Return to “REKT”

Re: REKT: VR Combat Simulator

BFett, Karthus, Dr. Cha0zz, Hema, Amenra, Dinosawer, Squidhead, Foreigner, Fawkes, and Taepilus
Spoiler:      SHOW
BFett wrote:"I was thinking about letting the computer putting random pilots in for enemies. Do you have any suggestions on the AI type of the hostiles or possible allies?"

"I am thinking that we'd team up together to do whatever fighting occurs." Starts walking to VR room
Jetison333 wrote:"hey bfett wait up for me." follow bfett
BFett wrote:*Finishes eating pasta then gets up.*

"I'm headed over to the VR Room if any of you want to join me."

*Walks over to Hema.* "Hema do you want to do a practice mission in the VR room?"

If Hema and other members decline get up and walk to the recreation room. Examines the room and looks for a chess set and play against someone.
Cha0zz wrote:You guys are going to the simulators?

Cool, I think I'll join, gives me an opportunity to test out my new ship.

Follow the other to the simulators
Hema wrote:
Cha0zz wrote:You guys are going to the simulators?

Cool, I think I'll join, gives me an opportunity to test out my new ship.

Follow the other to the simulators
"Okay Doc, I'll give you the simulation details, if we get anyone else we'll have a big dogfight. :)
Right now, we're going up against a couple, heavily armed gunships."
Begin walking to the simulator with everyone else
As the core of Platoon 56 sits in the dining hall, talking amongst themselves and discussing recruitment, Hema and BFett sit off to one side, discussing the plans for something they believe will be rather small.
  "Know what kind of mission you'd like?" Hema asked, leaning forwards across the table. "Normally, I'd choose something that I know I have a chance of finishing. It will be interesting to see what someone else picks."
  BFett was quick to reply - it seemed he'd already given it further thought. "How does a space mission sound? Maybe we can practice fighting a few MkIII CASKETs with our current ships."
  Widening his eyes a bit in surprise, Hema almost choked on his food. "Will we have any allies? I was planning on changing my current armor..."
  It was clear he didn't quite think his present loadout capable of handling such an encounter, and he was probably right in that. BFett didn't notice, however, only getting up and starting towards the VR room himself. "I was thinking, just the two of us, teamed up against them, giving them random loadouts."
  Hema got up from his seat quickly, almost knocking over his plate in his hurry to chase after his platoonmate. "Hey, hold on. I would make sure we're specific, or else the simulator will probably make it extremely difficult for us." He had a feeling the simulation was going to be fairly difficult already.
  At this, another inmate, Karthus, called out, "Hey, BFett, wait up for me." With this, he leapt up from his seat and jogged over, catching the glance of his two platoonmates. Hema seemed to welcome another potential ally, falling behind just a little to ask the soldier about his loadout.
  Right then, someone else tapped Hema on the shoulder. "I'll join you in the VR."
  Hema turned around to see Foreigner standing there, the leader of the squad he'd just joined. This time, he merely nodded trying to mentally calculate just exactly what he'd have to do to make an encounter with three veteran allies balanced. He himself, of course, had never been on a real mission, though he had a good deal of simulation experience. But it didn't stop there. Taepilus came to join up as well, followed by Amenra, Fawkes, and even Dr. Cha0zz.
  By this point Hema was feeling rather stressed over the whole balance situation, and as the party moved towards the VR Combat Simulator, he was trying to puzzle out exactly how he would make it work. And, before long, he decided: he simply wouldn't. For that reason, when they reached the next hallway split, he made a dash for his quarters.

~~~

  After several more minutes, they arrived at the entrance to the simulator - a wide, open hallway branching off from the main one, directly across from the infirmary. Perhaps some of the more inquisitive minds among the little group was wondering why the infirmary would be placed so close to the VR Sim, but most minds and eyes were focused on Hema as he stepped in front of the little group, holding a few sheets of scribbled-on paper. "Update on the simulation!" he called out, waving the paper around in the air and motioning for everyone to stop. "We're switching to a dogfight simulation."
  Foreigner spoke up from the back. "Wasn't that what we were doing already?"
  Appearing flustered, Hema explained, "I mean, we won't be fighting NPCs. We have too many people for that - the VR Sim doesn't fit more than ten units at a time."
  "Well, that's bullshit," Squidhead muttered, coming up in the rear. He'd joined the group sometime after Hema had left and Hema hadn't even noticed. "Why aren't their computers more powerful? You'd think they could handle more than ten players."
  Hema just shrugged. "Hey, I'm just writing everything up, don't ask me. Anyway, we'll need to choose teams."
  There was some whispered commenting among the group. Dogfight? Separate sides? Some people liked the idea - some, like Dr. Cha0zz, had grudges they wanted to settle. Others, like Dinosawer - not so much. BFett soon settled the entire thing by taking charge. "The plan is for a 5v5 dogfight in an asteroid setting. Please choose between team 1 and team 2. Those who have completed the first mission, let's try to keep things balanced. I'll be in team one with Hema. Do we have anyone for team 2?"
  Foreigner was the first to step forwards. "I'll be in team 2, because why not," he said, shrugging. Bravery ran in his blood - and starting a new team required barely any effort.
  "I'll join Foreigner," Karthus said, stepping forwards, followed by Amenra taking her place in Team 1, and then Dinosawer. Before much longer, everyone had chosen sides, and Hema was busily taking down names and loadouts. Dr. Cha0zz, hoping to be on the side with the fewest idiots, was the last to choose, and he seemed somewhat disappointed.
  "That looks like everyone," BFett said, gesturing for the group to follow as they stepped into the VR entrance hallway. "Let's go have some fun."
  Someone in the back muttered about how it was a combat simulation, not a game, but nobody paid any attention.
  The floors were dimly lit with red track lights running along the base of the walls, as though to encourage and instill a certain quiet atmosphere - at which it seemed to excel. There was hardly anyone walking around, and the place was silent as a tomb. Further in you could almost hear the distant hum of fans and machinery as they labored to bring a hundred simultaneous worlds to life. When one stepped back and thought about the technology needed to produce something like this, it was quite simply mind-blowing. There were entire planets even in the Middle Worlds that didn't know this tech existed. Of the group, only Taepilus and Hema had experienced it firsthand - and the others were about to meet CHIARA.
  "Welcome to the VR Simulator, BFett," her chilled voice sounded out in the dim hallway. "I see you brought a group with you. My name is CHIARA, and I'll be your guide while you're here. Please walk between the guards single file while they check you in, so we may begin." Not one of the group protested as the guards stepped out to frisk everyone. Squidhead they had some degree of trouble with, but they eventually passed him along as well.
  "Please proceed to room 77, and remember to remain quiet," CHIARA intoned softly from unseen speakers, and the group started forwards once more.

 Following the glow of floor lights down the hallways, they soon came to a darkened doorway that slid back as they approached, emblazoned with "VR Chamber 77". Somewhat jumbled, the third of Platoon 56 that had gathered behind BFett made their way into the darkened room...
  ...and indeed it was dark. There was almost no lighting, save for a single holoconsole in the center. A series of holopanels floated above it silently, their icy glow casting an eerie light around the chamber.
  "So... what now?" Amenra asked, scanning the faces of her comrades.
  Giving a shrug, Dinosawer started to walk forwards, asking, "Want me to do this?" He figured he could learn as he went along, being good at that sort of thing anyway.
  Hema, having had some experience with the VR Simulator, didn't seem to approve of this idea. Paper in hand, he walked ahead of everyone else, approaching the console. "I'll put everything in," he said to explain his actions, and as he looked upon the hovering lights, a dim overhead lamp lit up, shining a soft glow down upon him. Though a different room than before, it was exactly as he remembered - a set of scrolling lists, complete with pictures, and the words hanging in the center:
How do you want to fight?

Choose:
- Loadout
- Enemies
- Allies
  Of course, this time everything was too complex to input it all in one pass. He glanced at his papers, then back to the console, cautiously stretching out his hand.

  Just as before, the display suddenly whisked the text away, flashing with activity as it assembled Hema's loadout - ship, guns, and allies. As he read over the list, it continued to sense his thoughts, and one after another, he rapidly iterated through his platoonmates until everyone's loadouts were in. At once, the text, pictures, and lines coalesce to form a single sentence:
Do you accept these settings?
  Without hesitation, Hema reached forwards and tapped "Yes" on the holopanels.
  As soon as he does, the lights on the console fade away, leaving everyone in the dark.
  And then, with a flash, lights scroll back on across the edges of the room. Ten spotlights: Five on the left, five on the right, each shining onto a PSI Chair. The veteran members and Taepilus recognize them as the same seats as in the CASKET cockpit. What they're supposed to do is obvious. Without even asking questions, everyone files into the seats - team one on the left, and team two on the right - and lie themselves down. Squidhead bypasses the whole thing and plugs himself into a few USB ports, but the others aren't so lucky. Some wince as they feel the cold aluminum probes thrust themselves into the jacks implanted in the backs of their skulls specifically for this purpose. Everything soon fades into darkness as the sounds of the world grow distant...

