Return to “REKT”

Re: REKT: Mission Thread

Okay, that was weird. I can do it on purpose? Kinda?
(( Am I allowed to know how it even works? Does it roll something? ))

I'll hobble out the airlock with the rest, and when everyone is out I'll poke the button panel outside with Francis' crowbar to close it again, and then I'll give the crowbar back.
Then I'll hobble to my ship and get inside, using my 2 arms and 1 undamaged leg to climb in.

"Francis, I need you to do something. First, help Kai'isha get her repair kit back in its slot.
Then:
Kai'isha's ship is damaged to the point that it doesn't fly properly. When she's safely in her cockpit, I need you to fly your ship above hers, and use your landing electromagnetic clamps to attach your ship to hers.
That way, when the Tartarus arrives in a minute or two you can tow her ship back with yours.
You got al that?"

Then I'll turn my ship back on, close and pressurize the cockpit and stuff.
When that's done, I'll take off and fly out of the hangar a bit (staying in the asteroids shadow) to make room.
And then I'll activate the engines' radiator panels too make sure the cooling can keep up.

"Oh by the way, Squidhead - you still have my repair kit I guess? Well, you can keep it - consider it a "thank you"-gift for saving my life. Twice."

It's not like I can use it anyway...
Last edited by Dinosawer on Sun Sep 13, 2015 6:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
Warning: do not ask about physics unless you really want to know about physics.
The LT IRC / Alternate link || The REKT Wiki || PUDDING

Good job BFett.

SCAMPS, about the suit problem. The guys back at the TARTARUS must be real geniuses, they never thought of it that the best way to not get a punctured suit was to simply do nothing? Well yeah sure, that could work, but I somehow don't think that you would let us back on the ship if we had done ... nothing. SO TELL THE FUKCING IDIOTS OVER THERE THAT THEY NEED TO INCLUDE A BASIC SUIT-REPAIR KIT IN OUR STANDARD EQUIPMENT.

And you guys who are still down there, I think that it's a good idea if we start leaving this place... Unless you want to find out what the dark space does. But that would be an idiotic risk wouldn't it. (smug smile)

Walk over to the airlock, if BFett isn't there yet: reset the airlock with a piece of scrap metal (or if squid didn't reset the airlock).
If I meet Karthus before the airlock is reset, give him the duct tape and tell him to patch the hole in his suit with it.
Else: put the duct tape outside the airlock and tell Karthus that I left duct tape outside the airlock for him to patch his suit with.

Enter the airlock, if BFett wants to cycle the airlock while only we two are in there, tell him to wait for the others (not too long though: don't stay in the base until the next turn).
While waiting for the airlock to cycle/ waiting for the others: perform an XRD and IR on the cooling gas sample.

Once the airlock is cycled, leave the airlock.
Last edited by Cha0zz on Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:02 am, edited 3 times in total.
LT Wiki | IRC | REKT Wiki
Idiots. Idiots everywhere. ~Dr. Cha0zz

Foreigner wrote:
Well shit.

Take the disabled drone and put it into my backpack. Put the crowbar back as well. Pick up my metal bar.

Squid-buddy, if you don't need my blowtorch I'd love to get it back sometime soon.

Walk around the room and the lab, looking for things of value such as hand-held instruments. Loot stuff.

Throw an apologetic look at the stasis pods.

I'm sorry, trans-dimensional folks. I'm useless, and I've always been so.

Walk towards the airlock, and enter it.

Survivor of the Josh Parnell Blackout of 2015.

walk to the airlock and take the duct tape from Choazz and repair my suit. Once I'm outside walk to my tether and climb up to my ship.
Scytale wrote: Look, I know people suck. That's the whole point! My question is, are you going to be as horrible as the mob, or are you going to work to be better?

Talvieno wrote:
Jetison333 wrote:walk to the airlock and take the duct tape from Choazz and repair my suit. Once I'm outside walk to my tether and climb up to my ship.
((Your suit is perfectly fine - it was your Gauss rifle that got blasted.))
((Didn't I get a spike through the hand to open the airlock?))
Scytale wrote: Look, I know people suck. That's the whole point! My question is, are you going to be as horrible as the mob, or are you going to work to be better?

