Return to “REKT”

Re: REKT: VR Combat Simulator

"Back here again? Thanks CHIARA!" Even if she's not physically around, I give her a big smile anyway.

I then make my way around the Tier1 Weapons kits scattered around, getting a rough overview over the available parts.
I then walk to a Crafting-station and start building Weapon:
Based on the Technology of a usual Gauss-Rifle, I try to make a Higher-powered Gauss-Rifle with much higher Penetration-power. For this I first disassemble a normal Gauss.
Weight is a secondary concern as long as one can carry it around. If one can't shoot it standing, no problem as long as it works when set upon something or with an exoskeleton.
I will build the bipod (I assume it will be much longer than the normal Gauss, so for better handling I intend to put on a bipod) with magnetic clamps so it can be better used from a CASKET's cockpit.
I will also try to get some dampeners inside to reduce recoil.
Ammo-wise, I fashion a set consisting of 10 sufficiently sized stakes complete with magnetic holders on the side of the gun. See if I can construct it in a way that allows for easy assembly/disassembly from/in 2 or 3 parts and also look for a case to put it into.
After each step in the construction, describe the process in easy wording so I can replicate it later if needed. Ask CHIARA to record it all.

"CHIARA? If I manage to injure myself with that thing during the tests...please reset my physical condition to OK after...5 seconds, please."
Once finished with construction, take a few shots at differently armored CASKET (and perhaps a HAMMER designed/armored after the one we brought back) to see the effects.

When Blake asks for the human-sized targets, say to CHIARA: "Please generate Dummies for the start. I don't think we want to have some virtual enemies lurking around here freely."

((In case, that the multi-roll-rule is in use during the testing-simulation, please interrupt it before the second Handiwork roll. If the rule is not in use, happy crafting ho! :D ))
Apparently, sometimes stuff might happen.
- - - - - - - -

Update for VR

((Triggerhappy submitted his turn first, so he won initiative for this turn. Not that it was ever used.))
BFett
Spoiler:      SHOW
BFett wrote:Once within hacking range BFett attempts to hack the maneuvering thrusters of his opponent's casket. If his weapons come within range BFett fires both his neutron gun and his particle gun at his opponent.

BFett attempts to keep some of the tallest buildings in front of him between himself and his opponent as he eases his casket forward.
You watch Triggerhappy, fully expecting him to come charging blindly at you like a bull, guns blazing. As soon as he's within range, you plan on shutting down his thrusters so he crashes into the ground. The young upstart is so full of himself it's maddening - you want to give him a taste of what real combat is like.

Soon, though, you realize - Trigger isn't charging you. In fact, he's firing - a railgun round passes several feet above your left pincer - a near miss. He's done no damage, but you see him starting to bank to your left, taking his CASKET down in between a couple of run-down buildings. You fly towards him, cautiously watching where he disappeared and keeping the buildings between you.

You wonder where he went.

Your PDA beeps, updating you with data from his current location. It looks like he's ... underground? It's certainly a surprise to you... you start to think about what you'll do about it.

Triggerhappy
Triggerhappy wrote:Mentally prepare to get REKT.

If BFett does not immediately begin evading, take a careful shot with my railgun. Skip shooting if the enemy is evading right away.
I then loose altitude and use buildings as cover between me and BFett while I figure something out.

I notice an underground entrance to the city Metro network. Too small to fly into, however.

Perfect.

Land right by the entrance. Take a moment to disable and lock down my ship.

Get out of the CASKET and head into the dark Metro.

Walk deeper into the Metro for a while.

Inside, enter the abandoned, rundown, dark hallway deeper in the network, leading into several side rooms.

If I can find a string/wire in the ruins, position it as a simple tripwire across the darker part of the hallway at ankle level.

Enter one of the side rooms, take cover, and wait.
You're pretty sure you're doomed in this scenario. You can't see that you have much hope against someone that's already completed two missions, but you're going to give it the best shot you can.

Curiously, BFett doesn't actually start moving - it's as though BFett expects you to charge him. This leaves him open, you realize, and you set to work on lining up a careful railgun shot. After some meticulous aiming, you fire - and according to your cameras, the shot goes wide, just barely missing him. It's a bit of a disappointment to you, but then, you aren't sure you really expected to be able to hit him anyway.

Your next order of business is finding cover. Taking your CASKET a bit lower to the vine-ridden ground, you start looking about, hoping to find some kind of place where BFett can't immediately get at you. You know your delicate CASKET computer won't stand up to a single hack from BFett's ship, so you'd like to be able to get out. And - fortunately - you're in luck. Over between a couple buildings on your right, you soon locate the entrance to a subway station - a metro. You cautiously fly your ship down to the entrance and set it down, landing with a jolt. Feeling somewhat shaken, you unfasten your seat belt as quickly as you can, hitting the buttons to open the canopy. Then, you shut off your ship, powering it down completely before you climb out. It isn't long after that before you've slid down the side of the CASKET, all your gear in hand, and are on foot.