~~~

Darkness.
That's all you feel - that's all you see. You look down, around, try to clap, but to no avail - you don't seem to exist. You are a bodyless mind floating in a void - but then, even as you watch, your hands take shape before your eyes, forming from thousands of minute lines, increasing in resolution until you can see the tiniest detail. You turn your hand over, looking at it in astonished surprise at the amount of detail. Even your scars and imperfections are visible. The only possible explanation is that the Tartarus VR is pulling data from your mind for an accurate representation of yourself. You give yourself a little pinch and feel real, physical pain. Dying here is going to hurt like hell. They said you couldn't actually die, right?

"Loading simulation," CHIARA's voice chimes softly from... all around you. Your eyes catch a little motion up above, and you turn your head in time to see the outlines of an asteroid form - and then another, and another, the wireframe shapes growing and spreading, taking texture - a nearby star spawns and casts light through a dusty clouds, filtering perfectly through in a manner that reminds you exactly of that real universe you just left. And then, even your CASKET forms about you, detailed down to the smallest smudge, crack, and stain. You hear the quiet hum of the engine behind you, hear mutterings from the others over the comms. The faintest trace of a nebula works its way across the light of distant, twinkleless stars... it's quite beautiful, but still just as ugly as real life.

"Load completed," CHIARA says.

Your allies are lined up in a row beside you, but your enemies are nowhere nearby. Perhaps they're just beyond that nearest asteroid... but that remains to be seen.

You're ready to fight.
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Here's a quick map. Light source from the east. Playing field is two kilometers across. Image Red is team 1, blue is team 2. Yes it's gamey. This is VR, after all. :P It should offer you more tactical choices than a normal random scattering. If you want to flee deeper into the field than is shown here, that's fine too - I'll expand stuff. Added more detail, so this is irrelevant now
Hema wrote:Once at the combat simulator, make sure everyone's there and say a few words to the assembled group. "Thank you all for coming. One last time, if you wish to switch teams, find someone that will switch with you, and let me know. Also let me know if you want a last minute loadout change. If you don't want either, then wait for me to fire up the VR simulator, and take a seat." After the short speech, set up the simulator with the following settings.

Team 1
Hema
Using current loadout, but change the grenades and crossbow bolts to the
following: Barbed+Explosive, Syringe+Acid, Syringe+Teargas, Sticky+Flare, Barbed+Cable
Grenade pack of three, all sticky. 2 napalm, 1 flare

BFett
Using current loadout, and a machine pistol in his extra slot, as well as three explosive grenades.

Dr. Cha0zz
Using current loadout.
For grenades: 1 sticky explosive, 1 sticky frag, 1 normal explosive
for crossbow bolts: sharp+solid, barbed+cable reel, incendiary+explosive, syringe+acid

Amenra
Using current loadout

Dinosawer
Using current loadout.
Blunderbuss configuration:
  • 1 Proximity Explosive
  • 1 Remote Explosive
  • 2 Molten Shells
  • 1 All-purpose Chaff

Team 2
Karthus
Mk. II CASKET, railgun, particle gun, mountable camera, repair kit, gauss rifle, lasgun, afterburner system and a blink teleporter.

Squidhead
((He preferred to have his linked to, probably because he wants Tal to see that he's changing his official loadout. Pay attention Tal. :P))

Foreigner
Casket Mk II, Tesla Arc Projector, Medila kit, electron sword, waskizashi sword, energy shield, light armour suit, scottish wool scarf. For the crossbow: Sharp+explosive, barbed+solid, incendiary+oil, sticky+cable reel, sticky+flare

Fawkes
Using current loadout.

Taepilus
Using current loadout.

Location: A dense asteroid field. We should start with some distance (and asteroids) between the teams.[/u]

((I know that this is a lot Tal, if you need time to set it up, or you need any help, let me know. :)))
Last edited by Talvieno on Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: edit
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Time passed so far: 1:15 (min/sec)
Amenra
Waits for scouting information from Dr. Cha0zz, and Dino’s charge, then swings around the asteroid with Hema and aims and fires on the first available target.
You wait. Dr. Cha0zz is sending a drone underneath the asteroid to chart out the enemy position, and it shouldn't take long - supposedly. Sure enough, it doesn't - it isn't long before Dr. Cha0zz is sending everyone the data from his scout - and the space on the other side of the asteroid is completely clear.

That means you're going to have to wait for Hema and Dinosawer.

You circle around to the rightmost side of the asteroid - the dark side - and get ready to charge in. Hema soon lines up beside you, giving you a nod through the window of his CASKET. You return it, though slightly less interested in pleasantries, and slightly more interested in punching holes in people.

It isn't much longer before Dinosawer gives the signal - a mad charge right past you into the shadow of the main asteroid. You and Hema step on the engines, accelerating to follow.

There isn't much visible. It doesn't seem like the enemy is planning on coming around on this side - or at least, it doesn't at first. Suddenly, you hear a shout over the comms: "BONNSAAAAAAIIII!!" It's Dino, of course, throttling forwards with a burst of speed as he fires shots at a lone CASKET floating close to the surface of the asteroid. It fires back.

You sure as hell aren't going to miss out on this fight. Throttling forwards, you get within close enough range to fire, and let off a railgun round. The slight force of the recoil on the flight yoke is immensely satisfying.

Hema
Wait for Dino to charge in and BFett to start hacking, then go around the asteroid with Amenra and fire at Squidhead using my Microwave field manipulator.
You sit there next to Amenra's CASKET, waiting for the signal. BFett is supposedly trying to hack Foreigner right now - and it isn't long before he radios out that the hack is successful. It isn't much longer after that that you receive your signal: Dinosawer hurtles past you, spinning his ship around excitedly in an aileron roll. Giving Amenra a nod, you accelerate and follow after him, keeping your eyes peeled.

Of course, that turns out to not really be necessary. You soon hear a shout over the comms: "BONNSAAAAAAIIII!!" It's Dino, of course, throttling forwards with a final burst of speed as he fires shots at a lone CASKET floating close to the surface of the asteroid. It fires back. And so do you, firing up your computer and inputting the appropriate values as quickly as you can. The computer takes the information and begins to hum as its internal fans kick in, calculating enormous amounts of data to perform your request down to the smallest fraction of an inch. You wait... tensely... and finally, words appear on the screen in front of you: "FIELD MANIPULATOR ARMED."

You pull the trigger.

...but as is the nature of field manipulators, it's rather difficult to tell whether you hit.

BFett
Visually scans for strange activity in the area and uses his Neutron Beam Projector to zap any enemies that attempt to attack him. He quickly sets the particle gun’s slider to 75% (fairly tight particle beam). Attempt to plant a listening program in Foreigner’s comms to if he is in range, else hack the comms of the first enemy CASKET within range to install a listening program. BFett follows Dr. Cha0zz’s CASKET and shoot any hostiles with the particle gun.
You look around for any strange activity in the area - but there doesn't seem to be any. Everything is peaceful and quiet. Sighing, you quickly set your particle gun's slider to 75%, and get to work on a hack, as your teammates are urging you. Foreigner in particular is going to be your target - you're going to try to bug him.

