Return to “REKT”

Re: REKT: Mission 2: Sedirmar Convoy

Zorathex fly's to the shieldmaiden, and takes any cables foreigner is offering, takes them to his CASKET and stores them inside, he then gets into his CASKET fly's into the hangar tries to grab the objective using magnetic clamps and/or robotic arms, and if that fails he binds the objective with the cables foreigner gave him, and then fly off with the objective in tow.

outlander4 wrote:"Clara, that's an impressive piece of work; I'm really glad to have you with us. Now, our folks in the rear hangar are being killed; do you think you can offer them some fire support? Maybe induce an anti-matter containment failure in the ship's engine the hostiles are using as cover?"
She hesitates for a moment before asking, "Are you sure it's such a good idea for me to get in the line of fire of that? What if they start attacking my ship? ...I'll try, though."
outlander4 wrote:"Anyone who's free, please damage the engines some more."
You hear Kalla over the comms. "I'll try to, but Fallen and I are both out of ammo, so we'll be lucky to deal much damage."
outlander4 wrote:"SCAMPS, thank you for information. Does forecast on those MIMIR reinforcements still hold? Could your extraction team delay them by jamming or something?"
"We could certainly set up a warp web, but it's not going to do much good when they're less than ten fukcing kilometers away. They have a lot headed in, so you'd better finish up or this is going to end up being a total wipe, and up-top will not be pleased." He pauses for a moment and then adds, "And to everyone, for future reference: If you've decided to play a retard card and have no idea how to accomplish the objective, ask, shitbag. It's like of every damn squad that comes through Tartarus, I get the numbskulls that have aversions to asking me questions. ...You excluded, of course, Foreigner."
Hema wrote:"Taniya, see what you can do to help out. I'm not sure what condition everyone's in."
She seems taken aback for a moment. "What? Well... you've been out of it, so lemme give you a quick rundown on what's crackin', all right? My leg is shot up and I can't get this Kai'isha girl to fix my suit up. Yeah, the guy has a busted leg, but he can hobble along, am I right? But me? Hell, I ain't goin' anywhere without my suit patched up, so she'd better step up her game." After a pause, she adds, "Oh, and welcome back to the living, honey. I almost thought we'd lost you."
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Talvieno wrote:
outlander4 wrote:"Clara, that's an impressive piece of work; I'm really glad to have you with us. Now, our folks in the rear hangar are being killed; do you think you can offer them some fire support? Maybe induce an anti-matter containment failure in the ship's engine the hostiles are using as cover?"
She hesitates for a moment before asking, "Are you sure it's such a good idea for me to get in the line of fire of that? What if they start attacking my ship? ...I'll try, though."
"Clara, you stay away from the battlefield and use your Null-field to collapse the anti-matter containment field on the civilian ship the hostiles are using as a cover. Oh, and maybe loot the shield generator that Zorathex recovered from the Wreck-Maiden and left floating somewhere if you have time?"

((edited))
Survivor of the Josh Parnell Blackout of 2015.

Spoiler:      SHOW
Squidhead wrote: turn off the big projected shield, reconfigure the projectors for an as-airtight-as-possible configuration around the back hangar ((DONT EXTEND THE SHIELD INTO THE HULL, JUST AS CONFORM/TIGHT AS POSSIBLE #iTalian)). activate the shield around the hangar when possible, with the maiden inside.

if the hangar shields go down:
when the hangar shield goes down, fire a salvo of the maidens rockets towards the mimir guys marked in the image above.
turn off the personal shields of the maiden and grab the repair and medkits. rush towards the front end of the maiden, to the doors
(if one of the dead mimir guys along the way happen to have something along the lines of a plasma streamer, drop the electrorifle and take the plasma gun instead)
get out of the maiden and cover dino with all available gun weaponry (laser rifle + plasma/electro rifle, depending on whats available).
if dino cant get over to the maiden on his own pull him in with the PSI unit if in range, or jump over to the SV and get dino over to the maiden
assist dino/myself with the PSI unit while jumping from/to the SV.

when dino is in the maiden (or pulled into cover when going back to the maiden is not possible) seal his injured leg with supplies from the med/repair kit ((duct tape all the things!))
give him a shot of painkillers.
Edit:
Shield against the hull, not into
Last edited by Cornflakes_91 on Sat Apr 09, 2016 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

REKT wrote:You sit in a cage, the bars composed primarily of sticks of dynamite, beneath the distorted shapes of floating earth in the bright blue, clouded sky far above. Timid, puny humans leap from boulder to boulder in this world, which seems completely familiar. Their presence infuriates you in a way that feels rather calming and comfortable. You smell something nice; over to your left, there's a fleshbag roasting on a stick above an eternally burning napalm grenade spill. He looks like Morgan Freeman. It's a pity he's dead - he did have a rather wonderful voice - quite possibly the best meatbag voice there was.

A large, circular face looms up before you - many dozens of times larger than any of the little clumps of earth that the humans are jumping across on. It has large eyes with small, intensely dark pupils, slick black hair that looks almost like a glossy plastic, a gleeful/sinister grin, and a large red nose. "Hello, Aegagrus," it says, its mouth moving in heavy exaggeration as it pronounces each syllable. "It is nice to see you again. You have not forgotten me, have you?" You think you recognize him, but who it is, only you can say - it feels as though he's always existed. You decline to answer, only looking around you. There's a flamethrower and a grapple sitting just outside your cage. "You can have that, you know," the face says. You can't decide whether it's mocking you or encouraging you.
The goat looks back at the face of the Goatman of the Apocalypse, peering deep into it's soulless eyes.
The utters, in a tongue long forgotten to man, goat, and god alike, "You're late."
The goat flicks his eyes down to an ornate silver chess set, "And it's your move."
The goat motions at the pieces, tiny humans, some dressed as Mimir, some as REKT forces, a single goat in the center.

The goat contemplates for a moment, then says one last word. "Check."
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
WebGL Spaceships and Trails
<Cuisinart8> apparently without the demon driving him around Silver has the intelligence of a botched lobotomy patient ~ Mar 04 2020
console.log(`What's all ${this} ${Date.now()}`);

"Thanks for the assist, Kai'isha, I'd be in real trouble if not for your help.

Kalla, I'm heading back to space, since I don't need both legs to fly. Any orders?"

Follow Kalla's orders. Fire on an incoming Mimir fighter with the electrolaser to try and disable it. Evade incoming fire and try not to get shot up even worse.

TURN 18

Time elapsed: 30 minutes, 45 seconds (2:00 passes this turn)
45 seconds until Science Vessel engines are repaired
REINFORCEMENTS HAVE ARRIVED
The invasion begins

It's time to flee
____1. TOPSIDE CREW
A. BFett
B. Foreigner
C. Zorathex
D. Fawkes
E. Francis
F. Squidhead
____2. BOARDING CREW
A. Dr. Cha0zz
B. Ysavva
C. Hema
D. Unit 4965
E. Aegagrus
F. Blake
G. Dinosawer
H. Tonon
I. Andrew

TOPSIDE CREW

BFett - Sq. 1
BFett wrote:"I copy Dino, heading there. Everyone stand clear of all hostiles, I'm about to do some serious damage to those guys."

Heads to rear hanger and uses particle gun on hostile #8. ((Fires neutron gun at ammo cache #10 is using for cover.))
BFett wrote:"Outlander, tell me where they are and I'll fry them for you."