Squidhead wrote: tries to replicate the view/mindstate that the orb caused before, if successful try to find a button that looks like "open" on the airlock's control panel.
if that doesnt give results, chose at random (in hope of opening the airlock)
uses the hand with the welded-off fingers to operate the panel

"guys, im going to wait at you in the airlock, hurry up"

walks into the airlock and waits for the others coming here, once all are here, cycle the airlock using goatmans hand (again), and hand the blowtorch over to outlander

Turn 55
Time: 1.0 minutes until next pulsar sweep, 5.5 minutes until dark space ETA (1.5 minutes used)
Spoiler:      SHOW
Squad 1: BFett, Dr. Cha0zz, Karthus

Dr. Cha0zz
Cha0zz wrote:Good job BFett.

SCAMPS, about the suit problem. The guys back at the TARTARUS must be real geniuses, they never thought of it that the best way to not get a punctured suit was to simply do nothing? Well yeah sure, that could work, but I somehow don't think that you would let us back on the ship if we had done ... nothing. SO TELL THE FUKCING IDIOTS OVER THERE THAT THEY NEED TO INCLUDE A BASIC SUIT-REPAIR KIT IN OUR STANDARD EQUIPMENT.

And you guys who are still down there, I think that it's a good idea if we start leaving this place... Unless you want to find out what the dark space does. But that would be an idiotic risk wouldn't it. (smug smile)

Walk over to the airlock, if BFett isn't there yet: reset the airlock with a piece of scrap metal (or if squid didn't reset the airlock).
If I meet Karthus before the airlock is reset, give him the duct tape and tell him to patch the hole in his suit with it.
Else: put the duct tape outside the airlock and tell Karthus that I left duct tape outside the airlock for him to patch his suit with.

Enter the airlock, if BFett wants to cycle the airlock while only we two are in there, tell him to wait for the others (not too long though: don't stay in the base until the next turn).
While waiting for the airlock to cycle/ waiting for the others: perform an XRD and IR on the cooling gas sample.

Once the airlock is cycled, leave the airlock.
"SCAMPS, about the suit problem," you begin, and then explain your argument about how they should include suit repair kits quite eloquently, finishing with, "SO TELL THE FUKCING IDIOTS OVER THERE THAT THEY NEED TO INCLUDE A BASIC SUIT-REPAIR KIT!"

"Yeah, fine, fine," SCAMPS says. "Geez, you'd think this was a life-and-death situation or something. Yeah, I'll bring it up when they make some modifications to me next week."

You feel a little bit better about things, and warn everyone that it might be a good idea to get moving, "Unless you want to find out what the dark space does - but that would be an idiotic risk, wouldn't it be." You smile smugly at your little joke, wondering if any of them are going to be stupid enough to stay. Given what you've seen so far - quite possibly.

You head over to the airlock, getting ready to leave. When you go to pick up a piece of scrap, Squidhead motions for you to stop - he's already working on it himself, chipping away bits of his tentacles in an attempt to get it to open. And, eventually, it does. You enter with him, and start work on trying to get a good XRD or infrared scan. The infrared scan shows that it would probably be unbelievably cold when compressed, which you already knew - and the XRD shows that it's an anomalous material. You already pretty much knew that too. As you work, BFett soon shows up, followed by Karthus and finally Foreigner. BFett and Squidhead get to work on cycling the airlock, and before long, that's done too - the door to the base softly shuts behind you, the air evacuates the room, and the iris to the hangar opens.

You step out into the hangar after Karthus, looking around. Getting out of here in time could prove... interesting.

isssss-hh
Everyone is rushing to leave. You stay clinging tight to Squidhead's body, watching him as he loses tasty bits of his appendages to the strange shifting areas. If you concentrate, you can see pretty clearly exactly which buttons he ought to be pressing, but he continues pressing them at random - and eventually, the door opens. He rushes inside, and soon everyone else does too. Before long, he and BFett have the airlock cycled, opening the door to the outside world.

BFett
BFett wrote:"I just cut the drone's connection with the central computer of this place. It's safe to pick up and take with us."