The gaping maw of the metro's entrance looms before you, dark and foreboding, wrapped with vines and lined with cracks in the stone. All is silent but for the chattering echoes of some distant animal.

You enter the darkness, quickly jogging down the flight of steps, and turn on your helmet lamps to light the way. It's incredibly dark in here, and poorly kept. Water pools in deep puddles at the base of the stairs, the concrete about it stained dark brown from age and neglect; you step through these and head to the right, leaving a trail of footprints behind you. You might manage to last a while, but your footprints will give you away. You're all right with this.

After some traveling, you manage to find a darkened hallway through a set of fallen doors that leads into what was once a bathroom. The urinals are dry and cracked; in one of them you even find the nest of some small animal. You reach around your riot shield and prod the old straw nest with your pistol, but see no motion. Whatever lived here was dead. Behind you, the mirrors on the wall are in surprisingly good condition; your helmet lamps shine brightly back into your face, almost blinding you for a moment before you turn away, looking back to the doorway. There's still no sign of BFett, but you know he'll be able to see you on his PDA when it updates. He'll find you.

You just have to wait.

Blake
Black--Snow wrote:Attempt to modify my pistols with rails to speed up the projectiles fired.
((I assume this won't be an issue since it's VR, double rolls that is))
((On that note, what constitutes a double roll/use of two "Creations" in a part kit?))
Also attempt to widen the barrel, magazine and other firing components to allow for larger projectiles.
Create projectiles for the expanded weapons.

Fire the pistols at CASKETS (Different points, to test) and at the walls. Ask CHIARA for test enemies with different armour (none to ultraheavy) and shoot them too

((If this uses multiple rolls, just split it into different turns I suppose, but I don't want to trouble you too much. :3))
((Also, Tal, are you able to tell me exactly which rolls I failed?))
((I'll disable the roll restrictions for this VR session - at least until the two of you start shooting at each other. :lol: I considered the pistol rolls as taking one roll per pistol to do the things you mentioned. It gets fuzzy around handiwork things, but as long as you don't try exploiting rules it should all be fine. Common sense, you know?))
You pull out one of your pistols and take it over to one of the mobile workstations that sit nearby, looking it over. It's a pretty utilitarian thing - six-round magazine, powerful barrel - but you'd like to make it a little stronger. There's a tier 1 weapons partkit sitting nearby - you walk over to it and pull out some materials you think will be handy, and get to work, starting with crafting some rails. You think you'll also widen the barrel, when you get to that...

~~~
Your first attempt at adding rails to your pistol didn't go as well as you would've liked. One of your pistols is functionally the same as it was before. Your second attempt, however, was much better. Your pistol is no longer a mere pistol - it's now a railpistol, with a widened, lengthened barrel, and two accelerators mounted on the side. You had to lengthen the stock somewhat in order to fit a generator to power the thing, extending it over your hand. After that, you crafted a new addition to the casing. It's an odd looking weapon, but somehow attractive and graceful.

After looking it over for a moment, you turn and fire it at the nearest CASKET - the one belonging to Foreigner. It very nearly punches a hole in the armor. Your other pistol - the one you failed to upgrade properly - doesn't do as well - the bullets leave dents, but nothing special, mostly impacting and ricocheting away. You fire several more times at Foreigner's CASKET, and after several repeated shots in the same location, are able to punch a hole.

"CHIARA?" you ask. "Can I get some targets in here? Multiple armor levels, I suppose, but I don't want to trouble you too much."

She seems quite willing to help. "Of course. It's no problem."

Over on your left, several generic, white-suited soldiers appear. They look around curiously, and then seem to notice you. Immediately they shift to more battle-ready stances, guns aimed and loaded. You cringe, expecting them to shoot - but they don't fire. They don't actually seem fully intelligent. They're animated dummies.

You fire at the soldier on the left a few times with your non-upgraded pistol - the soldier that isn't wearing any armor. It takes you a couple shots to actually manage to hit, but when you do, it easily pierces the thin clothing he's wearing; you see blood trickle down his chest. After a couple more shots, he falls backwards and disappears. Another soldier materializes and takes his place. You try with your other pistol - the more powerful one - and on hit, it punches a much larger hole. The man shouts and crumples forwards, and another takes his place.

The lightly-armored soldier is a little tougher for your original pistol, you find, but the newer pistol seems to punch through it with ease. This pleases you.

Fawkes
F4wk35 wrote:"Back here again? Thanks CHIARA!" Even if she's not physically around, I give her a big smile anyway.

I then make my way around the Tier1 Weapons kits scattered around, getting a rough overview over the available parts.
I then walk to a Crafting-station and start building Weapon:
Based on the Technology of a usual Gauss-Rifle, I try to make a Higher-powered Gauss-Rifle with much higher Penetration-power. For this I first disassemble a normal Gauss.
Weight is a secondary concern as long as one can carry it around. If one can't shoot it standing, no problem as long as it works when set upon something or with an exoskeleton.
I will build the bipod (I assume it will be much longer than the normal Gauss, so for better handling I intend to put on a bipod) with magnetic clamps so it can be better used from a CASKET's cockpit.
I will also try to get some dampeners inside to reduce recoil.
Ammo-wise, I fashion a set consisting of 10 sufficiently sized stakes complete with magnetic holders on the side of the gun. See if I can construct it in a way that allows for easy assembly/disassembly from/in 2 or 3 parts and also look for a case to put it into.
After each step in the construction, describe the process in easy wording so I can replicate it later if needed. Ask CHIARA to record it all.

"CHIARA? If I manage to injure myself with that thing during the tests...please reset my physical condition to OK after...5 seconds, please."
Once finished with construction, take a few shots at differently armored CASKET (and perhaps a HAMMER designed/armored after the one we brought back) to see the effects.

When Blake asks for the human-sized targets, say to CHIARA: "Please generate Dummies for the start. I don't think we want to have some virtual enemies lurking around here freely."

((In case, that the multi-roll-rule is in use during the testing-simulation, please interrupt it before the second Handiwork roll. If the rule is not in use, happy crafting ho! :D ))
"Back here again?" you ask. Then, trying to make sure you sound grateful, you smile and say, "Thanks CHIARA!"

She doesn't respond. Perhaps she feels it wasn't necessary.

You make your way around the low tier weapons kits scattered around, getting a rough look at all the parts. There's a lot out here - miniature generators, particle emitters, laser cores, rails, plenty of sheet metal for crafting barrels, blades, stocks and cases - it's a veritable dreamworld for the inventive mind. You grab some of the parts - rails, metal plates, a generator, poles - and head over to a workstation to get to work.

