Return to “REKT”

Are you OK with squad leaders telling you what to do?

I am only a poor, humble sheep and I should let my squad leader guide me in everything.
(No votes)
I delegate planning and setting objectives to my squad leader, but I want to find a way of achieving them myself - AND I WANT TO BE ADVISED ON HOW TO DO IT.
Total votes: 1 (8%)
I delegate planning and setting objectives to my squad leader, but I want to find a way of achieving them myself EVEN IF IT KILLS ME.
Total votes: 3 (23%)
Liberté, égalité, fraternité! I'll make my mind myself, BUT I'LL LISTEN TO REASON.
Total votes: 7 (54%)
¡Viva la revolución! No man or beast or robot shall rule upon me!
Total votes: 2 (15%)
Total votes: 13
Post

Re: REKT micromanaging: the pollening

#16
Dinosawer wrote:Say, Francis, he's an idiot in-char, so I don't ask him anything unless it's really necesary, and I try to RP to get his char to do it.
Not only that, but Francis will refuse to do most things even when asked, because he gets bored easily and will just decide to do something else.

I'm guilty of just accepting orders sometimes, but it's usually when there isn't much else to do. As far as I'm concerned, as long as they're not pretty much playing another character they can micromanage all they want.
Games I like, in order of how much I like them. (Now permanent and updated regularly!)
Post

Re: REKT micromanaging: the pollening

#19
I don't mind my character being told what to do and what not to do in the role playing threads. I do have a problem with being told that my choice to shoot at multiple targets with the same gun is wrong. Please let me role play my character the way I want to. If however, I am putting your character in danger by doing a particular action, please let me know and I'll likely change the action or make it much more specific.

((Some of this is fresh in my mind because of a conversation I had with Cha0zz earlier today. It still applies to everyone else as well.))
Image
Post

Re: REKT micromanaging: the pollening

#20
That wasn't him trying to stop you from role-playing, that was about the rules - you said you wanted to shoot multiple times to increase your odds of hitting stuff, but because of the multiroll rule you actually get the opposite effect - unless you have +3 or higher you lower your odds of hitting anything at all.

(In the case of 2 targets, you go from 50 percent chance to hit a target to 56.25 percent chance to hit nothing, 37.5 percent chance to hit one thing and 6.25 percent chance to hit both)
If you want to because rp, sure, but that wasn't what you said, so he was just pointing out your actions did not align with your stated goal.
Warning: do not ask about physics unless you really want to know about physics.
The LT IRC / Alternate link || The REKT Wiki || PUDDING
Image
Post

Re: REKT micromanaging: the pollening

#21
It works like so.

Possible outcomes for aiming at a single target:
  • Miss
  • Hit
Possible outcomes for aiming at two targets:
  • Miss
  • Miss one, hit one
  • Epic double kill
Potentially, his turn can be a lot cooler by shooting at two instead of one. His chances of actually making the shots, with his +2, are about 40% for each, as compared to a 67% chance for just one.
Have a question? Send me a PM! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image
Image
Image
Post

Re: REKT micromanaging: the pollening

#23
Well, look. The chance of getting either 40% is about 64%(very roughly, just estimated it more or less). This means that his chance to hit at least one of them only very slightly decreases (by about... 3 percent-ish?) and he also has the chance to hit both of them (even though that's only about 16%). Roughly equal chance to get a kill, with a 1 in 6 chance to get a double kill? I'd take that shot.
Have a question? Send me a PM! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image
Image
Image
Post

Re: REKT micromanaging: the pollening

#25
BFett wrote:I don't mind my character being told what to do and what not to do in the role playing threads. I do have a problem with being told that my choice to shoot at multiple targets with the same gun is wrong. Please let me role play my character the way I want to. If however, I am putting your character in danger by doing a particular action, please let me know and I'll likely change the action or make it much more specific.

((Some of this is fresh in my mind because of a conversation I had with Cha0zz earlier today. It still applies to everyone else as well.))

Just for clarity, I had no intention to tell you how to play your character or whatever.
You said that you didn't want to miss and I told you the rules because your action lowered the chance of hitting anything.
The only thing I wanted is to make sure that you were understanding that that was a fact so that you could make an informed decision.

Talvieno wrote:I think something you guys are missing is that nothing is mission-critical. If almost everybody is trying to botch the mission, I will let you botch the mission. If enough people are trying to complete the mission, the NPCs will help you pull through. You can safely lose people if they don't want to play nice. Micromanaging is not necessary in any way, shape, or form. The NPCs are there to keep it from being so.
Yeah, sure, we know that there is an all powerful gm that can literally collapse the universe onto the head of our characters or magically make the enemies blow up in-front of our eyes.
But our characters don't know that, they have a totally different viewpoint on this. You can't expect them to act like they know that you are managing the game. For the characters a single person can cause a mission to fail or not.
LT Wiki | IRC | REKT Wiki
Image
Idiots. Idiots everywhere. ~Dr. Cha0zz
Post

Re: REKT micromanaging: the pollening

#26
Talvieno wrote:Well, look. The chance of getting either 40% is about 64%(very roughly, just estimated it more or less). This means that his chance to hit at least one of them only very slightly decreases (by about... 3 percent-ish?) and he also has the chance to hit both of them (even though that's only about 16%). Roughly equal chance to get a kill, with a 1 in 6 chance to get a double kill? I'd take that shot.
Actually, I already did the math above, and yours is a bit off I think :ghost:
You decrease you chance of hitting at least one by 6 percent to get a chance of 1 in 16 to kill both, which is a bit less positive.
And that's only if he has a +2, which means they have to have intuition + durability =-1 or lower. If they don't have that (which seems likely, since they're heavily armoured) and he only has +1, it becomes
79% chance of hitting nothing (instead of 66)
19.8 % chance of hitting one of them
1.23% chance of hitting both
(instead of 33 to hit one)

So you're kind of gambling double, since we don't know their stats.
If he wants to go for that, great! I just want him to make informed decisions because I know most people aren't good with probability math.
BFett wrote:I don't recall saying that I was going to shoot both targets to better my chances of hitting one of them. I am very aware of the current rule about shooting multiple targets with one weapon.
Well, you said
BFett on IRC wrote:<BFett> why do I only need to shoot one
<BFett> I don't want to miss
Maybe you meant something else by that, but you didn't elaborate ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Warning: do not ask about physics unless you really want to know about physics.
The LT IRC / Alternate link || The REKT Wiki || PUDDING
Image
Post

Re: REKT micromanaging: the pollening

#27
Every single time I look at this thread, I keep on expecting a documentary about the flower 'micromanaging' and its reproduction cycle. :ghost: :shifty:
Image The results of logic, of natural progression? Boring! An expected result? Dull! An obvious next step? Pfui! Where is the fun in that? A dream may soothe, but our nightmares make us run!
Post

Re: REKT micromanaging: the pollening

#28
So...I finally got time to work on this. :oops:

First of all: In case I offended anyone with anything I said or suggested...I'm sorry, please tell me, if I am behaving obstrusive. Those of Team 2 of the VR-Session will know that I'm a chatterbox who likes to know who does what and how and stuff. :silent:

I also want to say, that I see most things I read and write to others as suggestions...but I guess I fail at that pretty hard. :oops:

And that's also my answer to the poll: I see most things written as suggestions or in case of bigger actions as a kind of checkpoint to reach. I will generally keep close trying to follow along, and If something really gets my interest, I'll try to get to it. Somehow... :?
Apparently, sometimes stuff might happen.

Online Now

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron