Return to “REKT”

Re: REKT: Beyond The Edge (Main Thread)

Hapchazzard wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:33 am
Hema wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:00 am
Happened to glance down at a two-liter coke bottle I was holding today.
Found the label somewhat amusing, and I figured I would indeed go ahead and share it.
While Coke is nice, my character would definitely prefer something... stronger :)
~mutter der mann mit dem koks is da! ja mein junge das weiß ich ja!~

Tiny teaser image. I've gotten all the systems set up now with various exciting missions and things. You'll only be able to do about 40% of the missions over the course of the campaign, which means you'll have to pick and choose. Some missions will expire and such. Others will not. Some missions you'll find by upgrading the Nemesis scanner equipment, and other missions you'll find by talking to people. Some people may request you do to do missions for them, too. It'll be exciting! Much choice and consequences. I'm going to thread the consequences of the missions through the course of the campaign too.

In the process I sketched out 63 different potential missions and ended up trashing almost half of them to try to keep the overall quality up. :D Next I'll need to make the star maps, but we can wait on that for a bit.

Also, we're probably going to end up with the cliché "Let me mark it on your map" scenario, but I don't see much way around that.
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Talvieno wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:56 am
Also, we're probably going to end up with the cliché "Let me mark it on your map" scenario, but I don't see much way around that.
Not really a cliché; a lot of military stuff is done with 'hey, here's the map, here's the objective; go there, do that'.

Instead, things like 'I need item X, go search for it, should be somewhere around' would never work, as the answer to that would be 'go fu do it yourself'.

If you want to dilute the stereotypical quest-map marker-time limit a-la RPGs to make it look less gamey, then there are indeed ways of doing that...mostly using military-themed flavour text. For example:

A. We know the objective is somewhere on the planet X, but no further intelligence is available; you'll have to do reconnaissance yourself. The mission is highly dangerous; we are asking for volunteers! - > we discuss it, and if we don't volunteer, some NPC squad would, and their casualties would be determined by rolling for each NPC, and success as the sum of surviving members + success roll / number of casualties or however else you want it.

B. 'Squad leaders, Intelligence officer here. We've discovered item B on the planet Y; your mission, should you accept it...' - > if you don't, it doesn't come up; it's assumed that it was either done by an NPC squad, or discarded as being too dangerous after studying the details, depending on the storyline / GM powers :)
Survivor of the Josh Parnell Blackout of 2015.

Slightly off-topic, but I was playing with the character creator today and noticed it now gives an estimated difficulty of playing the character. Curious - how is that calculated?
(Wondering why everyone is very easy to average except Saoirse who is very high difficulty apparently...)

Also, I broke it :ghost:

( decent at bladed and exotic weaponry, yet can apparently not use any weapons :ghost: )
Warning: do not ask about physics unless you really want to know about physics.
The LT IRC / Alternate link || The REKT Wiki || PUDDING

I thought for a second what's the worst, most pathetic and evil character I can create that is very difficult to play without going completely anti-sense with points distribution?

Well, here it is:
Spoiler:      SHOW

Name: Rorbur "vioLaToR" Bhopal
Personal Information: A weak, lanky teenager born to a family of drug addicts on a poor, insignificant industrial planet, he was mercilessly bullied in school due to his mental condition, skin diseases and squeaky, girly voice, as well as abused by his parents when they suffered from drug withdrawals. While his remarkable intellectual abilities, keen intuition, and uncanny science and programming talents would have eventually lead him out of poverty, it was not to be, for at the age of 15, after being raped and mutilated by his parents' drug dealer, he finally lost it, and decided to take revenge on the society that mistreated him so badly.
Personality: Psychotic, pretentious, sadistic to the point of completely losing his humanity, he revels in bringing pain and suffering to others. He considers himself superior to other humans, and values them only as tools, to be used and discarded as necessary.
Reason your character got REKT: Hacked into an automated chemical plant, and, by creatively manipulating production loops, managed to produce many thousands of tons of Methyl Isocyanate and release it over a large city, killing most of its inhabitants, including his family.
Stats:
  Energy: -2
  Durability: -2
  Maneuverability: -2
  Hacking: 2
  Computer: 2
  PSI Unit: 0
  Robotics: -2
  Engines: -2
Skills:
  Charisma: -2
  Intuition: 2
  Handiwork: -2
  Conventional: -2
  Unconventional: -2
  Exotics: 0
  General Knowledge: 2
  Auxiliary: -2
:ghost: :ghost: :ghost:
Survivor of the Josh Parnell Blackout of 2015.

