Return to “REKT”

REKT: The Briefing Room

THE BRIEFING ROOM
[/b][/u]

MISSION ONE: NONE

MISSION TWO: THIS POST

MISSION THREE

MISSION 2 BRIEFING

The Briefing Room is situated quite neatly halfway between the hangars and the armory, exactly where you might expect it to be.

What you don't expect is how lavish it is. Tartarus Inc. really pulled out all the stops for this. With the exception of the VR chambers, it's quite possibly the most expensive place you've seen, with lush foliage in the corners, expensive hardwood floors, high-quality seating, and a black metallic table with gold trim that sports a row of full-featured psychokinetic holocomputers. Most importantly, perhaps, is that the room smells of absolutely delicious food - it's practically its own private buffet, with tables around the edges of the room filled with the highest quality foods you've ever, ever seen - and there's even a bar full of alcoholic beverages off to one side, and a bartender to boot. Tartarus Inc. clearly wanted to use this room to raise morale, and they did an outstanding job of it. For as long as you're here, you'll be treated like kings.

But nothing lasts forever. The rest of Platoon 56 is already seated at the long, rectangular table in the center of the room - and a few of them wave you over. You walk over to them and sit down, just as the lights dim, and a screen at the far side of the room lights up.

SCAMPS here. See the new faces? Yeah, they're not all new recruits. It's a long story, but most of the original Platoon 56 was out of commission for a month after we had them retrieve an artifact from inside a nuclear engine in a war zone. Took a while to get their near-fatal radiation doses back down to acceptable levels, and will still kill them within five years, but meh. Look around, say hi, but skip the small talk. You can yammer away about squads as much as you want once I'm done, but if you do it any sooner I'll have my engineers invent some creative ways to expel you out an airlock in pieces.

So, here's the job. I can tell you're all giddy with anticipation.

Welcome to the Sedirmar dust cloud, your zone of operations for this mission. Those of you that went to Chilendorn will remember my mentioning Mimir. Those of you that went to Taghdara will remember fighting them. For the rest of you, I'll explain. Mimir is an IPC - an Interstellar Prison Corporation - just like Tartarus Inc. The ship you see up on the big, pretty screen? If you haven't figured out it's one of theirs by now, I'm not even going to offer you the dignity of having my doctors use you for spare parts, because your brains aren't worth shit.

When the Dark Space attacked at Chilendorn and wiped the mission zone, it sent out some kind of scout or attack craft to comb the nearby area. We have good reason to believe that Mimir actually managed to capture one of them and disable it, and it's now sitting in the cargo bay of this research ship. That's the little shielded area at the back, between the thrusters. One of our moles managed to sabotage its warp coils severely enough for them to drop out of warp and seek refuge in the dusty space of the Sedirmar dust cloud while they do some repairs.

I hear some of you breathing a collective sigh of relief. "Thanks, SCAMPS, you the man! An easy mission!" Yes, I'm 'the man', but no, it's not an easy mission.

Actually, I'll be shocked if you all make it out alive.

That's right, it's a convoy. What you're looking at is a photograph we got off one of our operatives' cameras. From left to right, it's a carrier, the research ship, and a gunship. Veterans from Taghdara will recognize the gunship - and yes, I can see you assholes shitting yourselves. We need every advantage we can get, and this is tech so advanced that we don't have anything comparable. It's worth a bit of risk - as is anything else they might have on board. It's a research ship, after all, so I expect they have something.

Your task is to get in there, disable whatever guns are necessary, and keep any fighters at bay that you need to as you board the research ship. We know they have at least eight. The side hangar may be your best bet for boarding, as it doesn't have energy shielding. After that, knock out the cargo bay's force field, find the Dark Space craft, attach a beacon, and drop it into open space. We'll have a small warp convoy arriving approximately thirty minutes after you, and they'll pick it up and carry it to safety - and you, too, if you're within range. If not, well, sucks to be you.

