Return to “REKT”

Re: REKT: VR Combat Simulator

UPDATE FOR VR

((TRIGGERHAPPY HAS INITIATIVE FOR THIS TURN))

BFett
Spoiler:      SHOW
BFett wrote:Turn 5

Shoot trigger with particle gun if I see him. Examine room for structural weaknesses. Shoot ceiling above where trigger is supposed to be with Neutron Gun.

If ceiling begins collapsing move casket into a safe spot using thrusters (leave tunnel if entire ceiling appears like it is going to cave in on itself).

If ceiling doesn't present a risk to my casket or character open the cockpit of the casket, taking my assault rifle, and run to the nearest cover available. Use assault rifle to shoot Trigger if I see him while I'm running or in cover.

Keep an eye on my casket to see if Trigger approaches it.
You watch for a moment, and before long, see Triggerhappy poke his head out from behind cover - at a corner far across the way to the right side of the big central room. Immediately you take aim and fire with your particle cannon, but you don't really seem to hit. As the dust settles back, you try to look around for some way to cave the ceiling in on top of him. It's difficult to predict, but as you scope your lights across the area, you see a column that looks particularly weak, with cracks in the ceiling going out all around it. You decide that this is probably going to be your best chance at winning this match immediately, once and for all. The fool should've backed down when he saw it was you. You're going to teach him a lesson.

Right then, a hail of bullets begins to ping across the surface of your CASKET - and a few even crack into the canopy. They barely even leave marks. Infantry weapons are pathetic. This is why you always focused on ship combat.

Without giving him a chance to make any more attempts, you fire up your neutron beam projector and let loose with a mighty, SCREEEEEEEEECHing blast. The bright-white beam streams forth as mightily as it always has, ripping a gash into the ceiling as multiple tonnes of concrete fall to the floor in a cloud of dust and hail of rocks. As it continues to run itself down, you twist slightly to the left and take out the column you'd noticed - but the beam runs out just before you get there and falls silent.

Without waiting any longer, you hit the button to open the canopy and leap out with your gear, sliding down the side of the hovering CASKET and falling to the floor as bullets fly past your head. You think you see Triggerhappy over through the dust and fire a ton of shots off at him as you run with your assault rifle - you hear the cling of bullet against metal, but the simulation hasn't ended. Trigger must still be alive.

And alive he is indeed - with a sharp explosion, your CASKET's cockpit goes up in flames as a napalm grenade explodes upon your seat. The roar of the blaze drowns out the sound of Trigger's footsteps, and you, blind and in the dark, take cover in the closest shelter you can find. It looks rather like some kind of old security booth - it won't provide too much cover, but it'll be enough for now. The dust is still settling - you'll have some degree of cover just from that. You crouch down in the shadows and begin to plan your next move.

Triggerhappy
Triggerhappy wrote:Quickly pop out of cover and take a look at what's going on with BFett and his ship. If possible, take a shot at his cockpit with my rifle and pistol (one each), trying to break through the glass. If I succeed, throw a grenade into his cockpit and retreat back behind cover.
You jog forwards to the end of the next corner and lean out from behind corner, your riot shield in front of you. As soon as you stick your head out, a whirring, hissing sound fills your ears as BFett sweeps his particle gun in your direction. In the space of a second, you see dust fly up from the floor to your right and feel your riot shield vibrate loudly in front of you, pinging as BFett's shots flick their way across its surface. He's somewhere up ahead of you - in a tunnel, you think - no, on the stairs leading to the surface - or is he? It's difficult to tell in the dark from this distance, and the available light is playing tricks on you.

You put your riot shield behind your back and hurriedly get out your assault rifle, firing a spray of bullets in BFett's direction - or as close as you can guess to where he probably is. You hear your bullets crack against stone - and then they ping across the hard metal surface of BFett's CASKET - but you don't think it's done any damage - especially when a blinding beam of light suddenly erupts from that direction - the brightest you've ever seen. Temporarily blinded, you struggle to make out what's going on as his neutron beam projector's scream of incredible power drowns out everything else. The ceiling above you rumbles - the floor shakes as huge chunks of the ceiling tear themselves away, falling towards you - you leap out of the way as the concrete above you collapses and barely make it out of the way in time. As the ceiling continues to fall and rumble, dust fills the air - BFett's CASKET lights cut out bright beams through the murky veil. You aim slightly above their points of origin and fire a few shots from your pistol - and are somewhat surprised to find that you haven't hit anything at all. If the trajectory is right, you should've gone straight through his cockpit - you figure you probably busted his canopy.

