Return to “REKT”

Re: REKT: Beyond The Edge (Main Thread)

Name: Alephan (Alan for short)
Personal Information: Tall, 6 foot 5 avian alien that looks like a Cassowary, but slightly more humanoid, they are covered in feathers that are silvery, has a beak with short, sharp teethlike structures and the crest is made of durable carbon allotropes, two large eyes are on the head which are covered in a smart glass that allows them to convey expression, along with some infrared eyes that give them 360 vision around the head in place of the simple eyes baselines of their species has.
Personality: Slightly aloof, acts a little numb towards anyone he doesn't see as someone to trust and share thoughts with, but resourceful, assertive and calm
Reason your character got REKT: N/A
Stats:
  Energy: 0
  Durability: 0
  Maneuverability: 1
  Hacking: 1 (+3)
  Computer: 1
  PSI Unit: 0
  Robotics: 0
  Engines: -1
Skills:
  Charisma: 1
  Intuition: 0
  Handiwork: 0 (+2)
  Conventional: 1
  Unconventional: -1
  Exotics: -2
  General Knowledge: 1 (+1)
  Auxiliary: 0

Species info
Spoiler:      SHOW
SPECIES: Gibson's Cassoid
DESCRIPTION: A race that's new to the galactic scene. Looks like a Cassowary, but more humanoid, slightly taller than a human, lives in multiple climates, sophont, can see in infrared and has simple eyes around their head and has a generally calm demeanour.

PROS:
- Tall
- Strong
- Has a crest made of keratin
- Can see in infrared
- Has powerful legs
- Slightly twitchy
- Simple eyes around head
- Generally Calm
- Slightly less warlike than humans
- Has very good vocal control

CONS:
- Don't try to glasgow kiss a Cassoid
- Destroys keyboards when headbutting their desk
- Human masks don't fit beak
- Delicate lungs
- Flammable
- Touchy about crest
- Smells of feathers
- Sensitive to pain
- Can be knocked down easier than a human
- Gets urge to kick anyone in their personal space: Stay outta that personal space!
Purchases
Weapons:
Lasgun
Gauss Rifle
"Knife" (Renamed shortsword for flavour)
Augments:
BODY(-6000)
Full cyborg body > -6000 creds

CLOAKING(-1000)
Cloak Field > -500 creds
Personal Cloak > -500 creds

AGILITY(-1000)
Impact Dampeners > -500 creds
Palmar Crampons > -500 creds

MENTAL(-1000)
Psywave Sensor > -500 creds
Synthetic Eardrum > -500 creds

OCULAR(-2650)
Night Vision > -500 creds
Overload Filters > -500 creds
Infrared Vision > -1650 creds
Last edited by Tronzoid on Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:57 am, edited 27 times in total.

Just a quick list of what needs to be added/updated:

1. You need purchases.
As I recall, you already said you wanted full cyborg bodyparts. That's six bodyparts (head, arm x2, leg x2, torso), so 6000 creds. This means you have 6500 left over. You can arrange them like this:
- 6000 (full cyborg)
- assault rifle
- plasma rifle
etc.
You get three free infantry weapons because you have +0 strength. (+2 strength will upgrade you to four free infantry weapons, when/if you get there.) You'll probably want conventional weapons.
Handy links:
Standard infantry items (you get three free conventional weapons)
Augments
Combat drugs

2. Alien Species Info
I need info on your alien species, using the alien species page here. http://rekt.wikidot.com/custom-aliens
You're more or less the test run for player-made alien species, so I'm tweaking the wiki rules to give you a bit of a leg up while we experiment a little:
- You need at least 80 points of cons/negatives.
- You need enough pros to bring your total (pros + cons) to somewhere between -10 and -30.

You can format this like so:

Code: Select all

[spoiler]SPECIES: Flying Space Monkey
DESCRIPTION: A monkey from the depths of space. It flies. It has three tails. It likes to jump around and is more often than not quite insane. They hail from the planet Cruton (etc etc etc)
PROS:
- Monkey
- Cute
- Flies
- Space
CONS:
- Stupid
- Insane
- Dangerous
- Talks at movie theaters
[/spoiler] 
Just to be clear: Your alien can have other features that aren't listed, but these aren't allowed to help/hinder the alien and must be purely cosmetic. (tall feathers, saggy jowls, non-sharp beak, side-blinking eyes, fin on the back, etc) You can list these in your description.

