for that.)

Mechs will be very much a specialization choice. You lose your body, your head gets stuck on a robot, nerves get plugged into various circuitry so you can control it naturally, and you stay that way. I'm thinking of letting you choose what kind of mech you want to be (agile? ranged? strong? durable?), which will give you some major boosts. You'll also get to carry up to two ship weapons (robotic, conventional, unconventional, exotic) as part of your arsenal. The catch is, you're big and bulky, have no ability to be stealthy, can't repair things, have to use special stuff custom-built for a mech (which is more expensive) and your CASKET is significantly less interesting. It's very much an infantry specialization, but used properly, it could be a powerful asset in combat... with some moderation. If everyone becomes mechs, I imagine many missions would become outright impossible to complete. If you want to be big and tough though, it's a good option.

Hence, my concern about whether or not true power armor really "makes sense" as we'll have something that will already fill the gap. I could potentially add it, but I figure, if you really want to be that specialized, that you would get what would probably be a 10-cred piece of equipment, why not just go full mech instead?
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

So, Hapchazzard, your recommendation of Space Engine worked amazingly well! I had to do some tweaking to get it to function, and I'll probably have to do a wee bit more to make sure the gloss/coloration looks appropriate, but it looks outstanding!
(Planet and moon on the right)

(Closer, zoomed-in view with more ambient lighting)

(Gas giant from Space Engine, after some heavy color-work done)
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Okay guys, it is 4 AM, and I'm completely out of steam. I have one person's post left to do - Gearhead's - but I gave it a really solid shot tonight. I really wanted to get it done. It's been six days now that you've been waiting on a post, and I'm really sorry. I kind of got distracted with trying to figure out how I was going to do the maps (there will be a lot of maps). I should've saved that for post-mission, possibly, but on the plus side, you guys have more stuff to keep you occupied here than you would have post-mission... so maybe it means less post-mission pause? I guess that's a good thing. I'm thoroughly exhausted though. I don't trust myself to finish tonight, because I still need to proof-read for mistakes and typos, and I couldn't even remember Taiya's command for a dice roll. :? I'm gonna put it on hold until tomorrow morning - but it will be done very soon after I wake up.

Random pondering: with all these aliens having their own languages, knowing a language might actually be useful now in REKT. Now the only way to know one is getting lucky on a GK roll, which makes me wonder - what if we could learn them? In DnD, you can spend time+money during down time (between missions) to learn a new language.
Maybe that would be something good in REKT as well?
(If yes, I figure GK should factor into it as well, either into how cheap/fast you learn or how well you mastered it by the end of your learning)
Warning: do not ask about physics unless you really want to know about physics.
The LT IRC / Alternate link || The REKT Wiki || PUDDING

That's an excellent idea, and works a lot better, I think, than GK alone being the only way to learn. How much should it cost, though, per language, on average? That's the big question. How are languages valued vs other things in REKT?

edit: NOTE: If a group of people are in the same area together (a few meters apart) and one of them hears a sound, then it is up to the other players to decide whether they also heard the sound - unless specifically stated otherwise - such as "Your ears pick up something nobody else in the squad hears". When I write, it's a bit tedious and overkill to write "You hear a noise!" for every single person, see.

That's a good question which I don't really know the answer to :ghost: but if I have to make a wild guess...
For one, how good it is to know a language obviously depends on how useful you as GM make it. In this mission, it would have been occasionally handy, but not very much so, since most of the Hiltorel spoke English (even if badly) and Hiltorelese we encountered was mostly flavor. But when learning languages is a thing you can do and costs money, you as GM could make it something more valuable as well (allowing us to overhear enemies we would not understand otherwise, not making them all speak english, or making them like you more if you speak their language, inscriptions you can't read otherwise etc).
For the rest, it's of course only useful when the language is encountered (so in a mission with other aliens Hiltorelese won't be super useful, likely), and you can't "sell" it if you don't need it, unlike equipment. On the other hand, knowledge also can't be destroyed, so that's a plus.

Given all that, I'd guess somewhere between 0.25 and 3 creds (possibly influenced by GK)? But that's just me guessing wildly...
Warning: do not ask about physics unless you really want to know about physics.
The LT IRC / Alternate link || The REKT Wiki || PUDDING

Spoiler:      SHOW
SHINY MAP. (with placeholder space station. Should be fairly easy to spot.)
Dinosawer wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:45 pm
That's a good question which I don't really know the answer to :ghost: but if I have to make a wild guess...
For one, how good it is to know a language obviously depends on how useful you as GM make it. In this mission, it would have been occasionally handy, but not very much so, since most of the Hiltorel spoke English (even if badly) and Hiltorelese we encountered was mostly flavor. But when learning languages is a thing you can do and costs money, you as GM could make it something more valuable as well (allowing us to overhear enemies we would not understand otherwise, not making them all speak english, or making them like you more if you speak their language, inscriptions you can't read otherwise etc).
For the rest, it's of course only useful when the language is encountered (so in a mission with other aliens Hiltorelese won't be super useful, likely), and you can't "sell" it if you don't need it, unlike equipment. On the other hand, knowledge also can't be destroyed, so that's a plus.

Given all that, I'd guess somewhere between 0.25 and 3 creds (possibly influenced by GK)? But that's just me guessing wildly...
Yes, I'm kind of thinking 4 credits as the base price for someone with -2 GK. Each point of GK above that would take off 0.5 creds - this all working thanks to the x1000 cred switch we'll be doing post-mission. Someone with +2 GK would therefore be able to purchase it for 2 creds - fewer lessons.

Edit: Starfield added, everything done! Welcome to Nanyej.

Talvieno wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:12 pm
However, a throwing weapon like a javelin (or a set of them, multi-use) seems like it would be pretty useful and would match well with unconventional. It would be short-ish ranged, but if you want long range, you probably want conventional to begin with.
You need this with some explosive-tipped spears.

Actually, yes, REKT really needs it. A healthier alternative to the crossbow! :ghost:
Survivor of the Josh Parnell Blackout of 2015.

I'm planning on completely redoing the battle stim system before the next mission. It's ridiculously gamey as it is, and pretty boring.

NPC: Hi, welcome to the Nemesis Armory. What can I do for you today?
You: Ah, yes, I'd like, a, uh... Can you give me one of those stims that gives a +2 to General Knowledge?
NPC: ... A plus what to what, now?
You: Yeah, I know, it sounds like game stats, but it isn't, honest!
NPC: I see. +2 to Gen K then?
You: Yeah, I just want a magic drug that makes me magically know things that I'll then proceed to completely forget after it wears off.
NPC: ... Coming right up!

Yeah, so it needs an overhaul. The general idea is to make them more story-focused instead of stat-focused, like they should've been from the beginning. Some stims will have multiple effects, some will have single, they'll all have some minor side effects here or there, and their own withdrawal symptoms and histories. Things like handiwork and general knowledge - purely knowledge-based - make no sense to have as stims, so I'll probably cut those out.

One idea I have for one is "Hax" - it boosts hacking and computer by speeding up the problem-solving areas of your brain, and has nasty withdrawal symptoms such as extreme lethargy, depression, etc. It was first produced in the 23rd century, after which it rapidly became illegal at least in part due to its upsetting the then-prevalent competitive gaming industry. People that used it in competitions would be denounced with cries of "Hax! Hax! He's cheating!"

Another is "Racks" - it induces a feeling of euphoria and gives you a strong resistance to pain, boosting your endurance. While it's available to REKT members as a standard syringe, the street drug version is usually taken in the form of a suppository, granting it the colloquial nickname "Bumracks".

Online Now