~~~

After some amount of work, your project is finished: a high-powered, man-wielded Gauss cannon that makes the regular Gauss rifle look like a cheap toy. Of course, the thing you've built is astonishingly heavy - but not heavy enough that you can't move it about, and you've even crafted a handy tripod to mount it on. You set it up, aiming it towards the nearest CASKET - Foreigner's. It seems to be the popular target. Blake has already poked a few holes in it.

"CHIARA?" you ask. "If I manage to injure myself with that thing during the tests...please reset my physical condition to OK after...5 seconds, please."

"All right."

When you pull the trigger, there's a sharp, loud clap; a fireball bursts from the barrel of your gun as the round superheats the air, and a shower of sparks as it slams into Foreigner's CASKET, punching a hole straight through the metal. You hear a hissing noise coming from within - sounds like you hit a fuel line or something.

((I counted crafting the entire thing as a single roll. CHIARA can't help you re-craft it on missions, though. VR is VR. Mission is experience. This does help you learn the ropes of crafting, though.))
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

"CHIARA? Those are realistic results, aren't they?"

Fashion a Sniper-Scope on the Weapon. Build it so, that it can be easily removed if it's used on shorter distances.

"Also...Is it possible to compile part-lists in here to give to the People at the armory? Wouldn't want to run out of important parts halfway through construction...And also: Is ammunition provided in the pack?"

Look over the Gauss Cannon if there's any damage from the shot just now.

Then take a seat in my own CASKET and set up the Gun on the frame of the cockpit. Ask CHIARA to generate an equivalent of the HAMMER we captured last mission quite a distance away and shoot it.

Whispering to myself: "I like this thing!"

((Nice Move Trigger! :thumbup: ))
- - - - - - - -

F4wk35 wrote:"CHIARA? Those are realistic results, aren't they?"

Fashion a Sniper-Scope on the Weapon. Build it so, that it can be easily removed if it's used on shorter distances.

"Also...Is it possible to compile part-lists in here to give to the People at the armory? Wouldn't want to run out of important parts halfway through construction...And also: Is ammunition provided in the pack?"

Then take a seat in my own CASKET and set up the Gun on the frame of the cockpit. Ask CHIARA to generate an equivalent of the HAMMER we captured last mission quite a distance away and shoot it.

(( Thanks! Also, what you seem to have build can be quite useful as an Anti Armored long range sniper rifle. You can sit in a hangar, or on the ground even, and snipe at ships flying above or tanky surface targets! You just have to find a good position... Really awesome. Like one of the new 'Heavy Weapons, put long range.))