((Do this action last))Hacks the nearest hostile hammer which hasn't been hacked yet and sets the missiles to explode once they fire. (Using the same program as last time if possible.)
You fly back to the Science Vessel's Cargo bay and look over the scene. The ground troops did an impressive amount of damage for being ground troops - civilian ships lay as wrecks scattered about the deck in smoking, smoldering piles of rubble - a giant beast rages across the back of the hangar, seeming to care little about the lack of oxygen in its environment - at least for a time. You take aim at one of the enemies - one that's utilizing some kind of dropshield - and spray a long stream of particles in his direction. The shield falls after an explosion, and the man scrambles away to get into cover - but the boarbear picks him up and takes a huge bite out of the side of his chest, before ripping him in two and flinging his pieces to the side.

You decide your job is done for now, and fly back upwards, looking for a HAMMER to hack - except, there aren't any in range.

Foreigner - Sq. 3
outlander4 wrote:Dear God we are running out if time.

"Clara, that's an impressive piece of work; I'm really glad to have you with us. Now, our folks in the rear hangar are being killed; do you think you can offer them some fire support? Maybe induce an anti-matter containment failure in the ship's engine the hostiles are using as cover?"

"Anyone who's free, please damage the engines some more."

Anyone who's free from blowing up the engines - we are in need of some precision fire here. Please assist in covering the objective's retrieval.

Bloody Hell I've got to go fast.

Fly the Maiden to the rear hangar; leave it floating within the jump distance if possible. Put an explosive bolt into my crossbow. WHEN/IF the forcefield drops, go to the nearest hull opening and shoot at the meanest-looking enemy. Account for bolt transitioning from zero-g to artificial gravity once it enters the hangar. Avoid enemies that are close to allied soldiers.

Search for some sturdy cable on the Miaden; give it to Zorathex IF he needs it.

Be ready to kill any MIMIR soldiers trying to board the Maiden with my sword and electron sword (one weapon per enemy).

IF and only IF all rear hangar folks and the objective are recovered, fly to the side hangar.

((edited a lot))
outlander4 wrote:
"Clara, you stay away from the battlefield and use your Null-field to collapse the anti-matter containment field on the civilian ship the hostiles are using as a cover. Oh, and maybe loot the shield generator that Zorathex recovered from the Wreck-Maiden and left floating somewhere if you have time?"

((edited))
"Bloody hell, I've got to go fast," you mutter. As you begin to pilot the shieldmaiden to the rear hangar, you radio that people need to start damaging the engines - and trying to help with precision fire in the rear hangar. It isn't long before you're behind the science vessel - within jump distance, but nowhere close. The engines of the ship jut out well behind the cargo bay, making it difficult to park the Maiden very close. This turns out to be a major flaw in your plans... However, without any way to get the Maiden closer than it already is, you simply load an explosive bolt into your crossbow and head towards the entrance, hanging out by one arm and waiting. From this distance, the people moving around beyond the field are hardly more than little figures, all but unrecognizable. Squidhead apparently fails to put up shields around the cargo bay - as to why, you're not sure.

Eventually the force fields fall - the fires within are sucked away in an instant, snuffed out like a candle - you fire your explosive bolt at the cargo bay, trying to account for the gravity within - but you can tell as the bolt leaves your bow that it's not going to come anywhere near hitting.

Zorathex parks his ship over to your right, waiting for the cabling you said you'd toss him. Growling, you leave the entrance and storm up the ramps to the central corridor, past the holes in the walls gouged by the railgun round. You start digging around in the cabinets. They're filled with all sorts of electromechanical goodies - gears, wires, circuit boards, power supplies, batteries - it's a shame nobody managed to take advantage of all of this during the mission. You search around for a while and it isn't long before you've found a coil of cabling. It doesn't look very long, unfortunately, but it'll have to do - you need to hurry up and get things moving.

After rushing back to the entrance of the vessel, you look about. Squidhead has already left - it looks like he's trying to rescue Dinosawer - and Zorathex is waiting atop his CASKET, just outside. You toss him the cabling you found, and he grabs it and heads off towards the cargo bay. Meanwhile, you see Blake come sailing up towards the Maiden, shipless. From his trajectory, it looks like he's going to land atop the maiden. You make a note of it so you won't shake him off by accident later.

Before much longer, Squidhead arrives - with Dinosawer's torso. "He managed to activate the beacon, but he's gone," Squidhead says as he grabs ahold of the doorframe with his tentacles, pulling himself inside. "Zorathex picked up the objective - we're ready to go."

You give a nod and head back to the controls, taking a course around the southern side of the science vessel to let people get to their ships. Hopefully this will be the Maiden's last stop before getting home.

Zorathex - Sq. 3
Zorathex wrote:Zorathex fly's to the shieldmaiden, and takes any cables foreigner is offering, takes them to his CASKET and stores them inside, he then gets into his CASKET fly's into the hangar tries to grab the objective using magnetic clamps and/or robotic arms, and if that fails he binds the objective with the cables foreigner gave him, and then fly off with the objective in tow.
You fly your CASKET to the shieldmaiden, staying alongside it as it travels to the rear of the research ship. Foreigner is leaning out of the side, firing a shot with his crossbow - as soon as he sees you, he heads back inside, looking for a cable. You park your ship nearby, open your canopy, and sit on the edge of your ship, waiting for him to return.

Foreigner eventually does return, though it seems like a lifetime of waiting. He tosses a bundle of cabling to you, and you catch it, looking it over. Its surprisingly short. You might be able to get it done with something like this, but you decide it would probably be best just to get the objective picked up the first time with your electromagnetic clamps. After climbing back into your cockpit and putting the cabling in your lap, you turn your CASKET and fly back to the hangar.

The hangar is a disaster. A huge beast is rampaging along the back wall, ripping up Mimir soldiers and flinging their broken bodies to the floor - often with bite-sized chunks taken out of them. Ships lay burned and broken, strewn across the deck. Blood is smeared and splattered everywhere, and plasma flies back and forth as REKT and Mimir forces try desperately to eliminate each other in their final hours. You, however, merely maneuver your ship into the hangar, hovering above the strangely shaped, all-black object that SCAMPS said was the objective, and lower your vehicle down to it. Your ship shudders slightly as a few different plasma weapons hit your hull, but you keep your course straight and true. You grab onto the alien ship with your electromagnetic clamps and lift it up, carefully, out of the hangar. You then fly past the Shieldmaiden, your cargo secure beneath you.

Fawkes - Sq. 3
F4wk35 wrote:"Sorry Commander, I haven't managed to secure your Ship yet. Give me another try. I'll meet up at the Hangar-Bay shortly."

Try a second time to dock on Foreigner's CASKET with my Landing-Clamps. This time, use the Robotic Clamps to stabilize the ship and then try to dock. Try not to damage weapons or the cockpit.
Then proceed on even if it's a failure. Start muttering in case of Failure: "Darn Ships, why can't they do what you tell them once."

If the Pick-Up is successful, keep the additional weight and resulting problems with maneuvering in mind when proceeding!

If the Shield is lowered already when i get there, give suppressing Fire to the M-Guys with the Particle gun. If then the BoarBear appears and it seems to attack the M-Guys, wait until it wants to attack one of the Tartarus-Inmates and shoot it with the Railgun. If it goes down agains the M-Guys. Shoot one of them instead, preferably the most dangerous looking one. (( :P ))

At any Time, keep away from the Maiden's Rocket-Launchers and the line-of-fire of my companions, as well of the engine they want to blow up. Also, don't shoot at M-Guys who are too close to companions.

((BFett? You might want to check the location of the "Next hostile Hammer" first. It looks to me like those are pretty far away from our position.))
F4wk35 wrote:"Fine with me then, SCAMPS. Can you tell us then from what direction we can expect the enemy-reinforcements? Also...can you give us a heads-up on the location of our extraction? Much obliged.
You try again to land on Foreigner's ship, hoping that perhaps this time, you'll be able to grab it - but it soon becomes clear that with so many of your thrusters gone, there's just no way you're going to be able to get the maneuverability you need to pick it up. "Darn ships," you mutter, grinding your teeth in frustration. "Why can't they do what you tell them, even just once." But really - there's nothing you can do. Perhaps someone else with a less-damaged ship could pick it up, but you certainly can't.