The hack is unbelievably easy, even despite you having to bounce the signal off nearby asteroids to get around the main one. Your hacking systems are beautiful works of art, especially after your recent upgrade, and Foreigner's computers simply can't handle it. Just like that, you're in - and the entirety of his comm messages come through... at least, everything that they say afterwards. It starts off right in the middle of one of Taepilus's sentences...
[Taepilus] ... wouldn’t spot us all immediately and we could easily flank and overwhelm them in battle
[Fawkes] Perhaps we could make a little arrangement...say: we set up on the surface of the big one, staying in the shadows and reducing our own light-emission...if they circle around on that side, we would notice them, but they wouldn't see us for a while…
[Taepilus] That would be a good one too. In both cases we would have an extensive line of sight, they would have their own line of sight reduced and we would easily be able to flank them.
Do the others have any input?
[Fawkes] What kind of input?
[Taepilus] Perhaps a third option, or deciding between our two tactics
[Fawkes] We should see, what the others say...but we should expect a scout-drone soon...also...this amenra-girl...I´m not sure, if she could hold her temper once anything exciting happens...perhaps we could separate her from the rest somehow...losing their only railgun would be of advantage for us.
[Taepilus] Definitely. Nobody on our team seems to be strong enough to beat her in a one-on-one battle, but if we could outnumber her/separate her from the others… Obviously, the problem is that we are unaware of her whereabouts.
We should also start trying to figure out who should avoid attacking who on the enemy team.
[Fawkes] hmm...They have the advantage of area-covering weaponry on most of their vessels...as such, we´d only play into their hands if we´d try to fight all of them at once...better to snipe one of them and then go back into hiding…after all...they have 2 of those quantum cannons and one of those neutron-beam projectors...pretty strong weaponry i suppose...it´s better if they never get to aim those things at us.
[Squidhead] I have a quantum cannon, we are not completely outgunned
[Taepilus] Good to hear. Anybody else have the QC or neutron thing?
[Squidhead] We have a railgun, a tesla arc projector and a microwave cannon. the microwave cannon isnt bad
[Taepilus] You mean the field manipulator?
[Squidhead] yup, its not “boom headshot”, but still quite effective
[Taepilus] I agree. How I understood it, it’s a mid-to-close range weapon though, so it wouldn’t stand a chance versus a neutron projector. If we manage to get a 2v1 battle against somebody, however, the MFM would be an excellent choice for the flanker/secondary attacker
[Squidhead] we’d have to avoid the neutron beam once after that its probably useless
[Taepilus] Valid point. We’d need someone whose ship can take a beating for the job.
[Squidhead] Taking that thing is stupid, get him to fire and avoid it
[Taepilus] I think that it’s really difficult to dodge that thing. I mean, it is a close-combat weapon, after all. Hack it, maybe? Or attack from afar?
[Foreigner] I have a Tesla Arc Projector, it tends to make leaping arcs towards all ships, allies and enemies alike. That’s a good reason to put me somewhat away from the main group. We shouldn’t separate our forces. I can do the recon job, flying in front and to the side of the group. I’d advise melee folks to keep close to the surface and hide in the shadows if possible. There should be some pre-planned things - e.g. if we detect and destroy enemy drones we should change our position immediately, leaving bait (one CASKET - mine will do since it’s Mk II and it’ll probably survive a couple of direct hits) and preparing to ambush the enemy.
[Fawkes] CHIARA? Do you hear me? I´m interested in the Anti-matter fuel-tanks...is there a way to safely extract those and...stuff them into the Railgun as an ammo-substitute? I´d prefer not to disappear in a flash during the process…
[CHIARA] Yes, Fawkes. I hear you. I would strongly advise against extracting the antimatter fuel tank, as you don’t have the tools to do so safely. Cutting power to the containment field even for an instant would result in a catastrophe. The railgun barrel isn’t wide enough regardless.
[Fawkes] Pity...would´ve been a great surprise to them...but still thanks. Foreigner...wouldn´t it be better to let Karthus do the obvious stuff? He´s got the teleporter...and we don´t have to use it for a bait to escape...we could lure enemies into an ambush when we let them see the ...Christmas-Lighting for a moment...best in a certain distance so they still follow while giving karthus enough time to hide on the shadow-side of an asteroid. And we should get moving. Either I get paranoid, or they are already moving into our direction…unless someone got a better idea, we should move into position like this:
[Fawkes] Why this layout, well...In case we´re spotted, Karthus, who is a bit in front of us peeking over some kind of cover with his mounted camera, can teleport away. He could also fire a shot with his railgun and then hop off, he can decide about that. After that, I´ll look for a crater or something similar where i can fire my railgun from, in case Karthus spots the enemies, Foreigner and Taepilus can give enemies trying to get to us a hard time with their field-manipulators and squidhead can fire from his position between with the heavy weapons. I´m always open for better suggestions, you know...but i worry, that they are already on the move.
[Taepilus] I’m for the plan. I’m heading towards the central location now.
[Foreigner] Ok, I’ll fly a bit to the side to avoid any fallout from the Tesla Arc Projector use for you folks. Would you fly in the shadow? I think I’ll do that, and use small asteroids for cover. I’ll include the image with my trajectory.
[Foreigner] Agreed with Karthus acting as bait, he’s tough and can bail out. Since we don’t know enemy’s intentions, we’d better come in force and prepare for a battle of attrition. I don’t think the Reds will split their forces, so all the fancy tactics will probably go out of the airlock pretty fast.
[Fawkes] Let´s hope the best for all of us.
((As with all hacks, this hack may or may not run out next turn - i.e. you may or may not get anything out of it at all))

"Hack successful," you tell everyone. With that done, you head over to Dr. Cha0zz, still listening to Team 2's comm chatter. Once you're in position, he motions for you to follow him down the bright side of the asteroid, following the battle plan you discussed earlier.

But... there's nobody there. Nobody the entire length of the asteroid - and when you arrive at the far side, where Team 2 is supposed to be... well, there's nobody there either.

Dr. Cha0zz
Boot up my enhanced spectrum cam and detach one of my scout-drones. Send the drone under the asteroid that I’m behind and use it to observe the area behind the asteroid (try to keep the drone in the enemy's blind spot), relay all the data to my team’s CASKET’s.
If someone (enemy) comes in reach of my weapons, use my magnetic field manipulator to smash him against the asteroid.
After having send out my scout-drone and having relayed the data, go to my position indicated on the map and wait for BFett to initiate a hack, once BFett has joined me, we circle around the asteroid and when Foreigner’s ship comes in sight I smash it against the asteroid with my magnetic field manipulator (if I haven’t used it yet), then I aim my microwave field manipulator at Foreigners’ position, set the settings to deadly and fire at him.
If at any time an enemy fires at me, dodge it.
"Boot up my enhanced spectrum cam, Jimmy," you say, as you detach one of your scout drones from your auxiliary pallet with a key-press.

Jimmy, your GREASE's AI, seems a bit peeved at this request. "Really, Doctor? And what exactly do you expect to see? We're sitting right in front of an asteroid. If you want I can tell you exactly what you'll find so you don't have to look: rock."

"Jimmy, now," you order, busily maneuvering your drone beneath the underside of the asteroid.

"What's eating you anyway, Doctor?" he asks, grumbling as he starts it up.

Your answer is simple: "I expect we shall see combat soon, and I want to be ready." Just then, your drone breaks the cover of the far side, revealing something you didn't expect to see at all: Absolutely nothing. Opening comms, you relay the information: "Team One, there is absolutely nothing on the far side of this asteroid. If CHIARA wasn't lying to us when she provided the initial map, then they've moved. And it's about time we do, too."

With that, you head over to a rendezvous point, waiting for BFett, who says he's initiating a hack on Foreigner. The hack seems to be successful, and BFett soon shows up beside you, ready to travel with you along the light side of the asteroid. And so it begins.

...or, it doesn't begin, actually. There's nobody on the light side of the asteroid at all. Not even a drone. Everything is blank. And, that can only mean one thing - they're all on the dark side. Dinosawer is going to end up charging right into the middle of them.

Dinosawer
I’ll wait for the doc to transmit the scouting information. When he has done so, I’ll fly around the large asteroid in the direction that will take me to their blind spot. When I have visual:
if they’re still clustered together (as in, at least to of them are still flying together) I’ll launch a proximity mine into the largest group, from far enough so that it’s primed by the time it reaches them.
If they’re not clustered, I’ll launch a molten shell at Karthus’ drives or Fawkes’s or Teapilus’ if I don’t see him.
After that, while yelling “BONNSAAAAAAIIII!!”, I’ll throttle forward and engage with electrolaser, quantum cannon (triple shots) when in closer range, then stab with large scythe, then grip and tear weapon system off with my pincer. After all that, fly out a bit to give me some room to dodge shots.
I’ll do this to Karthus. If Karthus is taken out before I run out of attacks, move on to Fawkes, Taepilius, then whoever is closest.

When fired at at any point, dodge by doing a strafing aileron roll.

If the doc’s scout drone doesn’t find the enemy, start flying around the asteroid via the left dark side until I see the enemy, then do the rest of the plan as described above.
If we get attacked before we can finish our plan, proceed with the attack part.
You wait. The Doc is going to transmit some data on the enemy... and then you're going to charge them beneath the asteroid. Stealth tactics, yeah!

...but then the data comes in. There's nobody on the other side of the asteroid at all.

"Okay, change of plans," you say, putting your ship into a tight turn as you head towards Hema's and Amenra's location. You're going to have to head for... the dark side of the moon asteroid. Seconds later, you speed past Hema and Amenra in a blur, charging forwards ahead of them. If there's anyone on the dark side of the asteroid at all, you're going to find them.

Of course, it's dark. Very dark. Dark enough that it's hard to see anything at all - but then you do see something. It's a little glint of metal, hardly noticeable amongst some of the darkest shadows of the asteroid - but it has the unmistakable telltale shape of a Mk I CASKET. And, unless you're wrong... it's Squidhead. There's always been a little friction between you two - maybe it's about time to sort it out.

“BONNSAAAAAAIIII!!” you yell, throwing the throttle to maximum as you barrel forwards, the rapid acceleration temporarily overcoming your inertial dampeners and pressing you into the back of your seat. You hear a series of light pings coursing their way over on the left side of your ship - particles from a particle gun, you believe - but your hull is too thick there for it to do any real damage.

Switching power to your new weapons, you pull the trigger for your quantum cannon, firing a triple shot, just as Squidhead fires one of his own. Your three beautiful purple plasma projectiles drift lazily around him, while his manages to hit your left robotic arm with a glancing blow, knocking the thing to pieces with an explosion that rattles your cockpit. Your left robotic arm is dangling by what seems to be a few electrical cables now, twisting and waving around as you continue on. You retaliate with your electrolaser, and grin in satisfaction as the lights in Squidhead's CASKET flicker and go dark. "Success," you whisper, and then spiral in closer as Squidhead struggles to get away, manipulating the controls to flick your right robotic arm outwards and ahead of you, your scythe glinting beneath your headlights. Squidhead starts trying to maneuver out of the way but you're too quick, reaching him and spinning your ship about in one smooth motion, firing retrothrusters just in time to keep from smashing into the asteroid, as your robotic scythe slices neatly through the left-frontmost portion of his ship, seemingly going all the way through. You jerk it sideways and out of his CASKET, utilizing your thrusters to assist, and your grin widens as you see jets of coolant and RCS fuel spraying out of the cleft and into space.

Of course, he still has his quantum cannon... but you figured you could deal with that later.

Leaving Squidhead where he is, you back up and put some distance between you, to try to give yourself a little room to dodge shots... just in case he fires.

Taepilus
Start making way towards the shadow of the large asteroid
After talking things over for a little while, you head out, starting to move towards the asteroid's shadow. You stop just short of it, though, in a little safe spot - invisible from either the far left or near right corners. Hopefully you'll be safe here - at least for now.

Fawkes
Fly over the central Asteroid into position as seen on Page 7 (small picture) looking for a hollow in the surface big enough to fit the casket and with a good view on foreigners path (Preferably only the cockpit looks over the edge). Enlarge the hollow if necessary with the particle gun. Then turn of any headlight/other non-necessary light source in the cockpit. Also get a computer-report regarding the fuel-tanks and turn off the standard-fuel input to further reduce light-emission.
Keep your Eyes open for anything unusual and be careful. Watch for hackers and report any sighting.
If i noticed being hacked, inform the others like “Hack. Turn of computer. Restart: 30 sec” force-turn-off the computer for 30 seconds and then restart.
If I see any enemy (or all of them) dive into nearby shadows, turn off all lights and take aim (preferably at BFett if i identify him, or Amenra.). If they noticed me, fire at max 2 shots, trying to hit the generator/computer. Then circle the Asteroid to get out of sight.
There seems to be some disagreement over what exactly you're going to do, so you stick to your own plan, flying up above the central asteroid and looking for a nice little crater you can fit yourself into, with a good view of Foreigner's path. You do find one before too much longer, just beneath the shadow of a larger protrusion. Carefully, cautiously, you settle into it, coming very close to knocking off one of your robotic arms as you do. The controls seem to be a little finicky - or perhaps your ship is just a little too sluggish to respond as quickly as you need it to. It still works well enough, at least. You shut down all unnecessary lights in (and outside) the cockpit, and wait.

And everything is silent until you hear Squidhead yell - but you can't see him, or any of his attackers, from your little perch. You're perfectly safe where you are... at least until CHIARA updates the map. With this thought in your mind, you give a quick, worried glance at your PDA...

Sure enough, the map soon updates itself, showing quite clearly where everyone is. Including you. Your little safe spot likely won't be safe much longer.

Foreigner
Oh well, sod it. Let’s see how good this ship actually is.

Fly close to the surface, but avoiding the need to maneuver around surface features, as indicated on the image:
Upon reaching point 1, have a look at the void near the central asteroid. If the enemy is there in the shadows, exhaust will illuminate the surface and give them away. IF there’s no enemy in sight, proceed to the point 2 and hold position behind the asteroid. IF there’s an enemy, hold position behind the asteroid at point 1.

Be ready to evade incoming fire. IF flung into the midst of the enemy force, fire the Arc Projector and accelerate, punching right through them.

“Let’s go; mind my electric discharges and enemy’s microwave emitters. Good luck everyone.”
"Oh well, sod it," you mutter, starting up your flight systems and getting a good grip on the controls. "Let's see how good this ship actually is."

As it turns out, it flies beautifully in comparison to the Mk I. You skim the surface of the central asteroid, Squidhead struggling to keep up right behind you, and then break away from it towards one of the larger asteroids in its shadow. You soon arrive at it and slow to a halt, looking out your windows. There doesn't seem to be anyone nearby, so you travel even deeper into the asteroid's shadow, getting behind one of the farthest asteroids in the little cluster.

And just then, your console starts flashing - "INTRUDER DETECTED". It looks like someone is hacking your comm systems... you fiddle with it a bit to try to figure out what's going on. Your firewall will adapt, right? The longer the hack continues, the less chance they'll have of it continuing to work? And what did they hack, anyway?

Just then, you hear shouting coming from Squidhead - it seems like he's under attack. You peek around the edge of your new hiding spot and see no less than three ships rushing towards Squidhead, who seems to be all alone with nobody to defend him. One ship in particular closes the gap and rushes in to melee distance.

Ah well. Now they're right in the middle of your ambush, so it can't be too bad.

Karthus
Fly ahead of Taepilus and find a crater to take cover in. Use my camera to peek around and try to spot enemies. If I spot only one person then shoot at them with my railgun and try to get in behind them and stay there. If theres more than one then tele back a ways, next to Taepilus.
You fly ahead of Taepilus, and ahead of squidhead, searching out a nice crater to take cover in on the dark side of the asteroid. You quickly find one - a perfect crater, so beautifully designed that you feel almost proud of yourself - and your sharp eyesight - for discovering it. Your CASKET will fit snugly inside, and will be able to lower itself all the way to the bottom, completely concealing you. You rush to take advantage of it.

Once situated in the bottom of the crater, you wait.

And you don't have to wait long. As if on queue, you see someone rushing towards Squidhead in a Mk I CASKET - shots are fired. Looks like it's time for you to assist. You raise yourself out of the depression you've found and fire - first your railgun, then a nice, long stream with your particle gun. You're not entirely sure whether the railgun round hit him, but you're quite sure your particle stream did - but it seems to have mostly bounced off the surface of his armor. He did ask for some extra plating, as you recall... perhaps that had something to do with it.

Regardless, as you soon spot two more Mk I CASKETs coming your direction, you decide it's high time to get out of there. Spinning your ship about in place with the thrusters, you aim in the general direction of where you left Taepilus, hurriedly setting the controls of your Blink Teleporter as you do. You feel yourself tense as your hand hovers over the trigger switch - teleporting actually feels kind of scary, now that you think about it. But there's no time for thought - only time for bravery.

You hit the switch.

It happens so quickly you can hardly tell what's going on. A whirling vortex appears in front of your craft, warping and twisting space around it in bizarre, otherworldly patterns as it seems to suck you in towards the crater wall -

- and out the other side, into empty space. It happened in the time span of an eye blink... and you're now floating quietly next to Taepilus, safe and sound. Maybe that's why they call it "Blink", eh?

Squidhead
Flies with Foreigner to the point where the blue arrow splits off from his path, and positions himself close to the asteroids surface that he has a field of view roughly equal to the red wedge.
if someone from the other team comes in view and nobody else is near him for a few seconds, shoot him.
if someone from the other team comes in view and has someone behind him, wait until both are well within squids fov and then shoot em
if someone else starts shooting, shoot as well
As Foreigner starts forwards, you fly ahead to keep up with him. He's headed somewhere deep into the main asteroid's shadow - but you plan on getting a nice little spot up against the asteroid's surface, somewhere sheltered from most things. It makes sense and is fairly tactical. You should be fine. It's kind of hard to keep up with Foreigner's ship, though. He's a lot faster than you, and he's in a Mk II. Eventually you split away from him and go stake out your spot on the asteroid, flying close to the surface and parking yourself somewhere well out of sight. When someone comes around the corner, you'll be ready. Things could get messy, so you'll have to be prepared.

And so you wait.

But you don't have to wait long at all, actually. A Mk I CASKET flies right in front of you only a handful of seconds later. You watch it for a moment, waiting to be sure there's nobody else with him, and when you're sure he's alone, you let loose with your plasma cannons. It seems to attract his attention, and he flies towards you - directly into your plasma fireball. There's a puff of a purplish explosion - it's hard to tell, but from the silhouette against the starlight and your own vision adjusted to the dark, you think you managed to break his left robotic arm almost all the way loose - but not quite all the way. It looks like it'll give him some major problems if he starts trying to maneuver. Even better, when he fires his quantum cannons - which means it can only be Dinosawer - he misses with every single one of the three shots. That's pretty hilarious.

Unfortunately, that's when your good luck ends. You vaguely recall that Dinosawer had not one, but two weapons - his new quantum cannon and an electrolaser - and a burst of this is what hits you. It's not enough to completely fry your computer, but you hear electrical humming coming from somewhere behind you, and all the lights in the cockpit go completely dark. All you can see is Dinosawer continuing to dive recklessly at you. And he's almost on you.

"BOOT!" you yell at your computer, along with a number of choice obscenities - and the damn thing actually reboots, though the lights are now a dull, warning red. Text flashes across some of your auxiliary screens: "RUNNING ON BACKUP POWER" - you're lucky it rebooted so quickly, but not lucky enough. He's coming at you at an incredible pace with his scythe arm fully extended - you can only imagine what he plans to do. Hurriedly, you throw full power to your bow thrusters, scooting yourself backwards, just enough so that when he reaches you, he misses your cockpit.

His scythe blade cuts deeply into the front-right portion of your hood, seemingly going all the way through, and he quickly twists to the side, ripping it directly through everything there. All at once, your screens light up with more worthless information: "DAMAGE DETECTED - PLEASE RUN DIAGNOSTICS SCAN" they flash. Why can't the damn computer do it by itself? You've already got a lot to deal with. Right now, your primary generator seems to be out, and there's several unidentifiable liquids spewing jets into space from the cleft Dinosawer ripped through the front side.

Well... things got messy.

You also feel a little warm... almost as if someone tried to toast you with a microwave field manipulator... but totally botched the settings.

Time passed so far: 3:30 (min/sec) (2:15 passed last turn)
Amenra
Do an aileron roll under Dino’s engagement in order to close on, and track Taepilus. Try to aim, lock-on, and fire at Taepilus. If no lock-on is possible before the end of the turn, then take my best shot. Then try to roll around a smaller asteroid and get behind Karthus.

If Taepilus stops being a valid target, attack Karthus or the next closest enemy instead.
Jamming your engines to full throttle, you rush beneath Dinosawer, doing an aileron roll as he and Squidhead close in on each other. Taepilus is at the far side of it all, but you can see him clearly - the light from the nearby star is reflecting off the aft of his ship, and his engine thrusters are visible as a cyan glow. You grin and pull the trigger.

... Except, nothing happens for a moment. Then, one of the screens on your right light up. "Damage detected; top engine overheated." No sooner does it say this than you suddenly find yourself spinning dizzily out of control in Taepilus's direction. ((successful aux roll)) You hurriedly equalize your thrusters, your hands flying across the controls as you nullify the lower engine as well and try to pull out of the spin. "Hema, did you hit me with your field manipulator?!" you call out incredulously. "I know it wasn't Taepilus - he's not even facing towards me!" This is absolutely ridiculous. You had a PERFECT shot! Why did Hema have to screw this up? Grumbling under your breath, you spin around, searching for Karthus. He has to be around here somewhere, right? You narrow your eyes, looking for him - he seems to have used that damnable Blink teleporter again. That thing is way too powerful. You're surprised Tartarus even gives it to people, given how they seem to have a penchant for killing off their own troops.

And then you see him. He's ported to right behind where you were before. His ship is in full light of the star, even though he isn't moving - it's a bright, shiny speck far off to the north. A smile crosses your lips, and you turn in his direction, gunning the throttle. He appears to be aiming for you... well, you can aim for him too.

As you approach him, he continues to miss - or simply not fire - and you decide to go roll around a smaller asteroid to get behind him. Sounds simple enough - the only trouble is, all the smaller asteroids are in a huge, chaotic, tumbling clump of boulders over on your left - it looks like it'll be a tight squeeze. Trying to relax, you guide yourself in that direction. There's no way he'll think you survived anyway, right? Lowering power on the engines, you get ready.

The first gap is narrow as heck; you squeeze through; the two massive boulders crash together behind you, but you can't even afford a look back, twisting and spinning through ever narrowing gaps, following natural paths through the field as tiny pebbles ping against your hull. You're tense, jumping at the controls as you realize you might be in over your head. The boulders nearer the center of the field tumble, rocking, grinding against each other with a power you can hardly wrap your mind around - a boulder narrowly misses colliding with your cockpit, and you throw yourself into a roll just in time to slide past it with a space of only centimeters, sliding smoothly into the next gap -

- and then you're out, into a natural quiet, empty space. You rein back on the throttle, letting yourself slow to a halt with you reverse thrusters. Through a little hole in the field, you can even see Karthus, sitting there, facing to your right - where you just came from. He doesn't seem to have any idea you're in here. Why would he, after all? Even YOU are somewhat surprised you survived that little adventure. Still, he's just sitting there - this would make for a perfect shot.

You creep forwards, lining him up in your sights. There's no way you could miss this shot. None at all. He's so close, and he's not even moving. He doesn't have a clue you're there. Bracing yourself for the inevitable impact of railgun slug on his cockpit canopy, you pull the trigger.

...but nothing happens. "Damaged detected," the warnings flash again.

"HEEEEMMMAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!" you yell, grinding your teeth in outrage. Your gun is definitely damaged, and it's probably his fault.

BFett
BFett starts flying back to Dino’s last known position. While in flight, BFett hacks Fawkes’s CASKET and installs a virus which disables Fawkes’s cockpit controls. If BFett is able to see an enemy ship he shoots his Neutron Beam Projector and Particle Gun at the ship once both weapons are within range.
You turn, headed over the central asteroid. You're planning on helping Dinosawer out with his fight against Squidhead - but you don't want to waste the time in transit.

Of course, that's easier said than done. If you're concentrating on a hack, you'll likely end up running into enemy fire. So, cautiously, you slow your ship down to a halt in a spot that looks particularly safe, and try to hack Fawkes' CASKET, planning to install a virus to disable his cockpit controls. You set up QuTran and get your upgraded version of Redline Pro running, and start digging into his mainframe. His firewalls are a little above standard, but you're a pro hacker.

Annnddd that's about when you realize you're hacking a lot more than just cockpit controls. By hacking the cockpit controls - the central hub of the computer - you're hacking everything at once: engines, thrusters, computer, PSI Unit, comms, weapons systems, thrusters - everything. As you should've expected, it has the highest level of protection. You get shut down almost immediately.

Frowning, and feeling annoyed and agitated at how your hacking skills seem useless, you start back towards Dino, mulling over what could have been. After you give it a little thought, though, you realize you could've just disabled his engines. That would do about the same thing - leave him stuck where he is. You could've disabled his thrusters and kept him from turning - he could've flown forwards, and maybe turn slowly, but what good would that have done him in a fight? And yet, you went for hacking everything at once. You might be pro, but you're not that pro. That would require a level of expertise pretty far past what you can handle right now.

At least Foreigner's comm chatter is still coming in.
[Squidhead] (crackle, sputter) Fawkes, Foreigner, if you can keep amenra (crackle) and hema off me, im probably going (static) to be able to deal with dino, and if not, im probably the only one who can act in both worlds, the VR and the real world.(crackle)
huehuehue. But back to serious business, BFett and the Doctor are behind you, you should probably turn around to face them and be prepared to avoid BFett’s neutron beam cannon, when you see it charging,(crackle) try turning (crackle) left, you avoiding by going towards the rock isnt a move he’d expect.
[Taepilus] Crap! That sounded pretty nasty over there, Squidhead. I’m not sure whether I should try to microwave the bastards from my current position and risk getting hit from my back by Chaozz and the other guy, or should I go to the other side of this small boulder and wait to ambush their second division.
[Squidhead] They know where we are, they have the same map as we have, ambushes without moving before are pretty pointless.
[Taepilus] Yup, forgot that for a second. So, how should Karthus and I deal with those other two? We’re obviously outgunned back here. Also, the hack Foreigner mentioned, they might be monitoring our communications. I could try and encrypt my end of the wire, but only if I have enough time to also get out of harms way/am able to microwave Hema/Amenra from this position.
Well, I’m faced with a difficult choice, gentlemen. Either go back and get my ass hurled into an asteroid by Chaozz, go ahead and get filled with holes by Amenra, or stay here and suffer both fates simultaneously.
Or I could try to get to Foreigner and microwave them from that position if the rest of you keep them occupied. Decisions, decisions, decisions. If anybody thinks they know the best course of action, I am listening.
[Squidhead] If you fly towards Foreigner they’ll hole you even more as you fly through open space there
[Taepilus] Yes, I’ve noticed that too. Looks like my best course of action would be to get out of the shadow and get them in my line of sight to microwave them while you, Foreigner and Karthus keep them occupied. I’ll probably get destroyed by the other two coming in from behind, but at least I’ll try to take one of the bastards down with me!
Well, looking at our loadouts, I suggest the following:
Karthus and Foreigner could try to attack Amenra while you deal with Dinosawer, considering both are heavily armed and she wouldn’t be able to respond to both at once since they’re coming in from different directions.
Meanwhile, Fawkes could attack Hema so that he can’t give supporting fire to Amenra.
I could go left, in front of the long boulder and try to aid you with the MFM from a distance while you deal with Dinosawer.
[Taepilus] I might potentially have a better idea, bear with me.
Perhaps, as an alternative, we could send Fawkes and Karthus to hold off Chaozz and BFett, while Foreigner and me go up against Amenra and Hema. Considering Hema has no great skill using the MFM, he probably won’t be a threat, so it is effectively a 2 to 1.5 battle. If we do this, we get the benefit of protecting our rear, but also lose the benefit of totally outnumbering these 3 here. Do any of you have any input on this?
[Karthus] I think the first plan is better, if we can way outnumber one group then we can take them out, then it's only bfett and Chaozz left.
[Taepilus] I’m also leaning towards the first plan, for now. So it’s two votes for the first plan.
[Foreigner] I can’t be sure about the extent of the hack, so MAINTAIN TOTAL RADIO SILENCE AND ACT INDEPENDENTLY.
You hear Pink Floyd begin playing over the comms.
[Foreigner] Hello, BFett. I know it must have been you. How is life on your side of the fence? Must be good, huh? By the way, what do you think about that hot chick you’ve got in your squad? Wouldn’t you want to... be left alone with her for a little while? Oh well, anyway, catch you later mate!
...and then his comms fall completely silent. Not just "nobody's talking" silent, but "comms are completely shut off" silent. It irritates you even further. Why?! Why do you always feel useless? WHY? It's just messed up. It's like nothing you do even matters.

"Idiots," you mutter. "Back on the Tartarus, here on the mission, everywhere." You've had enough of these idiots... and it's time for them to pay.

There's not much moving beyond the asteroid, now that you've arrived. You think you see a glitter of metal off to your left, but there's not much there. There is, however, someone off in the distance, accelerating straight towards you - unless you're wrong, it's Foreigner. Your lips twist into a snarl, and you spur your ship forwards with a powerful burst of the engines. The distance closes; you ready your hands on the controls for your neutron beam projector. You've always wanted a chance to test it, and it looks like now is the time. As you close in, you see the Tesla arc projector mounted atop Foreigner's ship begin to flicker with light, emitting a faint glow - he's getting ready to fire. His ship begins to glow red in several places, just as Dr. Cha0zz radios that he's firing his microwave manipulator. Hoping you're close enough, you ready the neutron projector, aim, and fire.