Modify my Lasgun to increase the power of the beam. If I can, modify the wavelength to be smaller (More accurate at range) and increase the focus diameter (More accurate at range)
Try not to make it too heavy or unwieldy, but if it does become either: build an arm specific exoskeleton to help hold the weapon (Can be attached to the weapon or my arm, whichever makes it easier to build)

Build from scratch a mounted coilgun. It should be fairly large and able to fire heavy projectiles ((KAREN :V )) at high enough speeds to heavily damage non-moving targets (Specifically buildings / large vehicles).

Test both weapons. The Lasgun on the armoured enemies and a HAMMER from last mission, and the coilgun on the walls, doors and ships in the hangar. ((Ask for a projectile relatively similar to KAREN (Imagine he's asking as a coincidence :P )))

If I'm injured, have CHIARA fix me up after 10 seconds
During the 10 seconds, examine my bodily condition so I can refine the prototype.

"CHIARA, could you please project a live feed of BFett's duel with that other inmate? I'm interested in the result. Thanks!"

((EDIT: Tal, when I say "More accurate at range" what I actually mean is the beam is more focused and thus has an enhanced ability to hit a specific target with more power. Nothing to do with making my aim better.))

When finished, bid farewell to Fawkes, thank CHIARA out of courtesy. Exit the VR and return to Tartarus
Last edited by Black--Snow on Sun May 01, 2016 11:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
<Detritus> I went up to my mom and said "hey... do you feel like giving five dollars to black lives matter?" and she laughed and said no :v <Black--Snow> my life does matter though ~~ added by Hema on Jun 11 2020 (2770)

Black--Snow wrote: If I can, modify the wavelength to be smaller (More accurate at range) and increase the focus diameter (More accurate at range)
(( [physicsawer] Neither of those matter for an infantry laser rifle (or even for the ship ones at the distances we're using them at), only your own aim makes a difference there [/physicsawer] ))
Warning: do not ask about physics unless you really want to know about physics.
The LT IRC / Alternate link || The REKT Wiki || PUDDING

Dinosawer wrote:
Black--Snow wrote: If I can, modify the wavelength to be smaller (More accurate at range) and increase the focus diameter (More accurate at range)
(( [physicsawer] Neither of those matter for an infantry laser rifle (or even for the ship ones at the distances we're using them at), only your own aim makes a difference there [/physicsawer] ))
((No, they don't, but it's nice to provide some plausible backstory to the modifications, even if it is over exaggerated. Still, I could have just said "Make gun more big boom"))
<Detritus> I went up to my mom and said "hey... do you feel like giving five dollars to black lives matter?" and she laughed and said no :v <Black--Snow> my life does matter though ~~ added by Hema on Jun 11 2020 (2770)

Update for VR

BFett
BFett wrote:Since you and triggerhappy have both advised me to send my actions in PM I'll do so.

TURN 2

BFett comes around the cover and uses the PDA to locate the last known location of Triggerhappy. If Trigger is located BFett uses his particle gun to shoot at him. If Trigger's casket is located BFett uses his Neutron Beam Projector to destroy the ship.

BFett attempts to hack the comms of Triggerhappy.
You ease your CASKET over towards where you last saw Triggerhappy, when he disappeared in between two of the buildings. On the way, you come across Trigger's blinking signal on your PDA - you fire your particle gun at the road where your PDA says he is, but it doesn't do much but scar the surface a little.

It isn't much longer before you actually come across his CASKET. He left it in front of a subway/metro entrance - a dark tunnel with a wide, steep stairwell that leads underground, across the street from a large multi-level parking lot. You fly in close, take careful aim, and fire your neutron beam projector at his ship. A glorious, bright-white beam shoots forth from your ship, blasting Trigger's CASKET into oblivion with audible hisses and a deep, resonant hum. When the beam finally stops several seconds later, you take a closer look at your handiwork: it looks like you missed the engines, but you definitely rendered the front half of his ship (and the cockpit) utterly worthless. The cockpit is in flames, and the rest of his ship is red-hot, charred, and melting. You did your job well, and feel accomplished.

Without anything else to do, you search for Trigger's suit's radio communications and try hacking into them. It's not long before you accomplish this, too - although, now that you think about it... why would you even do that? It's not like he's talking to anyone. You guess you could probably fling a few choice taunts in his direction if you wanted to, though.

About this time, you notice something strange happening out ahead of you, near the suburbs of the city... some kind of movement. It's difficult to tell what it is exactly from this distance, though. It's probably nothing.

Triggerhappy
Triggerhappy wrote:Break the glass mirror, and collect one or two larger shards.

Leave the hallway and go into the Metro's equally dark, large, ruined train platform. Walk around the platform, creating false footprints. The hide myself completely behind one of the many support columns, using the mirror shard to look around the column at the entrance. Turn off my lights and make no noise.

