Return to “REKT”

Re: REKT: The Preliminary Charactering

Looks good to me! Can't think of anything critical to suggest. :thumbup: In terms of non-critical, you could potentially put an extra point in unconventional, I suppose, which would greatly broaden your possibilities during your first mission. (To give an idea of "how greatly", moving a point from intuition to unconventional on my character sheet creator gives you 71 potential pieces of gear to choose from, instead of 50. ) On the other hand, your points in maneuverability and intuition would let you do a decent job at dodging most attacks, and the intuition is helpful for staying alive. It really just depends on how you want to build your character.

Your backstory is great, creative, and I love it. :D Everything fits well with the REKT universe, so no suggestions there either. You can post in the main thread when you're ready, after you get the gear choices worked out - provided nobody else has any suggestions for you, of course, and you don't want to toy around with it a bit more.
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Yeah, looks like a solid char sheet. Personally, completely for RP reasons, I would have put 1 in unconventional instead of conventional, solely because an axe is an unconventional weapon ;)
But you can keep it as is as well, or move your intuition over like Tal mentioned. Your call. :)
For purchases, you have a lot of options, but the good loadout strongly depends on how you see your character working in combat: close up, sniper, support, mid-range, etc etc
Warning: do not ask about physics unless you really want to know about physics.
The LT IRC / Alternate link || The REKT Wiki || PUDDING

Spoiler:      SHOW
Stats:
  Energy: 0
  Durability: 0
  Maneuverability: 2 (+1)
  Hacking: -2
  Computer: 0
  PSI Unit: 0
  Robotics: -1
  Engines: 1
Skills:
  Charisma: -2
  Intuition: 1
  Handiwork: 0
  Conventional: -1
  Unconventional: 2 (+1)
  Exotics: 0
  General Knowledge: 0
  Auxiliary: 0
Last edited by Black--Snow on Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<Detritus> I went up to my mom and said "hey... do you feel like giving five dollars to black lives matter?" and she laughed and said no :v <Black--Snow> my life does matter though ~~ added by Hema on Jun 11 2020 (2770)

An updated sheet. Added her name and backstory/personality.
Name: Liliya 'Lilith' Kateri
Personal Information: Liliya is a traditionally attractive young woman with blue-green eyes and purplish-blue, wavy hair. She's thin but toned, flexible, and agile. She often wears hues of blue or purple eye shadow, though sometimes prefers smokey, dark eye shadow. Her soft features and natural beauty contrast strongly with her outwardly harsh, cold personality.

Liliya is seldom found without a dark hooded cloak, and fashionable but practical clothing, almost always dark in colour, unless special occasion calls for something more extravagent.

Liliya was forced to fend for herself from a young age; relying on occasional goodwill and her own wits she managed to build, steal, or trade for essentials, and equipment. The simple weapons of early humanity became her expertise - swords and bows, silently killing animal and human prey alike. Her childhood left her stronger, and more dextrous than any with a privileged upbringing, and she levereged her abilities to secure a reputation as a deadly, no nonsense, professional problem fixer for those with the money to buy her loyalty. She secured passage from one workplace to the next, mopping up messes or creating them, going wherever the money took her.

Friends were few and far between, but those bonds she made were strong and long lasting. They knew they could rely on her, as she could them to the end of time.
Personality: Liliya is outwardly cold, calculating, and harsh. She doesn't mince words, and doesn't make any attempt to be particularly likable, though nor does she intentionally insult. To those that manage to worm their way past her cold exterior, she's fiercely loyal, and incredibly selfless - though few have managed to earn her loyalty.

She has a learned sense for the world due to her childhood, and a 'sixth sense' for when something just doesn't feel right.
Reason your character got REKT: N/A
Stats:
  Maneuverability: 2 (+1)
  Hacking: -2
  Computer: 0
  Robotics: -1
  Engines: 1
Skills:
  Charisma: -1
  Intuition: 1
  Handiwork: 0
  Conventional: -2
  Unconventional: 2 (+1)
  Exotics: 0
  General Knowledge: 0

Purchases:
Augments: (12500c)
  AGILITY T2 (3500c Total)
    Impact Dampeners (T1 - 500c)
    Parkour Integrators (T2 - 1500c)
  MENTAL T2 (3500c Total)
    Synthetic Eardrum (T1 - 500c)
    Amygdala Regulator (T2 - 1500c)
  OCULAR T1 (2000c Total)
    Night Vision (T1 - 500c)
  STEALTH T2 (3500c Total)
    Personal Cloak (T1 - 500c)
    Motion Synchronizers (T2 - 1500c)
Weapons:
- Custom Recurve Bow - A blue-steel coloured recurve bow constructed with resilient, high strength materials. Contains a complex set of sensors keyed to bio implants that control sets of electromagnets within the bow to amplify the effective draw weight of the bow significantly, while not increasing the physical input from the user.
- Custom Plasma Sword - A sleek, angular, charcoal coloured blade with a series of built in electromagnets that can trap, and agitate the air around the blade creating a thin film of light-purple plasma able to 'slice' through most materials with relative ease.
- Grenade Pack - 2x Smoke (Black), 1x Flash Bomb
Other (2500 c)
- Light Armour (2000c)
- Magnetic Bow Holster (Effectively quickdraw slot - 500c) - A set of computer controlled electromagnets along the spine activate and coordinate with the Recurve Bow to seamlessly move it to and from the holster on mental order from the user.