The muzzle of the weapon, suspended above your cockpit, begins to glow, increasing in intensity, brighter, and brighter, as the very metal of your cockpit begins to vibrate with potency. And then, seconds later - it fires. A colossal beam streams out, overbearingly bright, completely engulfing Foreigner's ship as it approaches. Just then, electricity arcs across your ship as Foreigner's Tesla projector courses its immense power towards you. Your console flashes, throws sparks and smoke, the engines behind you burn out and the only thing still firing is your neutron beam, firing away in complete disregard for the havoc Foreigner is trying to wreak. It can't be stopped. The seconds tick away - three - two - one - and the beam fades away in a whisper. Kills: 1

What's left of Foreigner's ship streams past you, and you turn your head to watch it - sparking electronics, crackling electricity, the molten remains of an engine, glowing white hot. Of the cockpit itself, there's almost nothing left - not even a charred corpse. It's actually difficult to tell where the cockpit was - the smoking, blobular mass is misshapen and irrecognizable. Then, on a sudden whim, you wonder - what about the antimatter in the engines?

No sooner does the thought cross your mind than Foreigner's ship explodes in an incandescent fireball that crumples your ship - for an instant you feel as though your skin burns - it burns -

- and everything goes dark.

Deaths: 1

~~~

You slowly awaken in the VR chamber. After unhooking your PSI Chair, you look about the room. It's almost pitch black except for a screen at the end of the room opposite the door, and the console in the center. The screen flashes with different views of the battle going on within the minds of your platoon mates all around you, and you sit watching it for a moment, before other movement in the room catches your eye. You squint through the darkness, and see Foreigner sitting on the far side, just getting up from his PSI Chair. It looks like you managed to kill each other.

Dr. Cha0zz
Send my drone towards foreigners last known position, if it doesn’t find foreigner there let it fly circles around the last known position until it spots foreigner. Once my drone spots foreigner, let it fly to his blind spot and use it to stalk foreigner from a distance.

Then I move my casket so that I get a visual on foreigner (using the drone data to locate him) and I use my magnetic field manipulator to smash foreigner into an asteroid (or in another enemy if there’s one close enough) followed by a shot from my microwave field manipulator with settings to ‘deadly’.

While flying towards a position that allows me to take a shot at foreigner, use the asteroids in such a way that they shield me from fire from the other enemies.

If an enemy comes into melee range before I reach foreigner: use my robotic arms to throw him away (preferably against an asteroid) and then continue my attack on foreigner

If an enemy comes into melee range after I have attacked foreigner and that enemy seems like he is going to attack me, use my pincers to damage his weapons (try to rip them off).

At any time, if I’m shot at I’ll try to dodge the shots. (If I hear them talk about shooting me, try to alter my flight path in such a way that I would evade the possible attackers)

Also, I use my enhanced spectrum cam to get around easily in the dark side of the asteroid field, to make sure that I’m not ambushed and to improve my accuracy when firing (it’s easier to fire at something that you can clearly see)

If for whatever reason I still can’t get to foreigner, attack another enemy that is at that moment in my line of sight.

If it looks like foreigner is going to shoot at me (or he talks about using his tesla-weapon in his comms) (and I’m in range of his weapon), quickly detach one of my scout-drones and fly it forward in his direction far enough so that the arcs of his tesla arc projector can’t jump from the drone to my ship. ((the drone gets hit and I don’t))

After all the above, find cover on the dark side of an asetroid.
You send your old drone - the last one you had used - back towards where Foreigner was last sighted. There's a bit of travel time in between there and the central asteroid, but your drone is a speedy little thing; it arrives there in short order. He's leaving his old hiding spot, headed towards - well, Hema and Dinosawer, it seems like.

You set the drone to stay somewhere out of the way so Foreigner can't see it. "Let's go get him, Jimmy," you say, gunning the engines.

"You got it, Dr. Cha0zz," your AI replies a little too swiftly. A slight smile creeps across your lips - it's too obvious that it's an AI. You could design a better one, if you knew how to program. But that's not your forte.

Traversing the giant asteroid is just as slow as last time, but it isn't too long before you're just breaking over the dark side, looking out over the dark expanse of space on the far side. BFett has almost caught up with you at this point, and you're trying to figure out where Foreigner is.

"Does this help, Dr. Cha0zz?" Jimmy asks. The screen in front of you switches to an infrared view, and you see Foreigner quite clearly, glowing a bright red - the only bright spot in the darkness. "Found you," you whisper, firing up your magnetic field manipulator, just as BFett flies past you. "Let's see if we can't smash you against a rock."

The controls for the magnetic field manipulator seem somewhat different than those for the microwave manipulator - even after inputing the variables as carefully as you could, it seems to miss completely... so you fall back to the microwave. Your hands fly, and within moments, you're ready to fire. And you do. You're quite pleased to find that Foreigner's ship begins to glow dully red in the distance - as though you managed to heat the thinner portions red-hot. You must've landed a pretty good hit.

As you try to park yourself in the shadow of the asetroid, you see a bright white glow in the distance - right where BFett and Foreigner are. A huge arc of electricity leaps away from their position, setting the surface of a smaller asteroid near them crackling before everything fades to darkness.

And then, a few seconds later, there's a blindingly bright explosion, and then another - bright enough to burn its image into your mind. You blink, widening your eyes as you try to stare into the darkness, but all you see is the frozen picture of the blast. You stare at it, almost unable to accept that this was rendered so well in a VR engine. That was antimatter, you're almost certain - and there was a lot of it, too.

Dinosawer

Code: Select all

Target priority for this turn: Whoever is shooting me/decides to shoot me > whoever shoots an ally/decides to shoot an ally> Karthus > whoever is closest> others>Foreigner
If a target is unavailable, refer to that to decide who I shoot

I’ll turn to Squidhead and strafe to the right to evade when he shoots at me (hoping he blows of that loose arm completely),
while firing my electrolaser aimed at him in his cockpit. 
If that didn’t kill him, 
and he has already fired (or is unable to),
        Fly back into melee range and stab his cockpit with my scythe.
    otherwise wait until he has fired and then do the above.
    If that still didn’t kill him 
        I’ll shoot with a single plasma ball from my Quantum cannon.

After that, fly up from the battlefield a bit (but still in the asteroid’s shadow)
Quickly look for a way to eject my damaged robotic arm, if there is one, use it.
If there’s a group of two enemies or more close together,
 rapidly launch a remote mine into the middle of the largest group, and detonate it when it reaches them (so more then one gets hit by the blast).
Else:
    launch a molten shell at someone’s drives.
If I still have unused weapons at this point:
    use them on an enemy/enemies. (single burst for the quantum cannon unless I get in short range).
     Do *not* engage Foreigner in melee. 

When Foreigner decides to use his Tesla arc abomination:
quickly fly closer to enemies (but *not* in front of their weapons), so he can’t hit me with his Tesla 
without hitting his allies OR fly out of range - whichever is easier.

When fired at, strafe to dodge. I like my aileron rolls, but in this case they’d have me slapping that loose arm on my hull. Unless I managed to eject it, in which case, aileron roll-strafe to dodge.
You hang back for a moment, watching Squidhead as he begins to accelerate you. He's charging? Really? He saw what you did last time you got in melee range. Is he insane? ...Well, actually, you did always think him a little... unusual. Maybe this is just a symptom. Without waiting any longer, you arm your electrolaser, firing at him - but you're pretty sure that this time, you missed entirely. And he's still coming. Just then, Squidhead fires at you with his quantum cannon - you dodge, strafing to the right, and it passes right by you. It's a single shot - it'll take some time to recharge. Feeling pretty good about your dodging prowess, you jam the accelerator. You're going to rip him wide open with your scythe, right down the center of his cockpit.

Then your luck goes from bad, to worse. Suddenly, the space between you, Squidhead, and the asteroid arcs with electricity - and with a smoky, electrical smell, your CASKET falls completely silent, just as another plasma fireball streams past your canopy - an even narrower miss. At least it looks like Squidhead's ship has lost power too - in fact, the smoke pouring from beneath the opened cockpit canopy makes you feel like perhaps Squidhead's ship was even less capable of handling Foreigner's arc projector.

But you're still on a collision course, and with no gravity - or inertial dampening - in the cockpit.

You try to reboot the thing, and to your immense relief, the ship looks like it's getting ready to start up again. You feel the gravity kick in - and that's when your luck falls out entirely. Squidhead's ship collides with yours - even with the inertial dampeners, you fly forward, your seat belt almost choking you through your spacesuit as it keeps you from hitting the controls...

Your head spinning, you open your eyes again, blinking. The entire right side of your ship seems totally demolished, along with your right robotic arm and the scythe. You're also careening through space, and probably lucky you survived - he seemed to expect you to dodge right again when he ejected. But Squidhead is nowhere to be seen - and your ship has lost power again. "EMERGENCY POWER FAILURE", the screens blink at you. You simply reach forwards to reboot the ship - that should work, right? For a moment, you struggle to figure out what you're doing wrong; why the power won't start. You're sure it's not damaged beyond repair... right?

And then you see something moving off to your left - you look in that direction hurriedly just in time to see a set of metallic appendages grab onto your hull, the clinking of his tentacles traveling plainly through your CASKET's hull. You see him ready a laser rifle, preparing to fire - but just as he does, he gets swept off your CASKET by your dangling left robotic arm, spinning off into the void. He's still out there somewhere, though... it's not over yet.

Hema
Briefly look for a control to change the intensity of my Microwave field manipulator, evade enemies while doing so, if necessary. Should Foreigner move to attack while I’m looking for the control, cancel the search and proceed immediately to the next action.

If a knob is found, then I’ll increase the power and intensity of my MFM, if not, set it to deadly.
Then get within clear line-of-sight of taepilus, take aim, and fire with the intent of killing.
After Taepilus is taken out, charge Karthus with my pincers. Attempt to rip out or tear up his cockpit.