WAIT

When and if BFett appears in sight, wait until he walks away form the entrance, and then attack first with a burst from my rifle, and then step out wielding my shield and pistol, firing, moving away from my current cover. Get to a different cover.

If he attempts to take cover, drop a Napalm into his position. Move away from any explosive he throws at me.
You walk over to the mirror and slam the butt of your assault rifle against it as hard as you can. The mirror immediately cracks - a network of lines shooting out from the impact point. You hit it again, further towards the edge - another series of cracks stream outwards. After a few more well-placed hits, you're able to pull away a few of the larger pieces. Carrying these with you, you leave the bathroom.

Before long, you're back at the metro's ruined train platform. It's pitch black and in horrible condition - as you walk along, your helmet lamps illuminate dark streaks, smears and pools that you can only assume are some kind of decayed matter, or possibly oil. It must smell pretty bad too, you imagine. You soon decide to take cover behind one of the wide columns supporting the ceiling, an eye on the entrances ahead of you, waiting for BFett.

You wait.

After some time, you decide BFett probably isn't actually coming, and start to look around a little more. A few feet away from you, there's an abandoned purse, just lying there. You walk over and pick it up, and on looking inside it, find an ID card and even credit cards. "Mari Renwick," you say quietly, looking at the photo of the brunette woman on her ID. Why would she just leave her purse here, with her ID in it? It gives you the shivers for a reason you can't quite put your finger on. It doesn't feel right.

You sweep your helmet lamp outwards curiously, looking about for more clues. There's a camera lying on the ground a few meters in the direction of the entrance - and beyond that, the shredded remains of a bag that contains an older model holotop... and everywhere, everywhere, the same dark stains. That's when you realize - the dark smears and pools aren't oil stains - it's aged blood, dried and blackened.

You start to feel uneasy.

Fawkes
F4wk35 wrote:"CHIARA? Those are realistic results, aren't they?"

"CHIARA?" you ask, "Those are realistic results, aren't they?"

"As realistic as we can make them, yes," she replies.

Leaving your weapon where it is, you walk over to the nearest kits and get out parts to try to build an optical scope. If you'd been thinking about it, you might've tried to add it right from the start, but now you'd like to see if you can manage to craft one and put it on.

~~~

Unfortunately, your skill with optics turns out to be somewhat limited. While the scope looks... half-decent... it doesn't really make targeting with the gun any easier. In fact, looking through your new scope turns out to only make it more difficult. On the plus side... it's at least easy to remove. You take it off and chuck it in a heap with your other scrap parts. Then, feeling somewhat agitated, you ask CHIARA, "Is it possible to compile part-lists in here to give to the people at the armory? Wouldn't want to run out of important parts halfway through construction... Also, is ammunition included in the pack?"

"Ammunition is included as standard in all the weapons parts kits," CHIARA affirms. "As to compiling parts-lists, there is no reason. The parts in all kits come standard. If you would like better parts, it would be wise of you to purchase a high-tier kit."

You frown more deeply, somewhat annoyed with this information. You were really hoping you could find some way to manipulate things so that you'd have an extra advantage on missions. It seems like that just isn't going to happen. It's probably more fair to everyone else that way, but at the same time, you were hopeful. Walking back to the Gauss Cannnon you just created, you look it over, trying to discern if there's any visible damage on it from your shot - and there isn't. Then you look back at Foreigner's CASKET. The hole it left is a few centimeters in diameter - nothing excessive, but still a lot more than you can easily manage with a normal infantry weapon.

~~~

After a while, you manage to get your CASKET set up with the Gauss Cannon mounted on the side. You take off, flying out through the shields, and ask CHIARA to generate a Mimir HAMMER somewhere nearby and shoot it. She seems somewhat confused by this request, but generates a HAMMER. It almost instantly explodes as a volley of turret fire from the Tartarus rips it to pieces - shredded in moments, it finally breathes its last in an antimatter explosion from its engines. You look on in stunned surprise. "No, I want to shoot it!" you protest.

"That's not what you said," CHIARA points out, but nevertheless complies with your request - she creates a new HAMMER for you to shoot at in place of the old one. You take careful, steady aim, and, leaning out of your cockpit, take a shot with your Gauss Cannon.

The round pings off the HAMMER's armored surface uselessly. It is still an infantry-based weapon, after all.

"I like this thing," you whisper.

Blake
Black--Snow wrote:Modify my Lasgun to increase the power of the beam. If I can, modify the wavelength to be smaller (More accurate at range) and increase the focus diameter (More accurate at range)
Try not to make it too heavy or unwieldy, but if it does become either: build an arm specific exoskeleton to help hold the weapon (Can be attached to the weapon or my arm, whichever makes it easier to build)

Build from scratch a mounted coilgun. It should be fairly large and able to fire heavy projectiles ((KAREN :V )) at high enough speeds to heavily damage non-moving targets (Specifically buildings / large vehicles).