REMAINING: 0c
Last edited by Black--Snow on Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:10 pm, edited 9 times in total.
<Detritus> I went up to my mom and said "hey... do you feel like giving five dollars to black lives matter?" and she laughed and said no :v <Black--Snow> my life does matter though ~~ added by Hema on Jun 11 2020 (2770)

Name: Alephan (Alan for short)
Personal Information: Tall, 6 foot 5 avian alien tha looks like a Cassowary, but slightly more humanoid, he is covered in feathers that are silvery, has a beak with short, sharp teethlike structures and the crest is made of durable carbon allotropes, two large eyes are on the head which are covered in a smart glass that allows them to convey expression, along with some infrared eyes that give them 360 vision around the head in place of the simple eyes baselines of his species has.
Personality: Slightly aloof, acts a little numb towards anyone he doesn't see as someone to trust and share thoughts with, but resourceful, assertive and calm
Reason your character got REKT: Fought a war on behalf of rights for AI constructs to become more silicon than brain. Brutally slaughtered many REKT troops at Fuhudo Station because they expected to die and nothing mattered anymore to them, they were eventually taken down by a martial arts expert after taking advantage of how uncalibrated their targeting computers were for melee.
Stats:
  Maneuverability: 1
  Hacking: 1 (+3)
  Computer: 1
  Robotics: 0
  Engines: -1
Skills:
  Charisma: 1
  Intuition: 0
  Handiwork: 0 (+2)
  Conventional: 1
  Unconventional: -1
  Exotics: -2
  General Knowledge: 1 (+1)

Purchases:
Last edited by Tronzoid on Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:45 pm, edited 11 times in total.

Okay, as we've discussed via Discord, using the rules here:

SPECIES: <species name>
Pros: 80 total
  • TALL: +15: The creature stands closer to three meters than two. It can reach things most people wouldn't be able to, jump higher, catch higher, etc. also has an extra 1d6 chance to dodge melee attacks from an enemy they recently attacked.
  • sharp beak: SHARP TEETH: +20: Teeth are exceptionally sharp, and can be used similarly to kick/punch, breaking skin for bleeding damage. An epic roll can rip out chunks of flesh, forcing disadvantage on the foe's endurance roll.
  • armored crest: NATURAL ARMOR: +20: Their skin may be thick, or it may have natural armor plating. Whatever the case, their skin is the equivalent of light armor.
  • vision: EXTRAVISION: +25: The creature can see well in the darkness. Requires eyes to be unharmed and functional.

Cons: -70 (so far) (need to get to -110 if you want to keep all the pros)
  • Lightweight -20 All blunt melee blows from heavier enemies (weapon or not) knock them off their feet and stun them for three layers
  • Weakness to fire -20 Any amount of damage that would normally badly harm a human will outright kill the creature. Amounts that would normally lightly wound a human will cause great harm.
  • Strong body odor -15 You take a -1 penalty to charisma rolls with people not of your species if in the same room with them and they can smell you. (Has a very easily-smellable bird odor)
  • Delicate lungs -15 Thick dust or smoke particles cause them to be stunned for three layers. Continued exposure may cause them to need an endurance roll.

You suggested removing "sharp teeth" (or, er, beak) in Discord, which would make you need only 20 more negative points to balance your custom species out. This works better, because you're limited to 5 cons for a species, and you already have four. I'm just going to cross that line out to reflect that.

edit: You should be able to edit your post now. Removed the "newly registered" tag from your profile.

Aloof, acts assertive and concrete towards anyone he doesn't completely see as someone to trust and share thoughts with
Be aware that characters that do not like talking to their allies are a no-go in REKT: they are not something I allow. It's okay to have a character that doesn't like their allies, but it isn't okay to have a character that doesn't like talking to their allies. It's okay to have a character that doesn't like sharing their past, but not okay to have a character that doesn't like sharing their thoughts on a particular situation.

Basically: there is a difference between not taking part as a character and not taking part as a player. The first one is dangerous and gets you killed by enemies. The second one gets you killed by the GM, and is thus infinitely more dangerous.

tl;dr: you need to read it, but: player characters that are unwilling to talk to other player characters are not allowed. If that's your intent, you'll need to change it before I can accept your character.

brutally slaughtered many REKT troops after they dropped the nuke because they expected to die and nothing mattered anymore to them before being taken down by a martial arms expert after taking advanced of how uncalibrated their targeting computers were for melee combat
That's not quite how the nuking situation on Nanyej (planet) took place. The Hiltorel (alien squids) colony of Huhoba Qitsit got raided by REKT crewmen for Stellaplex (anti-grav anomalous material) (anomalous materials are materials that originate from outside our universe and obey different laws of physics). REKT crewmen just wanted a way off the godforsaken planet after getting shot down. One of the REKT members - Buck Rogers - left a nuke at the colony, timed to destroy the base (he hates aliens, especially Hiltorel (four-armed squid creatures that previously enslaved humanity) and wanted to kill them). Saoirse Fri'leth (all-loving charisma damp (slang term for somebody that nobody likes because they have 0 social skills)) managed to disarm the nuke - but only barely in time. She almost didn't escape with her life and is lucky to be alive - and indeed, the whole of Huhoba Qitsit is lucky to be alive - but Saoirse never told anyone about her deed because she feared retaliation from Buck Rogers.