Without any way to grab Foreigner's CASKET, you fly back to the rear of the shieldmaiden and wait for the force field to drop. It takes some time - but eventually, it goes down. You hurriedly fire off several streams with your particle gun, causing the Mimir troops within the cargo bay to duck behind cover, pinning them down and keeping them from advancing on your allies. The boarbear is already out and rampaging among them - you try to get a nice shot off on one of the enemies with your railgun, but you miss, just barely. It does distract your target enough for the Boarbear to scoop it up and rip it into shreds, though.

It isn't long before Zorathex emerges from the battlefield, carrying the objective, beacon, Squidhead, and Dinosawer beneath him. The mission is almost over.

You're more than ready to go home.

Francis - Sq. 4
DigitalDuck wrote:"Wheeee! Well, that's enough from me!"

Have a nap. If pickup arrives, get to it.
"Whew! I've had enough!" you say, settling back into the soft, cushy seating in your Luxury CASKET, and closing your eyes. You're just beginning to fall asleep. The thought that fate might eventually let you actually take a nap... it fills you with determination.

You're still awake though. You consider investing in some Whiff next time around.

Squidhead - Sq. 4
Cornflakes_91 wrote:Image
Squidhead wrote: turn off the big projected shield, reconfigure the projectors for an as-airtight-as-possible configuration around the back hangar ((DONT EXTEND THE SHIELD INTO THE HULL, JUST AS CONFORM/TIGHT AS POSSIBLE #iTalian)). activate the shield around the hangar when possible, with the maiden inside.

if the hangar shields go down:
when the hangar shield goes down, fire a salvo of the maidens rockets towards the mimir guys marked in the image above.
turn off the personal shields of the maiden and grab the repair and medkits. rush towards the front end of the maiden, to the doors
(if one of the dead mimir guys along the way happen to have something along the lines of a plasma streamer, drop the electrorifle and take the plasma gun instead)
get out of the maiden and cover dino with all available gun weaponry (laser rifle + plasma/electro rifle, depending on whats available).
if dino cant get over to the maiden on his own pull him in with the PSI unit if in range, or jump over to the SV and get dino over to the maiden
assist dino/myself with the PSI unit while jumping from/to the SV.

when dino is in the maiden (or pulled into cover when going back to the maiden is not possible) seal his injured leg with supplies from the med/repair kit ((duct tape all the things!))
give him a shot of painkillers.
Edit:
Shield against the hull, not into Image
As Foreigner begins to maneuver the Shieldmaiden back into position behind the Science Vessel, you hurriedly shut down the current shield configuration and try to set them up around the entrance to the cargo bay, but you can't figure out how to manage it. Foreigner parked too far away from it - and it's obvious why, in retrospect. The science vessel's rear engines jut out away from the back of the ship, and the Maiden won't fit in the gap - at least, not horizontally. Foreigner could've parked it vertically, but of course, he didn't think of that. You do your best to make an elongated egg shape about the Maiden, reaching to the bay, but it just doesn't work like you'd planned... and you're eventually forced to give up. The maiden is protected - but the cargo bay won't be. You won't be able to keep the air inside, either.

You climb your way over to the turret controls and wait for the shields to go down - which takes longer than you'd hoped. As soon as they do go down, though, you fire a few shots with the missiles into the hangar, watching the screens - but your calculations are off. While the missiles do a great amount of damage to the science vessel itself, they don't actually manage to kill anyone at all - at least, you think. There is a suspiciously large, red smear against the back wall that you think you might have had a part in, but it's difficult to be sure.

With all of that done, you grab your medkit and rush to the front of the shieldmaiden as fast as you can, almost tripping over your own tentacles along the way in your haste to get by Foreigner, who is poking around in the shieldmaiden's cabinets. After you reach the entrance, you pull out your guns and spray a volley of weapon fire into the cargo bay - but again, it's too far to be sure whether you hit anything. This time, you're much surer you didn't hit anything at all.

And Dinosawer isn't coming. That means you only have one option. You're going to have to go get him yourself.

Hooking your tentacles around the edge of the maiden, you pull yourself back and slingshot your way, as fast as you can, in the general direction of the cargo hold, praying that somehow you'll manage to land fairly close to Dino - and hopefully be able to slow down, too.

Neither of these things happen.

You burst into the cargo bay like a bat out of hell, entering the gravity zone and falling to the floor, your tentacles outstretched as much as possible to absorb the impact. You roll rapidly across the floor for a few moments, tentacle over tentacle, and your superiority to a typical human's form becomes glaringly obvious. Once you've stabilized, you grind your rolling movement to a halt and spring back towards the objective - where you last saw Dinosawer. You don't have to look very far. Zorathex is in the process of retrieving the objective using his magnetic clamps - and Dinosawer is clinging tightly to the beacon, dangling beneath Zora's CASKET as he's pulled up along with the alien ship. You rush over to him as fast as you can and manage to leap over to him, grabbing onto the alien ship as well, just before Zorathex leaves the hangar.

You crawl across the ship to get to Dino, one tentacle over the other, and then get a good look at him - he's missing everything below his torso. Absolutely everything. You look behind you, into the cargo bay, and see Dinosawer's metallic leg, and pelvis, lying in the floor. "Don't worry, Dino," you say quietly, grimly, as you gently pry his fingers off the blinking beacon. "We'll get you fixed up. We're taking you home."

With your comrade cradled carefully in your tentacles, you make a final psi-leap from Zorathex's CASKET to the entrance of the shieldmaiden. Foreigner watches you approach and moves aside in time for you to grapple your way inside. Foreigner looks at Dinosawer's corpse - or what's left of it - in surprise. "He managed to activate the beacon, but he's gone," you say quietly. "Zorathex picked up the objective. We're ready to go."

Foreigner gives a nod and heads back to the controls. You look again at Dinosawer's face - at the expression of intense agony etched there.

"You should've gone full cyborg," you say to him, softly enough that none can hear. "You wouldn't feel such pain."

Clara - Sq. 3:: Trying to nullfield stuff; failing to do much in the way of damage

Fallen - Sq. 5: Damaging the engines

Kalla - Sq. 6: Damaging the engines
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

BOARDING CREW

Dr. Cha0zz - Sq. 1
Cha0zz wrote:((At one of the workers, workers are assumed to be aliens.))
Hey you there idiot! Let Cornwell ((human, Construction lead)) know that I have arrived. Tell him to meet me in clean room C. I'll be wanting a full report on the construction progress.

Head over to clean room C.
Take a look at the shiny new Mass spectrometer that arrived a couple of weeks ago.

Hmpf, at least it doesn't look like those idiots damaged this fine piece of technology.

Wait for Cornwell to arrive.

((Upon arrival of Cornwell))
Ah Cornwell, I wanted to see you. Did the idiots told you that? Hmmm?

If yes: Ah seems like they're not as stupid as I initially thought.
If no: Hah, I wouldn't have expected it from those dumb buffoons to remember that, you know what they were doing? They were trying to put the door in horizontally. A real damn shame that you can't get any decent workers in this quadrant of the Maltof sector.

Anyway, How's the construction going? I'm really starting to lose my patience here, you're already two months over time and I don't even want to think how much you already went over budget.
You know what, You can give show me around so that I can see for myself what progress you've made.

---

If I wake up:

Look around me with a groggy stare.
Then walk back towards the medbay.

Jimmy try to bypass any engine and thruster problems by re-initiating the software, that should recalibrate the remaining engines and truster to compensate for the missing ones.
Once I'm in the medbay, also collect the plasma blaster of the dead m-guy and put it in my bagpack
Then I go back to my ship and enter it, tell jimmy to prepare for takeoff
"Hey you there! Idiot!" you shout at one of the aliens - a zlemoid, from the looks of it. "Let Cornwell know that I have arrived. Tell him to meet me in clean room C. I'll be wanting a full report on the construction progress." The zlemoid nods, and you walk past it down another skywalk, headed to Clean Room C.

When you open the door, sitting there before you is the Mass Spectrometer that arrived a couple of weeks ago. It cost a lot to get it shipped out here, but it was worth it: it's core worlds work. Nobody can beat that level of quality. "Hmph," you mutter. "At least it doesn't look like those idiots damaged this fine piece of technology." You look about the room, making sure everything is as you remember it. A piece of Mimir ship gear is here - it looks like makeshift medical equipment. There's also a quantum orb spinning in the corner, but it's growing dim. It seems to call you towards it. It feels close, but still too far away to traverse. You don't feel like walking the distance... but you feel as though you could look inside. You sense a presence there...

The sliding door behind you opens; Cornwell walks in. You remove your attention from the machinery about you and look at him. "Ah, Cornwell!" you say. "I wanted to see you. Did the idiots tell you that? Hmm?"

The construction lead shakes his smooth face and frowns, seemingly disgruntled. "Indeed they didn't."

"Hah," you laugh mockingly. "I wouldn't have expected it from those dumb buffoons to remember that. You know what they were doing? They were trying to put the door in horizontally. A real damn shame that you can't get any decent workers in this quadrant of the Maltof sector." You say this last pointedly, giving Cornwell a meaningful glare. He should've had the project finished weeks ago. You're behind schedule. A researcher can never afford to be behind schedule. If you're behind schedule, you don't get grants, and if you don't get grants, you can't keep doing research. It's typical that someone like him wouldn't understand this, though.

He notes your veiled insult with a frown and a glare. "It's not my bloody fault, sir," he says quietly, keeping his temper in check. "I can't get jack shit done with these zlemoids. They're good haulers, and strong as heck, but they're just too stupid. We never should've outlawed slavery - all the intelligent workers move on to better jobs or go back to their homeworld, and we're stuck with these rubbish second-class aliens. The only thing that redeems them is that we can pay them less than minimum wage for -"

"I understand all this, Cornwell," you say, interrupting him crossly. "I'm really starting to lose my patience here. You're already two months overtime, and I don't even want to think about how much you already went over budget."

He says nothing, boring through you with a steady stare. He's a large man - far larger than you - but you know he can't lose his temper. If he does, he loses his job, and nobody would ever hire him again. You've always taunted him as you pleased. It feels cathartic, in a way, and you know Cornwell will just take out his anger on the zlemoids later. Nobody gets hurt from it.

Just then, the lights above you flicker and begin to dim - it seems to be growing dark outside too. "Have you installed batteries for the solar panels, Cornwell?" you ask.

The man says nothing. He seems to be distracted.

You hear voices in the distance.

The orb beckons.

Ysavva - Sq. 1
DeusVorpal wrote:"Anyone in the hangar, make sure you're sealed up, the forcefield should be dropping any time! By the way, sounds like the boarbear's about to crash the party here!"

As soon as I see M#7 reaching for a grenade, quickly spray bullets at him with my assault rifle to provide cover fire, then jump through the broken glass panes of the control room. On landing roll to Rikke's body. Throw one of her grenades into the group of M-goons further into the hangar, and the other grenade back into the control room to destroy the control panel.

Grab Rikke's body and run back to the entrance to the hangar and into the hallway, dragging her behind me.

"Blake, get back in here! Time to go!"

Lean into the hangar and use my dropshield as cover to take a shot at one of the remaining M-guys in the hangar with my gauss rifle, then get back into the hallway.
Pick up my dropshield, put it into my pocket, and wave Blake in. Pick up Rikke's body, throw it over my shoulder and run down the hallway until I get to Chaozz's body. Stoop down to grab him by the suit and drag him to the hangar as I keep running.. Drop Rikke and Cha0zz off there. If I run into Kai'isha before I get to the hangar, get her attention to wake Cha0zz up.

"Kai'isha! Can you wake Cha0zz up? I think he's still alive. He needs to fly! Make sure his suit is sealed too!!" Give Kai'isha Marcson's medkit if she doesn't have one.

While Kai'Isha is waking up Cha0zz, run back into the ship to pick up whatever's left of Taepilus. Bring it back to the hangar.

Take my tether out of my ship and use it to secure Taepilus, then use all the extra length to wrap and tie both Rikke and Taepilus's bodies securely to the front of my ship. If Cha0zz is still unconscious put him into the cockpit of his GREASE. Buckle him in and tell Jimmy
"Hey Jimmy, Cha0zz is out of it right now. Go take cover around the Shieldmaiden until everyone's ready to leave, then get Cha0zz out of here!"

Once everything's secure, get into my ship and take off. If there's still activity in the rear hangar, wait there until everyone is ready to leave and the pickup vessel arrives. If any Mimir reinforcements have arrived by now, dodge them and try to lose them in the features of the SV.
As he reaches for a grenade, you reach out, emptying what rounds you have left from your assault rifle to try to provide cover fire. He doesn't seem very put off by it at all, only stepping back into cover and waiting for the spray to ebb. As soon as your weapon clicks from an empty magazine, he steps back out, ready to unpin and throw his grenade - but you don't give him a chance. It would take too long for you to switch weapons at this point, so you simply fling your assault rifle at him with all the strength you can muster. It hits him squarely in the center of his helmet, sending small cracks across his visor - he stumbles back, seemingly surprised. You take advantage of his confusion and leap through the glass, shattering what's left of it, and landing atop Rikke's bullet-ridden corpse. You crouch down low, and seconds later a flash illuminates the control room - your adversary's grenade blows up where you stood only moments before. Then, suddenly, a huge, furry hand grabs him around the chest and lifts him off the floor - it's your old pal, the boarbear - it rips the man in half, bisecting him, flinging the severed parts across the room with a roar of wrath.

As quickly as you can, you unhook Rikke's two remaining grenades from her belt - but as you do, a huge explosion on your right, caused by a series of plasma bombs, knocks the tower of crates off in your direction. You fling your arm up reflexively to shield yourself. A heavy crate smacks into your outstretched arm, and your elbow crumbles under the sudden trauma with an audible crack. The pain is astounding - you hadn't considered that you might end up breaking a bone, even despite the heavy armor - your arm is useless.

But though your right arm may be useless, the rest of you is still far from it. With a notch on your belt, you pull a grenade from its pin, hold it for a moment, and fling it with your left arm in the direction of the enemies. When it explodes, it destroys a nearby dropshield, and its owner tumbles backwards, stunned. Another soldier, standing closer to the blast, gets completely shredded, and gore splatters across the wall behind him. A soldier behind him shoots several plasma bolts in your direction, but they miss - you're lucky they didn't hit. The second grenade you lob into the control room, and it lands right in front of the control panel in the corner - and explodes. Airshields spring up along the back wall - and then the force fields fall.

