Re: REKT: Armory Suggestions (R&D)

Dinosawer wrote:YAY \o/

I'll be honest, I just like inventing these things. :ghost:

infantry, unconventional, two-handed
Kinetic Battlestaff
Spoiler:      SHOW
  Ammo: none
  Requirements: none
  Description: A 2 meter long metal rod, the two ends of which are implanted with the same tech we use in the Kinetic Gauntlet. If you hit something with this thing it really hurts. Its length and leverage gives it more power than the gauntlets, but you need both hands to use this thing. Good for parrying and extreme baseball.
Using this as walking stick might make the floor collapse.
I thought it was cool, mostly :ghost:

Edit: something vaguely like this, where the part in the middle is normal metal and the outer parts are kinetic stuff. Image
Neato! I kind of like this. I feel like it ought to be a very highly specialized weapon, though, so we would only see one person with it. I'll have to think on how to properly do that.

A New Challenger wrote:Per IRC discussion:

Infantry, Unconventional(?), Thrown(?)
Plasma Pilum
Credits: 0
Ammo: 3
Requirements : ???
Description: Initally contained in an 25cm housing cylinder, upon activation, both ends telescope out, one becoming a plasma wrapped spear head, the other a counterweight. Battery inside last approximately (?), so aim before you turn it on.
I think I remember liking this. I still like this. This could go in. Feels odd to me though - out of place somehow. I'll think on it. I may be able to think of a way to integrate it better.
Dinosawer wrote:As discussed in IRC. Not really needed for now, but later on when expensive robotics are used:

Armored robotic arm armored arm armor for your arms-armed armored robotic arms
  Requirements: +0 robotics
  Description: Makes your robotic arms not fall off as soon as they're hit with a pebble.
  Price: 1 or 2 creds per arm? dunno
Mostly so we don't forget :ghost:
Important to have arm armored arm armor for your arms-armed armored robotic armored arms.
Triggerhappy wrote:AHAG
Active Homing Assault Grenade
Packs of 3, 1(???) Cred per pack.
This is an explosive slightly larger then a normal grenade.
Has thrusters, as well as a very small computer.
Throw it in the enemy direction, and it will calculate the optimal place to land, so as to damage as many people as possible. ( People include allies too, it has trouble distinguishing between friend and foe... )
Is actually quite fun in 0-g ; throw it at the general direction of the enemy, and it can pilot itself around corners at the opponent.
Not much thruster fuel.
Same strength as a normal grenade.

(( Perhaps a +1 bonus when using this grenade? ))
...doable, I suppose... Somewhat. This feels like a tough decision to me. +1 bonus seems fair. Price, don't know. Should it use regular stats? also don't know. Is it actually physically feasible to throw a baseball with thrusters and expect it to correct large deviations? I really don't know.
Grimm wrote:Gauss Cannon
Type: Heavy infantry conventional weapon. Requires two slots to equip.
Ammo: 5 round clip, first clip is free, extra clip costs ? credits
Requirements: Energy +2 and +2 conventional
Rolls: Conventional + Energy vs Maneuverability + Intuition
Price: ? creds
Description: With depleted Uranium tipped slugs, a calibrated sniper scope and a barrel thicker than my- actually nevermind that, this is the weapon you need when you want to show someone exactly what you think of them, by blowing a load right through their face. Like Cyanide to idiots, goats to research ships and pinwheels to squad 56, the Gauss Cannon is the perfect solution for your sorry ass. Use it, Love it, Worship it, and whatever you do you simple-minded piece of fecal matter, don't fire it inside your Casket. You're expendable, but think of the guy who'll have to pick pieces of you out of the air vents.
  • Very Big
  • Very Heavy
  • Very Deadly
  • Must be fired properly or recoil alone will turn your bones into a finely grinded paste
  • Not for Idiots, Pinwheel makers or goats.
After some tweaking, this sounds good to me.