Test both weapons. The Lasgun on the armoured enemies and a HAMMER from last mission, and the coilgun on the walls, doors and ships in the hangar. ((Ask for a projectile relatively similar to KAREN (Imagine he's asking as a coincidence :P )))

If I'm injured, have CHIARA fix me up after 10 seconds
During the 10 seconds, examine my bodily condition so I can refine the prototype.

"CHIARA, could you please project a live feed of BFett's duel with that other inmate? I'm interested in the result. Thanks!"

((EDIT: Tal, when I say "More accurate at range" what I actually mean is the beam is more focused and thus has an enhanced ability to hit a specific target with more power. Nothing to do with making my aim better.))

When finished, bid farewell to Fawkes, thank CHIARA out of courtesy. Exit the VR and return to Tartarus
You start tinkering on the delicate inner workings of your lasgun, completely disregarding all the "warranty void if removed" and "warning: safety hazard" labels. You're an engineer. What could possibly go wrong?

~~~

Not much, as it turns out. Your modifications turn out to be mostly successful. As you'd expected, your lasgun has become somewhat bulky, and you've had to discard one of your pistols to make room, but you've made an incredibly powerful beam weapon. The only drawback you have is the generator - you forgot to replace it. As a result, while your lasgun excels at cutting deep gashes into the nearby CASKET's (you focus on Hema's for a change of pace, tracing your name into the side), it overheats, runs out of power, and then takes a couple minutes to recharge. On one hand, this could prove slightly annoying in a mission. On the other hand... it's ridiculously powerful and awesome fun. You love this new weapon! You'll want to take it with you everywhere, and you're sure you'll never get tired of it!

You toss it aside like it's worthless to you and start building a coilgun instead.

~~~

The mounted coilgun is a disaster. The parts are there - the theory is sound - but you don't quite have the experience you need to accomplish such a feat. You can get the parts hooked up and working together, but for some reason, pulling the trigger shorts out the entire contraption. It's a neat design... but it just doesn't seem like it's meant to be... at least for now. You feel like if you came back to it again someday, you might (might) be able to figure it out... but today isn't that day. Sighing, you go get your superlasgun and test the laser beam on a few armored enemies that CHIARA has generated.

The modified lasgun beam turns out to be a massive success. It eats through all but the heaviest armored targets, easily searing through even light armor. (However, you do find yourself taking frequent breaks.) You soon find you're even able to destroy heavy armor with some difficulty - if you keep it focused long enough. Then you spin around and try to test the massive, bulky thing on the HAMMER that Fawkes has had CHIARA summon.

It fails miserably. It just takes a higher level of firepower to bust through a HAMMER's armor - something like... Karen...

You narrow your eyes in annoyance. "CHIARA, I'm ready to go now," you say.

"Logging you out," she answers calmly.

