Return to “REKT”

Are you OK with squad leaders telling you what to do?

I am only a poor, humble sheep and I should let my squad leader guide me in everything.
(No votes)
I delegate planning and setting objectives to my squad leader, but I want to find a way of achieving them myself - AND I WANT TO BE ADVISED ON HOW TO DO IT.
Total votes: 1 (8%)
I delegate planning and setting objectives to my squad leader, but I want to find a way of achieving them myself EVEN IF IT KILLS ME.
Total votes: 3 (23%)
Liberté, égalité, fraternité! I'll make my mind myself, BUT I'LL LISTEN TO REASON.
Total votes: 7 (54%)
¡Viva la revolución! No man or beast or robot shall rule upon me!
Total votes: 2 (15%)
Total votes: 13
REKT micromanaging: the pollening

Our little fun (FUN!) game of REKT has drawn some criticisms recently due to squad leaders micromanaging their subordinates both in- and out- of-character and not letting them live and die by their own volition. Squad 1 and in particular - Squad 3 leaders are guilty of that.

Do you think we should change that, correct excesses or dismantle the rank system altogether? Please be honest; it's important to make the game fun (FUN!) for everyone.

EDIT: Squad leaders, please give us full disclosure on how you've voted :D

Hint: I hate to micro-manage but I'm also willing the mission to succeed; so I'd prefer to override certain decisions than let you get in the harm's way / fail to achieve an objective.
Survivor of the Josh Parnell Blackout of 2015.
Re: REKT micromanaging: the pollening

My approach is, as little as possible, as much as is needed, and as in-character as possible. And set goals, not methods.
Say, Francis, he's an idiot in-char, so I don't ask him anything unless it's really necesary, and I try to RP to get his char to do it. I gave Tonon some more pointers in the start to try to keep him alive, but now he's wandered off I let him do whatever he wants. Squidhead is more of a cooperation - I usually give the first idea, but that's because I post quicker, and I generally go back and adapt my post to his after discussion too.

I micromanage Kai'isha, but she's an NPC and a ditz :ghost:
Warning: do not ask about physics unless you really want to know about physics.
The LT IRC / Alternate link || The REKT Wiki || PUDDING

Well, this is a bit of a difficult poll to answer for me.
I don't think that there is a single good answer on this poll, so that's why I didn't pick one.

I think that the managing of the leader is very situation dependant.

Some situations require more micromanaging to make sure that everything goes smoothly an example of that would be a large coordinated attack. A situation like this was in the start of mission 2 (the attack on the gunship) and that's why I micromanaged the hell out of my squad at that moment. Because I felt like it was needed to gain a good efficiency and to avoid plunging into chaos (people all attacking the same turrets etc)

In other situations, less guidance is needed but a general direction and coordination of the squad is still a must. Thus you give your squad goals that they themselves can choose how to complete in a way they seem fit.
If one of the squad members however looks like he or she choose a solution that seems dangerous or incredibly inefficient, it should be the task of the leader to point that out and possibly show them a route with a better chance of success (e.g.: attacking multiple enemies with one weapon vs attacking a single enemy with that weapon)

Sometimes, you can let your squad members do as they seem fit, but again you can always point out when they're endangering their own squad.

Then we also have options that are purely character dependant.

Some characters adore their leader, look up to them and thus will always look at him for guidance.

Other characters are rebels and don't like to be commanded, told what they should do or even hinted what they should do and thus will always do things their own way. They might even purposely work against directions/ help/ advice given by the leaders, just because they can.

Other options are then again dependant on the player.

Some players just don't like to come up with complex strategies and will thus rely more on the leaders.
Other players might then again like to come up with strategic approaches and will contribute this to the leader to come to an optimum that both can agree on. Or they just do as they want.

In the end I don't think that there is a good answer to this post because it depends upon so many factors: The players, the characters and the situation.
Personally I think that the best option would be to minimise the micromanaging as much as possible while trying to keep the efficiency of your squad as high as possible.

In the end, the players should also realise that the choice is on them how much micromanaging happens, not on the leader. The leader may try to micromanage the fuck out of everyone but the players are still the one that do the actions. YOU chose how you play the game, what you take into account, what you listen and don't listen to.
LT Wiki | IRC | REKT Wiki
Idiots. Idiots everywhere. ~Dr. Cha0zz

I think something you guys are missing is that nothing is mission-critical. If almost everybody is trying to botch the mission, I will let you botch the mission. If enough people are trying to complete the mission, the NPCs will help you pull through. You can safely lose people if they don't want to play nice. Micromanaging is not necessary in any way, shape, or form. The NPCs are there to keep it from being so.

Edit: If your squad members don't want to follow your lead, that does not mean you are any less of a leader. Leading is not micromanaging and dictating - leading is going ahead and giving the others the option to follow. You won't gain rank points for micromanaging, either. Why would I promote someone that actively made the game less fun for people? :P
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Well, yeah, but the key thing here is how you word it. Saying, "Hey, Francis, you could go do X if you have time" isn't too bad. Saying "Francis, stop what you're doing and do X EXACTLY the way I say it and DON'T DO ANYTHING ELSE FIRST, then when you're done do Y and Z exactly in that order" is a bit too far.
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Online Now