If I lose sight of Taepilus before I fire, I'll try to take out Karthus instead. First with my MFM, and then my pincers.
In case Karthus isn't there, charge Taepilus with my pincers after shooting him. Try to cause as much damage to him, and his cockpit as possible.

Attempt to dodge if fired at at any time.
You start to look for a way to change the intensity of your Microwave field manipulator, but as soon as you try, you see a glint over near a distant asteroid to your right - Foreigner. It's hard to tell from this distance, but you get the feeling he might be coming to attack.

You immediately break off from the search and gun your engines, attempting to get within clear line-of-sight of Taepilus. And it isn't long before you see him - a little bright speck flicking along at the edge of a distant asteroid. You smile, narrowing your eyes and rapidly inputting the settings to fire, and slam your hand on the firing button as soon as the manipulator is armed, hoping you'll hit...

Whether you do or not, you can't tell - you're distracted by a burst of electricity that suddenly lights up the exterior of your cockpit. Sparks fly, and lightning arcs across your robotic arms. And then, just as suddenly, it fades... as do your lights. You've completely lost power, and you're pretty sure it has something to do with

((successful auxiliary roll)) But you're a sitting duck, where you are right now. In a rush, you flick at the controls, trying to shut off and reboot the main generator. It's an easy thing to do, but something, somewhere, seems broken... but it's hard to tell what, exactly. Fortunately, you're soon able to get your ship up and running again - on emergency power. A feeling of grim determination surges through your chest as you gun the engines, starting to accelerate towards Taepilus once more. You hear what BFett is piping over the comms. Only worth half a crew member, are you? Oh, you'll show him.

As you fly forwards, you completely ignore the battle raging between Squidhead and Dinosawer - their ships collide, spinning out of control, but you ignore it, continuing onwards towards your target. They'll take care of each other anyway... and Taepilus isn't that far now. It looks like your microwave manipulator hit - Taepilus isn't moving. When you finally reach him, you lash out with your robotic arms, smashing your pincers downwards onto his cockpit, grabbing at his engines and trying to destroy them with a tight squeeze. You're not the best roboticist in the world, but you're at least making some kind of progress. His rightmost engine is a little dented now... It's not much, but it's a good start.

You're not worth half a platoon member. Maybe he'll remember that from now on.

Fawkes
Start issuing commands (Like on Page 9 below the picture) while moving west out of the hollow. Aim at Amenra’s Generator/Computer and fire a maximum of 3 shots (Stop if she´s disabled in any way). Then aim at Hema shooting a maximum of 2 shots. If both enemies are disabled, take position near the center of the asteroid (as viewed on the map). Evade enemy fire when possible. Also ask Foreigner to give a warning, should a enemy come over the asteroids ridge behind me so i can try to evade their fire.
From your hidden position in the asteroid crater, you start issuing commands. "Karthus, you need to blink behind Amenra and Hema," you tell him. ((+1 leadership boost)) You're happy to see him blink immediately into position, exactly where you'd wanted him - but even as he does, Hema and Amenra are already moving away. That's fine, though - Foreigner is already moving into position to attack them.

"Foreigner, fire your Tesla arc projector at Hema, Amenra, and Dinosaur!" you order - even as you speak, a massive bolt of bright-white lightning arcs over towards Dinosawer and Squidhead's ships, getting Hema as well - the rest of it gets drawn towards the asteroid, arcing and spitting sparks among the smaller pebbles and boulders orbiting slowly near the surface. Just then, a screen over on your right starts flashing - "HACK ATTEMPT DETECTED - SHUT DOWN" it says. Must've been BFett, but at least he failed.

And then, that just leaves Squidhead... "Fire at Dinosawer, Squidhead!" you order - but at this point, the order is kind of useless. His ship appears to be totally fried. Meanwhile, Hema is trying to smash Taepilus to bits with his pincers, and Amenra is sitting in the asteroid field behind Karthus. You take careful aim at Amenra first, getting ready to fire three shots from your railgun. One, two, three, you fire, in rapid succession. It's difficult to tell where they go, but you fear you may have hit Karthus instead of Amenra.

Amenra's in a difficult spot to hit anyway, so you figure you'll maybe hit Hema instead. You turn his ship carefully in his direction, making sure you're aimed well, and fire two more shots. That's five of your ten railgun rounds already - and you think both of them missed.

((future reference - firing the same weapon multiple times in a single turn makes rolls a lot harder unless you're at a very high skill level. For one shot, I roll the die and add/subtract your bonus. For two shots, I roll two dice for each shot, and give you whichever roll was lower. For three shots, that's three dice. You fired five times in a turn. To get an unadjusted roll of 5, you would have to roll a 5 or 6 five times in a row - and that's for each shot. If they're different weapons, though, I don't do this.))

Foreigner
Damn it all.

Fly straight at Amenra and Hema, maximum acceleration. Fire the Tesla Arc Projector at the closest enemy; hope that electricity will leap and hit another one.

Play some Pink Floyd over the comms, low volume.

“Hello BFett, it must have been you. How is life on your side of the fence? Must be good, huh? By the way, what do you think about that hot chick you’ve got in your squad? Wouldn’t you want to...be left alone with her for a little while? Oh well, anyway, catch you later mate!”

Try switching off the comms and re-booting them; hopefully safeguards will kick in and wipe the memory, destroying the malicious code.

Fly over the asteroid (to position 2) and face whoever may come from there. IF the enemy is within range, try frying them with my Tesla Arc Projector; IF they are not, close the distance and fire at them. BFett is a priority target; he should be easy to recognise. Shoot him, hit him with robotic arms - anything.

Evade incoming fire.
Leaving your hiding spot, you accelerate towards Amenra and Hema, your engines going at full blast. They're both already leaving the area - Hema is heading in Dino's direction, while Amenra is gunning it - by the time you can get in range, she's already almost at Taepilus. "Damn it all," you mutter. You'll get both of them yet. Even knowing that Taepilus and Squidhead are likely to be affected too isn't enough to stop you - you're going to use that Tesla arc if it's the last thing you do.

At this point, Dinosawer is the closest; he's accelerating towards Squidhead. Looks like he's your first target. Throwing the appropriate switches, you start up your arc projector. "PAINTING TARGETS ... PRIMING ARC PROJECTOR" the related screens say. Meanwhile, you hear a light humming behind you, slowly increasing in intensity. You feel the hairs on your arms rise, even through the suit: it's an absolutely exhilarating feeling to wield so much power. You can feel it, and it hasn't even fired. ...But it's time to. "ARC PROJECTOR PRIMED" flashes in front of you in yellow lettering. You make sure you have a clear shot at Dinosawer's ship, and pull the trigger.

You hear the crack of lightning; the lights in your cockpit dim and flicker for a moment. You see electricity crackling across Dinosawer's ship, far in the distance - across Squidhead's, across Hema's - but something else happens you didn't quite expect. Asteroids tend to be metallic, right? The Tesla projector seems to have painted it as well: the light dust along the surface glows and crackles as massive waves of electricity arc across its surface, melting orbiting pebbles and searing scars into its surface. It's a fascinating display, but the calculating portion of yourself feels unhappy that you just used so much of your arc projector's power on a worthless display.

Well, not entirely worthless. Dinosawer, Hema, and Squidhead's ships are all sitting with darkened cockpits, apparently completely without power. You watch in amusement as Dinosawer and Squidhead's ships collide, throwing out a spray of metallic fragments that glitter under your headlights.

For now, you'll set it aside and talk to BFett. You know he hacked your comms, and you decide you might as well roll with it. Turning up the volume on your Pink Floyd album (as it turns out, you can "wish" for some things in the VR sim), you start talking over the comms. “Hello, BFett. I know it must have been you. How is life on your side of the fence? Must be good, huh? By the way, what do you think about that hot chick you’ve got in your squad? Wouldn’t you want to... be left alone with her for a little while? Oh well, anyway, catch you later mate!”

With that said, you shut off your comms completely, trying to reboot. There's some kind of odd disturbance around the small asteroid a little to your left - a number of smaller rocks and pebbles appear to be bouncing off of it, almost as if there was an invisible ship there, bulldozing everything. You don't remember anybody getting a cloaking device... curiously, you look around, trying to figure out exactly what's going on, as you switch your comms back on. The screens around you say the comms are clear, and so are the skies - at least, until you notice a ship coming towards you.

You recognize the build immediately - somehow you intuitively know. It's BFett. "Coming to finish the job, eh?" you rumble, starting things back up as you begin to move towards him. You keep a keen eye on his CASKET - Mk II, looks like, from its smooth, sleek form. You figure you have a surprise left for him. Your arc projector still has a lot of power on it. Wouldn't hurt to let some more loose, right?

He's charging you, almost head-on. You fire up your arc projector - "PAINTING TARGETS ... PRIMING ARC PROJECTOR" your screens blink. You close in, watching him carefully. You're not sure what his plans are, but you sure know what yours are: you're going to toast him. He's still near the asteroid, but closing in fast.

Suddenly, screens start flashing warnings: "THRUSTERS OVERHEATED" "STARBOARD ROBOTIC ARM OVERHEATED" "PRIMARY RCS TANK OVERHEATED" - one after another, your screens flash, blink, scroll - through the cockpit glass, you see the thinnest armor on the front of your ship begin to glow a dull, muddy red, and then brighter, until patches are almost orange-hot. Then your cockpit window grows smeary: the effects of a microwave field manipulator. Whether it was Hema or Dr. Cha0zz, you're not sure... you just know your ship wasn't designed to take it.

But your arc projector is just fine. You adjust your grip on the controls, your trigger finger itching to fire the beam. "Not yet," you whisper. "Let him get a little closer..."

And then, you fire.

BFett's ship lights up with streams of electricity - you see sparks flashing inside his cockpit. The asteroid over to your left flashes and sparks as well - but then you see an even brighter point emerge: a dim circle above his ship. It grows brighter, and brighter, and brighter over the course of the next few seconds, until suddenly -

- the beam hits you like nothing you've even heard of. It's a few blinding instants of unimaginable brightness. Even closing your eyes does absolutely nothing to dim it: it's pure, unfiltered white. Instants later, it blinds you completely, and everything is dark - and then you feel a short burst of pain as you burn from existence... Deaths: 1, CHIARA says... and that's all you hear.