With a brief rush of wind, the air evacuates the cargo bay - the huge fire at the back of the hangar gets sucked away to nothingness. You stumble slightly, but overall, you're fine. You glance across the room at Dinosawer - he's in horrible shape. His legs are gone - he's just a torso with arms, and he's dragging himself across the floor. Aegagrus is on the floor nearby, clearly dead. Above them, beyond the science vessel's engines, your allies aboard the Shieldmaiden fire a spray of shots towards the remaining enemies in the hangar. While you're distracted, a few Mimir plasma rounds hit the front of your armor, right where the plasma streamers damaged it before. Alarms in your suit start sounding - your air pressure is beginning to drop, albeit very slowly. This fuels your decision for a hasty retreat. Grabbing Rikke's leg, you start dragging her, step by step, towards the entrance.

After you're through the shield, you turn around, reload your Gauss rifle (which is harder than it sounds, only having one arm) and fire one last parting shot towards the Mimir troops, but with your broken arm, your aim is off, and you just end up hitting the back wall. The boarbear roars silently as it guts another Mimir soldier, but the boarbear is quickly losing consciousness. As you watch, you realize that you can empathize with it: you were a lonely, friendless girl, fighting to survive. You grew up much the same way, never daring to trust those around you lest they stab you in the back. You couldn't do much, but at what you could do - killing - you excelled. In a way... the boarbear isn't so different. You feel a stab of pity for the creature, brief though it may be.

But then, just like that, the warmth is gone, almost as soon as it arrived. Your heart hardened, you pick up your dropshield, turn away, and leave the boarbear to its death. The lights behind you flicker as you grab Rikke's foot, dragging her behind you down the hallway, leaving a trail of bloodied footprints in your wake. "Blake, time to go!" you shout, biting back the pain of your arm and keeping it out of your voice. You pass by Tonon and Chari, who stand motionless in the doorway, continuing alone.

Around the corner, you come across Kai'isha, Aliss, and Taniya, all clustered around Dr. Cha0zz's unconscious form. "Kai'isha, can you wake Cha0zz up?" you ask. "I think he's still alive. He needs to fly! Make sure his suit is sealed too!!"

She looks up at you, away from Taniya's leg, which she seems to be patching. "I already did," she says quietly, ignoring the urgency in your voice - or perhaps trying to quiet you down. "I'm trying to fix Taniya's leg now. If Dr. Cha0zz doesn't wake up, Aliss is going to carry him out." She glances at your arm, your suit - notices the charred marks and scars of combat. "Are you all right?" she queries cautiously.

"Not the first time, not the last, and I've had worse," you say, sizing up the situation. There's no way you can carry both Dr. Cha0zz and Rikke - you're not sure you could even lift Rikke over your shoulder with your arm broken as it is. You decide to hurry up and take Rikke's corpse to your ship - and then you intend to go get Taepilus.

~~~

Sometime later, you're at your ship once more, binding the bodies of Rikke and Taepilus to the front with your severed tether. Finding Taepilus wasn't difficult - he was lying in one of the western hallways, dead with a series of wounds through his chest and a severed foot. To his credit, he managed to take down one of his Mimir foes as he fell - but it wasn't enough to keep them from gunning him down. He certainly doesn't lack bravery, but he could use a little wisdom. He might make a good teammate in the future.

With both your teammates fastened to the front of your CASKET like hood ornaments, you admire your handiwork. It's a patchwork job. Taepilus is hanging a little loosely, and it looks as though Rikke will probably end up falling off if you fly too fast - or possibly on her own even, if you're unlucky - but they should hold for now. You carefully climb into your ship and go through the appropriate startup sequences - buckling, closing the canopy, and taking off. You leave the science vessel behind you, flying past the shieldmaiden into space.

Hema - Sq. 2
Hema wrote:"Good to hear from you too, Dinosawer."
"Taniya, see what you can do to help out. I'm not sure what condition everyone's in."
Run to get within throwing range of mimir 8, 2 and 3, and lob my frag grenade at them. After that, grab the sword Dino threw to me, and run up to the orb room (as shown on the map) and scan the orb. If I have time, go over and touch it, and try to get a picture of the wiring.
"Seems you guys left an artifact, I'll see if I can get it after helping.
"Taniya, see what you can do to help out," you order, getting unsteadily to your feet and starting towards the cargo bay. "I'm not sure what condition everyone's in."

When you arrive, what you see is horrific. Rikke's body lies a few meters to your left; Ysavva jumps through a window and lands on top of it just as a grenade explodes behind her. Beyond her are a whole cluster of enemies - and to the right of that, a huge fire. In the middle of the bay, Dinosawer is crawling towards a Mimir corpse, barely avoiding Mimir fire - plasma streams arch past him, tracing ribbons across the floor.

You pull out a grenade - a proximity grenade - and throw it as far as you can, watching it clatter and bounce across the hangar until it stops near the group of enemies. You rather hope it'll explode near them and do some damage - but you don't have time to watch. You look over at Dinosawer - he's cutting up some corpse with your electron sword - and you'd like to get moving. You wave at him - he waves back, shuts off the sword, and tosses it in your direction. It's a pretty bad throw, though it could've been worse - you have to run a few meters into the room in order to catch it, and almost get blown up in the process, as a string of plasma bombs explode in a line across the floor. One of them hits the stack of crates next to Ysavva, crashing into her - she shrieks as her elbow snaps backwards into an odd position, broken.

You get out of there as quickly as you can. Surely they'll be able to handle it on their own. They're not your squad, after all. "Seems you guys left an artifact," you say, trying to justify your actions. "I'll see if I can get it."

~~~

The room with the artifact is drab, but pulses with an energy you can't quite describe. It's not... arcane... it's more ethereal - it's not of this world. A globe atop a pedestal shines from within, a light emanating from a lifeless void, twisting and turning - bright bands of purple streak their way about the surface of this alien orb, and you feel pulled towards it. As you approach more cautiously, you remove your PDA from the pouch on your hip and try to do a deep scan of the area. The PDA chirps as you input the settings - as you cross over the black-and-yellow warning line - and shows a detailed scan. Your PDA labels different parts of the floor - things beneath the floor - the power source and electronics that Mimir has set up. It's a good scan. Tartarus will be pleased.

You turn your attention back to the orb, ever so briefly. It shifts and reforms, twisting like a storm over an endless abyss. It beckons you closer. Unable to resist, you obey. Your hand stretches out to touch it, as though moved by a life of its own... Your hand enters the void and disappears, warped about by unimaginable forces as it traverses the boundaries between planes. You feel nothing. Tiny rivulets of darkness pour up the arms of your suit, seeming almost to soak through it - you're unable to move - you watch in a mixture of terror and fascination as the room about you spins and darkens -

- and leaves you with a mental image of an ancient gold-and-purple city. It feels like you've seen it before......

...Somewhere.......