Everything blacks out.

~~~

You awaken in the VR room, almost alone. Fawkes is in the PSI chair next to you, still in the simulation. You wonder how long he'll be.

((You don't know of the duel between BFett and Triggerhappy, as far as I know. I think you left before that started, and you're not omniscient. :P ))
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

((Nice one, Tal. :D))

*Sigh* "Yes, you're right, CHIARA...my fault there..."

I fly to the Hammer and take a look at it, did it at least make a passable dent in there?.
After that, get back to the Tier1 Kits and look around if there's a usable scope in there already. If yes, build it onto the Gauss-Cannon as intended in the last post. If not, try again to build a proper scope.

Then shoot at a light-armor-dummy (Sorry Dummy :( ), check again that i only used Tier1 parts and log out.

Edit* No walking in Space!
- - - - - - - -

Update for VR

BFett
BFett wrote:Turn 3

Setting his particle gun to a tight stream BFett looks at the dark tunnel with the wide, steep stairwell that leads underground.

If the casket can enter and pass over the stairwell that leads underground he attempts to do so with his casket. If BFett believes that his casket won't fit he uses his particle gun to cut out obstacles which would have prevented his casket from entering and descending the stairwell (in the casket). He then attempts to fly over the stairs into the underground chamber.

If BFett sees Trigger he shoots at Trigger using the Neutron Beam Projector. If something explosive is in the area which is near Trigger BFett passes his NBP over that object while it is firing.
You fiddle with the firing controls and set your particle gun to a tight stream. Rather than spraying a wide area, you'd rather make sure Triggerhappy is good and dead. Then, with that done, you look towards the metro entrance.

It's a large entrance - and quite ornate. Unlike the rest of the city which is cold, hard steel, the metro entrance is decorated with what was once polished stone, stacked brick by brick and carefully mortared to achieve what at one point may have looked quite beautiful. Now, however, it's overgrown with weeds and plants and tangled with vines. You see a number of cobwebs present too. Spiders were often accidentally exported from earth to new colonies - it was hard not to find a few, and they tended to proliferate dramatically if there was any insect life on the planet. It seems this was at one point definitely the case - although the webs now hang loose and empty. The entrance archway looks like it might fit your CASKET... if you're careful. You decide to give it a try.

Flying forwards with a gentle hand on the controls, you enter into the wide passageway, just over the central stairwell, and turn your thrusters up to full to keep your ship hovering properly. Once you're good and stable, you ease off and begin to glide down into the metro station.

Unfortunately, this doesn't go quite as well as you hoped. While you manage to avoid utterly wrecking your CASKET, you get caught a few flights down when one of your robotic arms snags a dangling piece of cable and almost pulls you into the wall. You carefully correct your course, but the arm is almost hopelessly entangled now in the thick wiring that hangs from the ceiling. It seems this particular portion of the ceiling caved in at some point. As you look around, you notice the ceiling appears to have caved in at several other points as well... but you don't see Triggerhappy. You'll need to come up with some way to undo this mess you've gotten yourself into.

((You got a "meh" maneuverability roll.))

Triggerhappy
Triggerhappy wrote:Dim my lights, raise my shield and pistol, and begin moving back, retracing my steps. Use the mirror, quickly looking around corners before entering the room, and move quietly.

As I sneak, use his location on my PDA to make sure I don't get ambushed myself.

Move withing 50 meters of the entrance, take cover in the shadows and wait.

If at any point I hear BFett, turn off my lights, get into cover, and wait for a visual. On visual, shoot from cover with my assault rifle and then step out of cover, shield raised, firing my pistol. If he attempts to take cover, throw a napalm into his position. Move away from any explosives he throws at me.

Stay silent, yell no threats, and do not answer anything he may yell at me.
Quietly, you dim your helmet lamps to as far down as they'll go while still letting you see, and you begin moving back, retracing your steps to the bathroom. There at least, it was safe. You put away your pistol and hold your mirror in one hand as you go, using it to look around corners in case there's anything alive - but you see nothing. This place really seems dead.

Glancing at your PDA again, you see that BFett's position hasn't altered. Either the PDA doesn't refresh quite that often, or BFett has decided not to move. You think you hear the distant rush of thrusters, though... and that implies that BFett is actually trying to fly his ship into the metro tunnels. You'll have to be careful.

When you're finally back in the bathroom, you turn off your lights and get into cover, waiting silently. BFett will surely look at his PDA and see where you are - he'll be headed in your direction.

Fawkes
F4wk35 wrote:((Nice one, Tal. :D))

*Sigh* "Yes, you're right, CHIARA...my fault there..."

I fly to the Hammer and take a look at it, did it at least make a passable dent in there?.
After that, get back to the Tier1 Kits and look around if there's a usable scope in there already. If yes, build it onto the Gauss-Cannon as intended in the last post. If not, try again to build a proper scope.

Then shoot at a light-armor-dummy (Sorry Dummy :( ), check again that i only used Tier1 parts and log out.

Edit* No walking in Space!
Chuckling at CHIARA's misunderstanding of your instructions, you fly your CASKET over to the HAMMER you were shooting at, taking a closer look. It takes you a little while, but you eventually find a little nick that your weapon made in the armor. It's definitely visible - it gouged a little divot in the surface. It definitely didn't piece the hull though. This disappoints you, but, then again, you were making an infantry weapon - as strong of an infantry weapon as it might be.

You fly back and land carefully inside the Tartarus hangar, get out, and take your Gauss cannon back to the "target range". After setting it up, you head back to the kits and go about trying to build a proper scope.

~~~

This time your scope-building is a total success. Laser-optimized, computerized and self-adjustable to within several kilometers, it's a masterpiece - and almost a piece of art. You walk back to your Gauss cannon and carefully fit it in the slot, and then, aiming at the light armor dummy, you fire.

It's a direct hit. In an instant, the dummy's chest practically implodes, flinging gore messily about in the path of the projectile - and then it fades away as CHIARA unloads the dead dummy and helpfully replaces it with a new live one.

You don't feel like shooting again though. You look back at the parts kits and look them over - you've only used Tier 1 parts. That's pretty much what you wanted.

"I'm ready to go, CHIARA," you say. "It's time for me to get back to the Tartarus."

"As you wish, Fawkes. Logging you out."