Jog over to my backpack, put it on and head to the airlock at a brisk pace. Pick up scrap metal by the airlock door and use it to activate the airlock if my side is closed. Otherwise, enter the airlock and use Goatman's hand to activate it once Dr. Cha0zz has entered the airlock.
BFett wrote:Briefly waits for others to get to airlock before activating it as Cha0zz suggested.
Leaving the drone where it is, you jog quickly out of the room, pick up your backpack, and jog up to the airlock. It's already opened by the time you get there, so you go inside and wait impatiently for Foreigner and Karthus to quit fiddling around. Karthus shows up soon, and after what feels like ages, Foreigner arrives too. You get to work on using what's left of Goatman's arms to cycle the airlock, and eventually, you manage; the door shuts behind you, the air evacuates, and the door to the hangar opens.

Karthus
Jetison333 wrote:walk to the airlock and take the duct tape from Choazz and repair my suit. Once I'm outside walk to my tether and climb up to my ship.
You walk calmly out of the room, passing Foreigner who seems to be busy looting the place, and up the stairs, head towards the airlock. Once you arrive, you snag Dr. Cha0zz's duct tape and use it to repair your suit a little more. It's a cleaner patch than Dr. Cha0zz's - not perfect, but it'll do for now. You only need it long enough to get in your ship. With that done, you take off the piece of wire that's been tightly bound to your wrist and flex your fingers, trying to work the blood back into your hand. It tingles a little, but you'll be all right.

Before long, Squidhead and BFett begin trying to cycle the airlock, and soon manage. The doors to the alien complex slide shut, the air evacuates the chamber, and the iris door to the outside slides open silently.

Everyone else mostly remains behind in the airlock; you, however, move ahead to your ship. When you arrive at the dangling tether, you jump up, gripping it as tightly in your hands as possible, wrapping your legs around it to keep from falling. One hand after the other, you make slow, but steady progress upwards. Your arms ache from the exertion; you feel your suit struggling to keep up with the amount of moisture you're putting into it - but before long, you make it to the top, lodging yourself up against the sides of the cockpit with your feet and quickly tabbing the button to close the canopy. When it finishes, you fall flat on your face as the cockpit's gravity takes hold - but at least you're in your ship. That was a mite uncomfortable, but it worked. Getting upright might be a little more difficult - the cockpit is rather cramped.

((you're lucky. that was a 17% chance of climbing that tether without bad side effects.))

Squad 3: Foreigner, Kai'isha

Foreigner
outlander4 wrote:
Foreigner wrote:
Well shit.

Take the disabled drone and put it into my backpack. Put the crowbar back as well. Pick up my metal bar.

Squid-buddy, if you don't need my blowtorch I'd love to get it back sometime soon.

Walk around the room and the lab, looking for things of value such as hand-held instruments. Loot stuff.

Throw an apologetic look at the stasis pods.

I'm sorry, trans-dimensional folks. I'm useless, and I've always been so.

Walk towards the airlock, and enter it.

You feel somewhat disappointed that you didn't manage to land the final blow.

Kneeling down, you pick up the undamaged drone and put it in your backpack, along with the crowbar. The drone is surprisingly light - you're quite sure you could manage to carry one of these with you on a mission. You'll have to ask the people at R&D about this... but for now, you need to worry about the here and now. You go pick up your crowbar and then walk around the room, looking for anything else of value. And, in fact, there is - two damaged but mostly-intact drones, and a ton of little strange odds and ends in the laboratory. You loot as much of it as you can (at least the stuff that looks useful) and then prepare to leave.

Standing in the doorway before the stairs, you give one last, final, lingering look towards the stasis pods; the woman's voice lingers in your mind, calling your name - but now, it is nothing more than a memory. "I'm sorry, trans-dimensional folks," you say softly. "I'm useless, and I've always been so..." Breathing out a deep sigh, you turn and head up the stairs.

The others are all waiting for you inside the airlock - Karthus, BFett, Squidhead, and Dr. Cha0zz - they hurriedly rush you inside and get to work cycling the doors. After Squidhead and BFett manage to get it going, Squidhead hands you your blowtorch back, and you give him a grateful nod. All is as it should be.