Dinosawer wrote:Since the normal AI can't attack enemies for understandable reasons of balance:
Combat AI
  Requirements: +2 aux, doesn't use an aux slot
  Description: Like the normal ship AI, except this one is actually able to attack enemies. Give it one of your guns and have fun destroying your enemies with a hailstorm of fire. Uses your stats and skills. Works better if you have turrets.
  Price: somewhere between 5 and 8 creds? :think:
This should be in. I like it. 5-8 creds seems fair, too - perhaps on the lower end.
Dinosawer wrote:PUDDING (exotic, ship weapon)
  Price: 5/6 creds?
  Ammo: 5 cartridges, 2 creds per extra set of 5
  Requirements: PSI +1
  Description: stands for Particle Uniformisation Device for Demolition and Interception with Nanobot Globules
A launcher for small nanobot globules programmed for a very specific purpose: turning enemies into goo. Literally. When they hit something, the nanobots will alter the molecular structure to an inflammable yellow non-newtonian fluid, gradually spreading through the enemy ship until they run out of power, at which point they will ignite and the affected parts will vaporise in a small flash. (flash might blind enemies, but does not deal notable explosive damage.)

  More details:
  • Transmutating armor is significantly slower but is possible with sufficient skill.
  • Keeps doing damage over turns: every turns it rolls PSI with a gradually raising difficulty modifier, the first turn you fail your roll it stops and ignites the goo.
  • Can deal a lot of damage if you have a lot of PSI
  • Limited ammo and takes several turns to reach its full potential, making it better fit for larger threats.
  • Compared to the nanomorph gun it’s more focused on damage and less on flexibility.

I'll be honest, I just wanted something for that acronym for jokes :ghost:
But I think it's cool, something that slowly eats parts of enemy ships and does more damage over time the higher your PSI gets.
How could I not? May make slight tweaks. Would be in post-mission 1, of course.
Dinosawer wrote:SCANS Helm (infantry, helmet upgrade)
  Price: 1 or 2 creds, depending on how it works
  Requirements: nothing/robotics+0?
  Description: stands for SCanning and Augmented Nocturnal Spectrum Helm
Performs the electrical, thermal and radiative scans you normally need a PDA for, keeping your hands free to do other things. Good for recon characters.
Doesn’t contain X-ray vision, so stop trying to look through the suit of that hot chick of squad 4, you perv.
  More details:
Could be a passive effect or roll robotics, dunno.
Was mentioned by Tal on IRC, so I posted it here.
If I make it a little more expensive, I might just give you that x-ray vision, too. For later, of course.
A New Challenger wrote:Finally decided just to throw this out there after numerous mentions and ideas on IRC.

Powered Armor (infantry, suit upgrade)
Price: 4 or 5
Ammo: None
Requirements: Nothing/Energy +1/+2?
Description: Take pieces from an Exosuit, stuff them in Heavy Armor, and you get this. Requires some strength (or maybe training?) to use, but the Exosuit components inside assist movement, allowing the user to move as though they weren't wearing 1/4 tons of metal. No, it doesn't make you invincible. No, it doesn't make you stronger. So stop stepping into enemy fire and crushing yourselves, this shit ain't free.
More Details: Protection of Heavy Armor, but without the Str/Agi loss, thanks to the assistance of Exosuit components. Tried to make it fairly balanced compared to most other "Power Armor".

Didn't have time to think of a fancy acronym, and the description is bleh, but I wantz it.
Tentative "yes" with some adjustments, later on.

Triggerhappy wrote:IDunno is building some fortifications, and this came up in my mind:

Puff Crate Dispenser
Cost: 2 Cred
Ammo: Limited to how much mass you put in it
Requirements: 1 Aux Slot, 1 Maneuverability
Rolls: Maneuverability + Aux

Ever wanted to build a really big sand castle? Well, here you go. This peace of fine construction technology lets you scoop dirt or stone and turn it into light, cement-like material that hardens within minutes of being placed. Great for building fortifications, blocking off passage ways, or building castles.

- Comes with an extendable scoop that can pick up dirt, sand, and even shred stone for material.
- Converts both liquids and solids into Puff Crate, a light, cement-like material.
- Takes some skill to maneuver your casket when placing this stuff.
- Placing exotic materials into it may jam it and require repair.
This feels weird. I don't think I'd want to add it. It doesn't fit the gameplay. (That's a no.)

BFett wrote:The yo-yo

Roles unconventional
Able to inflict blunt damage to organic targets up to three feet away.
Fits in utility pocket
Can be equipped with retractable blades that activate when the yo-yo hits the end of its rope
Rope made out of carbon nano-tubes which is not easily cut through by spinning blades
Yo-yo can also be equipped with a taser to deliver a shock to enemies which come in contact with it

Possible other attachments that I am not thinking of.