...But before you can be sure, everything fades to black.

~~~

You awaken sometime later - you're not sure how much time has passed. It could be days, for all you know, or perhaps merely seconds. Your head throbs with a strange pain - it seems heavier than you remember, as though you are fatigued - but as you lift your hands towards your head you notice the orb. It no longer glows the same purple it did, but is now tinged with hints of yellow and orange. Your hands are the same - they have a slight hint of some orange, glowing residue - as though you can see things in a new color. As you process it, it feels less like light - less like glows - less like colors - it feels as though you have an entire new sense - a sixth sense, though the cliche makes you smirk with disbelief the moment it enters your mind. Regardless of how it feels, this much you sure of: you're no longer fully human.

Unit 4965 - Sq. 2
Idunno wrote:Obey Hema's orders. Fix everyone that needs fixing. If no one needs fixing, start collecting everything that doesn't belong to Tartarus including corpses. :twisted:

Do the above, in that order, when no instructions are given.

And put Andrew's leg back together. He'll need that. :shifty:

((There. Now if I disappear again, Unit 4965 will have you covered.)) :ghost:
You get to your feet, listening for orders. Hema gives none. In fact, he seems completely preoccupied with something else. That's a relief. You thought you might actually have to do something useful for a change. Wouldn't that be a drag, right?

For now, you push the door in front of you open and re-enter the laboratory. The lights in here flicker strangely - but it's quiet now. There are no more Mimir troops trying to kill you or your allies.

That just means everything is more ripe for the picking, of course. If you weren't a robot, you might be grinning wildly with delight, but as it is, activity almost overloads your pleasure circuits. You start looking around the room and soon find plenty of things to steal from Mimir - notebooks, metal containers, and a stack of towels - you take these last off a shelf and hurriedly stick them in your backpack. No doubt Tartarus will pay you handsomely for them. Then you go back across the room and empty a couple more tables into your rapidly-filling backpack - envelopes, steno pads, note boards, stoppered flasks - and then across the room again! You find a nice-looking Mimir weapon - something big and heavy - that you think you might later try to fit onto your body. This goes into your backpack as well, until you realize it won't fit... which pleases you even more. Ah, what a fine supermechanoid you'll make with one of these mounted on your massive arms. You stow it proudly behind your back and look about the room.

They really made a mess of this place, now that you look at it. Half the tables are smashed or wrecked. A couple near the back of the room are shattered into fragments. What the hell did they even do??

Regardless, you now have what you wanted - a backpack full to overflowing with loot. Granted, perhaps not all of it is exactly what you may have originally wanted, but it's loot nonetheless. Tartarus should be pleased.

You head back into the hallway, and, now in a much better mood, start putting Andrew's severed leg back together. It looks like he wanted to leave it behind, but you'll at least do him the courtesy of making sure he leaves it behind in one piece.

Getting out your surgical tools, you get to work.

Aegagrus - Sq. 2
Silverware wrote:
REKT wrote:You sit in a cage, the bars composed primarily of sticks of dynamite, beneath the distorted shapes of floating earth in the bright blue, clouded sky far above. Timid, puny humans leap from boulder to boulder in this world, which seems completely familiar. Their presence infuriates you in a way that feels rather calming and comfortable. You smell something nice; over to your left, there's a fleshbag roasting on a stick above an eternally burning napalm grenade spill. He looks like Morgan Freeman. It's a pity he's dead - he did have a rather wonderful voice - quite possibly the best meatbag voice there was.

A large, circular face looms up before you - many dozens of times larger than any of the little clumps of earth that the humans are jumping across on. It has large eyes with small, intensely dark pupils, slick black hair that looks almost like a glossy plastic, a gleeful/sinister grin, and a large red nose. "Hello, Aegagrus," it says, its mouth moving in heavy exaggeration as it pronounces each syllable. "It is nice to see you again. You have not forgotten me, have you?" You think you recognize him, but who it is, only you can say - it feels as though he's always existed. You decline to answer, only looking around you. There's a flamethrower and a grapple sitting just outside your cage. "You can have that, you know," the face says. You can't decide whether it's mocking you or encouraging you.
The goat looks back at the face of the Goatman of the Apocalypse, peering deep into it's soulless eyes.
The utters, in a tongue long forgotten to man, goat, and god alike, "You're late."
The goat flicks his eyes down to an ornate silver chess set, "And it's your move."
The goat motions at the pieces, tiny humans, some dressed as Mimir, some as REKT forces, a single goat in the center.

The goat contemplates for a moment, then says one last word. "Check."
It is the Goatman of the Apocalypse - the Great Horned One - the One whose hatred of humanity will bring about the end of Civilization. You peer deep into his soulless eyes, and he peers back to yours - but his gaze wavers momentarily, as though he understands that you are beyond his immortal ken. He knows that you are Goat, but he also knows that there is more about you than can be known by god or man. You try to utter something in his ancient tongue, but fail miserably. His expression of unease changes quickly to one of amusement. "Foolish Goat," he cackles. "You attempt to speak the language of the Old Ones? You know less than I expected of you."

"I merely did not deem studying it worth my time," you say calmly, flicking your eyes down at the ornate silver chess set that sits inside your cell - but rather than knights and kings, they are REKT, Mimir, and a sole goat that sits in the center. You move this piece further, advancing it towards the enemy. "It's your move," you tell him. "Check."

The Goatman of the Apocalypse smiles broadly, his fat, red lips nearly splitting his wide face in two as his tiny pupils flicker down to your table. "My move indeed," he laughs, and you begin to feel somewhat worried. As he glares at the board, the pieces begin to move - a former REKT piece resurrects itself - Hotel-bag - and puts itself in the way of REKT's destruction.

You acknowledge his move with a nod. "Wisely chosen." Then, as you reach towards the board, The Goatman's fiendish face leaps into animation once more.

"Ah-ah-ah!" he says. "It is still my turn."

You stare at him quizzically, and then in disbelief as you watch the pieces move. One of the Mimir pawns moves forward, taking out the goat in the center of the board. "You can't move my piece!" you call out in angry protest.

The Goatman smiles cruelly. "Oh, but I can. Perhaps you did not study the Old Ones as closely as you should have, Goat."

"I am not defeated," you whisper, torn between admiration and seething hatred. "I will come again. Our game has not yet ended."

"For now, it has," The Goatman utters solemnly, as the world folds in upon itself, sucking you into the dark and depthless Void.

You will come back. There is no other path. The game is not yet ended. But for now... you shall sleep.

You are dead.

Blake - Sq. 1
Black--Snow wrote:When the shield maiden arrives at the hangar, initiate the shield offline countdown and attempt to short circuit the control panel ((Covering all my bases))
In the meanwhile, pew pew people with my weapons and try to stay alive. If that dude who almost killed me last time turns up, prioritize him.
Prioritize targets that will help keep my allies and myself alive, assist any nearby allies if I can (Using any of my other skills that I'm fairly competent in (Handiwork and such))

Once the Maiden arrives and the shield is down (If there are no unoccupied hostiles or hostiles that otherwise post a threat to Blake), board the Maiden. If the Maiden is next to the side hangar at any point, leave and enter my CASKET, taking off and moving a small distance from the fighting.
Else run to my CASKET, take off and move away from the fighting.
Keep weapons ready and eyes sharp for any possible hostiles.
You watch, waiting for the Shieldmaiden to arrive at the cargo bay. It doesn't take long - it's only a handful of seconds before it pulls up - at a much greater distance than you'd expected. It seems the maiden can't fit between the engines... but for now, you hit the button on your PDA to initiate the countdown on the shields. Then you try to use the PDA to hack further in, creating a short circuit to shut the thing down - but the defenses are too tight, and you've already been detected. Your changes will stay, but you've lost the ability to drop the shields yourself. You have a feeling that this could drastically alter the course of events.

