Return to “REKT”

Re: REKT: Mission Thread

Foreigner wrote:
Blob? Ishhhh? Hey, ishhh, you dumb Li-eating piece of U refuse, get you shit together and get to the hangar, NOW as in NOW YES I AM ALREADY HERE, not one of those 'somewhere in the timeline' nows your kind uses when you need to pay taxes.

Now, be a good ^ko and come out, and I'll give you an entire metal bar to eat.

IF there's no gravity, use the tether to swing (Tarsan-style but parallel to the floor) towards the airlock. IF there's still gravity, run there and back. Look for ishhh and put him into one of my pockets. Return to the casket. Get inside, buckle up, start the engine, take off and fly towards Tartarus.

Give ishhh my metal bar to eat.

Dock.
Survivor of the Josh Parnell Blackout of 2015.

Turn 57

Squad 1: BFett, Dr. Cha0zz, Karthus

BFett
Spoiler:      SHOW
BFett wrote:Belt in, carefully lift off from the hanger and cautiously exit the hanger (making sure that the ship doesn't hit anything while it's exiting the hanger).

"SCAMPS this is BFett. Requesting permission to dock."

Docks at the location SCAMPS provides.
You buckle in and carefully lift off from the hangar floor, and then exit, making sure to fly carefully. "SCAMPS, this is BFett. Requesting permission to dock."

Caustic and sarcastic as ever, SCAMPS replies, "BFett, stopped by here to pick you up. If you really think we're going to come all the way here just to laugh at you and close our hangar bays, then maybe you should stay behind. Otherwise, head in to bay 56. You're part of the 56th division, and you'd better remember that."

"Don't be so touchy," you mutter, landing in the appropriate docking bay on a little section of the tarmac hastily spraypainted "BFett". You shut down your engines and let your generator spool to a stop.

You're back.

Karthus
Jetison333 wrote:make my way to the Tartarus and dock if I have time
You head upwards towards the Tartarus' massive frame, following your other squadmates. SCAMPS is busy yelling at BFett, while Foreigner and Dr. Cha0zz seem to be lagging behind. You arrive before most other people in the end, landing on your spot in bay 56. They spraypainted it "Karthus" just for you, but they hardly did a good job. In the end, though, it doesn't matter.

You're back.

Dr. Cha0zz
Cha0zz wrote:Take my sticky frag grenade and leave my ship (attach my tether), throw the grenade in the middle of the generator room (without leaving the vicinity of my ship) (goal: disable the power reactor of the alien base), enter my ship and perform the lift off procedure, fly towards the tartarus and initiate the docking sequence, dock in the docking bay that is appointed to me.
Realizing your time is short, you decide to blow up the last generator on the alien base for one reason or another. Attaching your tether quickly to your suit, you leave your ship, just far enough to toss your sticky frag into the room - as close to the generator as possible. True to its name, it gets stuck to the back wall right where it lands; you hurriedly get back into your ship and close the canopy just as a little piece of shrapnel pings against the glass. The artificial gravity disappears in an instant - it looks like your throw was a decent one.

Taking off and exiting the hangar, you fly upwards towards the Tartarus - it's a long flight, but they've still parked close enough for you to reach it shortly. A series of autoturrets follow you in as you land in hangar 56, in a spot hastily marked "Dr. Cha0zz"... right next to an empty one marked "Watt". Maybe she didn't make it home, but you sure did. You feel somewhat numb, and as you open the canopy and begin to climb out of your seat, you remember something you'd forgotten about:

Your back.

Squad 3: Foreigner, Kai'isha

Foreigner
outlander4 wrote:
Foreigner wrote:
Blob? Ishhhh? Hey, ishhh, you dumb Li-eating piece of U refuse, get you shit together and get to the hangar, NOW as in NOW YES I AM ALREADY HERE, not one of those 'somewhere in the timeline' nows your kind uses when you need to pay taxes.

Now, be a good ^ko and come out, and I'll give you an entire metal bar to eat.

IF there's no gravity, use the tether to swing (Tarsan-style but parallel to the floor) towards the airlock. IF there's still gravity, run there and back. Look for ishhh and put him into one of my pockets. Return to the casket. Get inside, buckle up, start the engine, take off and fly towards Tartarus.