3. Reason your character got REKT
In your case, as you aren't starting as REKT, you don't technically need to fill this out. If you do, though, canon is already that not many REKT members died during the fight at Fuhodo Station's hangar. We take backstories/character development seriously here, so it's something you should tweak.

Also, a point of confusion: You seem to describe your character as a martial arts expert, but you don't actually have any ability to fight in melee. Your Athletics (Strength + Agility) is only +1, and your Acrobatics (Agility + Speed) is only +0.

After these things are fixed, I'll look over your post again and accept your character. :) As soon as that's done, I'll get Alephan put on the wiki and add her to Taiya's database (speaking of which, you ought to join IRC at some point. The link is in my sig). Then I'll give you a link to the discord server where the other two new characters are doing their pre-mission-insertion RP.

You don't need to rush, but it does need to be done in the next couple of weeks: after a certain point in this mission, new player characters won't be able to join, and this character in particular (thanks to various in-universe reasons) won't be able to join anymore - the player characters will be eventually leaving this station and heading out into the unknown, far from civilization. Just a heads up.
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Personal Information: Tall, 6 foot 5 avian alien that looks like a Cassowary, but slightly more humanoid, they are covered in feathers that are silvery, has a beak with short, sharp teethlike structures and the crest is made of durable carbon allotropes, two large eyes are on the head which are covered in a smart glass that allows them to convey expression, along with some infrared eyes that give them 360 vision around the head in place of the simple eyes baselines of their species has.
Personality: Slightly aloof, acts a little numb towards anyone he doesn't see as someone to trust and share thoughts with, but resourceful, assertive and calm
Stats:
  Energy: 2 (+1)
  Maneuverability: 1 (+1)
  Hacking: 1 (+1)
  Robotics: -2
Skills:
  Intuition: 1 (+1)
  Handiwork: -2
  General Knowledge: 2 (+1)
  Auxiliary: -1

Species info
DESCRIPTION: A race that's new to the galactic scene. Looks like a Cassowary, but more humanoid, slightly taller than a human, lives in multiple climates, sophont, can see in infrared and has simple eyes around their head and has a generally calm demeanour... Just don't say negative stuff about their comb or get into their personal space, they get an urge to kick you! They have very good vocal control, making them good singers.

PROS: (90 pts total)
- Tall: +15
- Thermal vision: +20
- Powerful kick: +20
- 360 vision: +15
- Natural Armor: +20

CONS: (105 pts total)
- Delicate lungs: -15
- Weakness to fire: -20
- Strong body odor: -15
- Lightweight: -20
- Pain intolerant: -35
Purchases
Weapons:
Lasgun
Gauss Rifle
Augments:
BODY(-6000)

CLOAKING(-2000)
introductory operation fee > -1500 creds

OCULAR(-2000)
Last edited by Tronzoid on Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:46 am, edited 4 times in total.

I'm uncertain about your pros/cons; it looks like some of the description got mixed up in there. Is this accurate?

Code: Select all

- Thermalvision: +20

Regarding augments: You don't need to pay the additional 150 creds for Infrared Vision because you already purchased an item from the tier below it, so that takes 150 off your total. You don't actually have to get both (or either) of one tier to purchase something from the tier beyond it. If you choose to completely skip a tier, you pay the skip cost (nonrefundable if you choose to purchase something from that tier later). However - and this is very important:

Each augment "type" (agility/mental/ocular/etc) has a 1500 cred introductory operation fee. This is used to install the framework that the actual augments depend on to operate. In the case of some, it's biobatteries, and in the case of others, nanomesh nets, or AM heatsinks, or so forth.

You have four augment types: Cloaking, Agility, Mental, and Ocular. That's an additional 6000 creds. That brings your total up to 17500, which is 5000 creds above your limit.