Ysavva, ahead of you, leaps through what's left of the glass window and starts trying to throw grenades. You aim in the direction of the attacking Mimir troops start trying to provide cover fire with your pistols - but you've emptied both of them, and forgotten to reload. You reload as quickly as you can, but it's too late - a blast near Ysavva flings some heavy metal crates in her direction, twisting her arm and breaking it. She screams with pain, and by the time you're firing pistols into the enemies, it's almost too late. She helps with a grenade, taking out at least one of the enemies - you manage to put a few bullets into another, just as the Boarbear rips its way out of the back room, shredding the nearest merc in half. Ysavva lobs a second grenade into the control room, and the shield goes down.

You don't wait to see any more. With all the enemies distracted, you make a break for the hangar's edge, running as fast as you can past Ysavva, and Dinosawer - who seems to be in really bad shape. On reaching the edge, you make a mighty, blind leap out into space, praying you'll make it to the maiden - which now looks so very far away.

And you drift.

Actually, you're drifting for a good while. During this time, Squidhead flies past you on foot, headed for the hangar, and Zorathex does the same in his CASKET. Well before you reach your destination, it becomes painfully obvious that you're not going to land anywhere near the entrance. The maiden's surface approaches - larger, and faster, until it fills your field of view - and you smack hard upon the side with a jolt that knocks the wind out of you and nearly breaks your spine. In a great deal of pain, you're only just able to remember to get your magsoles firmly planted on the maiden's hull, and pause for a moment to catch your breath. Then, when you feel like moving again, you cautiously crawl up to the top of the maiden, next to one of the turrets.

Eventually, Squidhead returns with Dino's corpse (unless your eyes deceive you, his legs are completely gone), and Foreigner starts the shieldmaiden moving again, around towards the side hangar. After the maiden has stopped all motion relative to the science vessel, you take a deep breath, and then make a much more careful leap towards your CASKET, parked atop the hull. This time, at least, your aim is better... but you realize that it's just by chance. You'd meant to do a slightly stronger jump. You could probably use some practice.

After you're safely in your ship again, canopy closed, tether reeled in, everything in working order, you take off. You maneuver your CASKET carefully a ways away from the rest of the fighting, watching cautiously for enemies.

Dinosawer - Sq. 4
Dinosawer wrote:"Tonon, Doc, Aliss and whoever else is still inside the science vessel, we really could use some back-up here...

Kai'isha, it seems the Doctor is...asleep? Eh? Can you give him anti-shock meds from your medkit? He might not be the nicest, but I'm not planning on leaving anyone behind. After that you can patch up people and help them to their ship if needed. And if you think it's safe, maybe you can try to recover Taepilus? Aliss, can you help her with that? You can put his head in one of our cargo pods. "

First, I'll crawl towards exosuitguy and cut of the interesting / weapony parts of his suit with the electron sword and stuff them in my backpack.
Then I'll throw Hema's sword (turned off) back towards the door of the hallway.
Then I crawl back to the objective, and I'll take my crossbow out of my backpack, and if the plasma streamer is kaput from those blasts my electrorifle too.

Then, staying in cover, I'll fire my weapons (explosive bolt for the crossbow, then plasma streamer/plasma rifle, then plasma rifle/electrorifle) at the mimir goons (prefer those threatening friendlies) and hope they don't want to shoot me for risk of hitting whatever this thing is I'm sitting behind.

When the shieldmaiden is arrived and the shield is down:
First, I take the beacon from my hip and enable it with the switch on the bottom, grip the upper and lower halves firmly, and turn in one-half rotation (180 degrees). Then I peel off the chemical strip on one side which I will now be able to get to, and quickly press it against the objective so it welds itself on.
(( :ghost: ))
Then I limp towards the end of the hangar, scoop up the plasma bomb launcher near Aegagrus on the way and jump from the edge to the shieldmaiden, using crossbow+cable reel to get in if needed, and let Squidhead fix my suit and leg. While in a vacuum/lowered pressure, use hands to try and keep air in my suit.
Hidden behind the mysterious craft, you call out orders to different people. Aliss acknowledges and says she's on her way, but it could take her some time getting there - and she may need to stop to check on some other people. Kai'isha says she'll help wake Dr. Cha0zz back up, but sounds somewhat unhappy about it. You're just happy things are getting done. You need to get things done, too.

Careful not to bump your leg, you start crawling your way back to Exosuit, Hema's electron sword at the ready. You're only managed a couple meters before you have to stop short as a plasma stream arcs wildly in your direction from Mr. Dropshield - droplets of the plasma splash and splatter onto your suit, burning tiny holes, but you're all right, and continue onwards, utilizing what fallen debris you can as cover while plasma bombs explode left and right. It's an intense journey, but you finally reach Exosuit.

After a few slow, steady slices, you've removed his plasma gauntlet, severing it from his body (and the rest of the suit) - but you're hardly out of the woods. You're sitting out in the open - there's no cover anywhere nearby - and the Mimir soldiers seem hell-bent on destroying you. A grenade explodes behind you, nearly shattering your eardrums, and certainly shattering your hopes that they'll be careful about firing around the objective. You place the gauntlet (and severed hand) into your backpack and fasten it back.

"Dinosawer! Over here!" you hear someone shout - it's Hema, standing over at the doorway, all the way across the room. He's standing behind Ysavva's dropshield and holding out his hands for you to toss his electron sword back to him. You glance down at the weapon in your hand - Hema's electron sword. It's served you well so far - you've gotten two kills from it, and could've had more if you could've gotten to the boarbear. Maybe there's something to this sword business after all... but that'll have to wait for next mission. You flip the switch to shut it off, get up on your left knee, and throw the sword as hard as you can in Hema's direction. It's not your best throw - it actually misses Hema by a couple meters, but he's fairly quick, and manages to catch it before he hits the ground. You watch him as he leaves, thinking about your next move. You'll need to get back to cover, fire a few shots, and activate the beacon - hopefully before the shields go down.

Over at the other side of the hangar, past the left side of the civilian ship in the center, Ysavva is crouched above Rikke's corpse, trying to toss a couple grenades at incoming enemies. On the right side, you see your old friend, the boarbear, again - it seems to have ripped its way through a door (and probably a wall somewhere) and is in the process of bisecting a Mimir soldier, whose day is clearly not going well. Then again, yours isn't either, and it only gets worse from there.

You've hardly crawled the first meter back to the alien craft before a nearby explosion shakes the air as a plasma bomb explodes directly behind you, and a plasma stream cuts straight in your direction. You soon find yourself screaming, recoiling from an intense agony that sears across your midsection. You realize you can't feel your legs - you can't move your legs. Your eyes wide, every breath a torture, you turn around and almost panic from what you see. Your mind can hardly process it - your right leg mangled beyond recognition, bisected at the waist and your suit on fire. You're starting to feel faint... but with a heroic determination, you manage to hold on, just a little longer.

One hand in front of the other, you drag yourself forward, gasping for breath against the agony shredding its way through your torso, leaving a bloody smear behind you. Another set of plasma bombs explode to your right, and the crazed roars of the boarbear echo in your ears, but you can hardly acknowledge their existence. Mere words cannot describe the utter torment that afflicts you - you've delved into a deeper level of anguish than you could ever have dreamed. When you finally reach the objective, the bright blue of the force field to your right disappears - the raging fires ahead of you snuff themselves out - and all goes silent.

This is it. The entire mission has culminated in this moment, and only you can ensure its success. With an unsteady hand, you reach to your waist and fumble for the beacon, struggling with the clasp. Miraculously, you're able to get it free, and your weak and trembling fingers flip the switch - you lay on your side, clasping it with both hands, and force it to rotate 180 degrees - and then peel off the adhesive strip. As your vision fades, you press the red-hot, glowing end of the accursed cylinder against the alien metal. Your vision fades - the last thing you see, before all goes dark, is the sizzling, softly bubbling metal of the alien craft, your hand still wrapped tightly around the cylinder. The agony you feel gently ceases - death itself is peaceful. You willingly accept its embrace as the darkness takes you, a bisected soldier in the middle of a war-torn hangar, in a desolate system, at the edge of the galaxy... alone but for the knowledge that you accomplished your objective.