As quickly as you can, you put your pistol away again. The pillar behind you cracks with the splintering of bullet - a hail of them cracks against the floor and a couple of them hit your suit - but ping away from your heavy armor. You pull out a random grenade, and fling it in a high arc towards BFett's cockpit. A gratifying explosion of liquid fire answers your call, illuminating BFett's ship and the area around it with a blazing, flickering glow. Looks like you grabbed one of your napalm grenades - but the simulation isn't ending, and you don't hear BFett's screams. You must've missed him.

As the last few pebbles and chunks of rock fall from the ceiling, leaving trails of dust in their wake, you move to the nearest pillar and take cover behind it.
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Update for Tartarus

BFett
BFett wrote:Turn 6

BFett shuts off any lights on his suit which might give away his position. He then pears into the dark before ducking back into cover. If he senses anything or has any bad feelings he acts on them immediately.

IF BFett moves out of his cover and sees Trigger he shoots his laser pistol at him.

IF BFett remains in cover he looks for a piece of broken concrete or a rock that is roughly the size of a grenade and throws it at the location he last saw Trigger. If Trigger dodges the rock look at where he goes and then arm and throw one frag grenade in such a way that it lands 6 inches away from where Trigger is standing.

BFett tries to think of any tricks that could provide him with an advantage and acts on them as if they don't compromise his safety.

After one of the above IF statements has completed Bfett switches to his assault rifle and shoots at Trigger's torso, center mass.
((Clever use of intuition. :) Free shot at Trigger and probably avoided blowing yourself up. You got lucky. Mostly. Too bad the timing was off.))

You shut off your helmet lamps as quickly as you can, hoping to keep it from giving away your position. You're not much of one for sneaking... but you don't want to let him know where you are if it's at all possible. Then, after your lights are off, you stay quiet and think. You feel like he'll probably try to figure out where you are - and he'll probably trust in the darkness to keep him hidden. Normally that would be a good strategy, but you intuitively feel like you might have more of a chance if you tried to shoot him, rather than throwing a grenade.

Leaning out from behind cover, you carefully peer into the darkness, looking around for Trigger - and your sharp eyes manage to glimpse him through the darkness - a little shimmer of light glinting off of his heavy armor. It looks like he's trying to look for you, too. You smile, feeling pleased, and whip out your laser pistol. Before he even knows it's coming, you've shot a solid beam right into his foot. He shouts in agony and starts to move - you get away from the wall and start moving towards him, switching to your assault rifle.

Suddenly, with a sharp explosion, a napalm grenade bursts behind you, raining liquid fire onto the little guardhouse you were hiding behind moments before. It startles you and makes you duck for a moment, but you turn your assault rifle back around and start firing quick, sharp bursts in Triggerhappy's direction - but it doesn't seem to do much in the way of damage. You only hear it pinging off first his armor, and then his riot shield. He pulls out his assault rifle and starts firing at you - but most of his bullets seem to miss. You smile, feeling sure of yourself, and let off a few more quick shots in his direction.

Suddenly, with a sharp stab of pain, you feel a few bullets hit you in the side - you bite your lip and groan, almost collapsing from the surprise of it, your hand pressed tightly to your side - and get back down on the ground, looking for cover. The pain is maddening - you can hardly believe how realistic it feels - but you need to find cover or you won't be able to make it out alive. You're bleeding pretty badly already - it seems like one of the bullets hit an artery.

But that's all you have time for. Everything goes black.