Regarding stat/skills: Pretty sure I touched on this elsewhere, but just in case I didn't: Under the current system, trying to increase something from -2 to +2 costs twice as much as trying to increase something from 0 to +2, and six times as much as trying to increase something from 0 to +1. That means by trying to raise both hacking and handiwork from -2, you're effectively wasting a lot of your points. The things that start at -2 are better left at -2. (This will change under the system overhaul that comes into play at the beginning of next mission, but that's still a long ways off.)

To everyone:
Sorry about the delay with the post! Again it's related to the big S6 upgrade. I'm working on that martial arts system I always wanted to do but never got around to doing. I've teased it here and there, and it's met with some pretty great feedback so far.
Some proof-of-concept images:
At this point I'm far enough along that I'm 100% sure how it'll work, which means I can finish designing the rest of the more pressing stuff without worrying about stepping on its toes.

EDIT:
Post is 95% done! Tune in tomorrow to see the thrilling conclusion of The Weird Thing That Happened In The Sewers Last Night
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Personality: Slightly aloof, acts a little numb towards anyone they doesn't see as someone to trust and share thoughts with, but resourceful, assertive and calm
Backstory: Alephan grew up on the rim with his parents, who escaped from slavery after a worker revolution broke out on a slum world, at 18, they joined a privateer force that worked with a local government and stayed there until they were 21, they joined a society that sought to augment the galaxy to a higher level of intelligence, where they were outfitted with augmentations.

Unfortunately, they were shut down when some of the members were discovered to be researching non-biological AI technology by local police forces (it was rumored someone in their ranks grassed on them) and people were executed, some who were close friends, they managed to barely escape execution. Reeling from the incident, they decided to cut all ties and run off into the dark, where they could be safer away from the stigma around heavy augmentation and the association with a desire to develop non-biological AI.
Eventually, they decided that somebody needed to pick up the work that was left behind and started to work on upgrading currently existing AIs. Feeling responsible for delivering justice to the rotten apples in the rim and making things easier for heavily augmented people, they joined up with the party, understanding that they couldn't do the work entirely on their own.

Stats:
  Energy: 1
  Hacking: 0
Skills:
  General Knowledge: 1

Species info
DESCRIPTION: A race that's new to the galactic scene. Looks like a Cassowary, but more humanoid, slightly taller than a human, lives in multiple climates, sophont, can see in infrared and has simple eyes around their head and has a generally calm demeanour... Just don't say negative stuff about their comb or get into their personal space, they get an urge to kick you! They have very good vocal control, making them good singers.

Purchases
Weapons:
Lasgun
Gauss Rifle
Augments:
BODY(-6000)

CLOAKING(-2000)

OCULAR(-2000)
Last edited by Tronzoid on Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:12 am, edited 3 times in total.

Looks good, Tronzoid. All that's missing now is some form of backstory. Where is your character from? How did he grow up? What were some of the defining events in his life that made him who he is today? These sorts of questions are important for cementing your character's place in the galaxy and making him feel more like a living, breathing individual instead of a flat, uninteresting goon.

You can put the background info in your Personal Information section, a paragraph ahead of the appearance information. Don't be afraid to be lengthy. :) After you finish that up, I'll look it over and likely accept your character. And of course, if you have any questions, ask away (and this is the place to do it).

Edit: Tronzoid, it looks like you've leveled your character to level 3 again. You're coming in at level 2, not 3. That'll also need to be fixed before I can accept your character. This part should say "Levels required: 1" -

Will be making the next post soon. The new REKT characters will be joining very, very shortly!

Additionally, I've been working on mechanics-izing the narrative rules for CASKETs as my most recent work towards the Big Overhaul.
Remember that CASKETs are lightly armored.
A system is counted as Busted when its HP reaches 0. When a system reaches (max HP * -1), it's counted as Obliterated. Obliterated systems count as 2 destruction points (DP), while Busted systems are counted as 1 DP. When a CASKET has a total of 10 DP, your CASKET is no longer recognized as a CASKET, and is instead counted as a salvageable wreck that you may be able to take pieces off of.
For reference, a CASKET is usually no longer functional in combat when it reaches 6 DP - either by being immobile, having no functional weapons, generator busted, engines busted, RCS busted, or pilot dead.

