Return to “REKT”

Re: REKT: Beyond The Edge (Main Thread)

Dinosawer wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:48 pm
You don't, so no
:ghost:
Well, I do do a lot of bodily harm if nothing else. Like in mission 1, there were at least two people that got severe injuries right before the end and barely made it out, and in mission 2, pretty sure I killed four different people (Dinosawer, Aegagrus, Taepilus, Blake) and wounded a lot of others in the last few turns...

Anyway, you're right, I shouldn't spoil anything.
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Dinosawer wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:07 pm
Mission 1: nope, just me, everyone else was pretty fine
Mission 2: then you did it yes, but one out of two is not "usually" :ghost:
Ah, okay. Well, I liked it enough that I decided to do it in mission 3 too, so it would've happened there. My brain didn't last long enough though.
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Indeed! Using it as placeholder until I can find some way to make my own textures - which is actually a lot more difficult than I expected it would be. If anyone knows of any free software with which I can create a proper 2x1 equirectangular projection map (with specular maps, gloss maps, and normal maps), I would be very appreciative. :D I don't know if I'd get in trouble with Paradox - probably wouldn't, I think - but I'd prefer not to risk it if there's any chance.

Talvieno wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:42 am
Indeed! Using it as placeholder until I can find some way to make my own textures - which is actually a lot more difficult than I expected it would be. If anyone knows of any free software with which I can create a proper 2x1 equirectangular projection map (with specular maps, gloss maps, and normal maps), I would be very appreciative. :D I don't know if I'd get in trouble with Paradox - probably wouldn't, I think - but I'd prefer not to risk it if there's any chance.
SpaceEngine, perhaps? It has both a planet editor and a planet exporter (that AFAIK exports all of the things you mentioned). It won't let you place individual features (such as putting down individual mountains and craters in specific locations), at least in-game, but it lets you customize the general look of the surface to a great extent (color, sea levels, flora, cratering level, volcanism, cloud cover, etc.). Additionally, you could just export from the near-infinite supply of procedural planets in the engine itself, so you at least wouldn't have to waste your time making a texture for every individual generic, lifeless rock.

An excellent suggestion! I'll have to give that a go. :D In the meantime, does the map itself look "decent"? Easy to tell world types and sizes, good lighting, scale? (Not asking about the planet positions - I made a few planets and popped them in there just as a test of the lighting system, along with proper reflections/gloss/specular/bumps. Properly lighting a star system is tricky business. Who knew!)

Talvieno wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:20 am
An excellent suggestion! I'll have to give that a go. :D In the meantime, does the map itself look "decent"? Easy to tell world types and sizes, good lighting, scale? (Not asking about the planet positions - I made a few planets and popped them in there just as a test of the lighting system, along with proper reflections/gloss/specular/bumps. Properly lighting a star system is tricky business. Who knew!)
Looks good to me. You could probably even make the rocky planets even smaller (if you need more space on the map for more planets/moons) and their type would still be discernable, but it would by no means be necessary. Lightning is fine, also.

All right, that's great to hear. :D I plan to have moons and space stations on the map, too - just small representations, I think, for the most part. Moons will need to be significantly smaller.

I'm working on what is sort of a log scale, which is interesting. Works a lot better for star system maps than trying to represent real distances. :D

Space station = 1 unit
Noteworthy asteroid = 2 units
Moon = ~5 units
Small planet = ~8 units
"Normal" planet = ~10 units
Gas giant = ~17 units
"Normal" star = ~26 units

Online Now