If you want to have slaughtered REKT troops, there was an opportunity for Alephan to kill a couple of them just prior to the mission starting: the REKT veterans got into a shootout at Fuhodo Station's main small-ship hangar, and barely escaped with their lives - in fact, many of them got separated and spread across the station. We could say Alephan was part of the attacking force.

I do have ways to help Alephan want to become friends with the REKT crewmen, but that's spoilers for the rest of the players and I'll have to tell you via PM.

To help HADES become more silicon than brain
Alephan probably does not know about HADES; however, he does know about SCAMPS. SCAMPS's acronym stands for "Shipboard Computer Assigned to Monitoring Personnel Services". He's an asshole. You can always tell when he talks because he uses bright green text; he's the only one in the game that does so. He can usually be found ordering people about and giving the REKT inmates scathingly harsh reviews of their performances post-mission, before sending them out again with a new mission briefing that drips with sarcasm and loathing of idiocy.

witnessed people die during the nuking
This, as mentioned, didn't happen - but, actually, there is something similar that happened.

Hiltorel (squids) cannot stand (and can barely move) in gravity over 0.5g. During the fight at the Stellaplex plant (which altered the planet Nanyej's gravity in a city-sized radius, just enough to make it livable), Buck Rogers (yes, the infamous Buck Rogers) turned gravity off entirely, shortly before the REKT crew disabled the plant and stole the Stellaplex. I'm sure the colony had a backup, but for a brief period, all hiltorel would've been crushed to the ground, and, if some of them happened to go floating off into the sky during the period of zero-G (as some of them undoubtedly did), there are certainly hundreds of wounded and dead citizens. We could say that Alephan happened to be there when it happened and saw a lot of squids turn into squishy goo spatters.
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Decided to make a separate post now that I've looked at the stats and skills.

You're leveled up to level 3 on the sheet instead of 2. I'm guessing you were looking at this:
That means you've leveled to level 3, not 2. (It's two additional levels.)

I don't usually remark too much on stats and skills - Dino usually does that, because (I think?) he enjoys working out good builds. However, I'd like to point out - I know you want to have a knife (we'll take a short sword and call it a knife for flavor) - you'll need agility to use that knife. Right now your agility is at -2, and that's not good. It'll cancel out your +2 conventional (edit: whoops! unconventoinal! it was late) when you try to use it, giving you a +0 total - which is functionally equivalent to only a 33% chance of success (and that vs enemies with 0 skill in dodging.

Talvieno wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:23 pm
I don't usually remark too much on stats and skills - Dino usually does that, because (I think?) he enjoys working out good builds. However, I'd like to point out - I know you want to have a knife (we'll take a short sword and call it a knife for flavor) - you'll need agility to use that knife. Right now your agility is at -2, and that's not good. It'll cancel out your +2 conventional when you try to use it, giving you a +0 total - which is functionally equivalent to only a 33% chance of success (and that vs enemies with 0 skill in dodging.
*unconventional, and yes I do :ghost:

Better said, as written you actually can use hardly any infantry weapons at all. REKT is a very roleplay focused game, but it's still generally important to be able to use at least one category of weapons to not have your character die the first combat.
To sum it up, there's three categories of weapons:
Conventional weapons, being normal guns: ballistic, plasma and laser. These use either conventional + energy (for ballistic weapons) or conventional (for laser and plasma)
Unconventional, being explosives and melee weapons. These use unconventional (explosives), unconventional + maneuverability (for bladed weapons and the crossbow) or in rare cases unconventional + strength (for blunt weapons).
Exotic, being psionic weapons and other weird and PSI guided weapons, uses exotic + PSI or in some cases exotic + another stat (mostly intuition or maneuverability)

So, with your current stats, there is only one small category of infantry weapons you can actually use (i.e. have a positive modifier for) and that's blunt unconventional weapons, and even that you're only middling in. (which is not great for a character who supposedly slaughtered many combat-trained people)
As Tal noted, for a knife you need unconventional and maneuverability. To use the guns you're supposedly interested in you'd need conventional and energy.
(it's also generally not a great idea to have -2 maneuverability because that stat is used to dodge a lot of weapon fire)

And yeah, nobody at the colony would have known about the nuke until a decent time after we left, at which point it was already disabled.
Warning: do not ask about physics unless you really want to know about physics.
The LT IRC / Alternate link || The REKT Wiki || PUDDING

Online Now