(May require a special glove to be warn to prevent loss of circulation to finger)
This doesn't feel like an unconventional weapon to me. That's not a "no", though, more a "I'll think about it".
Triggerhappy wrote:I realize that Tal still is deciding whether to accept my 'battle cannon' idea, so I decided I would clean the thought up a bit.

SASHA Battle Cannon
A massive weapon featuring three minigun-style rotating barrels, a modular shield, modular sights, modular barrels. This cannon has a smaller fire-rate then a minigun, but being a gauss weapon rather than a gunpowder weapon means longer range, better accuracy and better armor penetration. The larger explosive slugs that this gun fires, however, lowers the range and armor penetration of relative to a standard Gauss Rifle, in return for much more impact damage.

Due to the weapon's grand weight, it is difficult to swing around quickly. You also don't want to be walking or moving at all when firing it.

Requirements - +2 Strength, 3 Infantry Slot Items, Two-handed

Rolls - Attacker's Conventional Weaponry and Strength vs Defender's Intuition and Maneuverability

Barrels -
Short-Barrel - Permits for a significant additional fire-rate, lowering accuracy and overheating the gun much faster. Is also lighter than the alternative.
Long-Barrel - Improves range and accuracy of the slugs, and allows a longer continuous firing time, in return lowering fire-rate and mobility of the weapon significantly.

Shield -
Riot Mini-shield - A half-sized riot shield mounted at the base of the barrels, while provides less protection to the user, guarantees that the weapon and user are well protected from directly in front of the weapon.
Forcefield - A moderately powerful energy shield that covers 180 degrees around the user and weapon. Deflects MOST weapon fire. However, enough damage to the shield will force the whole thing to collapse, and you will need to wait some time before it goes up again. The shield draws power from the cannon directly, so while the shield is re-charging, the weapon's fire-rate falls dramatically. Due to the weight of the shield generator, the weapon is the same in weight as the riot shield alternative.

Sights -
Tactical - Created a tactical overlay over your visor, highlighting targets as well as the slug's ballistic cone. Slightly improves accuracy, as well as how fast you notice, select, and switch between targets.
Optical - A simple installation featuring a laser, as well as infrared and normal cameras. Wired directly into your visor. Allows you to see through smoke, as well as zoom in on targets and determine their distance from you. The Laser also improves your accuracy in close quarters.
Holy carp, that's OP. Nooooooope. Way too powerful to be an infantry weapon of any kind, and doesn't fit at all with the system. I mean, it "fits" with the system? But only as much as you can shove a square peg through a round hole with a sledgehammer. Eventually you might get it through, but... well, I digress. Nope.

Dinosawer wrote:Too soon?
Eh, whatever. :ghost:
Shower idea:
Nanobot limb (exotic, anatomical upgrade)
  Price: 1 cred per limb?
Rolls: PSI for reform, PSI + maneuverability for combat use, none for "normal limb use"
  Description: Instead of all those boring metal limbs, why not go full body horror with these nanobot limbs? With the power to shift into any form you like, these arms are useful for people who forget where they put their screwdriver, or who like stabbing people with arms made of blades. (Seriously, stop watching so much anime)
Normally looks like a normal arm when unshifted - if normal arms were made of quicksilver, that is.

  More details:
  • Not very though to weapons fire, but of course, nanobots can just close holes again, which just makes your arm a bit smaller
  • Cannot form things with more volume than your limb, because physics
  • Nanobots restocked after mission unless you manage to lose your arm
  • Only fit for arms and legs, probably most useful for arms unless you're a monkey
  • Parts cut off stop functioning until reattached, and are too gooey to be useful (no fashioning spears for your cavemen friends)
  • Nanobots do not multiply
  • Reforming to anything that's not an arm doesn't work on Tartarus, don't try it
While I like the idea, there's far, far too much potential for unstoppable abuse. I can see people doing all kinds of things with a magical "be anything you want it to be" arm. I don't like that. It's impossible to plan for, and could screw up mission pacing incredibly easily. (Not to mention that I would expect to get in constant arguments about whether it should roll/what it should roll.) So... no.