Give ishhh my metal bar to eat.

Dock.
"isssss-hh, you dumb Li-eating piece of U refuse, get your shit together and get to the hangar - now, as in, "YES, I AM ALREADY HERE", not one of those "somewhere in the timeline" nows your kind uses when you need to pay taxes," you yell, leaping away from your ship and running towards the airlock with your metal spear in hand. When you arrive, you find him sitting calmly on the floor; you scoop him up and turn to start towards your ship. No sooner do you, though, than you feel a slight tremor beneath your feet, and the gravity shuts off.

Using the line of your tether like a rope, you swing back towards your ship Tarzan-style. Reeling yourself in, you manage to grab the edge of the cockpit and sink into your seat, closing the canopy above you. After isssss-hh is appropriately distracted with your Imminent Death Spear, you start up your ship. The controls are finicky, and your CASKET vibrates dangerously as you lift off the ground; it's all you can do to keep it from spinning as you exit the hangar. The flight up to the ship is somewhat easier, if slow; by the time you arrive, everyone else has already docked far ahead of you. This means you got to see where everyone else went: docking bay 56. Sure enough, there's a spot with your name on it: Foreigner - right next to the crumpled remains of Kai'isha's cockpit and three empty spaces where your former squad members would've been. You land, breathing a sigh of relief as you finally shut off the helm of the piece of garbage REKT called a ship.

You're back.

isssss-hh
CSE wrote:Doing: grab the metal bar and taste it.

Thinking: that's a nice guy giving me a meal. Probably not as spicy as the sphere, but my meiose-cousin always say to never refuse a free lunch.

Saying: thanks and enjoy your meal!
You feel the floor beneath you shake with an explosion, just as Foreigner arrives, scooping you up in his arms - and then the gravity goes out. Foreigner seems nonplussed by it, using his tether to swing himself back to his ship. As soon as he's safely back inside, he puts you beside him on top of a metal bar and tells you it's yours to eat. You happily begin munching your way through it. Foreigner's a pretty nice guy to give you a meal like that - the only one that's intentionally give you any of his belonging to eat. It's not your first choice, but your meiose-cousin always said to never refuse a free lunch. You certainly don't intend to. "Thanks!" you tell him, sinking into the metal bar and thinking of to your younger days, when you would play with your cousins in the shadow of your local star... While it's not as spicy as the sphere, and not as delectable as Francis's horn might've been, it really does take you back.

Squad 4: Dinosawer, Francis (with isssss'hh), Squidhead

Dinosawer
Dinosawer wrote:Well, important things first.
I'll let the Willem Tell Overture play over the comms.
While I do that, I'll fly to the Tartarus' docking bay, when I get there I'll slow down, and dock if I still have time.
You let the William Tell Overture play over the comms, trying to listen to it and stay awake as you fly up to Tartarus's docking bay, following behind Karthus. SCAMPS seems to be steering everyone to bay 56 - you follow your platoonmates there, eyeing the large turrets pointed at you warily, and land. They even marked a spot out for you, your name hastily sprayed down with dark spray paint. It looks as though someone else's name might've been there long ago, but it's been scratched away to the point you can barely read it.

But it doesn't matter. You slump over your controls, feeling a deep sense of relief and fatigue pass over you; a smile twitches at your lips. It was a tough mission, but... at least for now...

You're back.

Squidhead
Cornflakes_91 wrote:
Squidhead wrote: flies towards the tartarus while staying near-ish to dino, listening closely to him if he sounds like losing consciousness or rationality, if dino gets unable to fly his ship, grab his ship with mines' claws and bring dino to the tartarus.
dock afterwards

"We seem to have lost our small sentient blob, he seems to have jumped off me at some point.
Plus one to our losses."
You follow Dino up, staying close by in case he loses it. He seems at least partially to: you soon hear the William Tell Overture playing over the comms, a little louder than you would've liked. All the same, you're glad to finally be getting back to the Tartarus. It's not home, but it's a hell of a lot better than the shit you've put up with over the course of the past hour.