A few seconds later, the doors open, revealing the hangar, and a dejected feeling sets over you again. It's the last time you'll ever be inside this base, more likely than not... and it saddens you to know that it's yet another world you couldn't save... just like your old home. Your eyes stray, stealing over Goatman's corpse. This time, just like before, people died along the way and there was still nothing you could do... but at least this time, none of them were by your own hand...

...even though you tried.

Squad 4: Dinosawer, Francis (with isssss'hh), Squidhead

Dinosawer
Dinosawer wrote:Okay, that was weird. I can do it on purpose? Kinda?
(( Am I allowed to know how it even works? Does it roll something? ))

I'll hobble out the airlock with the rest, and when everyone is out I'll poke the button panel outside with Francis' crowbar to close it again, and then I'll give the crowbar back.
Then I'll hobble to my ship and get inside, using my 2 arms and 1 undamaged leg to climb in.

"Francis, I need you to do something. First, help Kai'isha get her repair kit back in its slot.
Then:
Kai'isha's ship is damaged to the point that it doesn't fly properly. When she's safely in her cockpit, I need you to fly your ship above hers, and use your landing electromagnetic clamps to attach your ship to hers.
That way, when the Tartarus arrives in a minute or two you can tow her ship back with yours.
You got al that?"

Then I'll turn my ship back on, close and pressurize the cockpit and stuff.
When that's done, I'll take off and fly out of the hangar a bit (staying in the asteroids shadow) to make room.
And then I'll activate the engines' radiator panels too make sure the cooling can keep up.

"Oh by the way, Squidhead - you still have my repair kit I guess? Well, you can keep it - consider it a "thank you"-gift for saving my life. Twice."

It's not like I can use it anyway...
((It rolls nothing. Happy to answer any questions you have. (Okay, that's a lie, but I'll answer some :P)))
You limp out of the airlock, hopping and trying to put as little pressure on your leg as possible. After everyone is out, you tap the crowbar on the button panel to get it to cycle. After a few tries, it seems to get the idea and the airlock iris door shuts itself obediently.

"Francis, I need you to do something," you say, ignoring the look of horror on his face as you give the crowbar back. You explain how he needs to help Kai'isha get situated and then grab her ship with his electromagnetic clamps. He seems to understand, and heads off with her, leaving you to limp back to your own ship.

When you arrive, you pull yourself painfully, weakly into your cockpit, just barely managing to slump into the seat. From there, it's easy, despite your arms feeling weak and heavy - you start the ship, close the canopy and pressurize the cockpit. Once that's done, you fire up the thrusters to balance the gravity and shift carefully to the left until you're free of the hangar, and activate the engines' radiator panels once you're far enough away. The engines seem to be having a little trouble cooling themselves - but you should hopefully be able to make it back to the Tartarus in one piece. One piece, yes... but as to the condition, it doesn't look good.

Squidhead
Cornflakes_91 wrote:
Squidhead wrote: tries to replicate the view/mindstate that the orb caused before, if successful try to find a button that looks like "open" on the airlock's control panel.
if that doesnt give results, chose at random (in hope of opening the airlock)
uses the hand with the welded-off fingers to operate the panel

"guys, im going to wait at you in the airlock, hurry up"

walks into the airlock and waits for the others coming here, once all are here, cycle the airlock using goatmans hand (again), and hand the blowtorch over to outlander
For a moment, you strain your mind, standing in front of the airlock, trying to replicate the mindstate you were in before down in the alien base's underbelly. It's completely useless - all you see is the same bugged, static feed from your cameras. And then, you get an idea, and ignore the incoming visuals completely, concentrating on the view/mindstate you had earlier - your cameras are of course still just cameras.

And that's when things begin to change: the air around you seems to swirl; although you're no longer focusing on the transmissions from your eye cams, you can see everything around you with shifting clarity. Terrified figures rush past you in a multi-layered panic, limping and choking as they pile into the airlock - which, in their universe, is already open, and looks considerably brighter than it does here. The shifting panel is still just a shifting panel, though. Although you're able to see it layered multi-universally, you can't make your tentacles stretch outwards from your own dimensions; you're trapped within your own. You're merely a spectator.

