Return to “REKT”

Re: REKT: Beyond The Edge (Main Thread)

You already addressed most of what I said on the issue, but wanna note here:
Talvieno wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:15 pm
Talking is a free action, and enemies cannot hear you when you discuss plans (at least when your GM is at all decent or needs it to tell a story).
Well, then don't let enemies hack our comms :ghost: that's the only logical way we can discuss stuff unheard, and it was made clear he heard everything we said on them

Edit: and of course, thanks for the very interesting post - I now better understand what went wrong (on both sides) and will learn from this for the future :)
Warning: do not ask about physics unless you really want to know about physics.
The LT IRC / Alternate link || The REKT Wiki || PUDDING

Dinosawer wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:14 pm
You already addressed most of what I said on the issue, but wanna note here:
Talvieno wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:15 pm
Talking is a free action, and enemies cannot hear you when you discuss plans (at least when your GM is at all decent or needs it to tell a story).
Well, then don't let enemies hack our comms :ghost: that's the only logical way we can discuss stuff unheard, and it was made clear he heard everything we said on them

Edit: and of course, thanks for the very interesting post - I now better understand what went wrong (on both sides) and will learn from this for the future :)
Resized for emphasis. Letting M-Fig listen in on your comms did nothing whatsoever to hurt you, and couldn't have. It was necessary to convey the character and plot as I intended. :) You could've even discussed attacking him if you'd wanted to and it would have made no difference, nor given him any extra advantage.

And thanks, I'm glad you liked it! I was really hoping someone could find something useful in it. :D
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Aye, and I understand that. Assumptions on both sides, that's all. :) You thought one thing was obvious, I thought another thing was obvious, and when you tried to communicate that to me, I thought it would work better for you to reason it out on your own. Not pointing fingers, just explaining.
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

I know I'm not from Beta, so I'm not exactly the most relevant in this entire situation, but a word of encouragement from me, at least - I've been having a blast so far (both because of my teammates, which are very interesting to play with, and because of Tal's GM-ing, which I've found pretty good so far). I personally think that most of Alpha would agree with this sentiment (of course, I can't speak for others, but this statement is merely based on what I've seen so far, at least), so you shouldn't feel discouraged. Of course, there are hiccups and misunderstandings when it comes to a lot of RPs, but I have a feeling that in spite of that, most people (from both teams) are eager to continue with the RP anyway :) .

Dinosawer wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:21 pm
I know it was for the story, but following it, it made no sense for us to assume we could talk amongst ourselves without him hearing us. (which is, for me, one of the reasons I didn't)
Same here, and since he was standing in the same room...it felt kind of...awkward, I suppose? It's not polite to speak about somebody who is present as if he's not even here :D

Let's see what future holds! Onwards, to the more glorious role-playing! :squirrel:
Survivor of the Josh Parnell Blackout of 2015.

I'm going to point out that all of you have done it before, back in Mission 2 when you were fighting Mimir aboard the science vessel. You shouted to each other (yes, some of you used the word "yell" or "shout") while you were fighting - and I didn't let them hear what you said even though it made perfect sense for them to. There would probably have been numerous other instances, too, if I hadn't made you fight aliens or robots in the other missions. In the auditions there were a few different instances of it as well. I've never let talking cause any enemies to act differently before, and I've said they would never hack your comms, too (at least, in a sense in which they would use it against you). It would just make things unfun. It would essentially be metagaming, but on my side.

With this in mind, I don't think "I didn't want him to hear us" quite qualifies as a sensible line of reasoning in this particular instance. Or, rather, it's one that perhaps may have made sense at the time, but shows you didn't analyze it as clearly as you might have.

More importantly, perhaps: what difference would it make? M-Fig did display some fair amount of intuition/futuretelling/guessing/whatever you want to call it/etc regarding your actions, so I don't see how "not talking" would have made much of a difference. :P

What I may not have gotten across in my post:
The responses since my post (here and in IRC) have seemed to indicate you guys believe I was saying it was fully my fault. I didn't mean that. Either side could have fixed it, making it both sides' fault in equal measure - meaning that both sides must learn from it, or it may happen again in the future.

Well, shouting stuff during the battle (giving warnings, relaying information, etc) is quite a bit different from standing around the mysterious (potentially omnipotent) being and discussing who he is, and whether poking him in the butt causes him to deflate or explode in a supernova :D I suppose it was more of a knee-jerk reaction, rather than something based on reasoning. We do that a lot - behaving in a certain ways, while the circumstances allow a wholly different set of behaviours.

I think writing the M-Fig in a less mysterious and threatening way would have triggered more curiosity and more questions / poking around. Looking back at it, I do see what you meant to say with his actions and his answers, but it wasn't immediately clear back then.

Also, with a character that's basically all-knowing, talking to him looked useless. What's even the point in RP when the NPC can basically read your mind? Although, it was clearly indicated that he wasn't in fact all-knowing nor mind-reading, and was quite surprised by us being there, it was somehow lost on me at the time. Oh well, just another case of reading too much into the attitudes and too little into the actual meaning. Naed might have something here with his constant 'read the words' mantra (although I still believe that emotionally colouring the text in the right way is still superior to simply stating the facts).

In the end, he was sending conflicting messages, and we've reacted with conflicting responses. It happens even when you don't have the factor of having other people running amok inside your work...writers have editors and proof-readers for a reason, you know :ghost:

I do hope both sides of the problem learn from it, and I'll make sure to ask instead of assume the next time I feel we've been dragged into what might look to me like some sort of a cutscene / run away from the big bad NOW! scene :squirrel:

Although, to be fair, so far everything has been quite clear, with only minor issues. I can't complain, really.
Survivor of the Josh Parnell Blackout of 2015.

outlander wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:00 pm
Also, with a character that's basically all-knowing, talking to him looked useless. What's even the point in RP when the NPC can basically read your mind?
This in particular is something I'd like to mention. I agree with your post - I'm not saying it's all the fault of you guys. However, in this particular instance - I had no idea you guys thought talking to him seemed useless. :P Actually, going purely by the actions of Saoirse (who did the "most" roleplay involving M-Fig), I thought you guys were simply refusing to respond because he wasn't answering your questions in the way you wanted him to - which is, from what I saw, precisely why Saoirse/Dino did that in the first place. That was why Saoirse pulled out her bagpipes: because he wasn't answering questions. Everyone else stopped trying to talk/interact with him at the same time, so it was all I had to go on.

Simple fix: Just have one of your characters mention to another character, "Why bother talking to him? He seems to be basically all-knowing." (This is that inter-character interaction I was talking about!)

At that point I can have him do something that shows he's not actually all-knowing, and hopefully something that gives you ideas of what you could do/say.

outlander wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:00 pm
I do hope both sides of the problem learn from it
I would certainly hope I'd learned from it already, after all that analyzing and work I did. :lol:

Online Now