Return to “REKT”

Re: REKT: Beyond The Edge (Main Thread)

Talvieno wrote:
Sun May 27, 2018 11:06 am
If at all possible, I'd like to have a map ready for you by the time the Nemesis docks at the nearby Fuhodo Station for repairs, refueling, purchasing materials, selling whatever they can scrounge up to sell, etc. That way when you talk to various people, they can ask for your help, and I can "mark it on the map". This is a lot trickier than it sounds, though, because I'm basically trying to come up with a way to fit twenty eight different star systems onto a single *.jpg image file. This may not be the best way to go about doing things. :lol: If anyone has any better ideas, I'm all ears - I would very much like to hear of something better. (As a last resort I suppose I could put together an interactive map on my site, but that's a lot of work!)
You've probably already though about this, but why not have a single JPG for the "sector map" (in other words, just the star systems themselves with various labels indicating faction ownership, presence of major colonies, etc.), and separate JPGs for the individual systems themselves, stored away on the wiki and only brought up when we're actually in said system?

Also: will the Quantums be making an appearance again?

Cha0zz wrote:
Sun May 27, 2018 11:20 am
Talvieno wrote:
stuff
You're really making a great RPG of REKT tal :P I really appreciate all the work you do for this but try to not overwork yourself ok? :V
Thanks, Cha0zz! I appreciate you saying that. :) And I'll try not to.
Hapchazzard wrote:
Sun May 27, 2018 12:30 pm
Talvieno wrote:
If at all possible, I'd like to have a map ready for you by the time the Nemesis docks at the nearby Fuhodo Station for repairs, refueling, purchasing materials, selling whatever they can scrounge up to sell, etc. That way when you talk to various people, they can ask for your help, and I can "mark it on the map". This is a lot trickier than it sounds, though, because I'm basically trying to come up with a way to fit twenty eight different star systems onto a single *.jpg image file. This may not be the best way to go about doing things. :lol: If anyone has any better ideas, I'm all ears - I would very much like to hear of something better. (As a last resort I suppose I could put together an interactive map on my site, but that's a lot of work!)
You've probably already though about this, but why not have a single JPG for the "sector map" (in other words, just the star systems themselves with various labels indicating faction ownership, presence of major colonies, etc.), and separate JPGs for the individual systems themselves, stored away on the wiki and only brought up when we're actually in said system?
...That's... actually a good idea, and I hadn't thought of it. :wtf: That makes a lot of sense. Although, I would want to have maps ready for at least the places you could visit at the present time. For instance, some areas won't be immediately accessible because the first upgrade/repair to the Nemesis's warp drives only gets you to one star system's distance in a "turn" (which will be about a month or so). So, to start with, there's the Nanyej system, along with three other systems you can immediately travel to, which means I only have to make maps of four systems. That would work! That's considerably better than trying to do 28 systems all at once. :) I still need to have the other systems at least partially planned, but it's nice that I don't actually have to map them out, too.
Hapchazzard wrote:
Sun May 27, 2018 12:30 pm
Also: will the Quantums be making an appearance again?
Spoilers:
Spoiler:      SHOW
Probably some mention of them, yes, but they won't be the focus of this campaign, unlike how they were the focus in the last one. This means that quantum abilities won't be as useful, or as easy to come by. The Northern Exclusion Zone (and this is fully unknown to the player characters or mostly anyone in-universe) is the site of the ancient Quantum empire. It wouldn't be unsurprising to see them show up again in some form, I'd think.
Last edited by Talvieno on Sun May 27, 2018 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

The backstory isn't something I really would've been able to get across in the campaign. There's nobody around that knows it anymore, so it's not something I could've let the player characters actually know. The only way you would've known is if I'd told you, honestly...

:( Sorry, Fawkes. I put it in a spoiler for you.
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Nah, no worries there Fawkes. To make things actually possible to manage, as mentioned previously, you're not going to have easy access to the entire galaxy. :P The center of The Zone isn't going to be part of the playfield. Nobody lives there anyway.

Anddddd I didn't manage to get the update out last night. :eyeroll: I'll get it out today though.

Talvieno wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 8:07 am
Nah, no worries there Fawkes. To make things actually possible to manage, as mentioned previously, you're not going to have easy access to the entire galaxy. :P The center of The Zone isn't going to be part of the playfield. Nobody lives there anyway.