Dinosawer wrote:You lazy bum :ghost:

Idea 1 (got a couple more brewing, but they need more work):
Kinetic reversal amp (exotic ship weapon)
  Price: 2 creds
  Requirements: Exotic +0
Rolls: Attacker's PSI Unit and Exotic vs defender's Maneuverability and Durability
  Description: The kinetic reversal amp is a nifty piece of tech with the ability to project a small 2-dimensional field. This field does one thing, and one thing only: it reverses the momentum vector of anything* that hits it. In other words, if something hits it, it suddenly finds itself flying backwards to where they came from, at the same speed.
Ideal for playground bullies and other people who like saying "why are you hitting yourself?" to their foes.
  More details:
  • Field is about CASKET-sized
  • Field lasts for less than a turn
  • Field can take about 1 "normal" attack impact and then evaporates
  • Can reverse anything up to a CASKET moving at normal speed
  • Heavier things just slow down and heat up (because physics)
  • Reflects attacks back at attacker with proper timing and aim
  • Works on plasma, but not on beam weapons
  • Range of about 2 km
Possibly quite useful for its price, but specialized and requires you to either be clever or wait until you actually get shot at. Tried to impose enough limits that it's a tool/weapon and not an invincible shield.

Also, needs a better name or an acronym :ghost:
Interesting, but I don't see a specific use for it. Its level of specialization is incredibly high to the point that I doubt anyone would bring it on a mission that wasn't specifically designed for it.
Dinosawer wrote:In that case, I'll just dump the ideas and leave the power and price-determining to you ;)

Idea 2/n:
Cryo psy-amp (exotic ship weapon)
  Price: ?
  Requirements: Exotic +0
Rolls: Attacker's PSI Unit and Exotic vs defender's Intuition and Durability
  Description: A psi amp capable of moving heat away from a spot and dissipate it in the surrounding matter. In other words, a freeze ray! Except it's not a ray. Can cool things to a few kelvin. Brrrr!
  More details:
  • Can make smaller spots extremely cold or larger spots frozen
  • Cannot directly freeze stuff shielded by metal (enough cooling penetrates it eventually, though)
  • Frozen armor and metal becomes brittle and will shatter on impact
  • Localised freezing causes tears and shredding due to thermal compression
  • Freezing electronics tends to disable them until they're back on temperature
  • Freezing people tends to disable them permanently
  • Makes great popsicles
Able to do some direct damage, but more useful as support item to set up kills for your teammates (or yourself)
This seems like an incredibly powerful instagib weapon. Would have to be priced high. This isn't a "no", though - I just think it needs to be later in the game. Good call on making it ship-based, poor call on making it Exotic +0.

In summary: some neat ideas, not many I need to add "right now", and I really need to invent some more regular exotic infantry items pronto. Guess I know how I'll be spending my weekend.
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

SMAGG ( Ship Mounted Assault Gatling Gun )
  Ammo: Overheats, one long burst per turn.
  Requirements: None
  Description: Ship mounted minigun on steroids.
  More details: Medium-close range. Ineffective against armor. Decent aim, but you'll probably hit anyway if you fire long enough. Screws over infantry big time. Very good at chewing up unarmored targets in general.
Different ammo belts?

I wanted this so I would not have to get someone to mount a minigun on my ship on the mission.

Ninja Edit: Gatling Guns! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jpcvh1Gyy-s

Talvieno wrote: Interesting, but I don't see a specific use for it. Its level of specialization is incredibly high to the point that I doubt anyone would bring it on a mission that wasn't specifically designed for it.
It can be used in any mission where things shoot at you.
Dinosawer wrote:In that case, I'll just dump the ideas and leave the power and price-determining to you ;)
Talvieno wrote: This seems like an incredibly powerful instagib weapon. Would have to be priced high. This isn't a "no", though - I just think it needs to be later in the game. Good call on making it ship-based, poor call on making it Exotic +0.
I think you're imagining this way more powerful than I did - I imagined it doing the damage of, say, the particle gun when used locally, and softening though baddies for your friends when used on a larger area.