Did I hear an "oh crap"? Hell yes, this is "oh crap". These guys have anti-aircraft guns out their asses. Although it's nothing on the scale of Chilendorn's worldship destroyers, they're still better equipped than you are and they probably expect somebody to show up. The star system is mostly uninhabited, but those who dwell there aren't at all friendly with Mimir. If that carrier is packing fighters, you’ll have to leave half your squads outside, and have only half of you board the research vessel. It shouldn't be as bad as Chilendorn or Taghdara... but then again, that's what I always say.

As always, I'll be in touch with you during the mission. My engineers have made a few modifications, and I can now chat between squads without inhibitions. To get in contact with me, just talk into your radio and ask for SCAMPS. to get in contact with anyone else, just talk - everyone will hear you. Sound fine? Good.

You have thirty minutes before we ship you out. Anybody lagging behind can be our next lab rats. Commence the shitty small-talk.

And the lights brighten again to a comfortable glow. The screen at the end of the room still holds SCAMPS' last image, and the holocomputers in the center of the table hold several 3D models of the ships.

The job begins.
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image
Re: REKT: The Tartarus (Prison ship)

Sits quietly, scanning over each member of the platoon slowly, wondering what squad (If any) he'll be invited to.
<Detritus> I went up to my mom and said "hey... do you feel like giving five dollars to black lives matter?" and she laughed and said no :v <Black--Snow> my life does matter though ~~ added by Hema on Jun 11 2020 (2770)

Foreigner wrote:
Oh well. Shit.

Get up, get some tea with milk, some high-quality biscuits and a half-shot of real, made-on-Earth Scottish whisky (preferably something from the islands - Arran 14 or 18 y.o. will do just fine) from the bar. Enjoy the drink.

Approach the newly arrived bloke (that's a horrible pun - approach Blake).

"Hey there. Name's Scott. People call me Foreigner. I'm commanding Squad 3. And you'd be...?"

Survivor of the Josh Parnell Blackout of 2015.

Stand and face foreigner
"The name's Blake, don't really have a nickname. It's nice to meet you, though I suppose it would be nicer under better circumstances"
Extend hand in an invitation for a handshake
<Detritus> I went up to my mom and said "hey... do you feel like giving five dollars to black lives matter?" and she laughed and said no :v <Black--Snow> my life does matter though ~~ added by Hema on Jun 11 2020 (2770)

"So SCAMPS, let me get this straight. We're on a 3 km ship equipped for battle and filled to the brim with dangerous experimental weaponry and you're sending 30 or so fighters to fight 3 frigates, 2 of which are battle-equipped? Are you mad?
I know you don't care about our survival, fair enough, but you do care about finishing the mission successfully, no?"

I sigh about the incompetence of people/robots/computers/whatever and go look at the ship pictures and try if I can remember/deduce anything about these types of ships that might come in handy, and relay that info to the rest where applicable. (( general knowledge \o/ ))

"Alright, people, I see we have more new faces than we can get into our three squads - I suggest we make a fourth squad and put Hema in charge - we're short on corporals and he's good at tactics, he'll do fine.
I have two spaces left in my squad (( reserved for Tonon and Kai'isha, as per Sly's request ;) )), and so will Foreigner. And Hema will have 4 places left.
You guys can fight over which one of the rookies you want under your loving wings, I think Tonon here wanted to ask me something.
(( I suspect Tulius will prefer to be in the same squad as Rikke,
We'll need a support type NPC for Hema's Squad since none of the players left has a repair kit ))

If Tonon and/or Kai'isha ask to join my squad, accept them.

"Hey Francis, what did you get for your loadout? Did you see that MK 1b CASKET, it's 50% faster than the standard one - seemed up your alley. And with the enhanced spectrum you'd be able to spot and fly away from enemies sooner. Which suits your not getting killed, and if it means you can do some scouting work for us that would be nice too."

(( unassigned players/NPC's:
Blake Lowe (black--snow)
Unit4965 (Idunno)
Tulius (A New Challenger)

Chavez
Rikke
Clara
Taniya ))
Last edited by Dinosawer on Thu Oct 29, 2015 3:05 am, edited 5 times in total.
Warning: do not ask about physics unless you really want to know about physics.
The LT IRC / Alternate link || The REKT Wiki || PUDDING

Foreigner wrote:
Shake Blake's hand.