"Are you happy now, Tartarus?" you whisper with the last of your strength, and all goes black.

You are dead.

Tonon - Sq. 4
Slymodi wrote:ask Chair"Hey Chari, did SCAMPS have anything interesting to say?" Listen, and then go to the front and shoot mimir 7 and have Chari shoot mimir 2

~Tonon
In case you missed it
Slymodi wrote:Find Chari and help her send her signal back to HQ
She's standing right outside the shaft; she comes back to you when you call her name, through the open elevator door. You recalibrate her comms so they match up with the rest of Platoon 56.

"Is this HADES?" she asks, somewhat tentatively, as she holds her commpiece to her ear.

It's definitely not. "...are you serious? You're serious, aren't you... What do you think, dipshit? Like we'd really give inmates access to HADES. Wow, you're just as moronic as the rest of the people I deal with."

Chari's expression falls visibly; you can see her by the dim glow from her suit's collar. "You're SCAMPS." It's a statement of disappointment.

"And I'm the best you're going to get," he affirms. "You're under my jurisdiction now. You're short on time; you only have a few minutes left before the Mimir reinforcements arrive, so hurry up and spit it out."

For a moment, she seems like she's pondering whether to give a scathing response, but then decides to simply act professionally. "I successfully seeded the Mimir mercs with the idea to try to commandeer the carrier," she says. "A little more than half of them thought it was a good idea. There was some fighting between the Mimir employees and the mercs, but the mercs prevailed against the guards. They have better training, better gear, and they're more ruthless. The guards surrendered after a few deaths. It wasn't much of a fight."

"I didn't expect it would be," SCAMPS mutters. "Pity. Could've used culling more of you dipshit humans. You're lucky I sent people after you, or you'd be stranded. You're not as smart as you'd like to pretend. Get the fukc out of there and get home."

"I'm one person," Chari starts to protest, but then she pauses; her expression fades to one of irritation, and she looks at you with a disappointed shrug as she explains, "He closed comms."
"Come on, Chari," you say. "Let's get to the cargo bay - I hear there are people we can kill over there."

She hesitates for a moment, but ultimately follows along behind as you run down the long hallways that wind their way through the bottom deck of the science vessel. Along the way, you pass Dr. Cha0zz, lying in the floor unconscious, and just around the corner is that last long hallway on the way to the bay.

When you arrive, Hema is leaving the door, headed back inside - he passes by you and gives you a slight wave. He's no use to you at the moment, nor is he likely to be, you feel - you ignore him for now and hurry on to the doorway.

The whole place is a mess. Before you even reach the door, you find a huge hole carved into one of the walls, complete with wrecked wiring, broken glass, grenade scars and long gashes melted into the floor. What you find upon reaching the door is even more chaotic: a bloody, grisly scene with burning debris, blood, chopped up bodies, and the telltale scorch marks of a major battle. Far to the left of the doorway, inside the bay, you can see a huge monster - some kind of furry bear-like creature with enormous jaws - ripping apart Mimir soldiers. Dinosawer is at the far side of the hangar, and he's not much more than a torso - Aegagrus lays on the floor beside him, apparently dead. An explosion, just a few meters away, hits Ysavva, and a stack of collapsing crates seems to break her arm.

"Chari, fire at some of these Mimir fools!" you shout out, taking aim with your semiauto pistol and firing a few shots that wing a Mimir soldier. After aiming a little better, you manage to hit one in the leg. The beastly creature in the back soon picks him up bodily and bites an enormous chunk out of his rib cage before discarding what's left of his corpse.

A grenade explodes to your left; in answer, the force fields about the hangar disappear. The fires fade, and various members of the rest of your REKT platoon rush in, as Ysavva limps past you, dragging Rikke's corpse. You see Squidhead pick up Dino, and Zorathex in his CASKET rush in and secure the objective: some kind of dark alien craft.

The cargo bay quietens, nothing left but ashes and debris... it reeks of death.

It reminds you of your past. No one will ever believe you, but you know what you saw. You know what you did. And this - the burnt and scarred battlefield with corpses strewn about at random... it reminds you of that scene. Perhaps you killed a planet, and perhaps you didn't... but no amount of time will remove those images that seared their way into your mind.

Andrew - Sq. 5
cuisinart8 wrote:"Thanks for the assist, Kai'isha, I'd be in real trouble if not for your help.

Kalla, I'm heading back to space, since I don't need both legs to fly. Any orders?"

Follow Kalla's orders. Fire on an incoming Mimir fighter with the electrolaser to try and disable it. Evade incoming fire and try not to get shot up even worse.
"Kalla, I'm heading back to space, since I don't need both legs to fly," you call out over the comms as you climb into your cockpit and seal the canopy. "Any orders?"

"Get out of there and clear the hangar," she radios back. "Your electrolaser won't do much, but with that fleet incoming, we'll need everything we have if the warpships don't arrive in time. If you can help other people evacuate, do it, but don't engage the enemy unless we're all together. Mimir's reinforcements should be showing up any minute now... If you have time, try to shoot up the engines."

You look around at the horizon, but there aren't any Mimir ships in sight. Perhaps they're well off in the clouds... but you don't see anything yet. With nobody to shoot, you follow Kalla's orders, shooting a nice, long beam from your electrolaser into the Science Vessel's engines - and it seems to do a decent amount of damage. Hopefully it'll help keep it immobile for just a little longer...

Taniya - Sq. 2: Following Kai'isha back to Cha0zz and making Kai'isha patch up her suit.

Kai'isha - Sq. 4: Walking back to Dr. Cha0zz, administering some shock meds, and then helping patch up Taniya.

Aliss - Sq. 6: Walking back to Cha0zz to make sure everyone's going to get out all right

Right, that's it! The beacon's active. Get the beacon somewhere safe and keep it motionless for fukc's sake! We need a stable target for our warpships to home in on. I'm sending them in now, should be there in less than five minutes. Protect that beacon if you know what's good for you! I have... 35 enemy signatures, closing in from the west-designated side of the area. If you're not smart enough to stay out of their way, you didn't deserve to come home anyway.
Last edited by Talvieno on Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: fixed a mistake in ysavva's portion

OH SHIT!

Ok, all squads, extraction is within 5 minutes. We are setting L6 as an extraction point - I repeat, L6. Get there at once! Oh, and maybe grab whatever you can from wrecked CASKETs and HAMMERs as you pass by?

Squidhead, we need additional power to the shields. Are all docked ships connected to the shield generators? We'll have to put a shield around all of us when we are near the L6.

BFett, we are getting everyone out. Please, get into position to protect the objective, and hack any enemy that comes within your hacking range to delay or confuse them!

Zorathex, get the objective to L6. Clara, get to the extraction point, too. Recharge your null-field, we'll need it. Hack an enemy if he's within range.

Boarding team, get to the side hangar immediately! Those without ships - use ships of the fallen comrades. Don't leave anybody behind! Get the bodies into cargo pods or into the Shieldmaiden!

Kai'isha, help the wounded, get into your ship, and get it to extraction point!

Aliss, bodies into the Maiden, and off to the extraction point you go.

Francis, I have a game for you. There's a spinning CASKET - if you dock to it and bring it to Tartarus, you'll get some bonus points and a credit!

Fawkes, get the shield generator that Zorathex left floating somewhere next to the side hangar, and get to L6.

SCAMPS, we plan to wait for extraction in the zone that's marked as L6 on the map. Pass that to the extraction team, please - hope it'll allow them to get a fix on us quicker. Is it possible to extract us while we are shielded by the Maiden?

Get the Maiden closer to the side hangar, wait for the bodies and people to be loaded into the ship. Afterwards, fly towards L6 with everybody else.
Last edited by outlander on Sat Apr 16, 2016 10:22 am, edited 8 times in total.
Survivor of the Josh Parnell Blackout of 2015.

Bring the leg along, find someone to fix, check to see if Unit 4695 still has the notebooks, and look around for Hema. And start looking for a way out. :twisted:

((This mission just went haywire. :ghost: ))
Image The results of logic, of natural progression? Boring! An expected result? Dull! An obvious next step? Pfui! Where is the fun in that? A dream may soothe, but our nightmares make us run!

Online Now