The HP numbers do look a bit low in some places, as Dino pointed out, and it is theoretically capable of disabling a CASKET with only two pistol shots (shooting out the generator). Dino was concerned that it seems to clash a bit with the narrative of infantry weapons being mostly useless against ships. However, there are a couple things I'd like to point out.
  • Aiming directly at a particular system incurs a significant aim penalty, and only external systems may actually be targeted.
  • According to the simulations I've run, a CASKET should be able to tank an average of 101 pistol shots before it is no longer functional in combat, during which time it can kill multiple REKT inmates.

Finally, hit chance is likely to vary a lot depending on which direction your CASKET is facing. Unlike in infantry combat, you have to turn your CASKET so it faces in the general direction of an opponent (it doesn't have to be exact). This means that direction matters, and, with direction mattering, it also matters which side you get hit on. Not entirely sure how I'm going to deal with that just yet, because space being 3-dimensional and most maps only being 2-dimensional makes things a little interesting.

Talvieno wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 3:01 pm
Finally, hit chance is likely to vary a lot depending on which direction your CASKET is facing. Unlike in infantry combat, you have to turn your CASKET so it faces in the general direction of an opponent (it doesn't have to be exact). This means that direction matters, and, with direction mattering, it also matters which side you get hit on. Not entirely sure how I'm going to deal with that just yet, because space being 3-dimensional and most maps only being 2-dimensional makes things a little interesting.
Perhaps abstract altitude to directly above, high, even, low, and directly below. Maybe allow the CASKET to pitch up or down to present a particular aspect. Perhaps forward, fore-port, fore-starboard, aft-port, aft-starboard, and aft along the equator, but only fore, port, starboard, aft at the… middle latitudes… and just one zone for the poles? Though… this starts to get complicated very quickly, since you do have to make a whole table for each one. That's sixteen aspects… which is kind of a lot of tables. You can likely get away with making them symmetric and just saying "close arm" or something, but even then you have to deal with twelve distinct aspects.

Personality: Slightly aloof, acts a little numb towards anyone they doesn't see as someone to trust and share thoughts with, but resourceful, assertive and calm
Backstory:
Alephan grew up on the rim with his parents, who escaped from slavery after a worker revolution broke out on a slum world (the moon of Aarak). At 18, they joined a privateer force on Seradel that worked with a local government and stayed there until they were 21, they joined a society that sought to augment the galaxy to a higher level of intelligence, where they were outfitted with augmentations.

Unfortunately, they were shut down when some of the members were discovered to be researching non-biological AI technology by local police forces (it was rumored someone in their ranks grassed on them) and people were executed, some who were close friends, they managed to barely escape execution. Reeling from the incident, they decided to cut all ties and run off into the dark, where they could be safer away from the stigma around heavy augmentation and the association with a desire to develop non-biological AI.
Eventually, they decided that somebody needed to pick up the work that was left behind and started to work on upgrading currently existing AIs... gradually, and over many years.
Feeling responsible for delivering justice to the rotten apples in the rim and making things easier for heavily augmented people, they joined up with the party, understanding that they couldn't do the work entirely on their own.

Stats:
  Energy: 1
  Hacking: 0
  PSI Unit: 1 (+1)
Skills:
  Unconventional: 0 (+1)
  General Knowledge: 1

Species info

Purchases
Weapons:
Lasgun
Gauss Rifle
Augments:
BODY(-6000)

CLOAKING(-2000)

OCULAR(-2000)

Looks like you've been reading the lore pages on the wiki. :) Well done.

Give me a bit and I'll get you into the discord I have for the RP with the other newly-starting characters. That may be 1-2 hours, depending, but it should be today. In the meantime, you can join the "REKT IRC" (formerly the LT IRC, but we all know it's mostly REKT at this point). The link is in my sig. The other players will probably be interested in talking to you.

The post for the next turn should be up by the end of today! Stay tuned to see whether the inmates die a horrible, fiery death when they get ambushed by a half dozen Daxx mercenaries!

Today I did a REKT tabletop combat demonstration with Dinosawer and Hekx (his fiancée). I was nervous as hell and did a terrible job of explaining mechanics, but it showed that REKT combat can work pretty well.

Next week we'll try an actual REKT playtest to see how I can handle the story side of things, and a more extensive and thorough test of combat mechanics.

Online Now