Before you slip from VR and awaken back in reality, you see a replay of your final moments - a lightly-armored hacker crouched on the ground, holding his side, as a pistol round flies into his temple.

~~~

You awaken back in the VR chamber, cold metal bolts digging into the jacks in your neck. As you unhook yourself and sit upright, Triggerhappy does the same across from you. He gives you a wide smile and two thumbs up. It was a close fight. If you'd had perhaps a little more time to prepare you could've outsmarted him... especially because he's horrible at hiding. Unfortunately, it wasn't to be.

You've learned a lesson of humility from this, though. Just because you've seen more battles doesn't mean you're inherently better than everyone else. You only hope he learned something, too.

Triggerhappy
Triggerhappy wrote:Freeze behind cover ( move to cover if I am not there already ) and stay completely still, lights off, and listen and look for any sign of BFett.

Be prepared to re-position if flanked or grenaded.

If I spot him, throw my second napalm into his cover, then fire at him with my rifle (hopefully when he gets smoked out of cover ) and proceed to go at him with my riot shield and pistol, firing to kill.
You freeze behind cover, trying to quiet your breathing, and lay completely still. You move ah and up to your helmet lamps, and are pleased to see that they're still off, just like you left them. Then, slowly, carefully, you carefully, quietly step out of cover and start looking around for BFett.

You can't see a damned thing. It's pitch black. You're pretty sure he can't see anything either, though, so you have that in your favor.

At least. that's what you figure until you feel the bite of a laser pistol's beam cutting into the flesh of your ankle. You shout in surprise and stumble forwards on top of your riot shield, one of your hands rushing out to check the blood - except the wound seems to be seared shut. Even so, you're not going to be able to put much weight on that foot for a while. It's almost surprising he managed to hit you, and even more surprising that he managed to find a chink in your armor. He must be an excellent shot - or you're just horrible at staying out of the way. Maybe it's both.

Before he has time to react, you pull out a napalm grenade and chuck it over towards BFett as hard as you can - but your aim is off due to your wounded leg - you can't rock forwards the same way. It hits the wall far above him and explodes, raining blazing jelly all around behind and lighting him up as a silhouette in the darkness, far across the room. He's reaching for his assault rifle, so you do the same, grabbing yours. As he begins to fire a barrage of useless shots that ping off your armor or miss entirely, you fire off a few quick rounds of your own and manage to hit him in the stomach a few times. BFett groans with pain and doubles over, crouching low to the ground and trying to find cover - but you don't give him a chance. You put your assault rifle back and switch to your pistol - a good long-range weapon with plenty of punch - and shoot him in the head.

You watch in satisfaction as the bullet rips a bloody hole through his temple. Your opponent's body crumples lifelessly to the floor.

The world fades away.

~~~

You awaken back in the VR chamber. The cold metal bolts attached to your PSI jacks are digging into the back of your neck uncomfortably. You unhook yourself and sit upright, and BFett does the same across from you. You give him a wide grin and two thumbs up. It was a close fight - you probably would've died if you hadn't been wearing such heavy armor - and if BFett had given a little more thought to his plan. His intuition is almost uncanny - and his ability to see you in the dark. Are you really that bad at hiding?

Regardless, you've learned a solid lesson from this: tactics are everything in a fight. If you can just keep that in mind, you'll probably rise through the ranks pretty quickly. You only hope BFett learned something, too.
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Dinosawer wrote:(( I must say, I'm kinda surprised at the complete infectivity of BFett's light armor at stopping bullets - it's not like he hit a joint or anything :think: ))
((As the wiki very clearly states: "Purchasing this gives your suit some light armor. It might not deflect bullets, but it's definitely enough to keep you a little safer, especially from things like shrapnel or light lasers."))
Triggerhappy wrote:
Dinosawer wrote:(( I must say, I'm kinda surprised at the complete infectivity of BFett's light armor at stopping bullets - it's not like he hit a joint or anything :think: ))
((I am surprised that a laser shot "Good for targets with no armor, and occasionally metal" got through 2 shields and heavy armor... ))
((Heavy armor has joints. It's not like it's a body replacement. Your first shield turned his +2 bonus down to a +1, and your riot shield was down because you were holding your two-handed assault rifle to start with instead of your pistol. That's still a 5+1, or an epic success. His epic success toasted your foot a little. laser pistols aren't exactly the most effective thing out there. It did some damage and affected your rolls, but it wasn't enough to kill you.))

(( I read that as deflect vs stop or something. Also, "might" could perfectly well mean "if it hits in the wrong place". :P
Allow me to illustrate the source of my confusion:
Light armour: " It might not deflect bullets, but it's definitely enough to keep you a little safer, especially from things like shrapnel or light lasers."
Armored limbs: "these things give you a significant enough boost to your durability that you could almost take on a bullet swarm without flinching...About equal to light armor."
Assault rifle: "Not so good at killing anything with armor. "
I assume it's more complicated than that, but I don't know how the armour system works, so cut me some slack ;)
Also, not complaining, I just want to understand how it works. I tend to get shot regularly after all :D
inb4 Tal "Hmm, you're right, let's nurf everything \o/" :ghost: ))
Warning: do not ask about physics unless you really want to know about physics.
The LT IRC / Alternate link || The REKT Wiki || PUDDING

Dinosawer wrote:(( :? English is weird. Why use 'might' when you're sure?
Also, that's not really the important part, so read that again, tomorrow, when it's not 4:50 AM :P ))
((It's likely just a colloquialism, not an actual grammatically correct sentence for that meaning.))
<Detritus> I went up to my mom and said "hey... do you feel like giving five dollars to black lives matter?" and she laughed and said no :v <Black--Snow> my life does matter though ~~ added by Hema on Jun 11 2020 (2770)

Online Now