All the same, it's interesting to know that whatever that... thing, did to you - that sphere, the device you now grasp tightly in your fingers - it remained with you. Did it "upgrade" you somehow, with some advanced form of surgery? What were those metallic rivulets you noticed? Nanobots? Something else, something new?

You let yourself slip from the vision, just in time for Dr. Cha0zz to arrive beside you. He picks up a piece of debris - one of the ones he'd tossed into the hallway before - but you hold up a tentacle to stop him, and press the data panel yourself. The experience is unnerving; it's as though the tips of your tentacle are simply gone; vanished into one of those universes. You let your mind drift into the vision briefly once more - just long enough to see the pieces of your tentacle falling to the floor, scattered across several different "layers" of reality - and the airlock door opens.

You get inside, just as BFett and Karthus arrive, and get ready to cycle the airlock - this time using Goatman's hand. There's a dark red slurry dripping down the front of the console - presumably it used to be part of his flesh. It's disgusting, but you, being a doctor, feel nothing at it.

When Foreigner finally arrives, panting, you and BFett both press two of Goatman's arm stumps against the interface - and the doors behind you close. Letting what's left of Goatman's arms fall to the floor, you turn around and hand the blowtorch to Foreigner, just as the doors to the hangar open.

Francis
DigitalDuck wrote:"Noooo! My crowbar! We had such good times together!" Put away what's left of the crowbar in sadness.

"Okay Dinosawer. If there's one thing I can do well, it's getting out of here."

Help Kai'isha get her repair kit back in its slot. Try not to break it.

Get in ship, pressurise, do all pre-flight checks. Breathe.
"Noooo! My crowbar!" you moan, looking at the object and biting your lip as you shake your head sadly. "We had such good times together..." Heaving a sigh, you deposit what remains of the object in your backpack, as you listen to Dinosawer giving you orders - orders to leave. To finally leave this accursed place. "Okay, Dinosawer," you say with a determined nod. "If there's one thing I can do well, it's getting out of here."

You help Kai'isha roll her repair kit over to what remains of her ship and put it back in the nearest auxiliary cargo slot. She's got a broken leg, and you've got a missing hand, but you manage it together - she looks at you and smiles gratefully; through her visor, you can faintly see her eyes glistening with tears. She's scared, just like you - but you're still moving. "This is the definition of courage, right?" she whispers. "Doing something even though you're afraid?"

You return her smile with a soft one of her own, and with a nod, the two of you part ways, getting into your ships. You pile everything into the storage compartment - it's a little harder with just one hand, but you're slowly getting used to that - and you sit down, buckle, seal the cockpit, pressurize - and take in a nice, deep breath. It's so good to be back in your ship, where you feel in control.
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

((so francis feels in control, but im upside down :ghost: :D ))
try to spin myself around so im upside right. After I manage to spin myseft around take off and fly outside.

BFett carries Goatman's body to his ship then sets Goatman down outside of it. BFett opens the canopy, and places his backpack inside the storage compartment. If there is room for Goatman's body then he also puts that in the compartment as well. BFett then closes the canopy and prepares to exit the hanger.

((Talvieno, you forgot to do my XRD and IR scan on the cooling gas sample previous turn))

"Yeah, fine, fine," SCAMPS says. "Geez, you'd think this was a life-and-death situation or something. Yeah, I'll bring it up when they make some modifications to me next week."

[thinking] The stupid idiot seems to be completely detached from reality and is too stupid to realize that this very well could be a life-or-death situation. And that's the idiot that plans our mission, we might be very lucky to get out of here alive with such idiots at the top. [/thinking]

Walk over to my ship and put all my samples, bag pack and weapons back in the appropriate compartments, then take place into my ship.
Do a systems check and prepare the ship for take-off.

if I see BFett dragging goatman's corpse around:
BFett, do you think that it is a good idea to take that psychopath back to base? I mean unless we can tamper with his brains a little, I would leave him here.

... [grin] ...

Actually, SCAMPS, what equipment do you have back at base to revive a death person? Do you have the capability of reprogramming the persons' brain? Surely you do right? A couple of simple chemical cocktails could do a whole lot...
LT Wiki | IRC | REKT Wiki
Idiots. Idiots everywhere. ~Dr. Cha0zz

Online Now