While the Tartarus did park "close", "close" appears to be relative - it's a good minute before you arrive, herding Dinosawer towards docking bay 56. You eye the dockside turrets warily as you approach - they still have you cleanly in their sights - but you're soon past them, landing safely in the bay beside Dino.

You're back.

Francis
DigitalDuck wrote:"And away we go! Got room for two in there?"

Fly to the Tartarus, land Kai'isha in her bay.

"Kai'isha, I'm disengaging the clamps. Make sure you're parked up."

When she's ready, disengage and travel to and land in other designated bay.

"Anyone missing?"
Being careful not to fly too fast, you head upwards, carrying Kai'isha's wrecked ship beneath you. Your ship is very clearly off-balance with it, and you have to accelerate a little more slowly than you might otherwise to keep from dropping her, but you manage. It takes a steady hand to do what you're doing right now, but you've got it down. Those same skills you had originally hoped would help you dodge and flee ended up helping you save a crew member's life - who would've thought? Maybe your teammates were right: you're not so useless after all, if you can manage to get out of your comfort zone.

Before long, you've reached the docking bay - docking bay 56. After depositing Kai'isha carefully on her landing pad, you fly over to your own, and land. It's been a tough mission, and a scary one, but hey.

You're back.

MISSION DEBRIEF
"All right, we're headed out. Those of you who are wounded, I expect you to go with the medics and get to the hospital ASAP - no piddling around or wasting their time. Leave everything you have in the hangar - our officers will collect what you've recovered and record it in their reports. Anything that isn't physically attached to you will be confiscated."

You climb carefully from your cockpit, sweeping your eyes across the row of parked CASKETs. Of your thirty-strong platoon, only nine remain, in only eight CASKET. "Milk run" indeed. As you watch, the Tartarus begins to slowly drift away from the field. A blue field shimmers at the hangar's entrance as the force field kicks in, and the hangar swiftly fills with air. Meanwhile, behind you, engineers and medics are coming in to repair the ship and carry away the wounded.

"Move, people! We need to get these items processed! The anomaly isn't changing course towards us, so we're fine. Move!" SCAMPS says, but you ignore him. Instead, you turn and look out through the force field, watching the asteroid field as the Tartarus turns and begins to move away. CHIARA is talking in the background, ordering the staff around - but you hardly hear her, instead looking out at the four turrets in the field: one has collapsed, another has shattered, one sits idly. The final one suddenly turns away from the Tartarus's laser, aiming towards the left: it pumps out a series of plasma bursts as you get ever farther from it, which accelerate to warp speed after they travel a few kilometers out. They're not firing at the Tartarus, though, but out towards the distance - and right then, as you watch, you see the dark space drop from warp, completely blotting out the stars behind it. It's not a ship - it's a blob-like void, with edges that shift and change as you gaze upon it. If it wasn't moving, you might not even know it was there, but instead feel like it was simply a darker point among the stars. It is moving, though, and rapidly.

You continue watching it, mesmerized, as the Tartarus staff and your crew mills around behind you. The dark space seems perfectly capable of dodging the shots from the western turret - you almost wish you'd left a couple more of them standing. It's clear now what they were for: to keep the dark space away.

And it soon becomes clear why. As the dark space reaches the asteroid field, you keep expecting it to slow, but it doesn't: instead, it moves towards the final firing turret, ignoring it almost completely - its surface shudders with a pinkish-purple light for a moment, and you can almost make out some short of shape beneath its inky veil... but then it's gone. In one swift motion, the dark space completely erases that portion of the asteroid belt from existence.

"HOLY SHIT!" SCAMPS chokes out in horror, along with surprised screams and gasps from the nearby staff. "CHIARA, is up-top watching this? Make them get us the FUKC out of here!! And get those inmates back to the main areas, NOW! I'm declaring the hangar off-limits to all personnel D-ranked or lower."

As you watch, the dark space completely fades away, and then reappears several hundred kilometers down the line, erasing a more distant portion of the field. But that's all you have time to see: you feel a firm hand on your shoulder and turn around, staring into the face of a heavily-armored security officer, who leads you out of the hangars. Before you turn the corner into the first hallway, you turn back in time to see the Tartarus accelerate to warp speeds, leaving the Chilendorn system behind as the dark space continues its rampage.