Dinosawer wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:46 am
Slightly off-topic, but I was playing with the character creator today and noticed it now gives an estimated difficulty of playing the character. Curious - how is that calculated?
(Wondering why everyone is very easy to average except Saoirse who is very high difficulty apparently...)

Also, I broke it :ghost:
( decent at bladed and exotic weaponry, yet can apparently not use any weapons :ghost: )
It's complicated. It was flawed somewhat because my understanding of RPGs, players, the importance and difficulty of roleplay and creativity, and other factors were somewhat underdeveloped when I created it. My understanding on those topics (and others) have significantly changed since I put it together. I just rearranged the point distribution somewhat, so it more accurately reflects how I feel about character difficulty now.

The way the difficulty works is approximately thus: Each skill you can have (in your image: acrobatics, unidentified weapons, unarmed combat, etc) has a different inherent "difficulty rating" applied to it. Each green skill you have contributes to the "score" of your character. Characters with few skills will probably be higher difficulty, unless those skills are very easy to use.

Difficulty ratings are based on a number of factors: knowledge of REKT required, writing required, roleplaying skill required, caution required, creativity required, problem-solving and tactical thinking required, etc. A skill like "dodging" is very, very easy to use: it basically just sits there until you need it and the only one doing any sort of writing about it is me. It protects you and keeps you safe. You don't have to be as cautious when using it, and so on. A skill like PDA use is rated as difficult: It only activates if you use it specifically, it requires a solid amount of creativity, roleplaying it is necessary, and it can take a lot of writing. It's not a skill a completely new player ought to pick up and base their character build on.

outlander wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:10 am
I thought for a second what's the worst, most pathetic and evil character I can create that is very difficult to play without going completely anti-sense with points distribution?

Well, here it is:

Name: Rorbur "vioLaToR" Bhopal
Personal Information: A weak, lanky teenager born to a family of drug addicts on a poor, insignificant industrial planet, he was mercilessly bullied in school due to his mental condition, skin diseases and squeaky, girly voice, as well as abused by his parents when they suffered from drug withdrawals. While his remarkable intellectual abilities, keen intuition, and uncanny science and programming talents would have eventually lead him out of poverty, it was not to be, for at the age of 15, after being raped and mutilated by his parents' drug dealer, he finally lost it, and decided to take revenge on the society that mistreated him so badly.
Personality: Psychotic, pretentious, sadistic to the point of completely losing his humanity, he revels in bringing pain and suffering to others. He considers himself superior to other humans, and values them only as tools, to be used and discarded as necessary.
Reason your character got REKT: Hacked into an automated chemical plant, and, by creatively manipulating production loops, managed to produce many thousands of tons of Methyl Isocyanate and release it over a large city, killing most of its inhabitants, including his family.
Stats:
  Energy: -2
  Durability: -2
  Maneuverability: -2
  Hacking: 2
  Computer: 2
  PSI Unit: 0
  Robotics: -2
  Engines: -2
Skills:
  Charisma: -2
  Intuition: 2
  Handiwork: -2
  Conventional: -2
  Unconventional: -2
  Exotics: 0
  General Knowledge: 2
  Auxiliary: -2
:ghost: :ghost: :ghost:
Yeah, that's a very difficult character to play. :D Both in terms of stats and roleplaying ability. I think he would be an exceedingly fun character to play, though, for precisely those same reasons: there's a lot of depth and the impulsive/psychopathic tendencies could let him get away with pulling a lot of shit. Strictly an advanced character build, though.

EDIT: Also, just realized Gaius Magnus wasn't included in the character sheet character list; have rectified this. My sheet now warns that Gaius is not going to be good with ship weapons.
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Talvieno wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:21 am
stuff
Cool :D
Talvieno wrote: cool picture
Coooooool :D
Talvieno wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:21 am
EDIT: Also, just realized Gaius Magnus wasn't included in the character sheet character list; have rectified this. My sheet now warns that Gaius is not going to be good with ship weapons.
That's not entirely true, though: blunderbuss, tesla arc projector, reaper, nukes, electroshell, etc - a decent amount of ship weapons roll unconv + maneuv (or unconv + energy in case of the reaper)
Warning: do not ask about physics unless you really want to know about physics.
The LT IRC / Alternate link || The REKT Wiki || PUDDING

I'm going on vacation tomorrow.
Firs a week to france, then I'll most likely be able to post.
Afterwards I'm going to Australia until the second of august, during this period I'll most likely be unable to post.
So I would suggest that Bob just follows the directions of Saoirse or that Dinosawer takes over Bob if he wants to.
If someone else wants to take over Bob for this period, feel free to do so.
LT Wiki | IRC | REKT Wiki
Idiots. Idiots everywhere. ~Dr. Cha0zz

Online Now