~~~

You slowly awaken in the VR chamber. After unhooking your PSI Chair, you look about the room. It's almost pitch black except for a screen at the end of the room opposite the door, and the console in the center. The screen flashes with different views of the battle going on within the minds of your platoonmates all around you, and you sit watching it for a moment, before other movement in the room catches your eye. You squint through the darkness, and see BFett sitting on the far side, just getting up from his PSI Chair. It looks like you managed to kill each other.

Taepilus
Start flying westward, along the thin boulder. Once Amenra and Hema are distracted by others, get into a good position and start microwaving Dinosawer. If Squidhead is killed and Dinosawer is in a good shape and starts attacking me, fly towards the northern group. If the northern group was either unable to reform or, even worse, destroyed, flee towards and take cover behind the rock further westwards(the one which Foreigner is currently next to)
You start flying to the west, along the thin boulder off to the side. Fawkes is busy getting orders, and Foreigner is arguing with everyone and generally getting on your nerves. You're hoping you could microwave Dinosawer. It would be a pretty good thing for you to do right now, right?

Unfortunately, Amenra and Hema most certainly are not getting distracted by the others. Amenra is headed in your general direction - you intuitively know it's her. Perhaps it's an effect of the VR sim? You're still flying westward, though - and she's following you. Karthus has already warped to the far side of the field - it's you she's going for. She's diving straight at you.

But then, just like that, she pulls off. She didn't even fire. Maybe she chickened out.

Someone sure didn't, though. Just then, your ship crackles with electricity, and you see parts of the side of your hull begin to glow red-hot. And then, your power goes out - all of it - only to flicker back on a few seconds later, flashing red: "EMERGENCY POWER ACTIVATED". Only Dr. Cha0zz and Hema have microwave field manipulators, as far as you know - and that's surely what this is the result of.

Then, you hear a loud crack, and your right robotic arm move jerks to the left slightly, as though something was pushing on it. It's soon followed by a second sharp crack, somewhere behind your head. It sounds like someone is firing railgun rounds at you... but who would be doing that? Amenra? She's nowhere in sight.

But you don't even have time to think about that - Hema's on you now. He was probably the one that toasted you with his microwave manipulator - and he seems to be taking it personally. He's going at you with his robotic arms, trying to crush your engines with your pincers - and you're sitting dead in the water.

Karthus
Activate blink drive to past Amenra far enough that i wont be hit by the Tesla. Prioritize avoiding fire and then shoot Amenra with my gauss untill Amenra’s disabled then shoot dino with my particle gun.
On Fawkes' command, you turn in the direction of where you last saw Hema and Amenra, blinking past them.

~~~

It's a perfect blink - you landed absolutely exactly where you wanted. You seem to be pretty good at this.

Or it's beginner's luck. Either way, you're where you needed to be. Firing the thrusters, you rotate your ship back around to get a good view of where Amenra was the last time you saw her - except she's not there anymore. You have to really, really stare out into the darkness for a moment to figure out where she went: it looks like she headed straight towards Taepilus. Still good - she won't have much of a target.

And so, for one reason or another, you take out your Gauss rifle, taking aim. Yeah, you're in a cockpit. Yeah, your Gauss rifle is a sniper's best friend, but isn't this a little silly? Or - perhaps you're trying to be stealthy... Either way, you put the scope up to your eye and look through it, sighting your target. Yesssss, there she is, only a kilometer away... you could make this shot... right?

You pull the trigger.

There's a loud cracking noise as the round smacks into your cockpit canopy, sliding and ricocheting into a gap near the front, above the control panel. Well, that qualified as a miss. Maybe another round will help... you reload your Gauss rifle. Amenra seems to be approaching you - it should be even easier to hit.

CRACK. Nope, another definite miss. Maybe a third... of course, maybe firing your Gauss rifle in an enclosed cockpit isn't the smartest thing you've ever done, but it's definitely not the dumbest, either. The only trouble is, this time, you can't seem to figure out where Amenra is at all.

And this time, you hear an even louder crack - the windshield itself. The hole is far too large to be a regular Gauss round, though: it looks like a railgun made it. You almost yelp as you realize how close the round came to missing your shoulder - it literally went right above your right shoulder - there's a hole there big enough for you to stick a couple suited fingers in. The air has already evacuated the cockpit - you're lucky you were suited up.

You feel a second impact - this one hit somewhere behind you, or above you. Power is still holding stable, but the top engine seems to be doing poorly...

And you lean forwards, peering at the hole the first railgun round made in the cockpit canopy. You know what you want to do... you want to shoot... shoot your Gauss rifle in it.

Squidhead
Accelerates towards dino, ready to evade any incoming fire.
Jams the trigger (as good as possible), that the qcannon fires continuously.
Opens up the canopy and grabs the rifles, bracing for ejecting.
Nudges his accelerating ship towards a collision course, slightly off-center to give dino a single optimal direction for his evasive maneuver.
The ship turned in a way that squids cockpit lines up with dinos evasive vector.
Jumps out of the ship shortly before the collision/near miss, in the direction of dinos projected evasive maneuver.
Uses the thrusterpack to maneuver to dinos ship, trying to land next to his cockpit.
While on approach “on foot” fire the electrorifle on dinos scythe arm, trying to disable it.
If the arm gets disabled or the “landing” is successful, take the laser rifle and shoot on dino in his cockpit.
You accelerate towards Dinosawer, ready to evade any oncoming fire. He does fire - predictably - with his electrolaser. You guess where he's going to be firing and swerve to the side: he misses completely. If you had a mouth, you'd be smiling.

You need to jam the button for the quantum cannons - and the only way you can think of doing that is breaking it. You pick up your lasgun, and smash the butt of it against the firing trigger. The first hit doesn't break it, but the second hit certainly does. Looking ahead of the ship, you see that Dinosawer has started accelerating towards you. Even better, you think.

Just then, electricity arcs between your ships, flashing across your robotic arms - seems like Foreigner fired his Tesla Arc. Dinosawer's lights go out - and so do yours. Electricity arcs across your control panel - you smell the sharp, pungent odor of smoke. Your screens crack; electricity arcs between them. You don't even have to run a diagnostic check to know. Foreigner managed to totally destroy your ship. Grumbling and spitting obscenities, you slide the canopy back.

This is just like Chilendorn.

Dinosawer's inertia is keeping him traveling straight for you - it's going to be a head-on collision, with you aiming a little for the left of his ship - right at his scythe. Perfect.

Just before the collision, you leap from the cockpit, firing your thruster pack full power to slow yourself down, as you watch the near-destruction of the two ships. Yours rips into the side of Dinosawer's, completely shredding the extended robotic arm, embedding the scythe deep within itself and ripping the whole assemblage off Dinosawer's CASKET - its shears off a large portion of the right side of Dinosawer's ship, smashing off one of the engines. Millions of tiny flecks of metallic debris spin out into space, floating gracefully away as Dinosawer's ship begins to careen slowly...

You fly over towards him and land, as best as you can, on the undamaged portion of Dinosawer's ship, right next to the cockpit, aiming at him with your lasgun. Just then, something hits you - some loose piece of debris, and it flings you back into space. You're not hurt, you don't think, and your thruster pack is still functional. You'll get another chance to try again.

((
((future reference - firing the same weapon multiple times in a single turn makes rolls a lot harder unless you're at a very high skill level. For one shot, I roll the die and add/subtract your bonus. For two shots, I roll two dice for each shot, and give you whichever roll was lower. For three shots, that's three dice. You fired five times in a turn. To get an unadjusted roll of 5, you would have to roll a 5 or 6 five times in a row - and that's for each shot. If they're different weapons, though, I don't do this.))
Noted :oops: I knew, there was some kind of penalty...but i didn´t think it´d be that bad...BTW: I´ve hit Karthus and Taepilus twice each, right? Where´s the 5. shot :ghost:
Also...If I were to fire my remaining shots at someone of my team...how big is the chance, that i hit an enemy :squirrel:
At least Karthus can now shoot out of the cockpit :lol: ))
Apparently, sometimes stuff might happen.
- - - - - - - -

Online Now