You feel a slight chill running down your spine as you process what you just saw, and wonder what it means.

~~~

As you later learn, up-top decided to count your mission as two, given how many people died and how much tech was brought back. Some of you wake up in the infirmary, while others of you simply stroll out of the Hangar and find the documents delivered to your quarters later.

BFett
  Credits earned: 18
  Promotion points earned: 0
  Promotion offer: None (Airman)
  Stat/Skill points: 20
  Inventory: - Particle gun (2 creds)

Dr. Cha0zz
  Credits earned: 20
  Promotion points earned: 3
  Promotion offer: Corporal
  Inventory: - Microwave Field Manipulator (3 creds)

Dinosawer
  Credits earned: 16
  Promotion points earned: 2
  Promotion offer: Promoted to Airman 1st Class (Honorary Corporal)
  Inventory: - Electrolaser (2 creds)
    - Cargo Pod (1 cred)

Foreigner
  Credits earned: 14
  Promotion points earned: 4
  Promotion offer: Corporal
  Inventory: - Medical kit (2 creds, restocked)

Francis
  Credits earned: 12
  Promotion points earned: -2
  Promotion offer: Demoted to Cadet
  Inventory: - Afterburner System (3 creds)
    - Horn (1 cred)

isssss-hh
  Credits earned: 10
  Inventory: - Barium anion sticks (2 creds)
    - Lead-coated waste holding bag (1 cred, emptied)
    - Portable infrared Solar Heater (2 creds)

Karthus
  Credits earned: 18
  Promotion points earned: 2.5, 1.5 pending
  Promotion offer: Promoted to Airman 1st Class
  Inventory: - Mountable Camera (1 cred)
    - Particle gun (2 creds)

Kai'isha
  Credits earned: 10
  Promotion points earned: 1
  Promotion offer: None (Airman)
  Inventory: - Repair kit (2 creds, restocked)
    - Pressure globe (2 creds, restocked)

Squidhead
  Credits earned: 16
  Promotion points earned: 2
  Promotion offer: Promoted to Airman 1st Class
  Inventory: - Repair Kit (2 creds, restocked)
    - Thruster pack (3 creds)
    - Medkit (2 creds, restocked)
    - Cargo pod
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

((Thanks for the cool mission! Was really a nice adventure and experience!

Questions: what was Issss'hh before becoming cadet? What other (lower) rank can he/it target? Do cadets get more or less Barium anion sticks?
Anyway, happy to stay together with Francis as cadet - gives me more opportunities to taste his brass ;)

))

DigitalDuck wrote:
CSE wrote:((gives me more opportunities to taste his brass ;)))
(( Ooh, matron. ))
((This time, my english is not sufficient. Matron is an old lady or (after looking im a dictionary) apparently a head-nurse. I do not get the meaning in our context...))

CSE wrote:((Thanks for the cool mission! Was really a nice adventure and experience!

Questions: what was Issss'hh before becoming cadet? What other (lower) rank can he/it target? Do cadets get more or less Barium anion sticks?
Anyway, happy to stay together with Francis as cadet - gives me more opportunities to taste his brass ;)

))
((The rank above Cadet is Airman, which is what everybody starts out as. I drew from real life air force ranks because they're more familiar than coming up with an entirely new system. And, I don't have any ranks below cadet. :P The rank itself doesn't mean much, though, except for show (and how willing NPCs are to listen to you), so you haven't really lost much. :)

and I have no idea what DigitalDuck means either. :P))
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Talvieno wrote: The rank itself doesn't mean much, though, except for show (and how willing NPCs are to listen to you), so you haven't really lost much...
((Yeah, cause I have a track record of being listened to! That will be dramatically different...))

CSE wrote:((This time, my english is not sufficient. Matron is an old lady or (after looking im a dictionary) apparently a head-nurse. I do not get the meaning in our context...))
(( I'm referencing the Carry On films and other bawdy films of the 70s. "Ooh, matron," "Oo-er missus," and other such phrases were used in a manner similar to "that's what she said" to highlight double entendres. ))
Games I like, in order of how much I like them. (Now permanent and updated regularly!)

Online Now