The Tartarus hangar fades away.

~~~

You wake up in the VR chamber with a slight ache in the back of your neck and a tingling in your forehead, but it quickly fades away as you disconnect yourself and sit upright in the darkened room. You learned a lot that VR session, short though it may have been. First, you learned that building things without proper things to shoot at isn't a very fun thing to do. Second, you learned that you are indeed very good at building things - but also that it's risky to buy just one craftkit unless you're sure you can handle whatever you plan to make. You keep this in mind for the future.

UPDATE FOR VR

BFett
BFett wrote:Turn 4

Shoot at the wall that my arm is stuck to with the particle gun (attempting to cut or shred the cable)
Use neutron beam gun on wall or ground closest to Trigger's position.
Reverse thrusters to pull away and rip the cable off of the wall, or dislocate robotic arm.
While carefully maintaining your position to keep from crashing into the floor, you try to twist your angle of attack to aim your particle gun at the cables that have ensnared your left robotic arm. It's a tricky maneuver, but you manage to hit a few of the cables - and some of them even snap, ripped in two by your fire. Unfortunately, with the cables tangling up your robotic arm like it is, it's very difficult to get a good shot off on them. As you try to correct your aim, you end up putting a little too much power on your aft thrusters and your CASKET begins to careen to the right, down the stairwell. You hurry to fix your mistake, and barely manage to keep from crashing into the wall, but at this point you've completely turned yourself around on the stairs and are actually facing towards the entrance you just came in through, and your robotic arm has come loose, twisted upwards and away from the body of your CASKET.

You've had enough of these cables. Your particle gun helped, sure - but you want to get rid of them once and for all - and the destroyed arm, too, if you can help it. Without waiting to think this through or really put any thought into whether it's actually an intelligent idea, you reach forwards and hit a few buttons on your control panels. Above you, you hear the familiar whiiiirrrrrRRRRRRR as your neutron beam projector revs itself up to firing power.

With an earsplitting screech, a brilliantly blinding beam blasts before you, vaporizing the cables that have held you in place in an instant and begin to rapidly melt their way into the ceiling. You hurriedly (and carefully) rotate your ship to the left, towards the location on your PDA where Triggerhappy was when it last updated, and begin searing through the walls - but you've hardly made it more than a meters through the weak structuring before the beam falls silent.

But the walls and ceiling don't. All around you, the ceiling rumbles; chunks begin to fall, and you hear a distant screech in the distance - the screech of some furious creature disturbed from its slumber. Gradually, the dust settles, and the ceiling stabilizes.

You put on your reverse thrusters and propel yourself backwards into the wall. With a sickening crunch, you hear your engines get crushed against the walls behind you. They may still function, but it'll be risky. Just like old times, right? You remember something similar happening in Sedirmar. You feel like you should probably keep the engine usage to a minimum and rely on thrusters from now on - which isn't such a bad thing, considering you're underground. You're going to have some trouble maneuvering, though. You also have a huge hole in the front-left side of your CASKET where your robotic arm used to be before it got ripped away. You'll have to protect that.

You glance at your PDA. Triggerhappy appears to be just over to your left, hiding somewhere in the darkness.

Triggerhappy
Triggerhappy wrote:Find BFett's position on my PDA.

Precede to sneak forward towards the entrance, retracing my steps and continuing to use the mirror and dimming my lights.

Move several corners away from the enemy CASKET, in one of the narrow hallways, and prepare to do two things:

(1) - If BFett moves in on foot, attack him. ((Same attack procedure as I PMed last turn.))

(2) - If BFett's CASKET manages to get too close to me, or turns to fire on me with his ship, move back down the hallways to better cover, and repeat (1).

Keep quiet at all times and do my best not to get ambushed.
You look at your PDA. BFett is hiding (hiding? is he?) in the entrance to the metro station. You decide to sneak back towards him, going over the same path you've taken several times at this point. You continue to use the mirrors to look around corners, but as before, there's no sign of a living thing anywhere - except yourself. You and your handsome self. You should walk around with a mirror all the time. You could maybe use it to frighten people behind you.

When you finally get back to the large open area near the central stop, you hide quietly in one of the side hallways, looking over towards BFett. You're not really sure what he's trying to do -

- and all of a sudden, the whole station lights up with a light as bright as it was day. You're forced to squint to let your eyes adjust to the blinding, painful glare as a dull roar echoes through the station. BFett is using his neutron beam projector, right around the corner. The dull roar turns into an ominous rumble, and chunks of the ceiling begin to fall in the open area before you. You hear a distant screech somewhere, far down the tunnels - the screech of something alive - something that didn't want to be awoken. You feel BFett may have just triggered something very unhappy.

You glance back at your PDA. He's still on the stairs. He hasn't really moved, either. It looks like he's trying to wait you out, or something. Maybe he's trying to intimidate you. It's difficult to be sure.

Online Now