"Nice to meet you as well. Are you looking for a squad to join? Mine is one fighter short, and I we should re-organise squads for better efficiency anyway. Tell me...what can you do as a fighter?"

"Dino, I think re-organising our forces now will put everything in disarray...but it might be worth the gamble. If Hema wants to assume command, I'll let him."

"Well, I'm obviously in need of a squad and seeming as I've already made your acquaintance I'm inclined to say yes, I would like to be a part of your squad."

"To answer your question, I'm better than your average Joe with hacking algorithms (+1 Hacking) and I can be creative with materials and some tools (+1 Handiwork). Plus, I can fire any conventional weapons with fair proficiency. (+1 Conventional)"
"You probably don't want to be quizzing me on the capital of any planets, though. (-1 General Knowledge)"

Foreigner wrote:
"Ok, with Hema here gone to command his own squad we'll no longer be 'mostly unconventional infiltration&building shit squad', so it'll require a bit different tactics. We'll need to think about it. But by all means, count yourself in, and welcome to the Third Squad."

"Here we have them. Zorathex is an engineer. He MacGyvers stuff. He's also good with unconventional weaponry.

Fawkes is a pilot and an engineer, he's also good with shooting and has nerves of steel. If anything happens to me, he'll assume command. And me - well, I'm a swordsman and a scientist. I also use Tesla Arc Thrower a lot, so it's better to keep some distance in combat situations."

"Fawkes, you're my second-in-command now."

"Zorathex - I got you a mobile workstation. If you want to revise your gear, now is the last chance to do so."

Now, we'll need one more person...and I'm thinking I've got the idea.

Approach Clara and say hello. Ask her how is she doing, and whether she wants to be in my squad. Be kind yet firm.

Dinosawer wrote: "Alright, people, I see we have more new faces than we can get into our three squads - I suggest we make a fourth squad and put Hema in charge - we're short on corporals and he's good at tactics, he'll do fine.

Blake Lowe (black--snow)
Unit4965 (Idunno)
Tulius ( A New Challenger

Chavez
Rikke
Clara
Taniya ))
"Thanks for the support, Dino. Alright, I'm up for leading squad 4! If anyone wishes to join, they'll need to talk to me. Taniya, Unit 4965, Tulius and Rikke, it looks like you're with me. Taniya, I need to ask if you a favor. Unit 4965 doesn't have a repair kit and he needs one. I only have one credit, and repair kits cost two, so I was wondering if you could spare a credit."

Locate BFett, and initiate quiet conversation with him.
"BFett, seems I may be leading squad 4. It looks like unit 4965 might end up on my squad. The problem is, I've been told he's good with repairing things, and he doesn't have a repair kit. I was hoping that you could lend me a credit, or know someone who could, so I could get him one for the next mission."
Breaker of fortune cookies

I have to agree with dino here SCAMPS, sending us against a bunch of static turrets is one thing. Sending a platoon of roughly 30 people at a fully equipped gunship and a carrier seems idiotic.
At the very least you could give us some more info about these ships.

What's their equipment?
Weapons and ammo-type?
How much ships can that carrier hold?
Their defense systems?
Their crew?
etc.

Walk over towards the pictures of the ships and look for weapons, entry ways to each ship, weak points, blind spots etc.
Also try to remember any info about these types of ship that I might have learned in the past
Last edited by Cha0zz on Thu Oct 29, 2015 6:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
LT Wiki | IRC | REKT Wiki
Idiots. Idiots everywhere. ~Dr. Cha0zz

Dinosawer wrote:"Hey Francis, what did you get for your loadout? Did you see that MK 1b CASKET, it's 50% faster than the standard one - seemed up your alley. And with the enhanced spectrum you'd be able to spot and fly away from enemies sooner. Which suits your not getting killed, and if it means you can do some scouting work for us that would be nice too."
"I wasn't going to bother with these, but given the mission they would be a good idea." (( i.e. I'll take them if it's not too late now. :mrgreen: ))
Games I like, in order of how much I like them. (Now permanent and updated regularly!)

Online Now