Anddddd I didn't manage to get the update out last night. :eyeroll: I'll get it out today though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8jkz0pdHk8

(ps I don't get the feature to embed a yt video to work?)
LT Wiki | IRC | REKT Wiki
Idiots. Idiots everywhere. ~Dr. Cha0zz

Cha0zz wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 12:26 pm
Talvieno wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 8:07 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8jkz0pdHk8

(ps I don't get the feature to embed a yt video to work?)
You need to strip out everything before (and including) the '?v=' from the link, like

Code: Select all

[youtube]I8jkz0pdHk8[/youtube]
gives
Warning: do not ask about physics unless you really want to know about physics.
The LT IRC / Alternate link || The REKT Wiki || PUDDING

1. The only species that humanity is really at all friendly with are Tachika (who hate humans) and Wralk (who aren't big fans, but don't really care too much).
  • Wralk are ugly, monstrous, hairless, thick-skinned dinosaur-crab-bear-things that, while they have huge hands and incredibly fat "fingers" (if they can even be called fingers), they happen to be particularly durable in combat thanks to their incredibly thick hides, towering stature, and absurdly powerful upper body strength. They are also fairly slow learners to the point that it's difficult to get something by them. The combination of these qualities make them excellent bouncers and soldiers. In fact, Humanity used them to help wage our xenophobic "Galactic Cleansing" against the other species of the galaxy. As such, in many places, they enjoy a slightly higher measure of respect (or at least, slightly lower level of disgust) than the other species.
  • Tachika are cute, fluffy-furry little kitten-monkeys standing (at the very most) about 1.3 meters tall. They are completely the opposite of the Wralk in basically every way, being rather clever and cunning, while also very weak and unable to wield blunt melee weapons in any significant way . They are almost universally regarded as absolutely adorable - and absolutely able and willing to take advantage of this, leading to their reputation of being thieving little rogues. (They're also incredibly agile and quick, too, which means after they steal something, they can easily get away.) They reproduce very quickly when food is abundant (or even just available). In short, they make good pets for richer families, as long as you remember to spay and neuter! (NOTE: While slavery is officially outlawed in the galaxy (it wasn't for a long time), it still exists in some forms. We don't really call it "slavery" anymore, though. "Slave" is such a harsh word, don't you think? The politically correct term is "involuntary employee". ...but people say "slave" all the time anyway, if in friendly company. :D)
Both of those species would be uncommon to see on a midworld, but still common enough that you would probably see them here or there, unless the person(s) in question lived in a particularly small, poor colony.

2. I liked it for a very simple reason: It let me keep track of the things that the players didn't understand yet. It was basically a list of things for me to remember to reveal. If you guys brought it'd back, I'd love it! :thumbup:

Most of the way through writing Alpha's part of the post! This is taking somewhat longer than expected, but I'm going to stay focused and get it done today.

Okay, so, I'm not going to be able to get it finished tonight. :? I spent six hours today (closer to eight if you count IRC stuff) working on the next post. I've run out of steam for today, I think. I can't get much more done. I'm starting to make silly mistakes. I'll get it posted very early tomorrow. I only have two people left to write for - Caleb and Gearhead. Everyone else is done, and the maps are done too. It's only 20-40 minutes of writing. :) No issue at all. I'm really sorry I couldn't get it done today though. I gave it a very solid effort I think.

Talvieno wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 2:46 pm
Tachika are cute, fluffy-furry little kitten-monkeys standing (at the very most) about 1.3 meters tall. They are completely the opposite of the Wralk in basically every way, being rather clever and cunning, while also very weak and unable to wield blunt melee weapons in any significant way . They are almost universally regarded as absolutely adorable - and absolutely able and willing to take advantage of this, leading to their reputation of being thieving little rogues. (They're also incredibly agile and quick, too, which means after they steal something, they can easily get away.)
Bwahahahahahaha!! :lol: I like those guys already :D
Talvieno wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 9:03 pm
Okay, so, I'm not going to be able to get it finished tonight. :? I spent six hours today (closer to eight if you count IRC stuff) working on the next post. I've run out of steam for today, I think. I can't get much more done. I'm starting to make silly mistakes. I'll get it posted very early tomorrow. I only have two people left to write for - Caleb and Gearhead. Everyone else is done, and the maps are done too. It's only 20-40 minutes of writing. :) No issue at all. I'm really sorry I couldn't get it done today though. I gave it a very solid effort I think.
Sounds like a very interesting update to come! I'm excited! :D
Apparently, sometimes stuff might happen.
- - - - - - - -

Talvieno wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 2:46 pm
  • Wralk are ugly, monstrous, hairless, thick-skinned dinosaur-crab-bear-things that, while they have huge hands and incredibly fat "fingers" (if they can even be called fingers), they happen to be particularly durable in combat thanks to their incredibly thick hides, towering stature, and absurdly powerful upper body strength. They are also fairly slow learners to the point that it's difficult to get something by them. The combination of these qualities make them excellent bouncers and soldiers. In fact, Humanity used them to help wage our xenophobic "Galactic Cleansing" against the other species of the galaxy. As such, in many places, they enjoy a slightly higher measure of respect (or at least, slightly lower level of disgust) than the other species.
sounds like a relative of THE BOARBEAR

Online Now