Talvieno wrote: In summary: some neat ideas, not many I need to add "right now", and I really need to invent some more regular exotic infantry items pronto. Guess I know how I'll be spending my weekend.
-Plasma whip (one handed exotic)
-Infantry pudding rifle :ghost:
Warning: do not ask about physics unless you really want to know about physics.
The LT IRC / Alternate link || The REKT Wiki || PUDDING

Disco Ball Grenade
  Ammo: 2
  Requirements: an arm
  Rolls: only if you aim too low Unconventional
  Description: Pull the pin, toss at a cluster of enemies (or friends) and duck in cover fast. In two seconds the grenade will activate, first targeting a maximum of ten people within fifteen meters, then out of its many orifices it shall spit a hail of lead at each one. Unlike you, it doesn't discriminate, so don't you dare be in range and line of sight when it goes off. These are free because they're handy for weeding out the complete morons even faster than the short-range Rocket Launcher.
  More details: Does not actually resemble a Disco ball. Good against unarmored targets, likely useless against anything with more than a trenchcoat on. Ideal for very quickly clearing a group of things. Extremely dangerous to allies; seriously, be careful where you toss it!
Knowledge is Power, and Power goes in Cars.
I-War 2 thread
Epic Limit Theory Limerick

Talvieno wrote:
Dinosawer wrote:Too soon?
Eh, whatever. :ghost:
Shower idea:
Nanobot limb (exotic, anatomical upgrade)
  Price: 1 cred per limb?
Rolls: PSI for reform, PSI + maneuverability for combat use, none for "normal limb use"
  Description: Instead of all those boring metal limbs, why not go full body horror with these nanobot limbs? With the power to shift into any form you like, these arms are useful for people who forget where they put their screwdriver, or who like stabbing people with arms made of blades. (Seriously, stop watching so much anime)
Normally looks like a normal arm when unshifted - if normal arms were made of quicksilver, that is.

  More details:
  • Not very though to weapons fire, but of course, nanobots can just close holes again, which just makes your arm a bit smaller
  • Cannot form things with more volume than your limb, because physics
  • Nanobots restocked after mission unless you manage to lose your arm
  • Only fit for arms and legs, probably most useful for arms unless you're a monkey
  • Parts cut off stop functioning until reattached, and are too gooey to be useful (no fashioning spears for your cavemen friends)
  • Nanobots do not multiply
  • Reforming to anything that's not an arm doesn't work on Tartarus, don't try it
While I like the idea, there's far, far too much potential for unstoppable abuse. I can see people doing all kinds of things with a magical "be anything you want it to be" arm. I don't like that. It's impossible to plan for, and could screw up mission pacing incredibly easily. (Not to mention that I would expect to get in constant arguments about whether it should roll/what it should roll.) So... no.
Variation:
Nanobot Fingers/Hand
Requirements: psi or robotics, not sure.
Cost: 2-3 ish?
Blob of nanobots that replaces one hand from the wrist downwards.
Enables finer manipulations than with your own fingers or most specialised tools of similar size.
Can provide a large variety of micro cutters, welders, manipulators, probes and cell and bone regenerators.
Gives +1 to handiwork and hacking when the user already somewhat knows what hes doing (when the relevant skill is higher than some treshhold. -2? 0?)
Can also serve as okay shiv in a pinch (unarmed combat +) and is good at finding cracks in things and sticking to surfaces.
The weakish bots make it harder to carry heavy objects, but the objects they can carry are held onto tightly.

Since we still need something for low-grade ship exotic

Electrostatic Psy Amp (exotic ship weapon)
  Price: 2 creds
  Requirements: None
Rolls: Attacker's PSI Unit and Exotic vs defender's Intuition and Durability
  Description: Control electricity with your mind! Kill flies, and overload your friend's PDA! This amp lets you directly manipulate electric flows and charges... if the flows aren't too powerful and the charges not too large. Still, can be useful, as most electronics is sensitive to even small zaps and biological organisms don't like being a conductor.
  More details:
  • Can produce currents in conductors or make cool lightning zaps
  • Lightning looks cooler than it is
  • Can disable electronics (temporarily)
  • Direct zap hit does some damage, but not a whole lot
  • If you really want to be Zeus you should buy a Tesla Arc or Electroshell instead
  • More control than the electrolaser but less direct damage
Last edited by Dinosawer on Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
Warning: do not ask about physics unless you really want to know about physics.
The LT IRC / Alternate link || The REKT Wiki || PUDDING

Online Now